NEW BOOK - Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
NEW BOOK - Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy.

Amazon: Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy

https://www.amazon.com/Scientology-Popular-Culture-Influences-Legitimacy/dp/1440832498/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

attachment.php

Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy Hardcover – January 31, 2017
by Stephen A. Kent (Author), Susan Raine Ph.D. (Author)

This multidisciplinary study of Scientology examines the organization and the controversies around it through the lens of popular culture, referencing movies, television, print, and the Internet?an unusual perspective that will engage a wide range of readers and researchers.

• Discusses Scientology within the framework of popular culture, which is how most people outside the religion come in contact with it

• Approaches the study of Scientology from multiple viewpoints, enabling readers to have an informed, multicultural perspective on the religious group's beliefs and practices from which to form their own opinion

• Presents information about Scientology derived from one of the largest university archive collections on the subject worldwide, with a number of documents never before having been referenced in scholarship

Editorial Reviews

About the Author

Stephen A. Kent, PhD, is professor of sociology at the University of Alberta, where he teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on the sociology of religion and the sociology of sectarian groups.

Susan Raine is assistant professor in the Sociology Department at MacEwan University in Edmonton, Canada.

Product Details
Hardcover: 321 pages
Publisher: Praeger (January 31, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1440832498
ISBN-13: 978-1440832499
Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

HT - Once Born on Tony Ortega's blog: http://tonyortega.org/2016/07/28/as...ientology-entities-settle/#comment-2807992829

Attachments

• Scientology in Popular Culture - Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy.jpg
    Scientology in Popular Culture - Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 244

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Re: NEW BOOK - Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimac

This is awesome! Dr. Kent is an excellent writer and a meticulous researcher, his past papers on scientology are well worth reading for anyone needing some academic stimulation of a high degree. I look forward to reading this one day. :yes:

:cheers:

phenomanon

Canyon
Re: NEW BOOK - Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimac

This is awesome! Dr. Kent is an excellent writer and a meticulous researcher, his past papers on scientology are well worth reading for anyone needing some academic stimulation of a high degree. I look forward to reading this one day. :yes:

:cheers:

I am excited to read it, too. But did you see the price?:ohmy:

Jump

Operating teatime

University library reading room. :yes:

For a proper academic text, fully referenced, which I think it will be, 55 bucks ain't bad.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader

Yeh I know eh, sadness as I may have to wait for years to read this. Oh holy-hell even OSA shills will read this before me, oh, be still my beating heart :melodramatic:

:)

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron

IMHO da cherch has succeeded in being recognized as a religion. Just not a respectable one.

Helena

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron

University library reading room. :yes:

For a proper academic text, fully referenced, which I think it will be, 55 bucks ain't bad.

Yeah, low volume print runs on academic texts drive up the price. I don't see why they bother to make physical copies at all any more - the price could be a lot lower with e-book only formats and non-traditional publishers.

RogerB

Crusader

On new books . . .
For the first time, learn the truth about what *really* happened to LRH and the Sea Org at Corfu, Greece, in 1968 and early 1969. Find out who really was behind it, and why. Liars such as Russell Miller and Jon Atack wrote a false, fictional "history" to twist, omit, and hide crucial facts—because that was exactly their jobs. Now you can know the facts.

Excerpt, Chapter 19 “Tangier, Morocco: The Real Watergate”
This is an excerpt from the book Watergate: The Hoax, by Ashton Gray, now on sale at Amazon, iBooks, Barnes & Noble, and other fine book retailers. This is Chapter…
chaletbooks.com

Copied link in case it did come through:
http://www.chaletbooks.com/chaletreports/?p=695

Errrrr, chapter 19 has obviously been written by someone either in the cult or dull enough to believe all that is given to him by the cult . . .

My reply on the (closed group) "Independant Scientologists Facebook group was . . .

ugh . . . that read of Chapter 19 was about as believable as the Democratic Nat. Committee spokesperson's assertion that the Russians hacked their emails and exposed them in order to help Trump get elected president! It ain't so . . .

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

NEW BOOK - Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy.

Amazon: Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy

https://www.amazon.com/Scientology-Popular-Culture-Influences-Legitimacy/dp/1440832498/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

attachment.php

Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy Hardcover – January 31, 2017
by Stephen A. Kent (Author), Susan Raine Ph.D. (Author)

This multidisciplinary study of Scientology examines the organization and the controversies around it through the lens of popular culture, referencing movies, television, print, and the Internet?an unusual perspective that will engage a wide range of readers and researchers.

• Discusses Scientology within the framework of popular culture, which is how most people outside the religion come in contact with it

• Approaches the study of Scientology from multiple viewpoints, enabling readers to have an informed, multicultural perspective on the religious group's beliefs and practices from which to form their own opinion

• Presents information about Scientology derived from one of the largest university archive collections on the subject worldwide, with a number of documents never before having been referenced in scholarship

Editorial Reviews

About the Author

Stephen A. Kent, PhD, is professor of sociology at the University of Alberta, where he teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on the sociology of religion and the sociology of sectarian groups.

Susan Raine is assistant professor in the Sociology Department at MacEwan University in Edmonton, Canada.

Product Details
Hardcover: 321 pages
Publisher: Praeger (January 31, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1440832498
ISBN-13: 978-1440832499
Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

HT - Once Born on Tony Ortega's blog: http://tonyortega.org/2016/07/28/as...ientology-entities-settle/#comment-2807992829

As a scholarly work, I hope that Dr. Stephen Kent's book influences the world of academia in the same way that Lawrence Wright's affected the popular culture.
Also, coincidentally, Chris Shelton began an excellent video series, "Deconstructing Scientology" which is an excellent critique of the work of one of the academic apologists for Scientology

(The book that Roger is referencing appears to be an OSA work product and will doubtless entertain the tin-foil types.)

Last edited: