ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Monique reportedly fires her legal team.

Discussion in 'Monique Rathbun' started by George Layton, Feb 1, 2016.

1. lotus

lotus stubborn rebel sheep!

[​IMG]

:giggle:

Attached Files:

2. tetloj

tetloj Silver Meritorious Patron

Where's the lambo?

Bugger - posted before I saw Uncover's post and response with bus

I will be up to present time shortly

3. tetloj

It's kind of like hinting at new higher levels that will give you those special powers you have been promised for 5 decades. :yes:

4. afaceinthecrowd

afaceinthecrowd Gold Meritorious Patron

I think Rinder is trying to keep his Blog Site as cool, calm, collected and "clean" as possible. Marty is a lighting rod or, more accurately, a shit storm rod and his shtick, grandstading and attitude would trash up Rinder's Blog if he inadvertently lets it in via the "backdoor". Marty's Persona is not compatible with Rinder's refined style, satire and wit . Just my opinion.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  5. tetloj

Ooh TXLawyer back in the Bunker, nixing popular theories:

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/04/sc...ns-plans-to-ditch-lawsuit/#comment-2659164311
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/04/sc...ns-plans-to-ditch-lawsuit/#comment-2658605892

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/04/sc...ns-plans-to-ditch-lawsuit/#comment-2658478422
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/04/sc...ns-plans-to-ditch-lawsuit/#comment-2658574840
    Not sure how this will appear so will try and tidy up formatting after posting

6. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Re: There was a settlement. Period.

Texas Lawyer seems to be assuming that a settlement must call for the payment of money and/or have some required level of formality. It doesn't.

A settlement does not have to call for the payment of money.

A settlement does not require any given level of formality.

A settlement is simply a mutually agreed upon resolution of a legal action (lawsuit) resulting in the dismissal of that lawsuit.

I am confident that is what happened here.

Also, Texas Lawyer and some others seem to assume that "the primary purpose that the lawsuit was originally intended to serve" was the payment of money from the Church of Scientology to Monique Rathbun. In most cases, that is the primary purpose of a civil lawsuit, but that was not the primary purpose of this lawsuit. The primary purpose of this lawsuit was the termination of the Church of Scientology's harassment of Monique Rathbun. (Recall she obtained a temporary restraining order and temporary injunction.) It appears she has obtained that primary purpose -- the termination of the Church of Scientology's harassment of Monique Rathbun.

Does anyone seriously think the COS is going to start harassing the Rathbuns again once the legal action and temporary injunction are dismissed?

7. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

Marty is up to something and DM's vengeance of a 10 year old is shining right through it. First he fucks up the most effective legal team against Scientology I've seen and now he's throwing javelins at Tony Ortega, the most effective journalist against Scientology I've seen.

The "effectively accomplished what we could have without them" comment sticks out like a Scientology op painted blazing red.

There is something going on and Marty has an ominous smell coming from him right now.

None of this makes sense unless you add Scientology to it and then it all makes sense.

Whatever Monique accomplished was accomplished before the case was filed.

Ruin the lawyers and ruin the journalist was the deal.

This has DM painted all over it.

Scientology deals in ruin, ruin anything that gets in your way. That is the world of Scientology.

8. tetloj

And more:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/04/sc...ns-plans-to-ditch-lawsuit/#comment-2659192869

9. tetloj

It's theory whack-a-mole day:

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/04/sc...ns-plans-to-ditch-lawsuit/#comment-2658525262

10. tetloj

Anyone who has attorneys on contingency with an appellate team racking up a million dollars (time and effort) would have to have been on board with a financial damages claim. This case could not have been started without the understanding that a damages claim would be paying for the expertise. This is what was required to ensure the harassment concluded.

From the very start - in the suit that was filed - substantial damages have been part of the claim

Absolutely. There is no incentive to stop. DM is a malicious petulant child. Why on earth would he want to stop making Marty's life a misery?

11. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

TX Lawyer hasn't nixed this popular theory for one simple reason. He is assuming that the attorneys for the COS would be informed of such a behind the scenes, "wink wink" settlement.

The COS would know everything that TX Lawyer said. Therefore, the COS would not inform their attorneys of the behind the scenes, "wink wink" settlement.

If there was a behind the scenes, "wink wink" settlement, the attorneys for the COS were just as ignorant of it as Ray Jeffrey.

My guess is that the attorneys for the COS were just as surprised by what Monique did as Ray Jeffrey was.

My guess is that the COS dealt directly with Marty and Monique, and left ALL of the attorneys out of it.

12. tetloj

And this:

13. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! :hysterical: Sometimes there just aren't enough LOLs!

BEST comeback of the day, Face! :laugh: :roflmao: :dieslaughing:

14. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Perfect description. Marty the shitstorm lightning rod.

Yep. Folks like Marty are responsible for keeping Human Resources folks well paid to screen them out.

15. tetloj

Last one (for today at least)
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/04/sc...ns-plans-to-ditch-lawsuit/#comment-2659117777

16. prosecco

prosecco Patron Meritorious

I think the term that was used about, 'achieving what we intended outside litigation' was a poor choice of words, but then again the legal drafting in the submission to the court was fairly poor also.

Personally don't think that Marty meant the words literally that they had achieved their goals outside litigation, or at least from a legal stance.

As far as, 'achieving what they intended,' I think what their original intention was simply to hold David Miscavige to account for his actions, and simply to have a voice. It should be kept in mind that when Marty left the Sea Org, he was in such bad shape that he was virtually incommunicado for years,

When he started to speak out, it was difficult to get media who weren't scared of the C of S, but now the situation has changed completely to a film about Scientology being nominated for an Academy Award, being the subject of fun on Saturday Night Live etc.

For whatever reason, partly because of Marty, partly because of lots of collective efforts, Anonymous, Tony Ortega, Mike Rinder, various law suits, Lawrence Wright, the landscape has changed completely.

Behind the scenes, I think that Marty and Ray disagreed about strategy.I have no idea why other than the reference about delay, which I didn't really understand. As far as I'm aware, there weren't any missed filing dates, but perhaps Marty wanted things done faster? Maybe Marty and Monique really didn't realise how much stress they would be under on a personal level. It's one thing to suggest that Marty knew all about litigation, however it was from the other side. Maybe it was just becoming too unbearable, pressure on their marriage, family life, so they decided if Ray Jeffrey couldn't wrap it up in specified amount of time, they would have to walk away.

As for the suggestion that there has been a non financial agreement between the church and Marty/Monique. I think the church would be very quick to leak any agreement as they play very dirty. If it was a written agreement, it would be leaked. if there was an oral agreement it would be recorded/photographed. If there was any sort of trail, it would be evidenced and plastered all over the internet.

I also think that Marty has moved on. He isn't the activist guru he once was, and for whatever reason, he tends to fall out with people, rather than disagreeing with them, but staying friendly. Mike Rinder on the other hand is very good with maintaining a large circle of friends, maybe who he doesn't share ideas, but can juggle contrary views. Different personalities.

So, my point being that none of this makes sense from a legal stance. I really wish that Monique and Marty let the litigation run its course as there were lots of precedents involved, and if they didn't want the money, donate to some worthy cause.

17. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

I find it hard to believe Marty would deal with DM without lawyers being involved. He must know that DM considers him fair game and will therefore lie, cheat, trick and try to "destroy him utterly".

The only protection Marty/Monique have is the presence of lawyers.

18. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

I think CO$ has demonstrated it will do anything if it thought
    it would forward their purposes. For example "Snowwhite". They
    have almost singlehandedly created a new legal term - The Footbullet.

Thanks for commentary.

19. afaceinthecrowd

afaceinthecrowd Gold Meritorious Patron

Marty, amongt other things, considers himself the Bestest Ever Scn Auditor, Exec, Operative, "Tech" Expert, CofS Expert and DM Expert that ever lived as well as, amongst other things, a Professional Journalist, Professional Writer, Enlightened Lone Wolf Guru, Legal Expert and Smartest Guy in the Room--including a room with Judge Waldrip and Ray Jeffrey et al.:whistling: If you had personally known Marty like some ESMBers (including yours truly), this turn of events is not all that surprising. :no:

Face:)

20. Victoria

Victoria Patron Meritorious

Deep down I hope Marty hangs around and continues to "be himself", thus inspiring you to more material.
    I even send these to my never in husband at work,
    always a good chuckle!