What's new

Monique reportedly fires her legal team.

Victoria

Patron Meritorious
My guess is that the COS dealt directly with Marty and Monique, and left ALL of the attorneys out of it.

Thats really the ONLY theory we have any supporting evidence for.
Because they said, they had effectively achieved the purpose of the suit WITHOUT the help of their lawyers.
There really isn't anything else than could mean, if the stated purpose was to make the COS stop its harassment.
Without the help of their lawyers means exactly a behind the scenes agreement.
Some people would by necessity for clarity call that a settlement, but not Marty. That would make it too easy too understand.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thats really the ONLY theory we have any supporting evidence for.
Because they said, they had effectively achieved the purpose of the suit WITHOUT the help of their lawyers.
There really isn't anything else than could mean, if the stated purpose was to make the COS stop its harassment.
Without the help of their lawyers means exactly a behind the scenes agreement.
Some people would by necessity for clarity call that a settlement, but not Marty. That would make it too easy too understand.

A long time ago in a Texas town far, far away, before he got noisy, wasn't Marty being left alone? No 24/7 surveillance by $10,000 a week PIs, just Marty? I don't remember, and don't care enough to look it up, but I don't recall any reported cult harassment from before he started opening his mouth.

Has he said or written anything anti-CofS or anti-Dwarf recently? Why can't it just be as simple as:

"Hey Dave, look, you call off the dogs and I'll STFU and that will be the end of it. Deal?"

Paul

Victoria

Patron Meritorious
A long time ago in a Texas town far, far away, before he got noisy, wasn't Marty being left alone? No 24/7 surveillance by $10,000 a week PIs, just Marty? I don't remember, and don't care enough to look it up, but I don't recall any reported cult harassment from before he started opening his mouth.

Has he said or written anything anti-CofS or anti-Dwarf recently? Why can't it just be as simple as:
"Hey Dave, look, you call off the dogs and I'll STFU and that will be the end of it. Deal?"

Paul

Thats just too simple, sheeesh Paul, that sounds like something normal people might do:biggrin:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

attachment.php

:giggle:

THAT is hysterical and made my day!! :lol::cheerleader::dancer::roflmao::hifive::dance3::buzzin::hattip::hysterical::thankyou::goodposting::giggle:

Gib

Crusader
Deep down in Tony O's post he does state this:

"Tony Ortega Mod Fink Jonas a day ago

If you pay attention to what TexasLawyer is saying, you would know that the Rathbuns wouldn't risk this. Ray Jeffrey would have the ability, through the trial court, to examine the Rathbun bank accounts.

Like I said earlier today, I got another layer of confirmation that there is no financial settlement.

I know it's hard for people to imagine that, but you have to understand that there would be serious legal risks in the Rathbuns trying a trick like that, and all indications are that the Rathbuns are trying to get away from the court and any legal entanglement.

I know my saying this will have no effect. People are just determined to believe that their move made some kind of sense. Every attorney who actually knows this stuff tells me that the move makes no sense whatsoever, at least from a legal perspective."

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/04/sc...athbuns-plans-to-ditch-lawsuit/#disqus_thread

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I cannot believe that this court case was ever about anything but money ... after wasting the best years of his life in the cofs and leaving with virtually nothing Marty now has a family and all the usual financial responsibilities of the real world, he has many decades to make up for financially, he needs serious money to have any kind of lifestyle and due to the harassment they received and by Mosey agreeing to stand up to the cofs they had a very good chance of achieving a result, but something changed recently.

We're all guessing about what happened prior to Mosey dumping the lawyers and dropping the case but I can only imagine that Marty was threatened with some kind of expose (based on his gory cofs past) that would so devastate his current life that he chose to lay down when told to.

That is the only thing that makes sense to me (apart from a secret settlement which would be insane) and whatever miscavige has over him must be truly shocking and he (miscavige) must have managed to arrange things so that he cannot be implicated in anything himself.

:confused2:

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
The dilemma Marty faces is that he (and by extension his wife Monique) can't take money without him loosing face. That's because of Marty stating publicly on his blog that he would rather die before taking money from Miscavige.

But why suing the Church in the first place if not for compensation? Certainly Marty was the driving force initiating the case. He should have just taken the money. Would it matter? In any case nobody cares about heroic statements he made years ago. Now he needs the cash. His books don't sell much and being over 60 the clock is ticking faster.

Perhaps he simply went nuts over all these problems. Wouldn't be the first one. Has anybody spoken to Marty, seen him recently? What's his mental state? I wish he is fine but meanwhile I couldn't exclude that possibility.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

Paul

I actually think that's what happened. And I base that opinion on the posts MR had been writing on his blog just a few months ago, right before he went silent. As I said before I think "he has risen above the sandbox" and just doesn't want to tangle anymore.

Of course, that doesn't mean Miscavige wouldn't still try to "ruin him utterly."

Northern Shewolf

Patron Meritorious
Unfortunately for Marty in 2015, all the media worldwide went for Co$ stories of all stripes: films, documentaries, press, Exes testimonials etc..., this ultimately did put a sharper focus on the kult's biggies: D.M., Marty, and all the RFP's PHDs that have been trotted-out this year in such foot bullet moments as the 'airport welcoming commitee', all this has registered with audiences and the faces of such as Marty, Mike, Heber, Karen, Jesse Prince et al., all of whom now have been seen and tagged, according to perceptions by the general public (wogs), as either good trustworthy people, self-serving confessors who play loose with the truth, or plain old liars. Basically this exposure spread itself all over 2015, a long shit-storm that more than likely brought home to Rathbun the realization that, apart from little snot hisself, he is the one holding the baddest, dirtiest, most damning secrets of Co$. I believe that realization slowly dawned as we reached the end of 2015 autumn and it became clearer to Rathbuns that there is really no fucking exit , none because once touched by $ciloonery one is totally contaminated for life.
Silence descends, and resolution by other means is offered in hope that all disappears into the mist of time.
To which I say: fat chance!
Shewolf who never forgets.:coolwink:

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
I cannot believe that this court case was ever about anything but money ... after wasting the best years of his life in the cofs and leaving with virtually nothing Marty now has a family and all the usual financial responsibilities of the real world, he has many decades to make up for financially, he needs serious money to have any kind of lifestyle and due to the harassment they received and by Mosey agreeing to stand up to the cofs they had a very good chance of achieving a result, but something changed recently.

We're all guessing about what happened prior to Mosey dumping the lawyers and dropping the case but I can only imagine that Marty was threatened with some kind of expose (based on his gory cofs past) that would so devastate his current life that he chose to lay down when told to.

That is the only thing that makes sense to me (apart from a secret settlement which would be insane) and whatever miscavige has over him must be truly shocking and he (miscavige) must have managed to arrange things so that he cannot be implicated in anything himself.

:confused2:

Are you saying Miscaviage has "leverage" over Rathbun :yes: now where have I heard
that idea before hmmmmmmm let me think :eyeroll:

oh yeah here it is :coolwink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gh0rCM6SEU

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think Rinder is trying to keep his Blog Site as cool, calm, collected and "clean" as possible. Marty is a lighting rod or, more accurately, a shit storm rod and his shtick, grandstading and attitude would trash up Rinder's Blog if he inadvertently lets it in via the "backdoor". Marty's Persona is not compatible with Rinder's refined style, satire and wit . Just my opinion.

That makes sense and I appreciate your viewpoint. Thank you. I want to keep thinking Rinder is one of the better high ranking ex members that won't take blood money and will continue to Suppress Scientology for the next billion years.

So many take the blood money and it Keeps Scientology Working. It is wrong no matter what - in my opinion.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
From the Underground Bunker. (with docs)

Monique Rathbun formally ends her lawsuit in Texas

Monique Rathbun’s harassment lawsuit against the Church of Scientology which she filed in August 2013 has now ended with a document she filed Tuesday in Comal County, Texas.

The “motion for entry of nonsuit,” a two-page document that Monique filed, asks Judge Dib Waldrip to sign an order confirming the lawsuit’s demise, but our experts tell us that once Monique filed the nonsuit document with the court, her case was officially over.

Once again, Monique blamed her former attorneys, whom she fired in January, for convincing her to drop the lawsuit, despite the winning streak she had been on, including a recent appeals court victory that seemed to put her in the driver’s seat.
http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/12/mo...it-in-texas-ken-dandar-wins-again-in-florida/

Tony's comment:

Tony Ortega Mod • 3 hours ago

Speculate all you want, but please don't ignore these basic facts.

If the Rathbuns were simply tired of the case, they could have asked their attorneys to end it outright, and the attorneys would have been obliged to do so. Instead, they were fired. And, as TexasLawyer pointed out last time, the lawsuit was not pulled at that point. It lingered as we all waited to see what the state supreme court would do. Only after the supreme court asked for a response did the Rathbuns pull the plug.

If the Rathbuns were simply tired of the case, they could have asked Ray Jeffrey to negotiate a settlement so they and the attorneys could have walked away with millions. They were in a strong position after the appellate win, and TexasLawyer has indicated that there was a good chance that their position was going to get even stronger over the next year. Instead, the Rathbuns fired the lawyers and walked away with nothing.

If the Rathbuns were simply tired of the case, they had a legal team that was actually doing all the work, was on a winning streak, and was costing the Rathbuns nothing. Instead, they were fired and the case was dropped, including a temporary restraining order that was protecting the Rathbuns from Scientology harassment.

It's true that Marty Rathbun has not taken any money from David Miscavige. But he appears to be gagging himself unilaterally in the hopes that Scientology will leave them alone. So the effect is the same, but without millions in security for the Rathbun family and the attorneys who worked so hard for three years.

OK, have fun speculating.
http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/12/mo...dar-wins-again-in-florida/#comment-2671735710

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Hmm.. I'm starting to believe Tony Ortega on this.. (Like the Rathbuns I've grown tired of the whole Scientology mess.. So I've been ignoring it all to a large extent..) - However, I still think that Monique & Marty did a splendid fight and that they helped our, us ex'es, cause a whole lot.

I'm sure The Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology's OSA thinks this is win for them.. It isn't.. But that takes more mental provess than they can muster.

:yes:

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hmm.. I'm starting to believe Tony Ortega on this.. (Like the Rathbuns I've grown tired of the whole Scientology mess.. So I've been ignoring it all to a large extent..) - However, I still think that Monique & Marty did a splendid fight and that they helped our, us ex'es, cause a whole lot.

I'm sure The Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology's OSA thinks this is win for them.. It isn't.. But that takes more mental provess than they can muster.

Yes, Monique Rathbun is likely sick of the cult and would probably wish for nothing less than a never hearing about them again. I hope she doesn't have to.

The law suit did attract some attention, but how much damage did the lawsuit actually do?
I don't think the suit was actually brought with the intent of helping anyone but the Rathbun's, which is understandable. I suppose any collateral help is a win. Did it pave the way for other exes to win legal battles more easily? I don't know enough law to even guess.

I think the way that it ended has hurt the cause of the exes. They pretty much told everyone who has been watching that their law firm was losing, was incompetent. This is a firm that willingly took on cases for exes that no one else would want to touch with someone else's briefcase. That is a win for the cult. How many lawyers would consider going after the cult after seeing the flakey way the last ones were treated?
Other exes may think that if Marty Rathbun couldn't hang in there, they won't be able to either.
Then they didn't go for a settlement. That is a win for the cult too. Small change for them, but it is still something they don't have to pay for.
They win again by not risking any more filthy laundry being aired, especially at the time of the Miscavige book being hot conversation. Suddenly one of the many pains in Miscavige's rear has disappeared.
The credibility of the Rathbun's has been seriously damaged. The cult couldn't have wished for a better outcome for that.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
^^^ Yes, that way to see it could be true and is worrying..

Yet, I don't care how The Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology takes down our champions.. I still consider them our champions. I won't ever play along with OSA's PR lines about them.

Meanwhile Ken Dandar seems to shovel shit at 'em...

BunnySkull

Any body else dumbstruck by Marty's new number 1 fan and defender - Alanzo? I mean Alanzo was banned from here because he believed Emma and a whole slew of ESMB posters were in cahoots with Marty, that Marty was taking over ESMB via back channel puppet mastering. Us being nice to Karen#1 and Mike convinced him that ESMB was firmly under Marty's sway. (Karen and Mike both posted and were friends with Marty, that they were welcomed here convinced Alanzo a conspiracy was afoot - among other things.)

Now he's gone from that to being Marty's internet BBF and attack dog. How the fuck did that happen???

tetloj

There have been many comments from Tony today refuting theories.

This sums it up though

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/12/mo...dar-wins-again-in-florida/#comment-2673339707

I have some details that I can't talk about yet. I will when I can.

In the meantime, the situation is actually pretty simple.

I keep laying out the basic facts which show that this was a bewilderingly bad decision and one that included some really awful backstabbing of some very fine attorneys.

And yet people keep straining to find ways to "explain" how this was a sensible decision.

And I'll just keep shaking my head.

Last edited:

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I thought the main reason for initiating this court case was to stop the surveillance and harassment now that Marty and Monique have a child.

So I don't understand why they think they have achieved their main goal because surely Miscavige can just start-up where he left off with the surveillance and harassment. He hasn't yet destroyed Marty utterly so why would he stop?