What's new

Nancy Cartwright Being Sued Over Fiance's Debt

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
By the way this does not get any prettier for Nancy. Insurance Fraud being at its worst here some type of Discovery attempt could be made to determine if she was aware of what he did with the money.

This would make her party to the fraud.

Her best bet would be to pay it back and walk away.

As a matter of act she should go to the bank right now and get the check made.

As for the Church, if someone was able to discover an email or text from someone in the Church suggesting that he use the money for something for the Church then that would lean towards party to the fraud.

At least for the individual, not necessarily the Church.

Unless someone were to find proof of suggestion from someone higher up within the organization.

Rd00

This is why I think Nancy is essentially broke. If she had the money to make this go away, she would have paid it to avoid the negative PR.

I'm not sure if discovery procedures would find a link to the Church. they are usually pretty savvy about not putting these things in writing. The crush reg sessions happen inside the org, verbally. I would not be surprised if the org had devices to detect recording devices in the room.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
The Church can make life difficult for OTs who are connected to people who are not 100% "in good standing".
Expanding on what I said, from personal experience, after I left the SO I was seeing a girl. When her father (a gung-ho Scn) found out I had just left the SO, he got upset over her seeing "that f--ing freeloader".

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
time line

my involvement in his life was minor, but when I asked him for a supreintendents' job, it was after I had done OT 8, and had been in good standing for many years. My F/L days were much earlier. Maybe he didn't like tall people. He was very short. Maybe I reminded him of my sister. Maybe he didn't need anybody right then. Dude is dead. Steve fell prey to the oldest problem with contractors: comingling and misuse of funds. That is why there are bonds and insurance policies on big construction projects.
Some asshole IAS reg got a hold of him and sucked the life right out of him. I'd like to know which one of those bastards talked him out of the cash he needed to stay sane and in business and alive. Man, it makes me so glad that insane clown show is behind me. Steve, we hardly knew ye, bro.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
THIS /\ /\ /\

This - I did not know him, OhT-8 - but I agree with you on this sentiment.

I'd like to know who backed him into the corner.

How is that person (people?) sleeping at night - now ? ?

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
This is why I think Nancy is essentially broke. If she had the money to make this go away, she would have paid it to avoid the negative PR.

Nancy is far from broke. "The Simpsons" shoots 22 episodes a season and Nancy receives $400,000 an episode.

Plus, she receives a percentage on all the worldwide merchandising of products.

Celebrities are often sued for non-payment of services & contracts for one thing or another. It might have to do with the sense of entitlement they have as celebrities, but they are also sensitive to being ripped off and financially taken advantage of because they are rich celebrities.

Nancy may have gotten advice from her business manager or attorney(s) not to pay it.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Nancy may have gotten advice from her business manager or attorney(s) not to pay it.

The point being that if the guy fraudulently 'donated' the cash for the project to the 'Church', Nancy would be full bore on making it go right. Unless she's decided to tell them to get fucked.

Which would be a story in its own right :)

Zinj

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
The point being that if the guy fraudulently 'donated' the cash for the project to the 'Church', Nancy would be full bore on making it go right. Unless she's decided to tell them to get fucked.

On the other hand, celebrities are surrounded by their "Yes" people and she may not have been aware of the attempts to get her to pay.. they would have gone to her business manager for payment, not her personally.

But, I'm speculating.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron

Unless she's decided to tell them to get fucked.

Zinj

Or tell them not to have a cow. Man. :coolwink:

Given how much she gets from the Simpsons, it is inconceivable that Cartwright doesn’t have the cash to pay this.

But, she has paid a huge amount to the CoS. Perhaps she believed all those tall tales about how “when you donate to the Theta universe, it all comes back, double” crap and over-extended herself or invested with a fellow Scientologist (who was obviously so ethical and OT they didn’t need a background check) and lost it all?

Axiom142

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Or tell them not to have a cow. Man. :coolwink:

Given how much she gets from the Simpsons, it is inconceivable that Cartwright doesn’t have the cash to pay this.

But, she has paid a huge amount to the CoS. Perhaps she believed all those tall tales about how “when you donate to the Theta universe, it all comes back, double” crap and over-extended herself or invested with a fellow Scientologist (who was obviously so ethical and OT they didn’t need a background check) and lost it all?

Axiom142

She has an extremely large cash flow. All that means to Co$ reges is that she has a very large ability to go extremely far into debt, to the point where all your considerable income is going to paying interest on debt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIP6EwqMEoE

(As a Princess Bride fan I couldn't resist)

OHTEEATE

Classis

She has an extremely large cash flow. All that means to Co$ reges is that she has a very large ability to go extremely far into debt, to the point where all your considerable income is going to paying interest on debt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIP6EwqMEoE

(As a Princess Bride fan I couldn't resist)

"My name is Iago Montoya; you killed my Father; prepare to die!" If I ran into him in an elevator, I could not resist doing that line on him. I'm sure it happens to him all the time.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball

Which would be a story in its own right :)

Zinj
Yep, here's a media report that confirms this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7434296.stm

So no way is the amount of the lawsuit a major issue for her financially.
There's certainly contradictory data..

Like Zinj said: If she has the money, and is still a 'dedicated' scientologist, then she would have pay'd up immediatly. She would probably have been told to by OSA.. To avoid the PR flap.

But it does look like she will not pay.. This could be that she think Scientology can sort out their shit themselves.. Ie. She deliberatly causes the PR flap to happen.. Which would promptly land her in 'treason' condition. She knows this! - If this is the case she's giving Scientology the abominable finger!

Or she doesn't have the money.. Which would probably land her in 'treason' too...

:yes:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
But it does look like she will not pay.. This could be that she think Scientology can sort out their shit themselves.. Ie. She deliberatly causes the PR flap to happen.. Which would promptly land her in 'treason' condition. She knows this! - If this is the case she's giving Scientology the abominable finger!

This possiblity is very intriguing! I doubt that that's what going on, but one can always hope. :yes::D

Or she doesn't have the money.. Which would probably land her in 'treason' too...

Yes, this is really the highest crime within the CoS, even more so than just being there and communicating. The only exception is for those providing CoS with slave labor......in that case lack of money is excusable.

Feral

Rogue male
There's certainly contradictory data..

Like Zinj said: If she has the money, and is still a 'dedicated' scientologist, then she would have pay'd up immediatly. She would probably have been told to by OSA.. To avoid the PR flap.

:yes:

So it could be a Mexican stand off.

This could get interesting, Nancy's man was pushed to suicide by insane financial demands by the cult, that would have been a big loss for anyone.

Now she knows that if she doesn't pay out the insurance company's claim and fights it successfully the Cof$ may be forced to the courts and ultimately have to return the money.

Every time I've seen or experienced a situation like that of any kind the Cof$ just demand that you pay and save them, to do less would be an unspeakable crime, it would be restated as a charge of "causing a PR flap and bringing the church into disrepute" or some such.

I've also seen them bringing enormous pressure upon regular folk for not complying with there demands; comm evs, sec checks and OSA ops. I don't know if that extends to wealthy celebs too though.

Last edited:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
huh

I don't know. Never dealt with celebs, but from wild legal and possible flap sits, those that be sometimes had weird ideas on how to handle because they thought they were invincible. Since it was HE who committed suicide, I wouldn't be surprised if they really thought they could blame it all on him...on other people handling it and try to somehow divorce her from the whole situation. Unless it comes to no other handle, her paying would look to them like she was admitting and connecting herself to the whole thing. It's usually a last resort, and always followed by briefings about how CoS is right, we could win this damn thing if we wanted to, but we finally just decided to pay it off because it's too much Dev-T and pulls everyone off of what we are trying to actually do. The whole attack against the CoS if based on fabricated stuff just to pull us off purpose, so after a 'careful eval' we laughingly give them some concession and refuse to let them 'win' by taking up our time and resources. Sounds pretty crazy, but I've seen too many damn things follow that patter when I was in. I'm sure there are battleplans and weirdness galore.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
I'm coming around to the idea that Nancy does have the dosh. In my experience the rich are *always* slow payers because its better for them to have the money earning interest for as long as possible so why hand it over any sooner than you have to? The only problem with my theory is the bad PR angle . . . hmmmm.

<. . . goes back to munching pop corn . . . >

Arthur Dent

My speculation is that the cofs will handle this with kid gloves with Ms. Cartwright. They can't afford any more PR crap, I mean flap, so I think they will not give Nancy the "standard" treatment but will go "non standard" and work it out with her to keep her on their side. A few hundred thousand isn't t

She is pretty dedicated but losing your beau to the sea and getting sued can certainly push one over the edge... oh my.:omg:

A few hundred thousand isn't that much money considering the potential of the flap.