What's new

Narconon & ABLE have filed their reply to the courts

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
http://tonyortega.org/2014/07/10/sc...at-ryan-hamilton-and-his-lawsuits/#more-15745

Now, Narconon International and ABLE have filed a motion to dismiss themselves from one of the lawsuits, making use of a classic Scientology strategy: We have nothing to do with anything.

Narconon International and ABLE “do not manage, supervise or monitor the day to day operations of Narconon Fresh Start or the Caliente, Nevada center,” says the motion.

:roflmao:

Rd00

Edit - cut joke ...insert reality - If you want to help a good cause and you know the actual way Narconon works from having been on staff - why not hire yourself out as an expert witness? They, expert witnesses, can make some serious money!!! Like a grand an hour. They can get air fare, and are often paid by the day ( per diem) Google expert witness fees. Call Ryan - he needs you!

Mimsey

I asked someone who knows - she said it was more like a grand or two a day - still ain't chicken feed - but is it worth being fair gamed? That's the question. Mimsey

Last edited:

Anonycat

Crusader
Edit - cut joke ...insert reality - If you want to help a good cause and you know the actual way Narconon works from having been on staff - why not hire yourself out as an expert witness? They, expert witnesses, can make some serious money!!! Like a grand an hour. They can get air fare, and are often paid by the day ( per diem) Google expert witness fees. Call Ryan - he needs you!

Mimsey

I asked someone who knows - she said it was more like a grand or two a day - still ain't chicken feed - but is it worth being fair gamed? That's the question. Mimsey

Sure! Then sue the cult, and hire Monique for your expert witness.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Edit - cut joke ...insert reality - If you want to help a good cause and you know the actual way Narconon works from having been on staff - why not hire yourself out as an expert witness? They, expert witnesses, can make some serious money!!!

I'd of been more than happy to work as an expert witness for no money (other than paying my travel expenses), but I presume my information is too old, from 1987-88.

Before ABLE INT existed the name was SOCO INT (Social Coordination International), and I was there for a year back when it was on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles. No idea where it is now. :unsure:

SOCO INT was a Sea Org Org and we controlled the Narconon Network as well as TWTH (The Way to Happiness), Applied Scholastics, etc.

The Executive Director for Narconon International was in our offices frequently.

http://tonyortega.org/2014/07/10/sc...at-ryan-hamilton-and-his-lawsuits/#more-15745

Now, Narconon International and ABLE have filed a motion to dismiss themselves from one of the lawsuits, making use of a classic Scientology strategy: We have nothing to do with anything.

Narconon International and ABLE “do not manage, supervise or monitor the day to day operations of Narconon Fresh Start or the Caliente, Nevada center,” says the motion.

Rd00

Scientology: Cause over everything and nothing to do with anything - when the cops arrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp9BJxFHDYI

FoTi

Crusader
I'd of been more than happy to work as an expert witness for no money (other than paying my travel expenses), but I presume my information is too old, from 1987-88.

Before ABLE INT existed the name was SOCO INT (Social Coordination International), and I was there for a year back when it was on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles. No idea where it is now. :unsure:

SOCO INT was a Sea Org Org and we controlled the Narconon Network as well as TWTH (The Way to Happiness), Applied Scholastics, etc.

The Executive Director for Narconon International was in our offices frequently.

Maybe you could contact the attorney and see if he could use you as a witness, even if it was over 25 years ago....one thing it shows is how long this scam has been going on. If he can and if you decide to do it, I'd take the money if I were you. When Narconon/CoS loses this one, they will have to pay the expenses of the litigation.....better the money is in your pocket than in CoS/Narconon pocket. No?

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Maybe you could contact the attorney and see if he could use you as a witness, even if it was over 25 years ago....one thing it shows is how long this scam has been going on. If he can and if you decide to do it, I'd take the money if I were you. When Narconon/CoS loses this one, they will have to pay the expenses of the litigation.....better the money is in your pocket than in CoS/Narconon pocket. No?

I would do this if Social Coordination still existed, but with the changeover to ABLE I doubt anything I had to say would be relevant.

ABLE is at 7065 Hollywood Blvd. It's the former Hollywood Congregational Church, right next to Author Services and the El Cadiz Apartments where DM lives.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
ABLE is at 7065 Hollywood Blvd. It's the former Hollywood Congregational Church, right next to Author Services and the El Cadiz Apartments where DM lives.

I strongly suspect that the connection between ABLE and Author Services is more than just geographic in nature.

Back when I was at SOCO I assisted the Mission I/C running a project going on in China which involved a number of concerts over there with Scientology Celebs. The purpose of the mission included promoting the Scientology front groups over there as well as Dianetics as well. And the Mission I/C was being run by someone from Author Services.

I would do this if Social Coordination still existed, but with the changeover to ABLE I doubt anything I had to say would be relevant.

Call Ryan and let him decide. He may pay you for background information.I would think even if your info is stale it shows that the fraud has been a way of business from day one. Mimsey

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
OK, will let him know. :thumbsup:

I suspect though that there is mountains of evidence about Narconon being a scam. :biggrin:

Seriously, with all the lawsuits that have been going on here in the U.S. I imagine that some great info has come from them, plus all of what David Love has uncovered up north in Canada.

Anonycat

Crusader
I suspect though that there is mountains of evidence about Narconon being a scam. :biggrin:

Seriously, with all the lawsuits that have been going on here in the U.S. I imagine that some great info has come from them, plus all of what David Love has uncovered up north in Canada.

Pooks said that she was the one who made up the success rate %.

I hope he starts winning those cases, though I have a feeling they will be settling them rather than fight and risk setting a precedent. If they settle enough them, and it drains their war chest enough, they may shut narconon down rather than continue to bleed cash.

Or, another model they may adopt, is to run narconon like they run the IAS - hit up the whales for donos to fund ideal drug rehab centers and support drug education, and not deliver any narconon services to speak of.

Mimsey

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
Outstanding post and analysis posted on Tony Ortega's blog today
by Hamtaro.
Salutations Hamtaro !
http://disqus.com/disqus_0uttU47eVo/
Hamtaro • 11 hours ago
"We’re told that this is a standard procedure in this particular court, and that there’s a good chance this lawsuit could be settled at that meeting."

This one time, I have to respectfully disagree. I believe there is zero chance of a negotiated settlement at this juncture. In the 20+ years I've been reading Scn court documents, this is never Scn's strategy. It is always to delay the proceedings as long as possible, to get the best understanding of their potential overall liability, and to put both the plaintiff and the plaintiff's attorneys through a grueling war of attrition.

Already there are 16 suits. There could eventually be 100, 500 or 2000 suits. Therefore, to ensure the survival of Narconon, Scn will have to accomplish (at least one or two of the following) three things before even one suit can be settled:
A. Convince Hamilton to agree to not file any additional suits, ever, or have Narconon establish some variation of a "global settlement fund" that would include a maximum dollar liability that all Scn related entities will have to pay to all current and future Narconon plaintiffs, similar to the BP oil spill or Union Carbide at Bhopal.
B. Narconon, Scn and their liability insurer(s) must already be in serious conflict because not only can the insurer(s) see the probability of lots of additional future suits, Narconon continues to incur additional liability every day by continuing the fraudulent practices. Therefore, no sane insurer is going to go forward without limiting their eventual liability by one of several methods, each of which is far too complex to go into here. Obviously, these negotiations will take place outside the view of the plaintiffs, but they will be lengthy and you can damn well bet that this issue will be resolved before DM ever considers putting his stamp of approval on any settlement.
C. I fully believe Scn will never settle until one or more courts rule (presumably during pretrial motion practice) on the issue of liability for Narconon Inc and ABLE. On the remote chance that liability can be limited to the local Narconon/Fresh Start corporations, Scn will then adopt the tactic of stripping out assets and attempting to prove that each is individually insolvent, or close to it, and work towards settling the suits for nuisance values, say $50,000 a piece. This is a tried and true Scn legal strategy that worked to delay, for example, final resolution of the Wollersheim suit for well over a decade.

I agree with Tony that Scn will do virtually anything to avoid having one of these cases go to trial. I just also believe that their legal strategy (as it is ultimately determined by DM) will not allow even one case to settle until they have determined the broad strokes of their global exit strategy for this entire fiasco. To do otherwise would be to effectively allow Narconon to be put out of business.

Like most critics, my personal preference is to see a test case go to trial. I certainly hope that if that ever happens, the first thing Ryan Hamilton does when it's his turn to speak in open court is to turn to the table full of Narconon/Scn attorneys and say "Good morning, gentlemen, this is the session."

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Outstanding post and analysis posted on Tony Ortega's blog today
by Hamtaro.
Salutations Hamtaro !

<snip>
B. Narconon, Scn and their liability insurer(s) must already be in serious conflict because not only can the insurer(s) see the probability of lots of additional future suits, Narconon continues to incur additional liability every day by continuing the fraudulent practices. Therefore, no sane insurer is going to go forward without limiting their eventual liability by one of several methods
<snip>

Would the insurer have some kind of standard clause in their contracts that would release them from liability in the case of fraud?

I doubt they're very much interested in paying out any of these settlements if there IS a strong case for fraud.

And I imagine that they may have already heard about the insurance fraud perpetuated by Narconon in Georgia recently as well as the other legal problems that Narconon is having (such as with the National Association of Forensic Counselors). :ohmy:

:hmm:

I don't know how or when this will all end but I don't see any happy endings in this story for Narconon. :no: