What's new

Monique reportedly fires her legal team.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
My first thought is maybe they just ran out of money to pay the legal bills. Or were the attorneys working on contingency basis only, i.e. they only get paid IF Rathbuns win?

Or something more fishy is going on?

This could get very interesting.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
Apparently we don't have all the important details; at this point it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. For example, Even if you are seeking a settlement why would you fire your legal team? Especially a legal team that's apparently done a pretty good job.

I believe it's called an out-of-court settlement, when your legal team does not negotiate the settlement. In other words, CoS could contact Monique privately, make an offer, have her sign this private agreement including stipulations (move to Guadalupe...have your names legally changed...don't ever talk about Scientology), deposit the $3M in her account, and then she can dismiss her case and the legal team, who would be paid for their work done.

Of course, something else could have gone on. I still think this is the most likely thing.

The huge advantage for CoS would be saving face. They could spin it as Monique just dropping her case.

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
Apparently we don't have all the important details; at this point it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. For example, Even if you are seeking a settlement why would you fire your legal team? Especially a legal team that's apparently done a pretty good job.

It could be that they settled for a boat load of cash and part of the deal was that they were to fire the legal team.

If that is the case I can't say that I would not do the same yet still I am disappointed. If this were officially Marty's case I would be even more disappointed because for him it is about taking down an organization that he helped to grow. But Monique had nothing to do with that, she was being harassed for being connected to him, so for that I really do understand if she takes the money and runs.

I looked on Marty's blog and didn't see anything about it. Again this seems to me like it may have to do with a settlement and gag order.

Lone Star

Crusader
[STRIKE]One thing's for sure, Marty ain't dumb when it comes to the fighting the cult. He would never recommend that Mosey do this unless there was a very good reason. My bet, along with a few others, is that the cult reached out privately and offered a settlement to make this whole thing go away. I'm also betting that the cult's legal team told DM that moving forward would not be a good thing after the anti-SLAPP slap down by the 3rd Court of Appeals.

We'll know more if you see Marty end up taking down his blog, or at least never mentioning anything about the cult on it ever again. Which means he'll never do interviews or speak out in any way, form, or fashion. No more hanging out with SP writers and documentary makers. A gag order will be very much a part of this deal. And there has got to be a deal here. No way would Marty allow Mosey to expose herself like this if there wasn't an agreement in place. Of course it is all behind the scenes and will remain that way....forever.[/STRIKE]

Never mind. After reading the document on Tony's blog I have no idea what is going on here. No settlement is even implied. Very bizarre.

Last edited:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I believe it's called an out-of-court settlement, when your legal team does not negotiate the settlement. In other words, CoS could contact Monique privately, make an offer, have her sign this private agreement including stipulations (move to Guadalupe...have your names legally changed...don't ever talk about Scientology), deposit the $3M in her account, and then she can dismiss her case and the legal team, who would be paid for their work done.

Of course, something else could have gone on. I still think this is the most likely thing.

The huge advantage for CoS would be saving face. They could spin it as Monique just dropping her case.

Yeah, seems likely. We'll probably never hear from Marty Rathbun again. If his website goes down, that would be a clue.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I also wonder if any of this has something to do with Marty's book not being quite the success he thought it would be. That would sure put stress on their relationship.

Lone Star

Crusader
Mosey's address on the legal document is in Ingleside on the Bay. Did they move back to the coast? Apparently they did. Otherwise it should be a Bulverde address.

The whole thing is strange and bizarre.

Last edited:

Terril park

Sponsor
Dunno If I've forgotten something important or what.
No mention of the case against RTC and DM. Maybe giving
up on suing Sloat Lebow etc allows more resources for taking on the big guns.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Mosey's address on the legal document is in Ingleside on the Bay. Did they move back to the coast? Apparently they did. Otherwise it should be a Bulverde address.

The whole thing is strange and bizarre. I'm finding myself giving less than a fuck.

I don't think any of it is bizarre if the honeymoon is over between Marty and Mosey. My hunch is that's what might be going on, in addition to anything else. Mosey would look out for herself and her child, above all else. Why not cut a deal and get out?

freethinker

Sponsor
The last thing put up on his website is a Dec 11th post about the Kindle edition of his book.

Prior to that was this post called "When Distraction Becomes Destructive with this little gem in it that I have never heard before.

"The 9/11 attacks in America were planned, trained-for, and staged from Hamburg Germany"

https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/

I also wonder if any of this has something to do with Marty's book not being quite the success he thought it would be. That would sure put stress on their relationship.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Could it be that it is really the legal team that wants out?

While we're in rampant speculation mode, could it be that some masked heavy with a shotgun contacted them with a video of some innocent family members (of Monique's) in the background and said this has gone on too long, fire the lawyers and _____ (?); breathe a word of this to anyone and we pull the trigger? Principles are all very well, but . . . .

Paul

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
I don't think any of it is bizarre if the honeymoon is over between Marty and Mosey. My hunch is that's what might be going on, in addition to anything else. Mosey would look out for herself and her child, above all else. Why not cut a deal and get out?

This makes a lot of sense. When they got married she probably never bargained for this. This law suit has to put a strain on the marriage. I didn't know that she has a kid. ( I assume it is hers and not his- please correct me if I'm wrong).

And really this is not her fight, she has no moral obligation to take on the cult.

Lone Star

Crusader
This makes a lot of sense. When they got married she probably never bargained for this. This law suit has to put a strain on the marriage. I didn't know that she has a kid. ( I assume it is hers and not his- please correct me if I'm wrong).

And really this is not her fight, she has no moral obligation to take on the cult.

They adopted a baby.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

I thought they adopted, but may be wrong about that. In any event, Mom responsibilities always come first. And I doubt he was paying very many bills with his book.

OHHHH! I just thought of another possibility. She bails out of the lawsuit, signing a non-disclosure agreement and settling for millions, and they separate/divorce. Marty agrees to nothing and FINALLY writes his TELL-ALL book and makes millions!

Wouldn't that be a kick?

Lone Star

Crusader
While we're in rampant speculation mode, could it be that some masked heavy with a shotgun contacted them with a video of some innocent family members (of Monique's) in the background and said this has gone on too long, fire the lawyers and _____ (?); breathe a word of this to anyone and we pull the trigger? Principles are all very well, but . . . .

Paul

Ahhh....once again....the usual suspects.....

th

Chess

Patron with Honors
Surprising??
Maybe, but then again, nothing and I mean nothing is straight or sane concerning the world of scientology. Marty is looney as a tune. I'd have to reckon Monique never contemplated, even in her wildest of dreams the outcome and consequence of what it would be like marrying a ex-scientology management type of person. The scars and motivations that position must inflict would most certainly be a lifelong affair. You just can't do what he did and ever look in the mirror again without reservation and expect life to be 'normal' for you and yours imo. Maybe they're just trying to "go hide someplace." Good luck with that! Maybe there's some shaky ground in their marriage... nothing is off the table with this scenario concerning the infection of scientology.
This game ain't over yet. But I truly hope we get some truth... that's something sorely missing in the crap surrounding scientology.