ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

More Scn denials in Oz

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by wizardofoz, Dec 29, 2009.

1. wizardofoz

wizardofoz Patron

From the Sydney Morning Herald letters page today:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/letters/make-the-stayathome-darlings-pay-rent-20091228-lh7a.html

Greens MP's claims about Scientology denied
    You quote John Kaye's statement to Parliament about the former Scientology leader Marty Rathbun (''Intimidating and violent: defector'', December 2). Mr Rathbun was removed from his position related to legal and public relations matters in the US in 1993, after having inexplicably deserted his post. He later returned and worked his way back into legal affairs.

By 2002 his malfeasance became apparent and he was removed from any position of executive authority. The internal investigation leading to his removal also revealed incidents when he had physically attacked colleagues as an intimidation method. When he left the church in December 2004, he was working in its carpentry mill in Florida.

The church has no interest in disparaging former members. In the five years since Mr Rathbun's departure, we have never had anything negative to say about him, privately or publicly. But we now have to relay the facts surrounding his removal from his ecclesiastical position, because of media reports based on his inaccurate statements.

His allegations about David Miscavige, the ecclesiastical leader of Scientology, are contrary to previous statements Mr Rathbun has made. In 2000 he said ''vicious, uniformly offensive'' attacks on Mr Miscavige were the work of individuals who sought to take over the church.

The church similarly denies Dr Kaye's allegations about its policy on abortions. The church does not condone or recommend abortion to anyone. Numerous sworn statements from Australian-based staff who have had children while in the Sea Organisation will confirm this.

Church staff, including Sea Organisation members, volunteer their time for the satisfaction of helping people and contributing to achieving the aims of Scientology. Material gain is not their motivation. Staff may leave without threat or punishment. Over the years many have done so, and some later rejoined.

The allegations made by Mr Rathbun have been documented as false by his own statements and by others. The church in Australia has also been the subject of unproven allegations from a few disgruntled former members. They are hearsay and embellished stories and can be shown to be false.

Reverend Vicki Dunstan President, Church of Scientology Australia, Dundas

2. Chess

Chess Patron with Honors

Oh geeze...
    anyone got a paper bag?

3. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

Heh....And some still think that Rathbun has been doing our cause a favour. :duh:

4. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Yeah - I don't know how that woman lives with herself.

5. Zhent

Zhent Leakus Maximus

Oh now wouldn't we love to see this...

Of course, sworn statements from ex-members saying it DID happen is irrelevant because they are clearly lying and have an agenda, right Vicki?

6. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Gold Meritorious Patron

She absolutely flat out lies.

7. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

The best part about this is:

It's taken OSA how long to get this published?

Dr John Kaye spoke out how long ago?

Why the comm lag, Vick?

8. wizardofoz

wizardofoz Patron

And here is a reply in today's SMH...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/lett...--a-year-with-no-solutions-20091229-lioo.html

Scientology not so tame from close-up

Scientology's protestations (Letters, December 29) are predictable. Members of my family are, unfortunately, adherents of this crowd and I have overheard the explanations given on the phone to the frequent callers who ring to inquire about who is visiting and why, and the increasingly harassing calls made when family members have said they cannot attend functions or give money.

I once took more 70 calls in two hours when I told them to stop ringing because I was waiting for news of a dying friend.

Vicki Dunstan can say all she likes about the complaints being "unproven allegations from a few disgruntled former members" but this behaviour on the part of a so-called church is abusive and controlling. It has nothing to do with faith.

Jennifer Saunders Bungendore

9. Cherished

Cherished Silver Meritorious Patron

Nice.

10. Kutta

Kutta Silver Meritorious Patron

"Ecclesiastical leader" and "Reverend Vicki". Give me a break! This blatant PR BS aligning of Sci with religion, with religions that garner some respect, really riles me.

11. Lohan2008

Lohan2008 Gold Meritorious Patron

Truth

Unlike the TRUTH that CofS speaks :mudkip:

The church claims to have 250,000 followers in Australia, even though in the 2001 census
    only 2000 gave their religion as Scientology.

"We have been in this building for 30 years and we need to expand as we have so many people coming in here now,"
    said Vicki Dunstan, president of Scientology Australia. May 6, 2007

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/new...-raise-the-roof/2007/05/05/1177788468873.html

12. dontscamme

dontscamme Patron Meritorious

I definitely agree.

I would like to see the CoS stripped of its religious cloaking worldwide and recognized for the abusive, money-worshipping cult that it is.

Matthew 6:24 - Bible in Basic English

13. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

This stand being repeated!

Bravo Jennifer!! :thumbsup:

14. Illegal Alien

Illegal Alien Patron with Honors

Reverend Vicki Dunstan President, Church of Scientology Australia, Dundas.
    Okay Reverend I must ask this.
    How long will false PR keep the truth from coming out.
    I mean Reverend the thing that alarms me hear is, inside deep inside well hidden away from the media YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT TELLING THE TRUTH in the above mentioned article.
    Does it not wave flags for you that you have to do this.???:confused2:
    These are real stories being told, real experiences and YOU know it.
    Sleep well.

15. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Gold Meritorious Patron

Another foot bullet

I think Vicki Dunstan done shot herself.

16. ScudMuffin

ScudMuffin Silver Meritorious Patron

The old 'No U!' argument. Doesn't wash at all really.

17. slimjim

slimjim Patron with Honors

Besides which, is she actually even a reverend? Has she been ordained? (quite honestly even if she did in the CoS, it means diddly), But it would be cool if she was not even a minister but jus a plane ole VM (Volunteer Minister)

Anybody know anything about this? Did she do the minister's course? Does she give "de Sinday Services"?

18. TheSneakster

TheSneakster Guest

So, any negative statement or assertion about Rathbun is now automatically true? Even when it comes from a provable liar like this C of $ spokesdroid ? Even when it appears in the midst of a multitude of provable lies ? :duh:

Are you *sure* ? :no:

Michael "The Sneakster" Hobson
    I am *not* anonymous. I *do* forgive.