What's new

My hope for this board

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I will back you up on that. I think there're too many.

BUT, having said that, I will now proceed to contradict myself. (you had to know this was coming, right?)

It's probably partly the nature of the beast. Tempers can run high when we're discussing such an inflammatory subject where people have had such a horrible time. And not everyone's going to be happy with everyone else's commentary. I realize that there are forum rules and netiquette and that I've pointed that out to people, but I want to say that I understand why someone might get temperamental and cutting. I've been trying to roll with that a lot more than I used to.

It's not that I excuse or am in favor of ad homs, though. I just think it's a lot more understandable than I used to. Also, this forum's relatively mild, compared to some. I'm still with you on this, Megalomaniac- as I am in a number of other respects- but me being me, I just can't help playing devil's advocate.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Not exactly. Marty Rathbun dropped in, laid some propaganda on us, faced some questions which he dodged and left, never to return (as far as we know.)

If he *were* still here, he'd still face some questions, but, that's not likely to happen.

Zinj

Ah, but it didn't go so well for him during the time he was posting, now did it. It kinda didn't make a difference as to whether he stayed or left.

And by not going so well, I don't mean facing questions. Or even really pointed questions or statements of disagreement. He had all that directed toward him but he also had some ad homs directed at him. It was a mix, to be sure.

Megalomaniac's got a point.

People are angry at Marty for his stance and for some of the things he's said and done. I understand this.

I don't think this board was established so that a person could not display passion in their argument or post.

For me this board is a hermitage. I enjoy coming here. I have fun here and I met old friends here and I share my discontent about Scientology with others.

People get too sensitive about ad hominen remarks. There is a difference in degrees of remarks. It is the bitterness that makes things umpleasant.

Also, when a person makes a claim of how he is superior in mind and spirit to others, any challenge to this will be address about the person. But the person made himself the subject of discussion. So it is not ad hominen to challenge the character of the person claiming explicitly or implicity that they are superior.

The Anabaptist Jacques

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't think this board was established so that a person could not display passion in their argument or post.

For me this board is a hermitage. I enjoy coming here. I have fun here and I met old friends here and I share my discontent about Scientology with others.

People get too sensitive about ad hominen remarks. There is a difference in degrees of remarks. It is the bitterness that makes things umpleasant.

Also, when a person makes a claim of how he is superior in mind and spirit to others, any challenge to this will be address about the person. But the person made himself the subject of discussion. So it is not ad hominen to challenge the character of the person claiming explicitly or implicity that they are superior.

The Anabaptist Jacques

TAJ is a pinko commie.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Ah, but it didn't go so well for him during the time he was posting, now did it. It kinda didn't make a difference as to whether he stayed or left.

And by not going so well, I don't mean facing questions. Or even really pointed questions or statements of disagreement. He had all that directed toward him but he also had some ad homs directed at him. It was a mix, to be sure.

Megalomaniac's got a point.

People are angry at Marty for his stance and for some of the things he's said and done. I understand this.

No, it didn't 'go so well' for him :)

However, he also wasn't 'raped', which is think is what *you* called it. He came, put up an advertisement for his 'services', heard a couple of questions and posted a butthurt whine including some pretty transparent lies, such as how the FBI admitted to him that they'd been trying to frame him and Scientology for decades.

No, it didn't 'go so well for him'. But, then, I don't think most people would consider it 'rape'.

(P.S. A pinko commie is a commie who likes elections, but, wants the ballots pre-printed :))

Zinj

Terril park

Sponsor
Good points.

Nevertheless, I stand my ground on this issue of respect. The personal insults are getting way out of hand here on ESMB. Anyone going to back me up on that?

I'm inclined to agree.

Spent a decade promoting scn tech. Been bashed all that time on ARS, ACT,
OCMB, Factnet, and Lol! FrezoneAmerica by the Mc Claughreys. And good discussion on beliefnet except the mods had some weird agenda to stop
discussion. Probably COS related.

Banned from promoting success stories on OCMB and factnet.

This forum has been perhaps the most successfull scn related forum
ever. It has also been the most successfull re activities to handle abuse by COS. And also currently to link to the FZ.

It was started before anon/ WWP came along. It has embraced them. Lol!

Sort of.

Emma has mucho smarts. To handle all insults is a hard call.

She has your comments. :)

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
No, it didn't 'go so well' for him :)

However, he also wasn't 'raped', which is think is what *you* called it. He came, put up an advertisement for his 'services', heard a couple of questions and posted a butthurt whine including some pretty transparent lies, such as how the FBI admitted to him that they'd been trying to frame him and Scientology for decades.

No, it didn't 'go so well for him'. But, then, I don't think most people would consider it 'rape'.

(P.S. A pinko commie is a commie who likes elections, but, wants the ballots pre-printed :))

Zinj

Oh, I kind of think some of the posts were pretty wild...

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
The last time he deigned to log in was 9 Feb 2009, 2 days after he joined.

Paul

He's a quick study.

It didn't take him long to figure out you ne'er do wellers were just a bunch of natterers.

What he hasn't figured out yet is that he is in the......

land-of-make-believe4.jpg

and frankly I don't give a fuck if he ever does.

RogerB

Crusader
Me four!

The personal attacks and invective have gotten way out of line. Good folks begin to post less because of it . . . they have better things to do with their lives.

What is sad about it, is that the nasties doing the attacks and make wrongs don't seem to realize that the decent people actually are posting as a gift and to contribute to their fellows. Invalidation of that will, in the long run, kill the board.

RogerB

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I don't agree with Marty about quite a few things, though I think his continuing interest in Scn as ideology is sincere, FWIW.

But I do want to point out (you knew I would, right?) that you guys can't have it both ways. Some of the people here get mad when he dares to show his face around here. Then, when he leaves, that's worthy of criticism. Hmmm....

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't agree with Marty about quite a few things, though I think his continuing interest in Scn as ideology is sincere, FWIW.

But I do want to point out (you knew I would, right?) that you guys can't have it both ways. Some of the people here get mad when he dares to show his face around here. Then, when he leaves, that's worthy of criticism. Hmmm....

It's because I'm aberrated.

You think you can get me some help?