What's new

My hope for this board

ThisFenceHurts

Patron with Honors
I'm reposting this in the hope that people will read it (and re read it) and understand better why ESMB exists. I wrote this over 12 months ago but nothing has really changed except the board has grown. The message remains the same.

Is anyone else reminded of the LRH note atop KSW "I issued this once, re-issued it five years later, am sending it out YET AGAIN, goddammit doesn't anyone LOOK at this stuff???"

This thread is going to always be to me "Keeping ESMB Working" :p

Great intentions, and, as Alan mentioned, great manifestation in reality of those intentions. Bravo! :clap:

Free Will

Patron with Honors
Yes, Emma, I'm delighted to find the notice board and reckon you've done a great job. Already I've bumped into one old work-mate from AOSHUK[, DullOldFart, who probably never knew how much I liked his friendship back then, as I only realised it myself years later, in flashback.
I hope I can contribute some humour from my 1972-82 memories. These were days of heady fantasy for me, I felt I was being trained as crew for Starfleet - remember the SO contract presented for my signature proclaimed we were going to clear not just this planet but the whole Universe - I might end up in charge of a whole planet or sector myself! I was just a terribly shy intelligent long-haired hippy who blushed and contricted in the throat (speechless) in the presence of any woman, having thousands of acid flashbacks (but attributing these as gains from the TRs!)
Anyway, thanks a million Emma, whoever you are!
There's hope for my nephews and nieces, born into the SO, if they ever see the light and run through the wall of fire to freedom!:goodorbad: :goodorbad: :goodorbad: :thewinner: :thewinner: :thewinner: oops!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pixie

Crusader
Yes, Emma, I'm delighted to find the notice board and reckon you've done a great job. Already I've bumped into one old work-mate from AOSHUK[, DullOldFart, who probably never knew how much I liked his friendship back then, as I only realised it myself years later, in flashback.
I hope I can contribute some humour from my 1972-82 memories. These were days of heady fantasy for me, I felt I was being trained as crew for Starfleet - remember the SO contract presented for my signature proclaimed we were going to clear not just this planet but the whole Universe - I might end up in charge of a whole planet or sector myself! I was just a terribly shy intelligent long-haired hippy who blushed and contricted in the throat (speechless) in the presence of any woman, having thousands of acid flashbacks (but attributing these as gains from the TRs!)
Anyway, thanks a million Emma, whoever you are!
There's hope for my nephews and nieces, born into the SO, if they ever see the light and run through the wall of fire to freedom!:goodorbad: :goodorbad: :goodorbad: :thewinner: :thewinner: :thewinner: oops!

Hi there FreeWill, welcome to the forum!! :happydance: Good to have another 'newbie' around! Loved your post and look forward to reading more of your stories.. ah yes.. the LSD.. those were the days :D I understand what you're saying about wanting to run a sector, I used to have similar thoughts and used to dream about flying around in spaceships making sure the 'tech' was being applied properly like the good old KOT I was signed up to be.. but alas, it wasn't to be :no: and thank god we're out. Looking foward to more of your posts :thumbsup:

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome Freewill. I am new here too but really enjoying finding my voice here & sharing with others. Really healthy.

Emma, I love ESMB! Thank you so much for creating it. I completely agree with your original aims and love the way you keep true to them. It was big step for me to share my views but I feel quite snug and cosy here. Also I love all the smileys - such a shallow gal. Maybe scientology can me with that. :faceslap:

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Starting.

Emma, thank you so much for creating this forum. I think it is brilliant! :happydance:

From what I’ve seen, it’s a great place to ‘hang out’ and discuss what was, for many of us, a very important part of our lives. Leaving can be a very traumatic experience - many will need all the support they can get.

I have been lurking (ugh -I hate that word, can’t I say “watching from the safety of the undergrowth”?) for about a year now. But, it’s only now that I have felt able to start posting. As a result of reading stuff on this forum and other sources (OCMB, Wikipedia, BeliefNet), I have started to make sense of what I have been through during the past 22 years.

So now, I’ve decided to make that break and leave the Church of Scientology behind and get on with living my life.

Once again, thank you for all that you have done. You have shown tremendous courage and compassion. You have helped so many people – we owe you so much. I am sure you will continue to help many more in the future.

I look forward to adding my voice to the general fun and mayhem on this forum.

:cheers2:

Spork

Patron with Honors
I have been lurking (ugh -I hate that word, can’t I say “watching from the safety of the undergrowth”?) for about a year now. But, it’s only now that I have felt able to start posting. As a result of reading stuff on this forum and other sources (OCMB, Wikipedia, BeliefNet), I have started to make sense of what I have been through during the past 22 years.

So now, I’ve decided to make that break and leave the Church of Scientology behind and get on with living my life.

Outstanding!

Welcome!

DWeaver

I'm newby to this forum and finding my way.
Your post is reasonable, thoughtful and clear.
Thanks for your levelheadedness.
And thanks for posting it.

Pixie

Crusader
I'm newby to this forum and finding my way.
Your post is reasonable, thoughtful and clear.
Thanks for your levelheadedness.
And thanks for posting it.

Welcome to the forum DWeaver!! :welcome2: Glad you're here to join in the fun, and the not so fun sometimes, but there's a great bunch of people here and you'll make some good friends. Looking forward to reading more of your posts. :happydance:

Carmel

Crusader
Hey Emma - thanks for the board. All good this end!

When I first discovered all the stuff on the net, re Scio (when the anon activities started), I looked. There were sites/boards I didn't like. I got data from them, but sifting through the crap and psychosis was very trying.

This one was different though - mostly it was full of the stuff that you describe as what you want on the board. Mostly, comms were/are sane, and the help/support from them is valuable.

Thanks for putting it there, and keeping it there.

Cheers!

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
Bump, because I feel the need to do so.

I'm writing this to clarify for all (including myself) what this board is for.

As an ex Scientologist, I felt like there was no place where I could truly be myself. I felt pressured to conform to a certain set of "rules" about how to think about Scientology & my experience inside Scientology. I was sick of getting abused for defending ex's who found even a glimmer of goodness in Scientology. I was upset that there seemed to be no safe place for ex's to go to share their experiences, both good and bad.

Over the last 3 weeks or so I've been given a lot of advice about what I should and shouldn't do and who I should and shouldn't have on the board. Some want it this way, and some want it that way. Others want it a some other way.

Some say I should have had all this sorted out before I launched the board. Maybe I should have. Some complain that the rules seem to be forming as we go along. I can't deny there is an element of that as I learn what people want and need.

Maybe my idea of just providing a place for ex's to talk was too simple. I don't think it was, but perhaps it need a further defining.

What this board is:

A place where ex scientologists and interested general public can get together to discuss various experiences in Scientology.

A place where where ex's and non ex's can mingle and chat and get to know how the other half think and live.

A place to learn from each other.

A place to support each other.

A place to swap ideas and suggestions.

A place to civilly debate issues so that other viewpoints can be offered and tossed around and horizons can be broadened.

A place to be allowed to defend your position and not apologise for it, yet at the same time allow others to have their own.

A place that people feel safe to expose the abuses of this harmful cult, so the true story can be told.

A place where newly "out" Scientologists can come and be heard and learn and be supported through a really tough period in their lives.

A place to make people laugh and have some fun and to not take it all so seriously.

A place to expose the traps and pitfalls in returning to a "normal" existance, and to learn some tips and helpful suggestions in making this transition.

What this board isn't:

A vehicle to exact verbal revenge on those who have harmed us both inside and outside of Scientology. By that I mean continuing to trade insults & flame wars that are a hang over from past relationships, fueds from other messageboards, chat channels etc.

A place to blame and crucify others for what happened to you. Over time there are going to be people who find other ex members who they feel were responsible for some cruelty that was bestowed on them. Whilst this is understandable, and needs to be addressed, it needs to be understood that EVERYONE did things in Scientology of which they are not proud.

A place to ridicule "believers". People find their way out of the Scientology mindset at different speeds and to different degrees. What they need is understanding, not to be fobbed off and called a "stoopid clam" etc.

________________________________________​

I believe anyone who has been exposed to Scientology for any length of time has had damage done. None of us are perfect, and I doubt any of us would be here if we were all 100% "recovered".​

My hope is that this group of misfits can do some good, for ourselves and for each other.​

I know there will be differing opinions. I know tempers will flare. I know people will say things they don't necessarily mean. All I ask is that you think before you type and ask yourself if what you are about to "submit" is going to cause more harm than good.​

You don't need to like everybody on this board. That would be impossible. It is no different in the workplace or even in family life. But in these situations a "professional" or cordial relationship is established instead. I hope these same social rules can be adopted here.​

I've been criticized for wanting to turn this into a "knitting club" or "afternoon tea party". I think that is bullshit. I don't believe that civility automatically means softness or sensorship. I believe that MORE exposure of the harms of Scientology can be achieved if the atmosphere is civil and friendly rather than one of fear. In other words, I don't want to play "momma", handling spats between people. This is not supposed to be a sandpit. If you want to play the flaming game for the mere sake of flaming, then alt.religion.scientology may be the place for you.​

I don't know exactly what the stats are of people (staff & public) blowing Scientology. But I know there are 1000s and 1000s of people who will be looking for a place like this to help them. When they do start to look, I hope they will find that this board is designed for them. A friendly, civil, intelligent crowd who have had years of experience in and out of Scientology waiting to welcome them.​

Thanks,​

Emma​

Lurker

Patron with Honors
Rant Warning

Disclaimer: This is the opinion of one lurker who has benefitted greatly from this board. This may rub some of you raw, be forewarned. If it does, move on to something else.

/Edit
This is not a reply to nor a rant against Emma, this is more generally to some of the posters that haven't seemed to grasp to concept of this board.
/EndEdit

I'm going to highlight some points that I feel get ignored. I have posted a link to this thread in the past because of what I perceived as violations of the intent of this board. My highlights in no way make less of any of the other points, just that these are some that I have seen occur here that have bothered me, one lurker. I still lurk, I'm 99% done with all of Scn now, thanks to this board.

I'm writing this to clarify for all (including myself) what this board is for.

As an ex Scientologist, I felt like there was no place where I could truly be myself. I felt pressured to conform to a certain set of "rules" about how to think about Scientology & my experience inside Scientology. I was sick of getting abused for defending ex's who found even a glimmer of goodness in Scientology. I was upset that there seemed to be no safe place for ex's to go to share their experiences, both good and bad.

Over the last 3 weeks or so I've been given a lot of advice about what I should and shouldn't do and who I should and shouldn't have on the board. Some want it this way, and some want it that way. Others want it a some other way.

Some say I should have had all this sorted out before I launched the board. Maybe I should have. Some complain that the rules seem to be forming as we go along. I can't deny there is an element of that as I learn what people want and need.

Maybe my idea of just providing a place for ex's to talk was too simple. I don't think it was, but perhaps it need a further defining.

What this board is:

A place where ex scientologists and interested general public can get together to discuss various experiences in Scientology.

A place where where ex's and non ex's can mingle and chat and get to know how the other half think and live.

A place to learn from each other.

A place to support each other.

A place to swap ideas and suggestions.

A place to civilly debate issues so that other viewpoints can be offered and tossed around and horizons can be broadened.

A place to be allowed to defend your position and not apologise for it, yet at the same time allow others to have their own.

A place that people feel safe to expose the abuses of this harmful cult, so the true story can be told.

A place where newly "out" Scientologists can come and be heard and learn and be supported through a really tough period in their lives.

A place to make people laugh and have some fun and to not take it all so seriously.

A place to expose the traps and pitfalls in returning to a "normal" existance, and to learn some tips and helpful suggestions in making this transition.

What this board isn't:

A vehicle to exact verbal revenge on those who have harmed us both inside and outside of Scientology. By that I mean continuing to trade insults & flame wars that are a hang over from past relationships, fueds from other messageboards, chat channels etc.

A place to blame and crucify others for what happened to you. Over time there are going to be people who find other ex members who they feel were responsible for some cruelty that was bestowed on them. Whilst this is understandable, and needs to be addressed, it needs to be understood that EVERYONE did things in Scientology of which they are not proud.

A place to ridicule "believers". People find their way out of the Scientology mindset at different speeds and to different degrees. What they need is understanding, not to be fobbed off and called a "stoopid clam" etc.

________________________________________​

I believe anyone who has been exposed to Scientology for any length of time has had damage done. None of us are perfect, and I doubt any of us would be here if we were all 100% "recovered".​

My hope is that this group of misfits can do some good, for ourselves and for each other.​

I know there will be differing opinions. I know tempers will flare. I know people will say things they don't necessarily mean. All I ask is that you think before you type and ask yourself if what you are about to "submit" is going to cause more harm than good.

You don't need to like everybody on this board. That would be impossible. It is no different in the workplace or even in family life. But in these situations a "professional" or cordial relationship is established instead. I hope these same social rules can be adopted here.​

I've been criticized for wanting to turn this into a "knitting club" or "afternoon tea party". I think that is bullshit. I don't believe that civility automatically means softness or sensorship. I believe that MORE exposure of the harms of Scientology can be achieved if the atmosphere is civil and friendly rather than one of fear. In other words, I don't want to play "momma", handling spats between people. This is not supposed to be a sandpit. If you want to play the flaming game for the mere sake of flaming, then alt.religion.scientology may be the place for you.

I don't know exactly what the stats are of people (staff & public) blowing Scientology. But I know there are 1000s and 1000s of people who will be looking for a place like this to help them. When they do start to look, I hope they will find that this board is designed for them. A friendly, civil, intelligent crowd who have had years of experience in and out of Scientology waiting to welcome them.​

Thanks,​

Emma​

Warning: ranting and generalities follow.

This place is the best place on the net for those on the fence, in doubt, curious, declared, not in good standing, etc., etc., etc. Everyone is different, it will take different amounts of time for each person to come to terms with what they experienced (or are still experiencing) in regards to their stint in Scn. Not everyone will leave it fully. Some will find other technologies, some with squirrel, some may even remain in, who cares. The whole point is to give people a place to look at ALL sides.

Damn, how the hell can one evaluate anything with all the logical fallacies that seem to fly off of some of your keyboards. Fine, point those out as they occur, but dispense with violating the above post, the above reasons for this board. In my opinion, to be helpful to those mentioned above, relay your experiences and link facts. State your opinions as opinions and stop spouting your opinions as fact. Do you not actually know the difference between those two concepts?

Seriously, if you don't like it here, and you don't like these rules, go to OCMB or ARS or some other forum which will pander to what I perceive as your apparent need to be right. Violating Emma's intent for this board does not help people who come here for its purpose, it will drive them away, get it? No, seriously, do you actually get it?

It amazes me how much I see some posters flip to the complete other extreme of the pendulum. I suspect that these folks were just as gung ho and, in my opinion, blinded by their zeal as much in as they are out. What part of "People find their way out of the Scientology mindset at different speeds and to different degrees." is actually, honestly, sincerely confusing to some of you? No, everyone will not end up thinking exactly like you. Come on, what the fuck. That's the same robotic mindset that you're complaining about, you just want people to have that robotic mindset on the other side of the pendulum. That's not freedom of thought, that's more mental slavery, get a fucking clue already.

Rant has ended.

Here's, generally, what I did to come out of the fog that I was personally in. This is by no means comprehensive but an overview.

I started just reading every thread and getting an idea of who was around, what viewpoints they had, etc.

I PM'd a few folks with some questions I had and opinions I wanted, and those were answered. Thank you, I value those.

I took my Basics and started from the beginning; using the internet I tried to substantiate the claims made in the materials. You know what's funny, I didn't even get through DTOT before I found too many holes (mind you I was merely looking to substantiate the claims) and got rid of my desire to pursue that line of study any further. This, by the way, led me to finding LRH's death certificate, info on his military history, etc.

In the meantime I was reading stories and experiences of those that were in all the way from Alan and Dart to those who had only brief experiences with Scn, and any and all in between. I didn't engage in or watch much of the debates going on as I was mostly interested in experiences. BFG, LBV and other ex-Int folks' stories were helpful to me as I was not up in that area but have long suspected something not right in that area.

I read up on Knowledgism and Idenics. I read up on various other philosophies, such as Buddhism and found, for me, that what I had agreed with in Scn actually had already existed in other places, for far less money or free even. I studied up on logic and critical thinking and basically started questioning everything. Does this make actual sense? Can this be substantiated? Do I have subjective or objective reality on this? Can I obtain subjective or objective experience with this?

I tried different things out and after a few months, boom, the Scn think is mostly gone from what I can tell. I suspect there is still some more for me to get rid of, but at this point it's so minor I don't even think much of it these days.

I still know a LOT of Scn's who will likely need this board at some point. Keep it true to Emma's intent or GTFO.

Thanks and have a nice day. :thumbsup:

P.S. Emma, keep up the great work!

Last edited:

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Emma,

I'm rather late in coming here, except for brief stop ins, so I'll just give my
two cents, as a relatively new poster, here.

I think you've done a terrific job. I cannot emphasize how important THIS particular message board is. Why? Because it IS mostly either Ex-Scientologists,
or people still using "the Tech". Either way, people "in" can come HERE and for the most part, talk with people they understand, and more importantly, people who understand them.

I do think it's important that we all try to get along, as if you think about it:
Which is going to be more attractive to those "in"? People snarling at each other, tearing each other apart----or people discussing, disagreeing, but
able to TALK it out, and still have their view, whatever that may be. (As well as less hassle for the creator of this, as she's requested...
and just better for all involved).

I also firmly believe it's vital people can have open discussions.
If someone creates a topic, try to stay on the topic, not turn it against
any one person. However, in any discussion, various things will come up.

I hope for many people, self included, you keep this open and most definitely:
YOU Have THE coolest emoticons on the net!

Thanks, Emma :arose: :bighug:

Tory/Magoo

Vinaire

Sponsor
I feel the following about the operation of ESMB:

(1) The purpose of this board is well-defined and liked by most participants. The members must act in line with that purpose

(2) The rules (which are very lax by the way) are in place. These rules should be adhered to by the members.

(3) Emma need not be expected to monitor the board all the time. She is within her rights to ignore the complaints through PMs unless there is enturbulation on the board.

(4) The board should be let run on its own with the proviso that action can be taken at any time against those who are grossly in violation of the rules.

(5) If there is no enturbulation, minor infractions of rules may be ignored. The idea is for members to correct themselves as they are made aware of their violations by other members.

(6) So, when there is any enturbulation on the board, those in most violation of the rules may be warned once. And then action may be taken against them. No further explanation need be provided other than pointing out the rules they are in violation of.

(7) The members of ESMB must behave as grown ups that they are.

(8) Finally, Emma should act like God of ESMB, because she has been tested and tried.

Last edited:

apple

Patron Meritorious
good job on board Emma

When I first came here I did not know who created this board. Reading more, its Emma. Thank you Emma I am enjoying this board. From reading the suggestions and experiences of others I managed to get that irritant of Scientology from my thoughts so far. In some ways I am like a new person, a new wog, I feel mortal, refreshed. I really dont feel like that guy on the cartoons that has that black cloud (Scientology) over his head at this time.

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
What this board is for.

As a truth seeker and x scio (for want of a better phrase). I'd like to think we can discuss anything. Discuss scientology of course and as I remember something about scientology improving ones awareness, I think its important to bring to peoples awareness of other important things going on in the world that we may not find in the mainstream media. Some of these issues may effect our lives in a big way. Of course we can have a laugh and joke also. I'd like to thank everyone involved.

Tim Skog

Silver Meritorious Patron
I like this board and if any body has a complaint about this board well you can just kiss my:moon: