No chateaubriand, truffes & Chateauneuf du Pape a la Mairie
:bigcry:

Last edited:

JBTrendy

Patron with Honors
Anne Hidalgo, who has led protests against the criminal cult of Scientology

has been elected Mayor of Paris.

Au revoir, Dave.

Not to undermine your enthusiasm but Anne Hidalgo was the second of the former Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanoé who retired so I don't think there will be a major change in politics as regards to the C of S or anything else !!!

All2U

Last edited:

Innominate Dude

No Longer Around
Anne Hidalgo, who has led protests against the criminal cult of Scientology

has been elected Mayor of Paris.

Au revoir, Dave.

I don't follow the reasoning here. Unless Paris (1) altered the powers of elected officials to be those of an autocrat, a dictator, and (2) gave the Mayor of Paris office extraterritoriality so that her autocratic writ would run throughout the world (or so it can be hallucinated), it would seem that Hidalgo's elevation to the mayorship is not as decisive as to announce "au revoir, Dave." She might now have her time so consumed by other affairs, compared to the previous state where only a select number of people might seek audience with her, that it actually diminishes her influence on the fate of Scientology in Paris. It is unlikely that a Parisienne will overlook poor air quality, poor road maintenance, ill thought out budgeting, etc etc., which might come about by neglect, all because they are en mass so enthusiastic that a blow be struck to an noisome and noxious yet obscure small group of people.

I understand applauding the success of someone who has stood up to the church, but don't see that it helps to hope for profound effects from that without a proper analysis.

Anyway, congrats to Hidalgo nevertheless. Nice to hear of success by an enemy of the church.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
In case Poor COB in never invited to visit Paris

[video=youtube_share;M4C6cqo4EjY]http://youtu.be/M4C6cqo4EjY[/video]

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron

Joe Dassin's death is, imho, one of the sadder ones. He'd had heart trouble for years. He and his wife of a few months took a vacation to Tahiti, where he died of a heart attack. Not quite as sad to me as Wolfman Jack's though.

CO2

Patron Meritorious
Joe Dassin's death is, imho, one of the sadder ones. He'd had heart trouble for years. He and his wife of a few months took a vacation to Tahiti, where he died of a heart attack. Not quite as sad to me as Wolfman Jack's though.

The Wolfman and XERB Baby! live on in Modesto, California on KMPH 840 on your AM dial or streaming at http://www.kmph840.com

I'm a big fan.

[video=youtube;99z-H_NEccU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99z-H_NEccU[/video]

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't follow the reasoning here. Unless Paris (1) altered the powers of elected officials to be those of an autocrat, a dictator, and (2) gave the Mayor of Paris office extraterritoriality so that her autocratic writ would run throughout the world (or so it can be hallucinated), it would seem that Hidalgo's elevation to the mayorship is not as decisive as to announce "au revoir, Dave." She might now have her time so consumed by other affairs, compared to the previous state where only a select number of people might seek audience with her, that it actually diminishes her influence on the fate of Scientology in Paris. It is unlikely that a Parisienne will overlook poor air quality, poor road maintenance, ill thought out budgeting, etc etc., which might come about by neglect, all because they are en mass so enthusiastic that a blow be struck to an noisome and noxious yet obscure small group of people.

I understand applauding the success of someone who has stood up to the church, but don't see that it helps to hope for profound effects from that without a proper analysis.

Anyway, congrats to Hidalgo nevertheless. Nice to hear of success by an enemy of the church.
All that is true but a high public official still has lots of influence. In a case where discretion is involved, you can be sure things will not go well for the cult.

Helena

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron
> Innominate

Would your reaction be more enthusiastic if the newly-elected President of the City Council of Los Angeles had recently demonstrated outside the Celebrity Centre and had a long history of opposing cults in her city?

This is not a token appointment. Not in France. :)

Innominate Dude

No Longer Around
> Innominate

Would your reaction be more enthusiastic if the newly-elected President of the City Council of Los Angeles had recently demonstrated outside the Celebrity Centre and had a long history of opposing cults in her city?

Not really. That kind of broad brush opposition doesn't show enough intelligence to think its proponent will be effective. It is the kind of stance that politician idiots might think popular, but if they live in a society governed by a constitution and the rule of law and don't stop to think that you can't suppress something by convicting it of being a "cult" in such a society, they are just set to spin their wheels. Only a profoundly undesirable society to live in is prepared to suppress or mistreat a group upon mere proof that it is a "cult".

Now if such a person actually had the brains to focus their opposition on specific illegal acts, regardless of who is doing them, like illegal electronic surveillance tactics, stalking, illegal human trafficking, false scientific/medical representations such as those associated with the Purif, etc., then that would be a real burst of good news. That is someone with enough intelligence to actually make a difference, not a mere noise making glad handing politician idiot.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Not really. That kind of broad brush opposition doesn't show enough intelligence to think its proponent will be effective. It is the kind of stance that politician idiots might think popular, but if they live in a society governed by a constitution and the rule of law and don't stop to think that you can't suppress something by convicting it of being a "cult" in such a society, they are just set to spin their wheels. Only a profoundly undesirable society to live in is prepared to suppress or mistreat a group upon mere proof that it is a "cult".

Now if such a person actually had the brains to focus their opposition on specific illegal acts, regardless of who is doing them, like illegal electronic surveillance tactics, stalking, illegal human trafficking, false scientific/medical representations such as those associated with the Purif, etc., then that would be a real burst of good news. That is someone with enough intelligence to actually make a difference, not a mere noise making glad handing politician idiot.

Your assertion that the election of a knowledgable, outspoken critic of a dangerous criminal cult is an inconsequential occurrence will, in the fullness of time be proven false.

Until then, however, rest assured that the multi-track OSA operations to neutralize her have undoubtedly commenced,

because the cult does not consider her election, and the bully pulpit she now has, as inconsequential.

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron

I think you are judging Mme Hidalgo without correct information. France has its share of idiot politicians but she is not one of them.

As you must know, the French courts did not convict Scientology of being a 'cult' but of being a criminal organisation. And yes, as DM would say, we ARE working to end illegal electronic surveillance tactics, stalking, illegal human trafficking and false scientific/medical representations. Don't you ever read the Internet?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
All that is true but a high public official still has lots of influence. In a case where discretion is involved, you can be sure things will not go well for the cult.

Helena

Paris Org will get the French equivalent of health and safety inspections by government officials. They will need approvals for events that overflow into the street. Disturbances will get police attention, particularly if they involve the physical restraint of people who wish to leave, or any "fair game" tactics on the disaffected.

All that needs to happen is for the government officials involved to understand the Mayor's feelings toward the Org, and why.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron

I love that song. It was the first song after Alouette and Frère Jacques that I learned in French.

I was humming it all morning when I saw my wife off for the Paris Marathon there on the Champs by the Arc a few years ago. :biggrin: