NEW BOOK - Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia

Jump

Operating teatime
Brilliant, thanks Scooter! That is seriously good.

I also saw a good segment on A Current Affair last night with Steve being interviewed, I'm not sure if there's a video available.

Couldn't find that one, but here is an interview with Steve Cannane from last week...

[video=youtube;XRGrS1pQ5nk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRGrS1pQ5nk[/video]

RogerB

Crusader
No Peter Cundall is an Australian gardening guru and that was his catchphrase.

Thanks, Free . . .

Jezzuz a man leaves home for a quick trip overseas, gets waylaid, ends up somewhere he didn't intend to be . . . and the whole world he once knew changes! :melodramatic:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Finished reading the book yesterday during my lunchbreak - what a page-turner !!!

Hopefully a lot more folk here in Oz find it the same - it really does give a great rundown on the cult's chequered history and mentions lots of names and events that most Oz peeps would be familiar with. And doesn't sensationalise anything.

More on the launch - I did see one person outside on the street who looked familiar and who MAY have been OSA. Very hunted-looking, around my age but doing it tough emotionally, looked at me like I was a snake about to eat him. This person was scurrying away from the entrance to the theatre in a hurry. Sure I'd seen them at a recent event in Sydney. But may just have been someone off their face on something who looked familiar. As it was invite-only, no plants would've been able to get in to report back to Marcab Central about "our" goings-on.:biggrin:

Lots of peeps there who we've later recognised from watching a bit of TV. And most of them got a copy of the book and the obligatory photo with Steve (and many with Nic as well.) I sat near the book table for a fair bit catching up with the truly amazing Rohan Wenn and watched with delight as the parade of "celebrities" got a story in their hands that should change forever the way they look at the cult. Now wonder OSA ANZO has been quiet - I doubt there's anything in this book that they can dispute and they obviously won't want to be putting themselves anywhere near a now-educated person who could ask "embarrassing" questions about their "religion."

As Kirsty would've turned 15 a few days before this, it was more than a bit tough emotionally for me going back into those memories on the night. But great to catch up with fellow escapees who've helped Steve with this book. And I guess that was the high point. Seeing peeps like Jose and Carmen doing sooooo much better now in life and their resilience and courage publicly acknowledged was a buzz.

Kudos to Steve for a great read and I just wish I'd had this at my fingertips back in 1979 when I first walked in the door at Lee Street a young and curious Scooter.

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
Tetloj . . . :biggrin:

Peter Crundall :biggrin: did you, do you know him? From where, in Oz or the US?

He was Australia's "first Clear" back around 1959-60 or so . . . he did it in London under Hubbs. On his return to Oz, he said: "There's a lot more to do!" . . . meaning, this Clear gig is not the end of case.

You wrote Roy Masters . . . is that a typo meaning Ron Masters? He was a wonderful man, and Dot, his wife. It was Ron that got Alan Walter going . . .

R

Free has answered for Peter Cundall!

Roy Masters was the St George coach at the time Joe Reaiche went into Scientology and went on to be a print/TV sports journalist.

I mentioned him because he is a well known name in Australian public life.

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
As Kirsty would've turned 15 a few days before this, it was more than a bit tough emotionally for me going back into those memories on the night. But great to catch up with fellow escapees who've helped Steve with this book. And I guess that was the high point. Seeing peeps like Jose and Carmen doing sooooo much better now in life and their resilience and courage publicly acknowledged was a buzz..
Wish there was a hugs button :console:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology has been running a 'penal colony' in Sydney, book alleges.

Triple J Hack at ABC AU: Scientology has been running a 'penal colony' in Sydney, book alleges

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progr...ogy-ran-a-western-sydney-penal-colony/7886098

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

A young Venezuelan signs a billion-year contract with a notoriously secretive religion, goes to work on a 'floating church' cruise ship, falls in love, and is punished at a Western Sydney 'penal colony'.

This is a story told by former Hack host Steve Cannane in a new book on Scientology, called Fair Game.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
Frothing in the mouth with righteous indignation. Oh how the Cult *HATES* their crime wave of 40 years to get revealed...Steve Cananne's book FAIR GAME.
Steve.Cannane_1.jpg

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Frothing in the mouth with righteous indignation. Oh how the Cult *HATES* their crime wave of 40 years to get revealed...Steve Cananne's book FAIR GAME.
Steve.Cannane_1.jpg

I'm guessing it's the same Jonesy who has been around Sydney orgs since the 80s.

I doubt that he's even read the cover of the book - he was always willing to do whatever OSA ANZO wanted him to do. Man who thought he knew it all - drove mining trucks and paid for his auditing that way. Lived around our area - Hunter Valley. Lots of coal mines around here and lots of money used to be made by the miners - not so much now.

Not a person who ever had relationships of any sort. Obviously still mainlining the Kool-Aid sad to see. Decent enough person I always thought.

Anyway the $cientology brand is sooooo smashed in this country no-one will take any notice of any ranting cultie who mounts a soapbox as Australia KNOWS what this toxic cult is all about. And ignorant outrage like the above just confirms it for all to see.

FUCK YOU, OSA ANZO !!!

RogerB

Crusader
Yep . . he can't even state any specific of what he claims are the "falsehoods" . . . not one cited.

I can vouch for the fact the facts in the book are facts as I personally experienced Steve cross-checking and verifying stuff repeatedly . . . indeed, I gave him stuff that I personally know, experienced and saw but some not cited because, presumably, Steve was not able to cross verify and get validated (by another/others).

The book is truly a masterwork.

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
The book is truly a masterwork.

I totally agree.
This one fills in very important holes, specially about Miscavige's takeover and the Gamboas.
Definitely in the top 5.
The chapter about Australian Rugby and their players and weird terms was...ummm...mysterious! :biggrin:

RogerB

Crusader
I totally agree.
This one fills in very important holes, specially about Miscavige's takeover and the Gamboas.
Definitely in the top 5.
The chapter about Australian Rugby and their players and weird terms was...ummm...mysterious! :biggrin:

Strewth, Mate, . . . you don't speak 'Strine? :biggrin:

R

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

:surprise1:

Just got hold of my copy today and can't wait to read it, I had a quick flick through and it looks as if it covers a lot of ground and is well put together.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

:surprise1:

Just got hold of my copy today and can't wait to read it, I had a quick flick through and it looks as if it covers a lot of ground and is well put together.

Me too! What an excellent writer Steve is, it's even better than I expected and I knew it would be good. That first story literally had me in tears, not only because I can well imagine the circumstances but also looking at it as a detached reader as well, one cannot imagine scientology is still allowed to get away with this. I'm so glad Jose was believed and supported by the people who helped (wonderful exes) and also the Australian authorities. This is just one example, I sincerely hope they do something soon because they know human trafficking exists in scientology and every day that passes people are being hurt.
I have only finished Chapter 1! I expect there will be more to say ...

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Me too! What an excellent writer Steve is, it's even better than I expected and I knew it would be good. That first story literally had me in tears, not only because I can well imagine the circumstances but also looking at it as a detached reader as well, one cannot imagine scientology is still allowed to get away with this. I'm so glad Jose was believed and supported by the people who helped (wonderful exes) and also the Australian authorities. This is just one example, I sincerely hope they do something soon because they know human trafficking exists in scientology and every day that passes people are being hurt.
I have only finished Chapter 1! I expect there will be more to say ...

Yes, I was mortified for the poor man too and so happy when he got taken care of ... I hadn't heard that story before but so many names are very familiar ... it's quite hard to read some of it and remain detached.

I can't put the book down and am just taking a quick break now before heading back to it (I've just read 3 chapters).

Bye for now.

:study:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yes, I was mortified for the poor man too and so happy when he got taken care of ... I hadn't heard that story before but so many names are very familiar ... it's quite hard to read some of it and remain detached.

I can't put the book down and am just taking a quick break now before heading back to it (I've just read 3 chapters).

Bye for now.

:study:

Jose's story has been kept quiet for a long time - there were only a few handful of peeps who knew and "we" were leaving it up to Jose to tell it as he wished. Steve was told about it several years ago (I dunno by who) and he's managed to get it in print.

I know what you mean about being unable to put it down - it's a total page-turner and I just sat and read it whenever I could and finished it in less than 3 days.

The cult has had no answer to it here in Oz - I think they just don't have the personnel (and that includes public "volunteers") to do anything other than a few whinges about Steve. "Ignore Tech" at its best and most effective.:biggrin:

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is an excellent interview and the book seems to have some stunning revelations on previously unknown facts about Scientology.