What's new

Mimi Faust called “tar baby," “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” by Scientology members

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
“Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta” star Mimi Faust called “tar baby," “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” as a child by Scientology members.

Madame Noire: “He Patted Me On The Head Like A Puppy” Mimi Faust Details Finding Out Dad Wasn’t Real Father At 16
http://madamenoire.com/489418/mimi-faust/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Mimi walked us through her childhood like we’ve never heard before. A lot of us were aware that Mimi’s mother chose scientology over her at the age of 13, but hearing Mimi describe being called “tar baby, “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” by fellow scientoligists before being kicked out onto the streets with tears in her eyes not only made us sympathize with Mimi but also respect her ability to take care of herself.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Part about Scientology begins at about 2:40 -

[video=youtube;75NgyLjY4lo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75NgyLjY4lo[/video]

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: Mimi Faust called “tar baby," “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” by Scientology member

“Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta” star Mimi Faust called “tar baby," “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” as a child by Scientology members.

Madame Noire: “He Patted Me On The Head Like A Puppy” Mimi Faust Details Finding Out Dad Wasn’t Real Father At 16
http://madamenoire.com/489418/mimi-faust/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Mimi walked us through her childhood like we’ve never heard before. A lot of us were aware that Mimi’s mother chose scientology over her at the age of 13, but hearing Mimi describe being called “tar baby, “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” by fellow scientoligists before being kicked out onto the streets with tears in her eyes not only made us sympathize with Mimi but also respect her ability to take care of herself.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Part about Scientology begins at about 2:40 -

[video=youtube;75NgyLjY4lo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75NgyLjY4lo[/video]

This is an interesting story and heartbreaking and captures perhaps the worst part of Scientology, which is:
condoning the abandonment of children,
ignoring the responsibility of parents, and
assisting the destruction of families.

Mimi's case wasn't rare at all. Even in a CLV org or mission the idea of a keeping a strong and close family is nearly impossible. I left nearly 30 years ago and I'm still trying to mend fences due to the silly logic of PTS Type A handlings, incorrectly assuming family members were evil and putting Scientology way before family.

olska

Re: Mimi Faust called “tar baby," “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” by Scientology member

wow -- thanks so much for posting this!

I kinda knew this girl, I met her at least once and knew her whole story back when she was a teenager, through one of the friends that she used to stay with after she was abandoned on the streets of L.A. ... I had no idea she had grown up to be on TV...her particular story/experience is one of the very BIG reasons why I turned away from scientology all those many years ago. Nice to know she's forgiven her mother... I haven't.

It is so, so good to see her grown up and doing so well -- she's definitely a survivor!

Looking forward to parts 2 and 3, any idea where to find those? on the net already?

Sindy

Crusader

Rough story! :bigcry: Strong lady.

Leland

Crusader

Thank you CommunicatorIC for posting another block buster thread/story.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

OMG! This is bring me to tears :bigcry: Thank you for speaking out, Mimi Faust. You deserved so much better.

Yeah, she's putting on a brave front for the cameras, but you can see in her eyes & the way she speaks, she is still carrying emotional baggage from that bad experience. I hope she avails herself to some sort of therapy to come to terms with it all.

Very sad.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yeah, she's putting on a brave front for the cameras, but you can see in her eyes & the way she speaks, she is still carrying emotional baggage from that bad experience. I hope she avails herself to some sort of science based therapy to come to terms with it all.

Very sad.
fixt

Bea Kiddo

Crusader

What a sad story. I have been trying to place her and do not remember her. I do know both her mother and the other female in the picture. I was trying to determine what years she would have been on the Sea Org base. Mace Kingsley moved to Silverlake sometime in the late 80's. The Sea Org kids were also being schooled in the same building as Mace Kingsley. Mace Kingsley was mainly full of Scientology kids whose parents paid for schooling. I wonder if she was in the Sea Org classes or Mace Kingsley proper?

Kemist

Patron with Honors

Wow.

It takes some guts to slide back that billion years contract to them as an adult, and she did that at 13 years old, knowing she'd become homeless. She had probably been pestered by them many times by then too, and told all sorts of horrible things about the outside world, but she just wouldn't be brainwashed.

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron

She is one courageous, intelligent, strong woman. It is remarkable what she has made of her life considering the complete abandonment by her mother. One false move, one misstep during her adolescence and she could have had a completely ruined life.

Her mom deserves a special place in hell. So does every cultist that encouraged her to put her own daughter out on the street because she would not sign a SO contract...at 13 years old!

tetloj

I wonder if she was in the Sea Org classes or Mace Kingsley proper?

She was a student at the Mace-Kingsley school in Silver Lake (named for its founders, two Scientologists; today the place is in Clearwater, Florida, and is an after-school center for kids to get Scientology auditing). For the rest of the school year, Mimi says, she had to scramble to find a place to stay each night

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/08/scientology_mimi_faust_vh1_lhhatl.php

tetloj

I forgot that Tony wrote about her in a full article. I knew stuff had been written... thanks for the link. All the info about her mom is there in the article and comments. :thumbsup:
If anyone had any doubts about her interview it is completely consistent with this earlier interview with Tony.

Embedded in the article are links to an additional story about Mimi's mother's roles in the Sea Org/OSA

olska

What a sad story. I have been trying to place her and do not remember her. I do know both her mother and the other female in the picture. I was trying to determine what years she would have been on the Sea Org base. Mace Kingsley moved to Silverlake sometime in the late 80's. The Sea Org kids were also being schooled in the same building as Mace Kingsley. Mace Kingsley was mainly full of Scientology kids whose parents paid for schooling. I wonder if she was in the Sea Org classes or Mace Kingsley proper?

She was part of some loosely-run class by some guy who taught the kids enough to qualify for their GED -- not a SO school or Mace Kingsley. I don't recall his name, might have been Larry something... I didn't actually know him, only know this because that's how the friend I knew (one of her teenage peers) who sometimes took her in was "educated." She was born in 1970 (this info comes up in a google search) so would have been 13 in 1983. It was sometime after that -- maybe 2,3 years -- when I met her (very briefly) and then later heard, from her friend, the whole saga. Didn't know what had become of her until now. She has a website and is obviously working at being a "public personality" so maybe she will reveal more of her history as time goes on.

She was one of a bunch of kids her age, with scientologist parents my age, who were pretty much abandoned and left to run wild and make their own way in L.A. from an early age. This behavior (of the PARENTS) was sanctioned by other scientologists -- not just CoS management, but by other PUBLIC scientologists as well -- and when the kids couldn't "make it go right" to become model citizens perfect angel dedicated scientologists, blame fell on the children, not the parents.

That's why I really don't buy the "Oh, I didn't KNOW what was going on...." excuse from back in that day, and it still makes me angry.

So glad to see you, Bea, doing so well in life; and now to see this young woman making her way so boldly. Proof that there is, indeed, life after scientology!

Edit: OK, just saw the article by Tony O. -- new to me. It says Mace Kingsley school, so that's probably right... the friend I knew went to that other class I mentioned above.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader

She was part of some loosely-run class by some guy who taught the kids enough to qualify for their GED -- not a SO school or Mace Kingsley. I don't recall his name, might have been Larry something... I didn't actually know him, only know this because that's how the friend I knew (one of her teenage peers) who sometimes took her in was "educated." She was born in 1970 (this info comes up in a google search) so would have been 13 in 1983. It was sometime after that -- maybe 2,3 years -- when I met her (very briefly) and then later heard, from her friend, the whole saga. Didn't know what had become of her until now. She has a website and is obviously working at being a "public personality" so maybe she will reveal more of her history as time goes on.

She was one of a bunch of kids her age, with scientologist parents my age, who were pretty much abandoned and left to run wild and make their own way in L.A. from an early age. This behavior (of the PARENTS) was sanctioned by other scientologists -- not just CoS management, but by other PUBLIC scientologists as well -- and when the kids couldn't "make it go right" to become model citizens perfect angel dedicated scientologists, blame fell on the children, not the parents.

That's why I really don't buy the "Oh, I didn't KNOW what was going on...." excuse from back in that day, and it still makes me angry.

So glad to see you, Bea, doing so well in life; and now to see this young woman making her way so boldly. Proof that there is, indeed, life after scientology!

Edit: OK, just saw the article by Tony O. -- new to me. It says Mace Kingsley school, so that's probably right... the friend I knew went to that other class I mentioned above.

Thank you Olska. You are talking about Jerry. I think his last name was Owens. There were two horses that he either cared for or owned and he tried to teach the kids a little more about life in the real world and not just ramming Scn down our throats. There is a picture posted by Polly of the kids around that time. Is she in the pic, top left? (I am in it, second row, sitting down, second from the left in white shirt).

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-PAC-quot-SO-1985-Pics/page2&highlight=school (scroll down to 19th post by DullOldFart)

olska

Thank you Olska. You are talking about Jerry. I think his last name was Owens. There were two horses that he either cared for or owned and he tried to teach the kids a little more about life in the real world and not just ramming Scn down our throats. There is a picture posted by Polly of the kids around that time. Is she in the pic, top left? (I am in it, second row, sitting down, second from the left in white shirt).

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-PAC-quot-SO-1985-Pics/page2&highlight=school (scroll down to 19th post by DullOldFart)

I don't recognize any of the kids in the photo with you.

Parents of the kids I knew were not S.O., they were mostly staff or public at L.A. Org, where I was on lines (and later, staff) from 1976 forward until late 1978 -- some of the kids I knew fairly well, others I just knew "about." I heard stories about conditions for children and "cadets" in the Sea Org during that time, mostly from one of my adult friends (public) who had a daughter also about that age, and was in my opinion a good parent who also tried to help out the other kids as much as she could... but the only ones I knew personally were NOT in Sea Org, they were the children of fellow L.A. Org Staff, OR public scientologists that I knew during and after my time at L.A. Org.

I met the friend of Mimi after I was off staff, met Mimi once or twice (I don't remember) but didn't hear the whole story until much later, when she and friend would have been late teens, and by that time I was no longer involved, but was kinda "on the fence" about any future in scientology. Mimi's story helped me decide to never set foot in a CoS ever again, and I haven't.

In my opinion, even many of the PUBLIC scientology parents I knew had some very irresponsible and destructive attitudes about how to care for and educate their children (based on scientology tech and concepts such as ethics conditions, getting "auditing" for children who didn't behave as they wished rather than just having a good sit-down conversation with them, etc.), and the children suffered unnecessarily because of it -- though not to the degree as those with SO parents.

I also know that there are many, many examples of horrific child abuse that happens outside of scientology-world, some of which is so far worse than what happened to scientology children, that one might wonder why we get into these lengthy discussions about it... but if we are ever to stamp out ALL forms of child abuse, we must inform ourselves and attend to those things we've observed and experienced, even if they could be called "mild" in comparison to the worst. Every future generation depends on us to inform, educate, and RANT about neglect, abandonment and abuse until it is no more.

my 2 cents

phenomanon

Canyon

Mace and Kingsley were living in Silverlake and running a field practice in 1979/80 threreabouts. Debbie was case sup'ing some of my Field PCs.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader

Mace and Kingsley were living in Silverlake and running a field practice in 1979/80 threreabouts. Debbie was case sup'ing some of my Field PCs.

Oops, I stand corrected. I should have said that the ATA (Sea Org school for kids) moved in to where Mace Kingsley classes were held in Silverlake in the late 80's. (Mace Kingsley did not move, the ATA school moved in with them).