ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

My Scientology Movie written by Louis Theroux

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by CommunicatorIC, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Re: Louis Theroux's 'My Scientology Movie' converts US, UK buyers

Who was that very charming young lady who
    interviewed him?

Also Louis has completely disarmed any attempts of CO$
    to blacken his name. [well for those with more than a few braincells:coolwink:]

He said the auditing he had was helpful.

2. Lord Xenu

Lord Xenu Patron Meritorious

And you are also a fan of auditing Terril, right? There are many theories advanced about this but isn't it always a relief to talk about yourself? (That is not meant as sarcasm)

I have seen a counsellor about the effect that Scientology had on me and my life (although it was years after I had left) and I found that helpful; although that is not 'auditing' it is kind of similar.

3. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

He said the auditing he had was helpful in the same way as sitting down with a sympathetic listener and getting something off of your chest was helpful.

4. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

‘My Scientology Movie’ Reenacts the Church’s Scary Mindset

‘My Scientology Movie’ Reenacts the Church’s Scary Mindset.

Cultjer: ‘My Scientology Movie’ Reenacts the Church’s Scary Mindset

http://www.cultjer.com/‘my-scientology-movie’-reenacts-the-church’s-scary-mindset

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Heading into this screening, a question swirled around in my head as to whether we really needed another Scientology movie so closely after Alex Gibney’s fine Going Clear from last year. My thoughts concluded that we didn’t necessarily need one.

Ten minutes in and my opinion quickly changed. Louis Theroux delivers up a new thought-out approach to the controversial church: announce you’re casting actors to play church head David Miscavige in filmed re-enactments, and before you know it, My Scientology Movie has most certainly piqued your interest.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

Thematic comparisons will be made with Joshua Oppenheimer’s Oscar-winning The Act of Killing, but in no way is My Scientology Movie a cheap knock-off or even guilty of any kind of plagiarism. Both enforce similar trends in narrative structure, but Theroux has crafted a more in your face, demand results now approach that works perfectly. It has a fist-in-your-face, warts-and-all style that comes together handsomely with former Scientology enforcer Rathbun onboard to consult with the re-enactments of Miscavige and even, Tom Cruise. Rathbun’s reactions during these reenactments are some of My Scientology Movie’s most endearing moments, as he emerges as a far more compelling subject than any talking-head could ever serve up.

My Scientology Movie is revealing, hilarious at times and often, absurd. It steers away from simply regurgitating facts and already-known stories, rather, it endeavors to recreate the scary mindset the so-called Church embodies. Add in Theroux’s deadpan skepticism and the fact he’s forever being hounded by Scientology henchmen, and My Scientology Movie is a hybrid documentary that cannot be compared to anything else.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *

5. CommunicatorIC

My Scientology Movie: review

My Scientology Movie: review.

Broadcast Now UK: My Scientology Movie: review

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/my-scientology-movie-review/5104720.article

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

My Scientology Movie then proceeds on two levels. There’s the Church of Scientology’s pursuit of Theroux and Rathbun, their “squirrel-busting” posse which seemingly tracks their every move, and nuttier sequences outside Gold Base involving Theroux, the police, and Catherine Fraser, who turns out to be the ex-wife of another of the film’s disgruntled informants, former Scientology head of PR Jeff Hawkins.

And, separately, Theroux begins to needle Rathbun himself, suggesting he might be an unreliable witness and clearly trying to goad him into making further revelations. Theroux is all dishevelled charm, but Dower’s camera documents a few tense moments between the pair. This is a film replete with cameras, however, from the iphone on up, as the protagonists warily survey each other through the lens. My Scientology Movie is free-spirited enough, though, to retain an encounter with a bikini-clad wannabe actress which took place during filming and doesn’t really leaad anywhere, except to laughter.

Sold internationally by HanWay, My Scientology Movie is well-enough funded to rent California studios in which to film Rathbun’s scripted confrontations and open casting calls. Theroux’s ambitions here aren’t so much artistic as provocative, though, worming his way under the hyper-thin skins of everyone he comes into contact with and peck, peck, pecking away with his camera.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *

6. CommunicatorIC

Sheffield Doc/Fest: Filmmaker Louis Theroux turns his focus to Scientology

Sheffield Doc/Fest: Filmmaker Louis Theroux turns his focus to Scientology.

Sheffield Telegraph: Sheffield Doc/Fest: Filmmaker Louis Theroux turns his focus to Scientology

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk...roux-turns-his-focus-to-scientology-1-7959725

Filmmaker Louis Theroux spoke in Sheffield of his aim not to take 'cheap shots' at Scientology while making a new documentary about the controversial religion.

Talking during a Q&A session following a screening of the film, called My Scientology Movie, at the Sheffield Doc/Fest on Saturday, Theroux said exploring the subject was a 'special thing'.

The documentary, directed by John Dower, takes a novel approach, featuring scenes portrayed by actors playing senior members of the notorious organisation founded by the science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. Theroux was granted no access to Scientologists, and so turned to ex-devotees for help.

But he told an audience at the Showroom: "It was crucial that we should not be seen to be taking cheap shots at Scientology, because a lot of it is odd - but religion is by its very nature odd.

"I tried to interrogate our own methods as we went along and think 'Would we do this to the Anglican church or indeed Buddishm or, if you like, Islam?'

"We're all schooled, with Islam especially because of the current climate, to exercise sensitivity about the prophet Mohammed for example, and to what extent we think things outside the religion seem slightly unusual, but to actual believers seem deeply ingrained."

7. CommunicatorIC

Re: My Scientology Movie written by Louis Theroux to show at Tribeca Film Festival

British Scientology Doc Maker Says Church Was "Worried He'd Get Hurt" After Threat by Member.

The Hollywood Reporter: British Scientology Doc Maker Says Church Was "Worried He'd Get Hurt" After Threat by Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/british-scientology-doc-maker-says-902216

Louis Theroux said police came to his home in the U.K. after a call made by the church in response to 'My Scientology Doc.'
    Louis Theroux, the British broadcaster behind My Scientology Movie, a documentary prying into the secretive nature of the church and numerous allegations of abuse, has discussed his ongoing interactions with the organization a year after making the film.

Speaking during a Q&A at the Sheffield Doc/Fest over the weekend, the BBC journalist described how police officers came to his door in the U.K. following a call by the local branch of the church who said Scientology representatives were "worried you might get hurt."

8. CommunicatorIC

Re: My Scientology Movie written by Louis Theroux to show at Tribeca Film Festival

Louis Theroux says the Church of Scientology were 'worried he'd get hurt' after threats by member.

Entertainment IE: Louis Theroux says the Church of Scientology were 'worried he'd get hurt' after threats by member

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news...d-get-hurt-after-threats-by-member/381976.htm

Louis Theroux has said that the Church of Scientology claimed to be 'worried he'd get hurt' after a member allegedly saw a cut of his film and was unhappy with it.

Speaking during a Q&A at the Sheffield Doc Fest over the weekend, Theroux said that police arrived at his home in the UK after receiving a call from the local Scientology branch. The police said that the Scientology representatives were 'worried you might get hurt'

'They said someone had seen your film and they really didn't like it and had phoned [the Church of Scientology] with a threat,' he told the audience. "something about that really doesn't make sense."

9. CommunicatorIC

Louis Theroux: My Scientology Movie - Official Trailer

Louis Theroux: My Scientology Movie - Official Trailer.

[video=youtube;qFjwfVCiefM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFjwfVCiefM[/video]

Louis Theroux: My Scientology Movie - Official Trailer

Madman Films

Published on Jul 19, 2016

"As fascinating and bizarre as Scientology itself" WE GOT THIS COVERED
    In cinemas for a limited time from September 8
    http://www.myscientologymovie.com.au/

Louis Theroux hits the big screen in his first feature documentary, LOUIS THEROUX: MY SCIENTLOGY MOVIE, created in collaboration with director John Dower and two-time Academy Award® winning producer Simon Chinn (Searching for Sugar Man, Man on Wire).

Following a long fascination with the religion, and with a lot of experience dealing with eccentric human behaviour, incomparable British broadcaster Louis Theroux won’t take no for an answer when his request to enter the Church of Scientology’s Los Angeles headquarters is turned down. Theroux’s insatiable curiosity motivates him to understand what life inside the Church is really like, and with the aid of former second-in-command at the Church, Mark ‘Marty’ Rathbun, he uses actors to replay incidents people claim they experienced with high profile members such as Tom Cruise and leader David Miscavige.

Suffused with a good dose of humour and moments worthy of a Hollywood script, LOUIS THEROUX: MY SCIENTOLOGY MOVIE proves that what people do in the name of religion can be truly stranger than fiction.

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/madmanfilms
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/madmanfilms

10. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Re: Louis Theroux: My Scientology Movie - Official Trailer

I hadn't been paying attention to this movie at all.

I just watched the trailer. Hmmm. This should be fascinating!

Paul

11. Emma

Emma Con te partirò Administrator

"Are you making a documentary as well?" :laugh:

12. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Enough tease, when can we see it. In the U.S., that is?

13. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Yeah, I liked that bit. I wonder how much of it will be (to me) boring interviews with exes and how much (to me) exciting re-enactments as qual-checked by Rathbun? The Hole scenes should be fun -- although utterly unreal to never-ins as to why the inmates stood for it for years. I remember some edifying comments by Rinder in a video'd interview that explained the mindset of how a veteran SO member would accept all the degradation without (voiced) complaint, so I would expect something like that to be included.

Paul

14. BunnySkull

BunnySkull Silver Meritorious Patron

Rinder has done quite a good job at explaining the mindset to the general public. I think that's one of the most difficult things to understand for people who were never in or who have never read much about cults.

I was riveted by researching the People's Temple for many years. I will clarify that many people did not actually willingly drink the flavour-aid (it wasn't actually kool-aid but a knock-off brand) but were forced to or did so because Jones had their children poisoned first. However, you did have members who willingly drank the poison and others who injected or forced it down the throat of the others.

Once I was able to understand how something like that could happen, and the mindset/conditioning involved, understanding people staying in the hole was no big thing.

I think far more people should take an interest in cults and how they operate. The news media is obbsessed with suicide bombers and ISIS, but rarely do they take the time to investigate what factors drive people to such extremism.

15. Gib

Gib Crusader

rinder is exposing the stat lies by the DM.

Commenters are exposing their experiences of those lies and more, by LRH.

ESMB exposes the truth about LRH as a lair as his bullshit religion and so called philsophy.

Martys blog is stuck in the middle path. LOL

16. This is NOT OK !!!!

This is NOT OK !!!! Gold Meritorious Patron

Exactly!!

"On with the show!!" ....(Throws popcorn at screen)

17. Lord Xenu

18. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

19. Lord Xenu

Re: Louis Theroux at the RFH

I've seen a lot of stuff at the RFH over the years and I've never known anything sell out that quick.

20. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Re: Louis Theroux at the RFH

Astonishing its sold out so quick, especially given that its
    already shown in the London Film festival and tickets are 2 or 3
    times normal ticket price.