What's new

My story and the religion vs the management

kjabut

One thing I have noticed in the COS controversy, in all it's aspects, is this - the tenets and beliefs of the religion of Scientology are condemned along with the management (i.e.: Sea Org) of the COS.

They are two different things. The tenets, beliefs and religious technology, as originally written and used by LRH and the original Dianetics and Scientology organizations, did offer and deliver great potential benefits to individuals and to mankind. In spite of the lies perpetrated by LRH himself, and in spite of his gradual mental deterioration prior to his death, he did manage to create a very useful technology that can produce phenomenal results (I am referring to the original work of LRH, not to the perverted forms attributed to him over the last 30 or so years.).

I began services in Scientology in 1970. I completed 'The Bridge' as it was originally created and I have achieved personal spiritual freedom as a result. However, management in the Sea Org has, over the years, gradually become more and more insular, paranoid, and abusive.

Though the Sea Org holds the 'legal rights' to Scientology, the management members of the Sea Org are not, in fact, true Scientologists. The organization was taken over by David Miscavige in a coup either sometime before (which I suspect) or shortly after LRH's death. LRH had turned the reins of the church over to Pat Broeker and his wife. Somehow, David Miscavige intimidated them into relinquishing the reins to him.

The true intentions of David (and perhaps of others working with him) are to pervert the religion of Scientology, using it only to control anyone who enters into the church either as a parishioner or staff and to suppress anyone who questions or objects to the pervasive perversion he has perpetrated on the tenets of the church.

I was a member of the Sea Org from 1974 through 1984. During that time I observed the Sea Org deteriorate internally as the upper management gradually became more and more insular and paranoid. This manifested itself internally by growing suspicion of the Sea Org's own members intentions and actions - as well as those of Scientologists who were not Sea Org staff. It has also been manifested in the misuse, misapplication and outright alteration of the Scientology religious technology.

As a result, most of the best and brightest of Scientology have left of their own accord or have been excommunicated (declared suppressive) or have been imprisoned within the Sea Org's Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF), which is, in fact, very similar to the political prisons of the former USSR. Those who are strong enough end up having to leave the church and those who are weak become nothing more than robotic pawns under the control of the paranoid psychopaths who are currently running the church.

I, once one of the best and brightest of the church, was imprisoned on the RPF three times. I was finally 'fitness boarded' (a board of staff peers convened to determine the fitness of an individual to remain on staff) out of the Sea Org, much to my relief, in 1984.

I believe that the only way to salvage the church is to:

1. Rid it of the Sea Org in its entirety, including all individuals who have participated in the outright perversions of the religious, ethics and management technologies of the church,
2. Restore management as originally created to the individual churches as well as to overall church management,
3. Destroy all technological and management documents not written personally by LRH prior to his mental deterioration,
4. Create an autonomous ethics/justice system within the church that is not answerable to management, and
5. Begin delivering Scientology services to groups and individuals as they were originally intended.

Only then will the COS again be a viable asset to society and to mankind.

Last edited:

practice

Patron with Honors
Much better.

Hm, it seems to me that you are suffering from "the ancients had it all figured out" syndrome, the ancients in this case being Hubbard in the good ol' days.

I think you should consider the possibility that the subject of Scientology is a horrible oversimplification of the theory of the mind, and that there are much more useful and complete theories which produce more than sporadic wins. If you want to expand on Scientology until it becomes such a theory, I am all for it, but thinking that it is complete in the form Hubbard intended it to have is... foolish to the extreme, to say the least.

kjabut

You definitely have a point - and I am not saying that Scientology as I experienced it originally is an end-all. All I can say is that I achieved a personal and subjective awareness of myself as a spiritual being separate from my body anjd separate for the physical universe and that I am able, to some degree, have the physical universe work with me rather than throwing hurdles at me. It is difficult to describe - it is not demonstrable to others in any dramatic way - it's just that when I truely want something to happen, it does - not immediately, but gradually over time. I am also aware of myself (me the being) as being larger than any part of the universe that I am aware of. Again, it is very difficult to describe. I achieved this awareness gradually as I received the auditing levels in Scientology during the 70's. The upper levels of that time are no longer delivered ...

kjabut

Hmmm ... well, the communications he sent down during my early years in Scn were joyful, benevolent, felt right and correct - but, sometime in the late 70's all this paranoia started coming out - fear of enemies - the feeling that there were enemies everywhere - that there was an urgency to everything - that the world was going to collapse and Scientology lost - all the manifestations of someone going paranoid and psychotic.

kjabut

One other thing - there has been a lot of talk about OTIII, xenu. aliens and the geological history of the planet not backing up the level's assertions.

It is true - it didn't really happen, xenu did not really exist. It was an implant (false memory - false past event) that was somehow - I have no idea how - substituted for the real events of the time - and I don't know what the real events were - maybe just the implanting??

The point is, that addressing it as a real memory does produce the results one is trying to receive on the auditing level ... at least it did for me.

One other thing - there has been a lot of talk about OTIII, xenu. aliens and the geological history of the planet not backing up the level's assertions.

It is true - it didn't really happen, xenu did not really exist. It was an implant (false memory - false past event) that was somehow - I have no idea how - substituted for the real events of the time - and I don't know what the real events were - maybe just the implanting??

The point is, that addressing it as a real memory does produce the results one is trying to receive on the auditing level ... at least it did for me.

Addressing fantasy and outrageous fantasy as reality works for lots of people in and out of cults and religions.
Here "works" can only be something defined by all the individuals who say x,y, or z "works."
I guess it's something like concluding that some benefit has been gained.
I cannot claim someone has not had some benefit, but I think an enquiring mind may be advised if something so looney seems to have given benefit - just in case the benefit acts as a disincentive to find out how fully duped one may have been.
The uniqueness of scientology, the scam, and also the "wins" of discovering oneself is myth IMO. The methods are unique but the experinces are universal. It's just that people are told they can only get "spiritual gain" from the cult. When people leave it they naturally want to keep their "wins". But the "wins" come with imbedded associations with scientology procedures, meaningful experinces such as auditing etc, not to forget constantly been told about the uniqueness of the experience.
It ain't all that unique. Thinking that it is means that when you leave the church you carry your own little cult-cage with you and peer in at your experiences through it's bars as you reflect on your experinces and your "spiritual realities"

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
As the lies about management kept coming off the lies about the tech kept surfacing. What led me to "looking" was the tech, or shall I say the "out tech." I kept trying to fit a round peg into a square hole and keep it all together but I had to admit to myself that it was falling apart and there wasn't anything I could do about it after multiple decades in.
If you have a fight with someone and their intention is to not end the fight you can talk til you're blue in the face. It is not the church's intention to change, have in-tech for real, etc. Which led to the peeling of the onion. And each layer I stripped led me to more lies about Hubbard and management and more evil deeds which began to tip the scales for me to a point where I just don't care about the tech at this point. It's been too hurtful. The lower bridge was great for people way back when. Lots of happier people for it at the time. I think the real gain from being in was, in fact, the camaraderie of the group when it comes right down to it. That's what made it a good experience until it got too evil!

Smilla

Ordinary Human
They say if it's not broken don't fix it, but in the case of Scientology, it's so defective that it's best to discard it.

I disagree entirely with the original post.

No organization can operate just from and by the top; Miscavige did not make people agree with him.

They either did or they didn’t.

And Miscavige is not the beginning of the problem. I saw Sea Org members slap people around more than 35 years ago at a Class IV org.

Over 38 years ago I had a Sea Org missionaire hold a gun to my head and squeeze the trigger. When the gun didn’t go off he said to me “Good TRs”

The way the Church of Scientology is now is the logical consequences of the religion and philosophy of Scientology.

How could it be otherwise?

Again, the problem is not Miscavige. He’s a punk.

So why did all these powerful OTs get hustled by a punk?

Because at every step of the way he did their bidding.

He created the atmosphere, just like Hubbard did, that they were special and elite beings, above mere humans.

He and others wanted power in the Church and OTs gave it to them in exchange for what they wanted from the field.

Power in Scientology does not start at the top and work its way down.

How many people have even met or dealt with Miscavige personally?

Scientology power is a web; and the power web is supported by the field in this way:
every disconnection,
every KR,
every sneer someone gives to a person who is sick and considered PTS,
every conspiracy theory anyone subscribes to within the Church,
every time some public used clout to gain an advantageous result in an unjust chaplain cycle,
every Scientology businessman who justified underpaying his employees because they are an “on purpose” company,

all these things is where the power lays.

This isn’t only done by the people at the top.

It was and is done by the OTs and others now crying foul because their egos aren’t being stroked anymore.

If Scientology was, as was said “a very useful technology that can produce phenomenal results” people would be beating a path to its door.

You can fool some of the people all of the time.

And that’s all you need to do to have the religion of Scientology and a Church to go with it.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I disagree entirely with the original post.

No organization can operate just from and by the top; Miscavige did not make people agree with him.

They either did or they didn’t.

And Miscavige is not the beginning of the problem. I saw Sea Org members slap people around more than 35 years ago at a Class IV org.

Over 38 years ago I had a Sea Org missionaire hold a gun to my head and squeeze the trigger. When the gun didn’t go off he said to me “Good TRs”

The way the Church of Scientology is now is the logical consequences of the religion and philosophy of Scientology.

How could it be otherwise?

Again, the problem is not Miscavige. He’s a punk.

So why did all these powerful OTs get hustled by a punk?

Because at every step of the way he did their bidding.

He created the atmosphere, just like Hubbard did, that they were special and elite beings, above mere humans.

He and others wanted power in the Church and OTs gave it to them in exchange for what they wanted from the field.

Power in Scientology does not start at the top and work its way down.

How many people have even met or dealt with Miscavige personally?

Scientology power is a web; and the power web is supported by the field in this way:
every disconnection,
every KR,
every sneer someone gives to a person who is sick and considered PTS,
every conspiracy theory anyone subscribes to within the Church,
every time some public used clout to gain an advantageous result in an unjust chaplain cycle,
every Scientology businessman who justified underpaying his employees because they are an “on purpose” company,

all these things is where the power lays.

This isn’t only done by the people at the top.

It was and is done by the OTs and others now crying foul because their egos aren’t being stroked anymore.

If Scientology was, as was said “a very useful technology that can produce phenomenal results” people would be beating a path to its door.

You can fool some of the people all of the time.

And that’s all you need to do to have the religion of Scientology and a Church to go with it.

The Anabaptist Jacques
Yes, and Scientology is a status cult. You pay for status, and as you move higher through the increasingly bizarre 'levels' you gain a feeling of self importance and 'specialness.' The same is true of IAS, Power, and Ideal Org contributions. Part of the status is the 'right' to mistreat people lower on the ladder than yourself, just as the person higher on the ladder mistreats you. This process is written into every fiber of Scientology. Miscavige is the ultimate 'on source Scientologist.' From his point of view he has done nothing wrong, and his assistants agree. So why does he behave in such a brutal way? He does so because he can. That's all there is to it.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
One thing I have noticed in the COS controversy, in all it's aspects, is this - the tenets and beliefs of the religion of Scientology are condemned along with the management (i.e.: Sea Org) of the COS.

I don't see that. The Anonymous protests, for instance, concentrate on the abuses of the CofS, not the beliefs held by Scientologists.

The very recent CNN Anderson Cooper report focused entirely on the beatings at Int Mgmt. Cooper in his blog expressly stated that he is not addressing the tenets or beliefs of Scn.

I disagree with some parts of Scn tenets and agree with others, but I usually give an accompanying rationale for my praise or rejection.

I'm still waiting for someone to voice support for beatings as a management tool. :)

Paul

Blue Spirit

Silver Meritorious Patron
Thank You

WELCOME.

It is nice to see someone who has won with the original tech.
I agree with your first post.

Few here will agree with you as most lost with the "tech", not won with the tech.

May I assume that you did the earlier OT levels above OT-3, and not NOTS
that was developed mostly by David Mayo to save LRH's life, but then was extended into four levels for apparent monetary gain, although I know early persons who won with it ?

Which OT-8 did you do and when ?
Did you do the "L" Rundowns ?

Some claim to have OT-9 or above in the Freezone.

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome kjabut.

Firstly, I believe strongly that you have a right to believe in and follow a spiritual path that you are comfortable with freely.

I have one question from your first post.
They are two different things. The tenets, beliefs and religious technology, as originally written and used by LRH and the original Dianetics and Scientology organizations, did offer and deliver great potential benefits to individuals and to mankind.

Please can you explain how exactly Scientology benefits mankind?

Veda

Sponsor
You definitely have a point - and I am not saying that Scientology as I experienced it originally is an end-all. All I can say is that I achieved a personal and subjective awareness of myself as a spiritual being separate from my body anjd separate for the physical universe and that I am able, to some degree, have the physical universe work with me rather than throwing hurdles at me. It is difficult to describe - it is not demonstrable to others in any dramatic way - it's just that when I truely want something to happen, it does - not immediately, but gradually over time. I am also aware of myself (me the being) as being larger than any part of the universe that I am aware of. Again, it is very difficult to describe. I achieved this awareness gradually as I received the auditing levels in Scientology during the 70's. The upper levels of that time are no longer delivered ...

Well done. I won too and helped others win.

What I, and others, didn't notice was that Scientology - at that same time, the early 1970s - was a secretive and abusive operation based on a secretive and abusive doctrine.