What's new

My (Limited) Introduction To The World Of Scientology

klidov

Silver Meritorious Patron
Active members of Scientology will be able to figure out who I am. I don't care. That is a risk that I am willing to take.

My Preface:

In the late 90's, I was diagnosed with Cancer. I was the first person in my family to have ever been diagnosed with the disease. The day I had my second surgery, my Mother, whom I adored was diagnosed with Cancer also.

My family was grief stricken. I was a divorced Mom with three children, I was working full time during the day, attending Collage classes at night, and I had just graduated Valedictorian from a Private School where I majored in Psychology & Nursing.

My World was shattered. I got involved with a different religion (cult), at a time when I was very vulnerable.

My Mother had been misdiagnosed for over a year, which allowed her cancer to aggressively spread, and she needed radical treatment as soon as it was discovered. Both my Parents were retired (and on pensions) not yet able to collect Social Security. My Mother's medical bills were insane. A background check showed that the Doctor who had misdiagnosed her, had been negligent with other patients too.

My parents started a medical malpractice lawsuit. Their Atty was Ken Dandar. He quickly became a family friend, as well as my Parent's Atty.

Meanwhile, my son, (who was very young) had a best friend where he & his sister were home schooled. The Mom was nice, but I bit "distant". She told me this was her second marriage, and she had two children from her first marriage. She did not speak to her daughter (who lives in another Country). I was a bit surprised at how "matter-of-fact" she was about the whole thing, like it was no big deal.

She also told me that her Husband had been married before, and had a son. Who they also did not see. Again, no big deal, to her.

They were extremely careful of people who came into contact with their children. But after a time, I was asked to babysit the kids. Mom had classes, and "work" to do outside the home.

This was great for me. My son, his friend, and the friends little sister played for hours, very well with each other. My son was a frequent overnight guess.

And pretty soon they were even giving my son "chores" and giving him an allowance. The household was VERY structured. And after a very short period of time, I discovered that they were Scientologists.

I live in Clearwater, we have Scientologists all over the place. (I say I live in "Mecca" for Scientology).:whistling:

Anyway, back to the story, I started to socialize (lightly) with "A" and "S"'s Parents. They took my son to all kind of CoS events for children. They even started giving my son vitamins, and special food.

(I just figured the Mom was an old Hippy, into all this organic, no-dairy, diet).

They (the parents) were real big on "reward & punishment" programs. And even having the kids write out "contracts" promising not to do____again.

I thought it was odd, but my son seemed o.k. with it (at the time my son was 7 years old, and "A" was 6. His Sister was 4 yrs old.).

And they really did treat my son well, and like one of their own.

And both the Husband and Wife started telling me more, and more about Scientology. (How it could help me with my heath problems....help me with the death of my Mother....). Oh, and they mentioned frequently how Kristy Ally, and John Travolta were good friends.

The first sign of something bad:

Ken Dandar is the Atty that represented Lisa McPhersons parents in the civil lawsuit against the CoS. He was also (as I mentioned) my Mom's Atty & a family friend.

One day the Father sat me down at their dining room table, and interrogated (that is the only word for it) interrogated me about Ken Dandar. "Did he have a medical degree?"...."Was he a lawyer, or a doctor first?"...."what kind of doctor was he"?.....and I answered honestly, what little I knew, after all, the Man sitting across from me was my friend & neighbor. Our kids were almost like Brothers & Sister.:confused2:

The Father's eyes never left mine. That may intimidate some people, but since I was involved with people from Eastern Europe, I was used to the "Russian Stare", and answered calmly.

But the incident left me a bit disturbed.

Incident #2-Ken Dandar confided to my Father that he was being stalked & harassed by the CoS. My Dad told me, and said no to mention anything about Ken (or what he was going through) to "A" & "S" s family. I guess Atty Dandar's Law Offices were even broken into.

Meanwhile, I was having a problem with my own religion/cult. I had confided to the Parents that a former member of MY church/cult joined Scientology.

The Father sat me down, asked me what I believed, then said he knew how intelligent I am (blah.....blah....what did I believe?....blah, blah......). Again. I was talking with a friend.

Then mini-bribes: "Would I like to go to the Ft. Harrison Hotel for a dinner?" Would I like a copy of LRH's book_________to help? (They would have to charge me, of course, but give me a discounted rate). I did not feel after just having gotten out of a cult/ church, I had my head together enough to leap into something else right away. And I did not buy any of the offered books.

When Battleship Earth came out, they all went to the Premier, in Clearwater. My son went. I did not go. My girls were older (teenagers) and did not spend a lot of time with "A" & "S" 's family.

Jump Ahead.

Several years go by. Our kids are closer than ever. (Even though my girls were creeped out by "A"'s monotone manner of speaking).

I had gotten away from my cult/church, but I had another medical crises. A tumor was removed from the nerve endings in my spinal cord. I am fine, btw.:thumbsup:

My son would spend many nights at his friend's house.

THE SHOWDOWN

I could not drive. My oldest daughter had moved out, and was going to collage. My second daughter had a big social life. I needed a ride to the Doctor's office. In addition to the physical doctors, I had started to see a Psych Doc. I was suffering from Depression & PTSD (brought on by my surviving cancer & my beloved Mom dying from it). In addition, I had had thyroid cancer, so my hormones were out-of-wack, causing clinical depression.

to be continued......

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Blink blink! Do continue! Although I can imagine this is unlikely to end well, though I am glad you're health is good, now.

klidov

To continue.....

I asked "A" & "S"'s Mom for a ride to the Doctors. She had been pushing me very hard to "go natural" to heal my body. On the way there she asked what meds I was on.......I told her, and when I said "Prozac", I thought she was going to have a heart attack!!

She actually started screaming (while driving) "I am scared of you now!" Over-and-over!!!

I tried to calm her down. She asked how long I had been on it. I told her. Years. Including all that time I babysat her children.

I really feared for her mental state. She was completely terrified!

So, I took a bus home from the Doctor's Office.

That night I was summoned to a meeting. As long as I was "on drugs" my son could only play at their house, and I was never to be alone with their children again, lest I freak out and kill someone.

I had to laugh! I reminded them that it was o.k. before, why the change? But, hey, I really did not want to break the kids up & I figured the parents would get "over it":duh:

I had NO clue what the CoS taught about psych meds.:duh:

So, my son continued to play with their children (and spend the night there). I found out the boys got into a fistfight because "A" told my Son I was a "drug addict".

Then "A" started calling me on the phone asking me to "gett off of drugs, so I could babysit them again". I was like "this is f*ck'd-up" having a child call me like that." I am not going to explain myself to a 10-yr old!

THE END

About 4 months later, my son did not come home from their house. I walked over to get him (it was dark) I walked into the house to see, my son being interrogated by the Father. Watching this big Man lord-over my son almost set me off. I asked what happened, and I was told my Son "Killed" their tiny dog by kicking him.

I pulled my son out of the house & said we would address the issue AFTER I spoke to my son.

My son told me, that they told him, because of these "demon-like" things that I had, they made him (my son) kill the dog:angry:

I asked my son if he even touched the dog, and he said no......it had been asleep in the Parent's bedroom.:angry:

Yes, my son would have told me. Also, we have/had pets, and the only child I saw cruel to an animal was "A" torturing my parrot with a sharpened pencil.

At that point, I decided the friendship was over. Too bad that the other kids who had moved into the neighborhood didn't play with my son because he was "A"'s friend. But for years......the other kids had been excluded.

FINAL COMMUNICATION:

Out of the clear blue sky "A" came over and said his Mom wanted to talk to my son. I let my son go.

My son came home really upset because "A"'s Mom said my son "owed her $10.00", when he asked for what, she said for breaking one of his "written" promises.:omg:

So, I called her, and we had it out.

The End.

klidov

I am actually surprised

I am close to tears here. This happened 5 years ago, and I am still hurt and troubled by it. Hurt for my son, most of all.....:bigcry:

I sometimes see "A" walking around. He is polite. Now he works at SeaOrg like his big brother (from Mom's 1st marriage).

His other brother (from Dad's first marriage) has also joined the CoS. He is Stepford-Boy. Same monotone voice. Same missing emotion.

When his parents see me, they turn away quickly.

I guess my story is over now.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you for your story. If you think of any other parts that you wish to share, you have an audience here.

Send a book called "The Wave" to children you know who are in the Sea Org. I'll bet it sets the seeds that will help them free themselves. What you are doing (reporting your story as you saw it) will help others. Let it all out! Then leave it behind you. I hope your life, now, is very full of family and friends. That is what matters. It is all that matters. Everything else is a means to achieving that. People who think they are superior because they give all of their time and effort to a cult while they are neglecting their own family and friends have completely missed the boat.

Good twin

Floater
Thank you so much for sharing this with us here. I can imagine the pain you must have endured trying to be rational and reasonable with this family. I sure hope your son is okay. It's embarrassing how absurd this cult mindset translates into interaction with normal people. Especially when children are involved.
I know that even when I was "in" Scientology I had a problem with some of the things that other Scientologists did with and said to my children. Once my five year old told me that an adult friend of mine (church member) told my kid that even if Osama bin Laden were killed he would just come back. Even as a Scientologist I couldn't accept how this information could possibly be processed by a five year old.
:eyeroll:

anonmom

Patron with Honors
I am close to tears here. This happened 5 years ago, and I am still hurt and troubled by it. Hurt for my son, most of all.....:bigcry:

I sometimes see "A" walking around. He is polite. Now he works at SeaOrg like his big brother (from Mom's 1st marriage).

His other brother (from Dad's first marriage) has also joined the CoS. He is Stepford-Boy. Same monotone voice. Same missing emotion.

Wow, Klidov! What a story you have! I'm sorry about your son having to deal with this, too. Yes, scientology is pretty crazy stuff. "A"s parents sound really nuts, I feel sorry for him. Do you know what where they are on the bridge? They sound crazy enough to be at some of the OT levels judging by how fanatical they acted. Even when I was a scientologist, I never reacted like this.

klidov

From what I remember-the Father was an "Auditor". And he sold books/programs/teaching supplies to corporations. (I know they were very wealthy). They owned homes in Clearwater, and Canada. And they would take frequent cruises. The Wife, was a housewife, I think. I always had the feeling she wasn't as "far along" as he was.

klidov

btw-thank you Guys for reading & replying. This is really the first time I have sat down and just typed out what happened. And again, a "thank you" to the Admin for letting me join.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow! :omg:

What an introduction to the CofS and to Scientologists. After a story like this, it's a wonder not more people are protesting the CofS.

I have to commend you for letting your son continue to play with "A", since his mom "dumped" (abandoned) you at your doctors appointment.

I truly hope that I was never like that to anyone while I was in.

klidov

Wow! :omg:

What an introduction to the CofS and to Scientologists. After a story like this, it's a wonder not more people are protesting the CofS.

I have to commend you for letting your son continue to play with "A", since his mom "dumped" (abandoned) you at your doctors appointment.

I truly hope that I was never like that to anyone while I was in.

When I heard about Anons plans to protest in front of the Ft.Harrison Hotel, I was going to go. I had a mask, and I already knew to cover any scars (or tattoos) that could ID me. But, I didn't go. And I'll tell you why:

I do NOT scare easily. I have gone toe-to-toe with many groups, my former church/cult......and other groups. It is the nature of the beast, as the topics I write about most often (and sometimes publish) concern the pararnormal, religion, and I LOVE political debates. (I am a stinker like that):thumbsup:

But the only time I felt even close to "threatened" was back in 2000 when a crazy fundie tried to stalk me for being a "Witch". And even then, I wasn't scared, just annoyed.:melodramatic:

But knowing what the CoS put Atty Dandar through?? (And reading about the "Fair Game" on xenu.net?) I am a bit too close to what would be ground zero.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow klidov! Just read your story. I'm not shocked (shock-proof these days) but I am cranky.

The tunnel vision, the closed-off thinking, it just frustrates and angers me - still.

You took your life into your own hands telling a scio you were on prozac whilst they were driving a car. That is like red rag to a herd of bulls! I have literally RUN away from a woman who told myself & another scio that she was on prozac. That's how batty it is. It is so sad that I can't help laughing which is my way of coping I suppose.

I am so glad you are here on the board. It means a lot to have folk like you mingling with us ex's. So real and so vital. :yes:

Feral

Rogue male
Wow klidov! Just read your story. I'm not shocked (shock-proof these days) but I am cranky.

The tunnel vision, the closed-off thinking, it just frustrates and angers me - still.

You took your life into your own hands telling a scio you were on prozac whilst they were driving a car. That is like red rag to a herd of bulls! I have literally RUN away from a woman who told myself & another scio that she was on prozac. That's how batty it is. It is so sad that I can't help laughing which is my way of coping I suppose.

I am so glad you are here on the board. It means a lot to have folk like you mingling with us ex's. So real and so vital. :yes:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

You know klidov, The Cof$ has been doing battle with Psychs since the early '50s. They truly lost their way in that battle and attacked the drug prozac with the full force of their (black) PR machine. The PR worked best on the Scilon public, as you saw.:omg:

It had little or none of it's intended effect, which was a lame attempt to end Psychiatry. I kid you not, that was the goal!

Pixie

Crusader

Wow klidov!! What an incredible story!! However none of this surprises me at all. You were dealing with heavily indoctrinated brainwashed culties, the real people had gone long ago and all that you were dealing with was the cultic personality. I can understand why you are still upset, it's not easy to get over any kind of betrayel, and it is shocking how swiftly and calmly they can 'disconnect' from their families and friends if you don't 'agree' with their cult.

Everything happens for a reason, that's my belief anyway, and had you not had that experience, you wouldn't be here with us making new friends, learning lots, reading other's experiences and having fun. It's not all unhappy news here as you may have already realized.

You are very strong and very brave for what you have come through in all of this. It's sad for your childrens experiences at such a young age so you can only imagine what it's like for the children of scientologists that are in the SO or on staff. At the end of the day, you were lucky to find out the truth, and in turn, you can share your story with others and help them wake up too.

Thank you for posting this story, and I hope you are now doing very well. :thumbsup: