What's new

My Mother helped me get out of the cult.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
My Mother is gone to her reward now, but she was a great influence on me in a way that many people could learn from.

Before I reveal what she said that was so instrumental in getting me to recognize this organization for what it is, I'd like to relate an incident from when I was 13 years old.

My cousin and I had climbed a fence to a locked school yard, and were playing basketball on the courts when one of my long shots went long, and crashed through a window.

And the ball had my cousins name and address written on it in marker pen! I guess he thought this would get it back if he lost it? Sheesh.

So, feeling partially responsible, I accompanied him on his burglary to recover the ball. Once inside, we started to look around, and found an envelope full of money! We were in full thief mode then, although I think the worst thing I ever did before was stick a candy bar in my pocket when I was a kid and not pay for it. And I was so paranoid after doing that, that I never did it again.

But this night, the adrenaline was flowing hard, and it seemed like an exciting mission. We were so dumb, we went back again, and got caught, arrested, put in cuffs, the whole nine yards.

Watching the cops around the cop shop while we were getting 'booked' was an education. One guy was joking about how he made his rookie partner loose it by telling him to quick, do cpr on an obviously few days old corpse of some old lady while he went and called it in, but that's another story.

To get to the point; we were given six months 'informal probation' by the juvenile court, but in addition, my cousin was severely punished by his loco mother. Don't know if she beat him this time, as he was pretty big by then, but she'd done it before. He was, however, suddenly a prisoner for months. Chores and confinement. Remind you of the RPF?

She blamed me, though it was his idea to go break in both times! I was just trying to be loyal to my cousin. Well, at least until we found the money, then I was more enthusiastic!

My mother, however-get this- picked me up, drove me home in silence, and then just said; 'Ray, I never expected you would ever do anything like this.' And never mentioned it again! No punishment at all. Whoa.

I haven't stole as much as too much change since.

Let's just say my cousin is a deeply disturbed person, and leave it at that.

Many years later, when I gave Mom the cult schpeal about none of the money going to Hubbard but author royalties and all the rest, she says, "you really believe that?".

I talked a little more. Well, my mouth was moving, but it was Hubs crap coming out, really.

Then she said; "you're smart, Ray. You'll figure this out." with a little knowing smile, and never really commented on it again, just gave me support when I finally got out. And that old lady turned out to be right.

When she died, I wasn't there, but my sister and nephew were, and they both claimed there were movements and half-seen people and stuff all around the room, and mom says 'who are all these people?', and then died.

And you know what? I'm not all that grief stricken. She was 87, and had fought the good fight, and died with an amazing faith in Christ, having claimed to have seen him once in a near-death experience. I just feel a little sad thinking that I can't just call her up. For a while.

Last edited:

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think your mum to be a very wise woman, you were a lucky guy to have such a wonderful lady as your mum. Loved your post too:)

James

Good twin

Floater
Thanks Ray.

You mom sounds very similar to my mom. I miss her every day, but never grieve. I didn't understand how amazing my mom was until she was gone. But that was part of what she gave me. Just like your mom she expected me to figure it all out and she never judged or interfered with my decisions. Truly unconditional love. It doesn't get any better than that.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Thanks Ray.

You mom sounds very similar to my mom. I miss her every day, but never grieve. I didn't understand how amazing my mom was until she was gone. But that was part of what she gave me. Just like your mom she expected me to figure it all out and she never judged or interfered with my decisions. Truly unconditional love. It doesn't get any better than that.

indeed

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
Rmack that brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful soul!

My parents had a similar philosophy and I'll have to say I don't have nearly the "family" baggage that many of my friends do from overly controlling parents. I'm very thankful for that as well.

I try to be that way with my kids too -- have been second guessing that lately, but you've re-inspired me!

TG1

Angelic Poster
Thanks Ray.

Ditto here, Good Twin. Aren't we lucky!

TG1

Bullwinkle

Patron with Honors
My mother, too, has this happy facility of sharing only that which is absolutely necessary (sadly, this did not seep into the gene pool I share with her).

On one occasion in which I was pressing to hear her opinion on something I had done and said, she replied, "I don't have to say everything I think."

You don't have to say everything you think? Who knew? And how do you get there from here?

Such a mother is a gem indeed, Ray. May your memories of her continue to illumine your life.

Bullwinkle

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
She set a good example as a Christian. You were fortunate to have her as your Mom. Thanks for sharing that story,

Mary