What's new

Mother of the LA Org

SanDiegoMember

Howard Dickman
Julia1.jpg
A few months ago, just for my own curiosity, I started researching the early history of Scientology in San Diego. I was surprised to find yet another person, who Scientology should be hugely indebted to, cast aside like an old dishrag.

Julia Lewis Salmen got her HDA in 1950, worked with LRH in Phoenix and D.C. and worked hard to create the forerunner to the OCA test. Then, in 1957, by his request, Julia and her new husband packed everything up, moved to Los Angeles and created what later became known as the LA Org.

By 1978 Julia was having serious health problems and was needing money. She had hoped that Scientology would pay her for the use of her personality test. Julia never received one red cent from Scientology before she died.

With all that Julia did for Scientology she should at least deserve the moniker "Mother of the LA Org".

You can read her story and the early days of Scientology in San Diego here - http://scientolipedia.org/info/The_early_days_of_Scientology_in_San_Diego,_California

Thanks;
Howard Dickman

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Wow. Must have been about 76 or 77 there was this very dejected slouched old woman on course. I talked to her a few times & she was such a gentle soul.

Later, I found out she was never other than Julia Lewis Salmen & she had thoroughly been fucked over by Ron ( who flat STOLE her personality test, changed a few words, & trademarked it ! ).

True, he never allowed her to be paid one red cent.

True, she was IGNORED & shrugged off when she got older & needed some help. I SAW it.

Julia Lewis Salmen, in my opinion, was one of the greats of scientology.

scientology uses people like a lemon; squeeze it until all the juice is gone, toss it aside, & get another one.

What scientology does is squeeze the life force out of people.

Julia Lewis Salmen gave her all.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
A few months ago, just for my own curiosity, I started researching the early history of Scientology in San Diego. I was surprised to find yet another person, who Scientology should be hugely indebted to, cast aside like an old dishrag.

Julia Lewis Salmen got her HDA in 1950, worked with LRH in Phoenix and D.C. and worked hard to create the forerunner to the OCA test. Then, in 1957, by his request, Julia and her new husband packed everything up, moved to Los Angeles and created what later became known as the LA Org.

By 1978 Julia was having serious health problems and was needing money. She had hoped that Scientology would pay her for the use of her personality test. Julia never received one red cent from Scientology before she died.

With all that Julia did for Scientology she should at least deserve the moniker "Mother of the LA Org".

You can read her story and the early days of Scientology in San Diego here - http://scientolipedia.org/info/The_early_days_of_Scientology_in_San_Diego,_California

Thanks;
Howard Dickman

"Scientology should be hugely indebted to?":ohmy:

9k=

Let's not forget L Ron Hubbard threw children into a chain locker as he popped his pills and drank his alcohol...having young girls in hot pants "Commodore's Messenger's" light his cigarattes, dress him and feed him. This is what you call "Source"?

When one "as ises" the cruel, inhumane mind fuck of Scientology - I believe I could kick some ass to those that "helped". I really think that it took some real character flaws to contribute to the motion of throwing people overboard, watching children get neglected and abusing staff members with no sleep or food or money whilst the founder was rolling in the dough hiding from the law and lying to everyone including himself.

IN order to "as is" Scientology and L Ron Hubbard - One has to be willing to confront the truth and go ALL THE WAY down the rabbit hole.

...that means look at everything good, bad and ugly and L Ron was really really UGLY! He did some very bad things to people including his family.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Fishman/atack-freedom-trap.html#part25

"Most people come to Scientology when their lives are in crisis. Scientology uses manipulative recruiting techniques to heighten vulnerability, and falsely promises a solution for almost any problem. From the beginning, the new recruit is subjected to techniques which induce euphoria. The desire for this euphoric state can be likened to a drug addiction, often rendering members all but incapable of critical thinking with regard to Scientology.

The Church of Scientology very rapidly comes to dominate the member, prohibiting contact with anyone hostile to the movement, and insisting that a huge conspiracy exists which is intent upon destroying Scientology. The mark of a fanatic is the inability to even consider evidence. Unfortunately most Scientologists simply close their eyes and ears to criticism."

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
article-2592376-0001961300000C1D-324_634x465.jpg

From a 2007 ESMB post by Alan Walter, a student on the Class Eight course on the ship, recounting the overboarding of Julia Salmen:

The scene with overboarding on the Original Class VIII Course was if an auditor did not get an F/N on their pc at examiner - they were thrown overboard.

We would line up on the well-deck in the morning at 8.00 am - LRH would look down from the deck above and announce who would be thrown overboard.

He was surrounded by his Aides. Also he was recording all of this on camera....

I remember looking up at them - I was staring into the face of sheer madness and evil.

Usually 8 to 10 people were thrown overboard each morning.

It was about a 30 foot drop into a filthy feces laden water from the other ships and the Apollo directly releasing their sewage into the channel...

This was October 1968.

....Ron had Julia Salmen thrown overboard... terribly overweight and could not swim.

The people who threw her overboard struggled to get her over the side; she was terrified; she kept crying out "I cannot swim!" On her way down she hit the side of the ship - I could hear her screams - it was obvious she was injured and drowning.

The people on the deck all stood around too afraid to do anything. Fearing to originate any action less the become the target of LRH's displeasure.

I ran and jumped over the side and rescued her. I then pulled her over to the ladder that led up to the ground level of the dock........it was about 20 feet straight up. She could not climb the steps. I had my shoulders under her butt pushing her up..... no one still had come to help.......but at the top of that ladder stood LRH filming us.....such evil.......

Anyway after an immense struggle with Julia's help I was able to push her up to the top of the ladder....finally some help arrived.

Over the years the unthinkable thought pushed forward more and more....it was "that I observe that LRH was demonic at that time." I did not want to know that, did not want to believe that.......that was too incredible to be believed - even for me - I did the usual make nothing of myself.... "you're seeing things," "what do you know," "you've got overts" - much easier to blame self than confront what is

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
Wow. Must have been about 76 or 77 there was this very dejected slouched old woman on course. I talked to her a few times & she was such a gentle soul.

Later, I found out she was never other than Julia Lewis Salmen & she had thoroughly been fucked over by Ron ( who flat STOLE her personality test, changed a few words, & trademarked it ! ).

True, she was IGNORED & shrugged off when she got older & needed some help. I SAW it.

scientology uses people like a lemon; squeeze it until all the juice is gone, toss it aside, & get another one.

Hubbard used such gentle souls like toilet paper to front his scam.

I understand your desire to give the lady some credit :thumbsup: where whobird and scientology never did
but there are no Greats of Scientology only Gentile Souls who were duped or being presently duped
into lending their Gentle Souls like so much beautiful wrapping paper around a turd:yes:

We've all met those people in scientology and out and many on this very board:thumbsup: and all I can
say is if I were to ever to be so complimented with the word greatness that it would have
nothing to do with anything I ever did in or out of the subject or association with $cio.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

I understand your desire to give the lady some credit :thumbsup: where whobird and scientology never did
but there are no Greats of Scientology only Gentile Souls who were duped or being presently duped
into lending their Gentle Souls like so much beautiful wrapping paper around a turd:yes:

We've all met those people in scientology and out and many on this very board:thumbsup: and all I can
say is if I were to ever to be so complimented with the word greatness that it would have
nothing to do with anything I ever did in or out of the subject or association with $cio.

I saw "gentle souls" watch people going crazy, committing suicide, getting divorced, losing homes to foreclosure, watching their friends go bankrupt in Scientology.

I believe ole Hubbturd referred to the "gentle souls" as "THEETIE WHEETIES" people who are people pleaser's, co-dependant and cannot confront much of anything. Even the evil dictator had a term for the "gentle souls" and yes, Hubbard wiped his arse with them. They were the toilet paper that kept the turd from being exposed....once a turd always a turd but the "gentle souls" were used as part of the "SHOW" and it kept the show on the road. These were the folks that made you feel warm and fuzzy so you can't see the fangs waiting for you once the MAA at Flag got their $cientological claws into your psyche.

The "gentle souls" were duped beings that were used as part of the Cheese in the trap of Scientology.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Here is a post from Karen De la Carriere - a Class Twelve Auditor that dedicated her life to Scientology. Her son was forced to disconnect from her if he were to ever see his father again and he overdosed on drugs in the home of two Oat Tea Ate's. Perhaps read her story - it is tragic and cruel. The "cherch" would not let Karen see her Son's body and prohibited him from getting proper help.

IT is evil beyond belief.

This is Scientology! Don't forget it.

Originally Posted by Karen#1

There are many things that can be said about any kind of therapy. I audited cherch therapy for so many years that my paradigm (viewpoint) may be different. I do, now older and wiser see the fatal flaws.

In any religion, there is much to share ~~ to increase compassion, increase forgiveness, lessen HATE, increase Love and Affection, tolerance of fellow man, benevolence, letting go of past animosities and to reach a "higher self."

In all the length and breath of Scientology, there is no process, no bulletin, no tape, no lecture, no issue to teach FORGIVENESS. To teach KINDNESS. (Dai Lai Lama quote : My Religion is KINDNESS. ~~ what a great thing to say)

On the other hand Scientology Inc displays increasing HATE in all its ADS. Using Google to promote Hate websites on its "Freedom Mag" site.

And in the therapy of Scientology it is a one way street of *ONLY* asking for *YOUR* crimes, your witholds, your unsavory deeds, your overts. Your Evil purposes, Your critical thoughts, Your contra survival urges, Your unworthy impulses.

This is done for *YEARS* in the RPF.

It was done for years in SP Hole.

It was done for decades to those who hit the decks or fell into disgrace.

I cannot imagine anything *more* unhealthy for a person than to have him divebomb into his mind year in and year out looking for EVIL.

No enlightment in any other vector than the person's *crimes*.

There are no mistakes in the mind of Scientology.

There are only CRIMES.

A staff member or public did not accidentally omit to do or do something. He committed a criminal act.

That is Scientology and I have done every course and every piece of training from here to Sunset. It is only about *Your* darker side. And there is no balance of elevating you to higher levels.

This is why OT 7s and OT 8s kill themselves in suicide and OT 7s and OT8s flee and go into the more merciful Buddhism and others leave all Religion behind, certainly EP out of the cherch of Scientology.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Here is the Present Time Definition from HelluvaHoax. Make sure you work that out in clay and look up all of your MU's...like "help".:whistling:

Scientology: -noun. The world's only religion where one can donate all one's time and money, working selflessly and slavishly for 30 years at 8 cents an hour, and then be sent to ethics. Because a "knowledge report" was written about using a single paperclip on a personal letter sent to ones family (who haven't been seen in decades because one did not get permission to take time off). Then the "ethics officer" assigns the "criminal" a lower condition for the "High Crime" of stealing org resources--and thus "sabotaging" Ron's bridge to total freedom, the only hope for all beings in the universe.

AND I WILL ADD:

and you can't take it anymore so you leave and get a FREELOADER BILL for serving Scientology for 30 years of $364,000 or you "can't have" your spiritual freedom or come into a Scientology Org.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Here is the Present Time Definition from HelluvaHoax. Make sure you work that out in clay and look up all of your MU's...like "help".:whistling:

Scientology: -noun. The world's only religion where one can donate all one's time and money, working selflessly and slavishly for 30 years at 8 cents an hour, and then be sent to ethics. Because a "knowledge report" was written about using a single paperclip on a personal letter sent to ones family (who haven't been seen in decades because one did not get permission to take time off). Then the "ethics officer" assigns the "criminal" a lower condition for the "High Crime" of stealing org resources--and thus "sabotaging" Ron's bridge to total freedom, the only hope for all beings in the universe.

AND I WILL ADD:

and you can't take it anymore so you leave and get a FREELOADER BILL for serving Scientology for 30 years of $364,000 or you "can't have" your spiritual freedom or come into a Scientology Org.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Perfect!

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

Perhaps my phrasing was bad : I meant she was one of the great people I got to meet who - how shall I say - happened to be in scientology.
I mean NO compliment at all lrh, CoS, scientology or any of the rest of that shit.

Julia was a great person. scn fucked her over.

JustSheila

Crusader
I know how you feel, Gizmo. We've known some wonderful people in our time in scn, thank goodness so many are out now for us to get together again. :bighug:

Today I was thinking of Lorita Hill, Class VIII, former Qual Sec AOLA, original St Hill staff. I was thinking of how she sneakily kept families together, how she told me the truth about St Hill pay (it was good, but not anything like they bragged to us) or St Hill time off (every other week libs with stats up, same as the 80s), but the best memory of all that comes to mind of her (never told this before, 'cause I forgot until something reminded me today) was:

When ED Int was inspecting/visiting AOLA and Lorita was six inches or so from his face (then Kerry Gleeson) and a dozen or so of us were within hearing distance to hear them. I couldn't hear exactly what Kerry was saying, he was ordering her to do so something, and Lorita Hill was refusing. Finally she yelled at him,

"FUCK YOU! DO IT YOURSELF THEN!"

:omg: and actually, she wasn't hysterical. Not a bit. She was focused and holding her ground, though well into her 60s! :laugh: :hysterical:

He RPFed her of course, but at least didn't state on her Declare what she'd said to him (he wasn't such a bad guy). Lorita, with powerful connections through CMO and everywhere, got it canceled in a few months. Then it became part of Kerry's SP Declare, as these things go, round and round and round.
There were a lot of years when I smiled, thinking back to that and what a courageous, ornery, independent, wonderful woman she was. Never, ever have I heard of anyone else standing up by themselves to the top echelon of management and saying 'FUCK YOU! DO IT YOURSELF!'

Can you imagine a 68 or so year old woman yelling that at DM and DM getting Declared SP a few months later? :hmm:

We knew some awesome people. That was the good part of scientology.
:yes:

phenomanon

Canyon

This is true.
I knew her in Phoenix and in D.C.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Face, you might be able to shed some light on a story I once heard.

I was told that Yvonne was tired of Ron hitting on her & insisted on being posted out of his reach. She came to LA to set up CC. If I remember right, she - by herself - had a desk in the parking structure & that was it. She made CC from there.

Any truth to the rumor that Ron chased & chased & chased Yvonne ?

SanDiegoMember

Howard Dickman

I was told that Yvonne was tired of Ron hitting on her & insisted on being posted out of his reach. She came to LA to set up CC. If I remember right, she - by herself - had a desk in the parking structure & that was it. She made CC from there.

Gizmo:

Yes it is true that LRH made sexual advances toward Yvonne, even to the point of putting her in a lower condition when she refused those advances. You can read about it here - http://scientolipedia.org/info/Yvonne_Gillham_Jentzsch

All of the chapters up to CC were edited by Hana Eltringham Whitfield. She was the one who got Yvonne to open up about LRH's moves. Setting up CC came much later.

Howard Dickman

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Gizmo:

Yes it is true that LRH made sexual advances toward Yvonne, even to the point of putting her in a lower condition when she refused those advances. You can read about it here - http://scientolipedia.org/info/Yvonne_Gillham_Jentzsch

All of the chapters up to CC were edited by Hana Eltringham Whitfield. She was the one who got Yvonne to open up about LRH's moves. Setting up CC came much later.

Howard Dickman

Thanks !

And Hana is another absolute sweetheart of a person !

athena8

Patron
Julia Salmen was HCO Exec Sec and Ken Salmen was Org Exec Sec when I was on staff at the LA Org '66-'68. They were fine people and a pleasure to be around. I was heartbroken when I first read that Julia had been overboarded. The following post contains even more detail about that disgusting event. The last time I was in AOLA's Nots Unit around 2008, I found out that Ken Salmen was still onlines, as he was receiving auditing from Dan Woodruff. Unfortunately, I did not get to see him.

article-2592376-0001961300000C1D-324_634x465.jpg

From a 2007 ESMB post by Alan Walter, a student on the Class Eight course on the ship, recounting the overboarding of Julia Salmen:

The scene with overboarding on the Original Class VIII Course was if an auditor did not get an F/N on their pc at examiner - they were thrown overboard.

We would line up on the well-deck in the morning at 8.00 am - LRH would look down from the deck above and announce who would be thrown overboard.

He was surrounded by his Aides. Also he was recording all of this on camera....

I remember looking up at them - I was staring into the face of sheer madness and evil.

Usually 8 to 10 people were thrown overboard each morning.

It was about a 30 foot drop into a filthy feces laden water from the other ships and the Apollo directly releasing their sewage into the channel...

This was October 1968.

....Ron had Julia Salmen thrown overboard... terribly overweight and could not swim.

The people who threw her overboard struggled to get her over the side; she was terrified; she kept crying out "I cannot swim!" On her way down she hit the side of the ship - I could hear her screams - it was obvious she was injured and drowning.

The people on the deck all stood around too afraid to do anything. Fearing to originate any action less the become the target of LRH's displeasure.

I ran and jumped over the side and rescued her. I then pulled her over to the ladder that led up to the ground level of the dock........it was about 20 feet straight up. She could not climb the steps. I had my shoulders under her butt pushing her up..... no one still had come to help.......but at the top of that ladder stood LRH filming us.....such evil.......

Anyway after an immense struggle with Julia's help I was able to push her up to the top of the ladder....finally some help arrived.

Over the years the unthinkable thought pushed forward more and more....it was "that I observe that LRH was demonic at that time." I did not want to know that, did not want to believe that.......that was too incredible to be believed - even for me - I did the usual make nothing of myself.... "you're seeing things," "what do you know," "you've got overts" - much easier to blame self than confront what is

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Julia Salmen was HCO Exec Sec and Ken Salmen was Org Exec Sec when I was on staff at the LA Org '66-'68. They were fine people and a pleasure to be around. I was heartbroken when I first read that Julia had been overboarded. The following post contains even more detail about that disgusting event. The last time I was in AOLA's Nots Unit around 2008, I found out that Ken Salmen was still onlines, as he was receiving auditing from Dan Woodruff. Unfortunately, I did not get to see him.

Honestly, what the fuck?

L Ron Hubbard was a psychopath

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

Though I find it completely plausible, I have no personal knowledge re: the above. :no:

Yvonne was one Helluva attractive woman.,:yes: