What's new

More public servants could join detox regimen

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron
From the Salt Lake Times

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_14767786
A detoxification program for ill police officers exposed to methamphetamine that has received more than $500,000 in public funding could soon expand to include firefighters and veterans.

Sandra Lucas, director of the Utah Meth Cops Project, said efforts are under way to raise enough money to begin this year treating firefighters and soldiers returning from war. She suggested the regimen could help firefighters and soldiers who have worked around burn pits used to dispose of everything from weapons to chemicals in Iraq.

The project received a $200,000 earmark from Congress this year, but that money can probably only be used to treat police officers. Fundraisers beginning this month will benefit Meth Cops and a newer organization, Heroes Health Project, created to help firefighters and veterans.

Lucas and Darin Farr, who works in outreach and special projects for the Utah Department of Veterans Affairs, plan to visit the state conventions of organizations such as the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars later this year to discuss the treatment.

"The VA and the veterans community is looking at getting her some volunteers [to undergo the treatment]," Farr said.

Jack Tidrow, president of Salt Lake City Firefighters Local 1645, said three firefighters were screened to undergo the regimen but none participated because of medical or scheduling conflicts.

Utah Meth Cops participants are current or former narcotics
Advertisement
officers who have complained of ailments ranging from trouble sleeping to cancer. The treatment, created by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, is intended to force the officers to excrete poisons and includes up to seven hours a day of exercise and sauna time at the Meth Cops Project clinic in Orem. Participants also eat a diet high in antioxidants.

At least $390,000 in state money has been spent on the detoxification program since 2007, though no money was appropriated in the state legislative session that ended this month. The recent earmark was requested by Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, who has been the most vocal public official supporting the project. The earmark was sponsored by Rep. Rob Bishop and both Utah senators.

Shurtleff earlier this month said he plans to try to raise more money -- both public and private -- to expand the program. That irks some toxicologists who argue the treatment does not do what it claims: remove toxins from the body.

"If taxpayers' money were used for this, then this is even more preposterous than the bridge to nowhere," said Utah State University toxicology professor Roger Coulombe, referring to a partially-built Alaskan bridge.

Coulombe believes police officers' claims of being sickened by methamphetamine and its precursors, but says those illnesses should be treated with conventional medicine. Coulombe said he knows of no peer-reviewed, published research supporting the regimen purges poisons.

"You and I would certainly feel better getting pampered at the spa, but in terms of it doing the things [Utah Meth Cops Project is] actually claiming, like getting rid of toxins ... those compounds are very rapidly absorbed and rapidly excreted."

Literature promoting the Hubbard method says fatty tissues store the toxins unless the body is forced to excrete them.

Raymond Harbison, a professor of toxicology at the University of South Florida, said while fatty tissues can retain chlorinated hydrocarbons, like those found in pesticides, such compounds are not ingredients of methamphetamine and its building materials.

Harbison, who has examined sick narcotics officers in Florida, said there's no study showing methamphetamine has made police sick, and a study should be done for returning soldiers before assuming burn pits made them ill.

"I would advise the citizens ask questions of the [Meth Cops Project] and whether competent medical people are involved," Harbison said.

Lucas said 68 current or former Utah police officers have completed the detox regimen. The officers who have spoken publicly about it have said their health improved.

Lucas said she would like to expand the detoxification program beyond Utah and has spoken with the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association about treating sickened officers nationwide. And, Lucas said, there is a registry of 100,000 military veterans with disabilities, including some who say a chemical exposure sickened them.

"We're going to have to have clinics in other states," Lucas said.

Tidrow points to testimonials from treated police officers in explaining why he wants firefighters to undergo the regimen. He is confident Salt Lake City leaders will give firefighters paid time off for the program and not concerned by the regimen's affiliation with Scientology.

"It just so happens Doctor Hubbard is the one who launched this medical procedure," Tidrow said.

Farr said the regimen does not necessarily need to remove toxins, just make returning soldiers feel better.

"If there's a possibility of it helping veterans, that's my interest," Farr said.

[email protected]

The Clam

Patron with Honors
What is wrong with the detox program. I received huge benefits from doing the purif. I sweated out all kinds of street drugs. The American Indians use sweat lodges to detox.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
What is wrong with the detox program. I received huge benefits from doing the purif. I sweated out all kinds of street drugs. The American Indians use sweat lodges to detox.
What's wrong with it is the Cof$, and the fact that the program is inherently dangerous.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
A detoxification program for ill police officers exposed to methamphetamine that has received more than $500,000 in public funding could soon expand to include firefighters and veterans.

What kind of BS is this? If policemen use meth they should get kicked out out of their jobs. Or what does "exposed to" mean? They held a little plastic bag full of meth in their hand? How ridiculous.

How's your liver?

www.xenu-directory.net/documents/corporate/people.php?n..

Sandra Lucas

Sandra Lucas 2008 Founder, program director $55,944 American Detoxification Foundation Sandra Lucas - Scientology Service Completions
Agent for service of process ? Citizens Commission on Human Right of Utah
2007 Director, key employee $3,849 American Detoxification Foundation
James N. Lucchesi 2005 Trustee 0 $0 Narconon Sacramento James Lucchesi - Scientology Service Completions
James Nicholas Lucchesi - Scientology Service Completions

JBTrendy

Patron with Honors

I agree with you Clam. I personnally regained a lot of perceptions, clearer thinking and a feeling of cleaneness in my body that I hadn't experience since I was a young kid after having done the purif. With the drug rundown on the top of it that handled the mental side of drugs and radiations an incredible resurgence in my vitality ensued that opened the door to a true renaissance of self.

More generally speaking the atempts of people to fully deny any positive aspects of Scientology have a tendancy to make me reconsider for the better the entire subject that is probably not the effect they want to create with theyr statements.

To my opinion the game is soon to be over for radical viewpoints on both sides. The RTC fascist system versus the Anonymous terrorism. At least that is what I'm working on.

In my blood is flowing the miraculously surviving spirit of a French resistant who was sent by the Gestapo to the Nazi camp of Buchenwald.

This was my Dad and sorry for bringing his memory here but I'm a bit fed up with the extremist atempts to overflow this forum with fanatic and ignorant view points and than to be accused of being a plant of the CofS when you challange to the slightest degree theyr opinions.

Setting oil on the fire has never been a way to estinguish it and the more radically you attack or oppose Scientology the more you reinforce its abusive monopoly that too many people had to suffer from already.

I'm talking here from the soft spot of my heart that also grew from my experience of and with the phylosophy of LRH that had also a very good side to it. The ability of focussing on the pluspoints is one of them.

Good night every body :eyeroll:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I agree with you Clam. I personnally regained a lot of perceptions, clearer thinking and a feeling of cleaneness in my body that I hadn't experience since I was a young kid after having done the purif. With the drug rundown on the top of it that handled the mental side of drugs and radiations an incredible resurgence in my vitality ensued that opened the door to a true renaissance of self.

More generally speaking the atempts of people to fully deny any positive aspects of Scientology have a tendancy to make me reconsider for the better the entire subject that is probably not the effect they want to create with theyr statements.

To my opinion the game is soon to be over for radical viewpoints on both sides. The RTC fascist system versus the Anonymous terrorism. At least that is what I'm working on.

In my blood is flowing the miraculously surviving spirit of a French resistant who was sent by the Gestapo to the Nazi camp of Buchenwald.

This was my Dad and sorry for bringing his memory here but I'm a bit fed up with the extremist atempts to overflow this forum with fanatic and ignorant view points and than to be accused of being a plant of the CofS when you challange to the slightest degree theyr opinions.

Setting oil on the fire has never been a way to estinguish it and the more radically you attack or oppose Scientology the more you reinforce its abusive monopoly that too many people had to suffer from already.

I'm talking here from the soft spot of my heart that also grew from my experience of and with the phylosophy of LRH that had also a very good side to it. The ability of focussing on the pluspoints is one of them.

Good night every body :eyeroll:
It's a dangerous regimen.

Is it possible that something can appear good and useful in the short run but have hiden negative consequences?

I know drugs do that. I have experienced that and seen it happen with others.

I know Scientology does that too. I have experience that and seen it happen with others.

Proclamations of self-gratifification (wins) is not the best way, nor the only way to determine if something has merit or is ultimately good or not.

Some poisons can have a pleasant taste.

The Anabaptist Jacques

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron

Sweat has only one function - Cooling you down when you overheat.
Sweating does not release toxins from our bodies. The liver and kidneys (not the sweat glands), are the organs that filter toxins from our blood.

Last edited:

Atalantan

Patron with Honors
Sweating does not release toxins from our bodies. The liver and kidneys (not the sweat glands), are the organs that filter toxins from our blood.

Can you back these assertions up with any actual documentation? I'm not saying you are wrong; do you have any evidence that all sweat does is cool the body and else?

The Purif also involves drinking a lot of water and passing it.

I'm an old "tripper" from the 1960s, who did the Purif in 1980 when when it first came out; it did me a lot of good because I had been stuck with some very undesirable lingering effects from my LSD trips. The Purif took care of these and they have not recurred for 30 years now.

The Purif may be a "dangerous regimen" for some people; is there any "regimen" or medical treatment that does not have it's risks? Please name some.

I have to agree with Trendy' post - I'm not about to jump on any fanatical bandwagon, pro or con, as some on this board seem inclined to do.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Can you back these assertions up with any actual documentation? I'm not saying you are wrong; do you have any evidence that all sweat does is cool the body and else?

The Purif also involves drinking a lot of water and passing it.

I'm an old "tripper" from the 1960s, who did the Purif in 1980 when when it first came out; it did me a lot of good because I had been stuck with some very undesirable lingering effects from my LSD trips. The Purif took care of these and they have not recurred for 30 years now.

The Purif may be a "dangerous regimen" for some people; is there any "regimen" or medical treatment that does not have it's risks? Please name some.

I have to agree with Trendy' post - I'm not about to jump on any fanatical bandwagon, pro or con, as some on this board seem inclined to do.

I'm more concerned with the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide - this stuff is pure danger - and you can find it everywhere. EVERYWHERE! When will someone finally finally stand up and do something against this crime against humanity? Do it for your children, do it for all the poor intoxicated children of this world, and BAN DHMO NOW!

BTW, IIRC I'm still waiting for Dox from you...

JBTrendy

Patron with Honors
PURIF

Hi Skollie,

I don't want to make a full lecture on the purif and so forth but you seem to have miss some vital data here.

The toxins are stored in the greecy part of the cells and the combined effect of Niacin that is vitamin B2 and the large quantity of good oil you drink plus the sauna that activates the process of elimination lead to a cleaning of the organism and reinforce its resistance to toxins and radiations.

I tested it and it worked very well. When done properly and under madical surveillance as recommanded though quite hardeous it is trully efficient.

ALL2U :yes:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Hi Skollie,

I don't want to make a full lecture on the purif and so forth but you seem to have miss some vital data here.

The toxins are stored in the greecy part of the cells and the combined effect of Niacin that is vitamin B2 and the large quantity of good oil you drink plus the sauna that activates the process of elimination lead to a cleaning of the organism and reinforce its resistance to toxins and radiations.

I tested it and it worked very well. When done properly and under madical surveillance as recommanded though quite hardeous it is trully efficient.

Well, I can agree with the part I made bold. :whistling:

Smilla

Ordinary Human

deleted

Last edited:

byte301

Crusader
Well, I can agree with the part I made bold. :whistling:

For sure, MN. Fraudian slip there maybe?

I did the purif for 45 LONG days when it first came out in all the orgs.

It did NOTHING for me. I repeat...It did NOTHING for me.

It took up a lot of time and energy...oh, and money. That's it. I didn't feel cleaner or brighter or more aware. The only thing I felt was what a total waste of time the purif was.

I had to make up a cognition to get off the stupid thing.

If you got some fantastic wins from it then good for you. You'd probably also get fantastic wins from a placebo as long as elron said you would.

And just because SOME people have some wins doesn't mean it should be marketed as effective. There are scientific studies that say the opposite. Google Second Chance if you don't believe me.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Cells don't *have* greasy parts. There are fat cells, and some toxins/drugs may deposit in them, such as the *fat soluble* toxins and drug residues. LSD is water soluble and leaves no residue. There is no evidence for drugs or toxins excreted through sweat. Unless you want to count the supposed 'black slime' that Scientologists seem to find on their towels.

Of course, if it were *true* that toxins and drugs were being excreted through sweat in the 'purif' (or, Narconon's version) then the 'Purif' would be banned for dumping those toxins and drugs straight into the sewer system. That'd be illegal. But, it's bullshit, so nobody worries about it.

As to the 'radiation' that's being sweated out... Well, it's Ron; and it's bullshit. 'Radiation' is *not* 'water soluble'.

The 'Purif' is sold as religion by the 'Church' and as 'a spiritual purification' by Narconon, because the entire theory behind it is mumbo jumbo.

However, as a placebo it probably has some real effects for some. It's long and painful and requires lots of effort, so the implication for some is that it *must* do something. Besides damage the liver and kidneys and god knows what else...

Zinj

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Cells don't *have* greasy parts. There are fat cells, and some toxins/drugs may deposit in them, such as the *fat soluble* toxins and drug residues. LSD is water soluble and leaves no residue. There is no evidence for drugs or toxins excreted through sweat. Unless you want to count the supposed 'black slime' that Scientologists seem to find on their towels.

Of course, if it were *true* that toxins and drugs were being excreted through sweat in the 'purif' (or, Narconon's version) then the 'Purif' would be banned for dumping those toxins and drugs straight into the sewer system. That'd be illegal. But, it's bullshit, so nobody worries about it.

As to the 'radiation' that's being sweated out... Well, it's Ron; and it's bullshit. 'Radiation' is *not* 'water soluble'.

The 'Purif' is sold as religion by the 'Church' and as 'a spiritual purification' by Narconon, because the entire theory behind it is mumbo jumbo.

However, as a placebo it probably has some real effects for some. It's long and painful and requires lots of effort, so the implication for some is that it *must* do something. Besides damage the liver and kidneys and god knows what else...

Zinj
Sorry Zinj, but there are no such thing as 'fat cells'. Cells are cells, and fat is fat.

byte301

Crusader
Your use of 'Fraudian' instead of Freudian, has got to be one of the best ever! No offense - just funny in an ironic kind of way :)

:D I wish I could say I meant to spell it that way. But I was just too lazy to do spell check.

But it IS funny, so all's well that ends well. :yes: