What's new

My bridge to OTVII

Tanstaafl

Crusader
-snip-
The next day I went to see how he was doing, he was having some trouble and I could see he had not sorted out the form part. I asked what definition he was using, the qual sec had shown him an RTC def. :FORM: behavior, eg, "bad form". WTF? Annoyed I went to see the qual sec. You see the format comes from a scientology axiom, no. 38; truth is the exact time place form and event. I pointed out that the definition used did not fit the axiom, so must be wrong for OWs if it is wrong for the axiom. "NO", says the qual sec "it couldn't be as it came from RTC." I held my ground with him trying to get it corrected, oddly as the debate went on every exec within ear shot came in to shout at me, by the end of it there was the Qual sec, the org exec sec and the org officer standing in front of me. I saw the ED walk into qual and decided to cut my losses. I dropped it

Oh, for fuck's sake!!!!!!!!! :confused2: :melodramatic: :duh: :duh: :duh:

:carryon:

Feral

Rogue male
I went to work for a scientologist in a roofing company, it was run from their home. I was asked to sell roofing on a commission basis, they were turning over very little money so if it was going to work I had to nearly triple the size of the business, to earn enough money to live on the commission percentage. I took the job and started quoting and selling roof repairs and replacements, only I did not get paid until they did, there was a very long wait till my first pay cheque. Slowly and steadily I worked the sales up. Then one week we hit $13K turnover, it was four times the turnover they were doing when I got there. 10% was mine I was very pleased, good money in those days. I could pay back some of the people I owed. Even better, I had two tenders on big jobs and it looked as though we were going to get them. If I was expecting any appreciation I was mistaken. As I got my pay I was informed that from now on I was not going to get commission on the material portion of the job. I was annoyed as I'd provided my own car and paid my own way for months, as I built the sales up. I asked for vehicle expenses, but they were having none of it. It seemed to me that I was not going to be allowed to earn more than the others in the executive council.

The next week a WISE consultant was called in. The whole staff was to do danger conditions as we were all out ethics, I could not think with it. The stats had been in a steady affluence for three or four weeks, it just did not seem like the right action. A weekly financial plan (FP), with all expenses was handed out to all staff. I took it home and looked at it, the penny dropped, this small company first paid the owners, including the wife who was org staff and did not work in the business, then the house rent, then the private school fees at the scientology school, then the lease on the vehicles, then the huge overdraft that was taken out by the company and given to the church for their advanced courses. We couldn't pay any actual business related expenses at all, and they were not getting paid.

I took the FP into the WISE office and pointed out that they were working on a wrong why, and the company was being gutted. While I was there I found out the boss had fraudulently short changed a customer whom I had sold a re-nail of a slate roof to, by only temporarily repairing the side she could not see from the ground. The customer had sent a friend up on the roof because she did not trust my boss. All of this came up at WISE, not reported by me, it was the first I heard of it. When I got to work I was hammered. Assigned enemy and treated like it, 'for going outside the group'. There were two part time "execs" who were also staff members in the org, they were livid that I had gone and told WISE (which was an SO group in those days) what I had found. But it was them that brought WISE into the business in the first place.

I have never been so black in my whole life. I could not get through the doubt condition as I was asserting the bosses intentions were less than ideal to say the least, as were the others who only wanted WISE to have part of the data and went hysterical when I spoke directly to the WISE terminals. I got fired. The two big jobs I was working on came off that week, they sent me $100 for each, they owed me $4,000. I was stunned.

I went home and tried to clean up my conditions, I was pretty maggotty. The phone rang it was Harry Bloomberg, he had been trying to recruit me for the SO since I had been on my OT levels. He asked and so I told him what I was doing, he said to come in for a session. I did, he gave me an L4BRB this is a list to sort out wrong indications . The funny thing was, when he finished auditing me he did not try to recruit me, he gave me a pat on the back and told me I'd had it right, as he knew the people involved, he then let me walk out and he never tried to recruit me again. I was glad, I don't think I would have survived the navy, but Harry was an irresistible character, I like almost every one who knew him, liked him very much.

Feral

Rogue male
That day, when I got home I decided that I should work for myself and pursue a passion I'd had for a long time, I started making furniture, it took off and within a few years I had built my company to nearly 20 good staff. I never looked back. We set up a retail division and my wife joined me, her contribution to the marketing was stellar. I never could get her to do LRH marketing though, she had no confidence in it.

We also set up a 'ready to hang curtain' business with a partner. This was a sideline for us. She was a great girl but I handled her badly. I had become a "no prisoners" type exec, imitating the way I saw execs on staff and in the SO operate. I am not proud of it, firstly because I hated the atmosphere they created and secondly every one of those were dismal failures at capitalising on their staff's enthusiasm. But still it was the model that matched my green on white training so I used it as my op basis.

By it's nature the curtain business could not be run week to week, we would get a huge sale then have to drop everything to deliver it to the department store on time. Then we'd have to hammer and pound to get the sales going again, this was rough on our partner as it fell to her to go and get another big order, she held the sales function. This scene was made worse because she was a selectee of ours, we had gotten her into scientology, and the AO wanted her to do her grades... it was when the OTs were being C/Sed to do grades. I never saw that work out for anyone. I think all the OTs that did that bogged on their bridge, they seemed to get sort of super restimulated. I can't recall any of them continuing scientology after that. So she did her grades but was getting more and more introspected as she did them and we were not getting on work wise. I got a call from the AO, she needed to do her introspection rundown would I help reg her for it. She agreed, but by now our relationship was under a lot of strain. After she did that she decided to take the business to her home city, I thought it was crazy, but we couldn't work together anymore. A few months later there had been no more sales. I decided to end the partnership and worked out a price that I would be happy to either buy out her half or sell our half to her for. She took our half and sadly the business evaporated within a couple of months. However, she went on to become a very successful top exec in the most successful dept. store in the country. She never did any more scientology and was bitter about it. But she became a corporate high flyer with all the trimmings, and is very happy, something I am very glad about.

This was when WISE came back, they had discovered I had gotten some of my staff on the bridge and they had been recruited for org staff, which in itself was a disaster, org staff never took their day employment as anything more than a way to survive while they did their "real" job. But WISE decided they had to protect the orgs from me "stealing org staff' and being an "external influence". Special Policy Directive Number....whatever, was quite clear that any scientologist that employed org staff had to be a member of WISE, or else, I think it said. So the only way was for me to be a paid up WISE member, that way they could ensure my ethical activity. Now this SPD was written by god knows who, so as far as I was concerned I did not have to follow it and further joining WISE or having any contact with those clowns was a thing I vowed I would never again do, just on principle. That put me between a church reg and their stat, it would be more comfortable and safer to stand between a wild buffalo and her calf, the more I resisted the more pressure came on. I was called into the AO and told I needed to do an HCO sec check. I got a less than happy reaction to my protest that WISE offered zero exchange and while forcing memberships was possibly a good solution in the short term, it was not going to work out in the long term. Talk about waiving a red rag to a bull. My only way out, short of sacking the guys I had gotten in to scientology, was to join, so I bloody well did. But I was dirty and have never forgiven WISE to this day.

It was now around 1991, We went to an OT committee meeting, I have to admit the only reason we did was because it was during the "call to arms" period of the church, it was just after the TIME magazine article. A new Executive Director (ED) had joined the class V org, and the place was a wreck, carpet thread bare, the walls smoke stained and chipped, paint flaking from the wood work , the furniture mis matched and looked as though it came from an opportunity shop. She was going to get the place humming, and was recruiting the OT committee to help renovate the org. The org had no money of course so we just had to figure it out. This was before reging for donations was the order of the day, so you couldn't just go and put your hand out for money like is done today. Well, about four of us started sprucing the place up, we would work in the public areas the only times they were closed, Saturday and Sunday nights, about 7pm till 2am, we got in and painted, and pulled up carpet. We did a fair bit when we were asked to sort out the academy, where the students studied the tech. That place was a dive, none of the furniture matched, some of the chairs were broken, the laminex desks were old and chipped. We had a bright idea, we would have a posh dinner in a swanky hotel and get Kate Ceberano to sing, all the field loved her, she was a great jazz singer and jazz was her first love as far as I knew. My wife and I sold 200 tickets to the event and held a raffle while we were there. I think we raised about $12,000. Not big money by todays standards, where DM can lift $10mil from Bart Simpson, but at the time it was a record fund raiser for Sydney.

It was an uphill battle to get people interested enough in those days. The money was slated to go to the academy reno, as I said and was put into an account in the CLO or org itself, I forget which. Then a funny thing happened, someone at the CLO had one of those targets that comes down from "up-lines" to fully re-do LRHs office. Now his office was already the swankiest room in the building, no shit, it was the Shangri-bloody-lah next to the rest of the place. But the LRH comm in the org had the matching target, and control over the doe. It was all over red rover for us poor bastards.They used every cent we'd raised to re-do it. The annoying thing was that it included meters and books, and probably a fat book commission for someone. There was nothing else for it, we had to go again and raise the money to do the academy. We held another dinner, it was a slog to get any interest, but we filled the venue. Remember it was at the time of that call to arms? Well the IAS reg did ! It was Jeff Pomeranz , he showed up at our dinner and turned it into an IAS reg event. He must have been desperate, he was very mis-emotional and made the OT committee chairman and his wife, the only Patrons there, feel like heels because she had a piece of jewelery on, one of those OT bracelets that the church sells, and the swines were not giving him any money, it was a pretty horrible night. The ED of the org asked if they could donate the money we had raised for the renos to the IAS, we were trapped and nodded numbly. After that we gave up on renovating the place.

Feral

Rogue male
I had done OT V and two forms of FPRD around this time, I had had good wins on these actions, one FPRD form had really blown me out. I now believe it should have never been done again after that, unfortunately that was not to be the case. But for now our business was expanding and we were doing well financially.

It was the about '92-3 and these were the days of the crisis in Germany, the IAS reges were on the phone regularly, we agreed to do our PATRON in the IAS. They wanted a cheque immediately......it was $40,000 US !, "NO, you can't have it now", we were going to target for it and earn it. Horror of horrors we were going to apply FINANCE POLICY to it. We had to, obviously we did not have that kind of money. They never did get that we had to earn the money first, or they refused to get it. I would get calls at all hours of the work week day and night to "brief me" that was code for their strategy of telling me a pile of alarming bad news, terrible things that the SPs were doing to scientologists in Germany and then tell me I have to pay NOW to make it stop. They were incessant. I tried to hold firm as I found that by playing the game of targeting to earn their money as well as mine, the business kept getting bigger. We did two Patrons and a Cornerstone over the next few years, as well as funding many local activities. But something was going wrong, the phone would ring constantly with requests for money from other parts of scientology. Sea org (SO) would arrive at my house uninvited, remember the lesson I learned ? It was time to put it into practice.

At one stage we were having a crisis meeting at work as a major job was bugged, we had geared up for a new account and they had stalled at their end. An IAS reg sat in on the meeting, as though he was an exec in our business, he was there to solve a crisis too, "how come this months payment is in jeopordy, and what are you going to do about it ?" It was an odd scene, I looked at this guy and he sincerely looked as though he felt he had every right to participate in our business meeting, like it was his business too, and he seemed to think he was pretty senior as well. He loooked at me like I might not actually have the right to ask him to leave. It should have been funny and would have been, if it was not so infuriating.

Another evening an SO IAS reg was at my house and he was not going until I paid him, he had brought his sailors hat. It was time for bed and he would not go. I picked up his hat and walked out the door, placing it precariously on the balcony rail, actually I was going to throw out into the night but he followed to rescue it and I quickly turned and walked inside then locked him out. I went to bed to the sound of him knocking on the door. The harassment escalated from there. Later I began to feel like a marked man, we got scores of phone calls, they would not take "no" for an answer. It was truly horrible.

The word had spread that we had been generous there were dozens of projects in scientology that needed donations. The IAS, ABLE advisory board, planetary dissemination, org renovations, the library campaign, translations unit, tech preservation, the scientology school committee, CCHR, the super power building, narconon and the way to happiness campaign. Each activity had their own maniacal reg team that was going to get your money or die in the attempt, and it was getting abusive. When it got really hard to convince each new "super reg" who wanted money that we were not going to give it to them, they would take it personally, pushing till we bit or flared at them. Then they would try to attack us and KR us, recommending sec checks and exclusion from OT levels. I started to get upset by these tactics and was less than polite. I told several to fuck off and never call again.

Then, I had to get some extra sec checking and ethics, apparently my behavior was not acceptable and I had accumulated several KRs. I capitulated visibly but decided to myself that the love affair was over, right there in a confessional session too, I am sure it was not the result that the C/S and flag auditor wanted. I was incensed that I was paying hundreds of dollars per hour for auditing that essentially was a punishment for defending myself and worse; a method of breaking down my resistance. I decided to cut off all donations, not one more dollar, but I had to be smarter about it than I had been. I had learned before they would not continue to waste time on reging some one who was a "no go". I just had to wait them out. So I sat through several loooong cycles, refusing to budge, but not rushing them, as even though they were long for me I was making them longer for the reg, it was the tactic they often used; war of attrition, really long reg cycles that went into the night, so the person would break down and pay, it would be a team of reges too and they were expert at making you think that leaving the cycle was a failure on your part which would inhibit your ability to be a real OT. Well I could play that game too. I was also horribly pleasant. Eventually after many such interviews our phones went quiet, it took a while for the word to get around though. Another result of that was our name was mud, none of my old SO buddies were even vaguely interested in us, we felt like pariahs, but I think we were meant to.

I would have to say that donating any money to the Cof$ is like dripping blood into a pool of hungry sharks, a very dangerous activity.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have to say that in my opinion "conditions" are 100 per cent capricious, arbitrary, and have no basis in fact either for the group OR FOR THE INDIVIDUAL. (Emphasis mine.) Assigning conditions is a harmonic that leads to cooperation with this universe, not understanding of it. No rational person would ever use those ideas structured by Hubbard unless they want to be a prisoner of their own design. Which is fine, if that's what you want to do.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Ethics conditions" are a part of Hubbard's tech that seems valid even to many who leave the COS. A strong argument can be made that using "ethics technolgy" is a giant negative, to say the least, to anyone who wishes real spiritual freedom.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Okay, that's a great story. I can see it unfolding. You captured it, a feeling of frustration, of anger at being treated as nothing but a resource, and the growing realization that whatever the value of the tech, it didn't hold a candle to the value of your autonomy. (Or as LRH would say, your "self-determinism")

Feral

Rogue male
Thanks Nexy and Gom,

Yeah.....I sure bought some weird and destructive "thinks" and walked into a big trap in the pursuit of freedom,...... good joke!:thumbsup:

The worst is yet to come:duh:

Feral

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Okay, that's a great story. I can see it unfolding. You captured it, a feeling of frustration, of anger at being treated as nothing but a resource, and the growing realization that whatever the value of the tech, it didn't hold a candle to the value of your autonomy. (Or as LRH would say, your "self-determinism")

Autonomy is simply separation. One becomes oneself through understanding. Self determinism places among low harmonics in my opinion and is a rare and ephemaral condition. Hubbard in some ways was a gigantic fool or something else.
You aren't that concerned about yourself, gom, I'll bet.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks Nexy and Gom,

Yeah.....I sure bought some weird and destructive "thinks" and walked into a big trap in the pursuit of freedom,...... good joke!:thumbsup:

The worst is yet to come:duh:

Feral

It is a joke, agreed. I sure was not being critical of you or anyone, except the idea of following Hubbard's ideas of how to live. Look at him!

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Thanks for telling your story Feral. Looking forward to the rest.

:cheers:

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Autonomy is simply separation. One becomes oneself through understanding. Self determinism places among low harmonics in my opinion and is a rare and ephemaral condition. Hubbard in some ways was a gigantic fool or something else.
You aren't that concerned about yourself, gom, I'll bet.

Concerned about myself? I'm in uncharted waters, as far as I'm concerned, Nexus. I have considered, since I was about sixteen, that every day I'm here is statistically improbable, and getting moreso all the time. I have experimented on myself following the guidance of Timothy Leary, Robert Anton Wilson, Terrence McKenna, Aldous Huxley... Concerned about myself? Please. Then experimented with scientology and dianetics. Concerned about myself? I stopped worrying about being concerned about myself. :) I refuse to accept the determinations of others, without flexing their logic for myself, maybe trying them if I think they're theoretically sound. It's hardheaded, but I'm Irish. I'm quite open to the idea that some of my ideas are wrong, Nexus. I don't claim to be a sage, or to have any special mission. You needn't worry about me starting any cults or chasing any space aliens through banks.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Concerned about myself? I'm in uncharted waters, as far as I'm concerned, Nexus. I have considered, since I was about sixteen, that every day I'm here is statistically improbable, and getting moreso all the time. I have experimented on myself following the guidance of Timothy Leary, Robert Anton Wilson, Terrence McKenna, Aldous Huxley... Concerned about myself? Please. Then experimented with scientology and dianetics. Concerned about myself? I stopped worrying about being concerned about myself. :) I refuse to accept the determinations of others, without flexing their logic for myself, maybe trying them if I think they're theoretically sound. It's hardheaded, but I'm Irish. I'm quite open to the idea that some of my ideas are wrong, Nexus. I don't claim to be a sage, or to have any special mission. You needn't worry about me starting any cults or chasing any space aliens through banks.

Thank you Gom, for your thoughts.
The Irish have their prudence, as do the Polish, my heritage. We'll see how things work out. As to being a sage I will plead guilty as necessary. But I don't want to keep quiet about what I see.

Tanstaafl

Crusader
I have to say that in my opinion "conditions" are 100 per cent capricious, arbitrary, and have no basis in fact either for the group OR FOR THE INDIVIDUAL. (Emphasis mine.) Assigning conditions is a harmonic that leads to cooperation with this universe, not understanding of it. No rational person would ever use those ideas structured by Hubbard unless they want to be a prisoner of their own design. Which is fine, if that's what you want to do.

My hero! :biglove:

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Wow! What a read this is Feral! :) Thank's and do continue! (You said that the worst is yet to come.. Anticipating with morbid fascination!)

:yes:

Feral

Rogue male
In 1993 I started on OT VII. The holy grail of "pre-OT levels". My wife followed in 1996, and a bit later the GAT came out, that was the Golden Age of Tech, it was heralded as a new way to train people in the techniques of scientology, it was developed by DM and had very little backing in the scriptures written by Hubbard. By then I was struggling with finding the end of the level I felt I should be done or soon at least, but I was grinding, not winning from applying the solo nots procedures. I had been on it for three years and was hard to keep up the enthusiasm for doing it. I wasn't to know it would get much harder from here. After the GAT we were due every six months to come to flag, as we were before the GAT, only now it was called a 'refresher', it was a misnomer, there was nothing refreshing about it. There was a very long sec check, done FPRD style. Totally out tech as it was a rundown delivered in a rundown. To make it worse, sometimes we would wait up to two weeks to get started on the cycle as there were not enough auditors, so a refresher could take up to one month, it was mostly waiting and the dreaded FPRD. Can you imagine flying half way round the world to do a compulsory service that cost the earth and one that no one in their right mind would do out of their own free will, then being told to wait, while your business and family needed your attention back home?

It also usually included look in sessions where your metering was recorded on a computer and matched to a video of the session. The first few were very stressful, but after that we took it in our stride. Any errors were corrected and then if they of a metering type you went and did another. I saw one poor guy who had been in that merry-go-round for a month.

We both had many "refreshers" I think I did more than twenty over the fifteen years I was on the level. Part of leaving flag is the obligatory success story, you can not leave without a good one, and not writing one isn't an option. It would at the very least get you into a cycle of more of the same, more confessional, or word clearing etc. Of course that meant more time and money, so as painful as the visit was...survival dictated that you found, dredged up or created a "win", wrote it down and F/Ned at the examiner, I became very facile at this, of course all my refresher success stories were a stretch of PR that would embarrass an American marketing executive, but I made myself believe them while I sat there on the cans. I would privately joke to my friends at flag; "what's the best sound in the world ?" "The snap of the airplane seat belt as you buckle up to fly out of Tampa airport !."

I truly hated those visits, and faced them with a grim determination to get them over with asap. I had seen some people spend two and three months on a refresher at massive personal cost. When you were at flag, you were totally at the mercy of the org, if someone on the line felt you were not up to scratch as far as what their idea of a solo nots public should be , then you were there until they were done with you. If you left without permission, not only were you "blowing your chance at eternity" but risked an SP declare. It was not done.

On one trip to flag I couldn't help noticing that there was a dirty old mattress on the turning circle in front of the lobby of the sandcastle, right there on the ground. It was there when I checked in and when I got up the next day, so I asked what was up. I was told that Kirsty Alley thought that the two fledgling doves in their nest, that were in the tree above, might fall out and hurt themselves. Fair dinkum. So the hotel staff aquiesed and placed a mattress there in front of the double front doors. Further, she had convinced them to bring the birds in to her room every night so that she could ensure their safety and return them to their nest and mother in the morning. That explained the ladder that was leaning against the wall next to the entrance. I was wondering if she was growing them out to eat, but I stopped short of asking her.

I was on the OT committee at AOSH ANZO, we were given the mission to get 200 people onto solo levels...pure fantasy, there was not the clears rolling off the production lines of the lower orgs. I have no idea how many but I think the class V orgs were making a few a year each, the clears in the field were generally ARC broken. It was our job to handle this, and convert them into active on source scientologists, "read"; 'paying public' at the AO, so we were given the names of all the people the staff could not handle, and had been working on for a while, it was rough. We did not get anything like the production that was being asked of us. Later I heard that the new Captain had to tried to recruit other scientologists in the field to run the OT committee because we had failed on our mission. More about her later, her name was Elaine Allen.

The other activity that we used to be asked to do was event call in. The funny thing was I personally loathed event time because the phone would ring and ring and ring ...whether we had confirmed we were going to the event or not, sometimes up to 20 times a day. To be asked to participate in this outright harassment caused non compliance in the OT committee to be developed into an art form. A couple of OT committee members tried to explain to the Captain that maybe more calls were not the answer, and they told her how many calls they were already getting, she treated them like they were lying in order to spread their entheta,... it was surreal.

Feral

Rogue male
After the GAT scientology was becoming much more intense as an activity, I was holding the OT committee chairman job, as the proper chairman was on his "refresher". The committee was organising an old timers event at a function center out side the church, in fact it was at the city zoo, they were very excited because they felt they were going to get some old dianeticists and scientologists from the '60s to come. They had been blown for years, mostly they did not like the SO and the way scientology was run nowadays. I got to the AO to start the meeting and it was Elaine's first day on post. I was summoned by her master at arms to see her. I met with her and she laid down the law. I was told we could have the event at the AO or not at all. I thought it was an odd approach as we used to completely fund all of our activities, so I told her that the guys had put a lot into it and they would not like it being canceled. She tells me; "if they don't like it they can see me", "OK" I says and I slump down to the meeting to break their hearts.

They weren't happy, and I conveyed what she said. At the end of the meeting I was again summoned....She starts telling me how things are going to change etc., I butt in and tell her what happened and that I said they could talk to her. She dances around in a circle and says "maybe" she dosen't want to talk to them......I decide on the spot that she is a very dangerous person....it was funny 'cos I just tuned out from what she was saying from that point, I remember seeing her lips move but no sonic. In the next few seconds I decided that the project I would replace the zoo one with would be the setting up of a "Narconon set up committee" and I was going to be on it once it was created. Those of you who know scientology lines know that Narconon is not under the AO, so it was my escape from the lunatic dancing round in self important circles in front of me. Undeterred she sent about ten faxes to my work the next day, when I got to the office there was a panoply of orders waiting for me...UH! I read them and answered as glibly as I possibly could, stone walling her without a hint of defiance, I signed them "The temporary OT committee chairman". This is taken from a trouble area questionnaire, written by Hubbard, it is assessed on the meter and one of the questions to correct an area not functioning well is; "Is your post temporary?" as it was a known "why" for poor post performance and because it was not easily remedied she never bothered me again.

We did a fund raiser for Narconon, and when the real chairman, Dave Gibbons came back from his "refresher" I transferred myself. I held a weekly meeting on Tuesday nights. I was pleased to see that a couple of OT ambassadors were coming, as well as the CO ABLE, that means the Commanding Officer of Association for Better Living and Education, (someone loves acronyms). After a couple of weeks the CO explains I have to be an ABLE advisory board member, this means nothing, it was a ruse to get a one time donation of about $5,000 from either generous or self important people, it was targeted at both, and you got your picture in the ABLE news letter as a "board member". NO, I say I am not interested, I am annoyed as I see all of his interest in what we were doing was based on a desire to lift money from me, not get drug rehab tech readily available. I did my block a bit and told him not to be so predatory. He told me that I can't come to the meeting any more as it was for ABLE board members only, (bullshit, they came to my meeting). But "fine" I say "I will be having the Narconon meeting Wednesdays from now on", none of those guys ever came, and the Tuesday meetings evaporated, LOL. But within a couple of months we had an ED recruited to run narconon and we helped him to get it set up.

The funny thing about church finances, the scientology schools, narconons, WISE, crimonons, way to happiness campaigns are all funded and manned by the public. If you look around in scientology at anything happening it is, as far as I have ever known been funded and set up by the public, then taken over by the SO because it was not up to scratch or out tech or "flapped" or something. So when we did a fund raiser to get a narconon going the CO ABLE put his hand out for 10% of what we raised......excuse me? I tell him no, you can't have 10%, you are getting a NN . It did not make me popular but I did not care, so far all he had done was ask for money.

If the church management gets it's public to do all the funding and the fund raising and starting of activities, apart from a money collection point, what are they for?

So, back to Elaines reign of terror. She began driving recruitment for the SO, and they were targeting young people, second generation scientologists, usually at the age they would leave school, 16 to 19 yo, sometimes younger and the SO recruiters were heavy handed. One particular incident some SO members were trying to get a kid to sign a contract, they were out at his place, there was a baby sitter there, not for the recruit but his younger siblings, the SO recruiters were so aggressive that the baby sitter nearly called the police, and in fact threatened to. I believe a door was kicked in at that incident by the recruiter. They were also running rough shod over parental concerns, I know of one couple that was deadfiled because they would not cooperate with the recruitment of their children. Yet another couple who were my dear friends, and field auditors were having their only son recruited, they had gone to the AO to pick him up after course at 10pm, he was in a recruitment interview, at about 2am after being denied access to their son, as well as being lied to, the parents became a bit hysterical, and demanded to see him. They were treated like enemies of the group and "handled" by the ethics department the next day. They were both told that they needed to do an HCO sec check and were given an estimate of $30,000 that they had to come up with for the privilege. It was at this time I wrote a huge report to international management, I was able to cite seventeen horror stories involving the recruitment of kids and the total disregard of the families they were in. Later when Elaine was RPFed I kidded myself that it was because I and obviously many others had done the courageous thing and written up the local insanity to Int.

Around this time, mid '90s there were a lot of "mandatory briefings" for the field, particularly the OTs. I had gone to many, I had felt obliged, when you are on OT VII they sort of have you by the short and curlies, with a sec check always just ahead of you, a timely KR waiting for you at flag could prompt many more additional probing questions. So potentially a lack of attendance could be painful. They were usually attempts to press gang the public into unpaid work or donating money for a project that was on a program that came from Int. They were routinely horrible, regularly the doors would be locked until the SO running the event got what they wanted. Often I would leave feeling bludgeoned and made to feel guilty and wrong for having money I was not giving to the church, or in the case of activities that I was not putting my whole energy behind the cause. I came to personally define "mandatory briefing" as; "A briefing with no other redeeming feature." After a while it was enough for me to hear that an event was mandatory for me to mentally mark it ;"avoid at all cost"

Another thing happened at this time that should have served as a red flag, my wife and I were at an event, in the front.."Patron" seating, she was eight months pregnant and the sound was way too loud for her, she told me the baby was doing somersaults, she was a little distressed and uncomfortable. So we got up and went out, we saw some friends in the lobby and chatted for a bit, then left. I got a call at work from the "Deputy Commanding Officer for Delivery and Exchange" a few days later, she demanded to know why we had left, I explained, she said," but you were outside talking", "Yeah I know, we were comfortable out side" I said, She replies; "well you can explain it to the ethics officer, now that we have the GAT no outpoint like this gets missed "........"Hmmm. Fuck it then" I thought silently to my self. That was 11 years ago I have only gone to about 3 events since.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Me too, though at times I'm wondering (as I have in the case of other Ex-Scns whose stories I've read) how you didn't snap and hit somebody at times.