NEW book - The Defector: After 20 years in Scientology, by Robert Dam

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
NEW book - The Defector: After 20 years in Scientology, by Robert Dam.

The author's website indicates the book was first published in Danish in 2011. Amazon states the English edition was published on January 21, 2017.

NOTE: The Kindle edition is free if one is a member of Kindle Unlimited.

Related ESMB thread: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?28866-Robert-Dam-(danish-guy)-on-Swedish-norwegian-tv

https://www.amazon.com/DEFECTOR-After-20-years-Scientology-ebook/dp/B01N4QV7ZK/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

WHJJDQ3.jpg

The DEFECTOR: After 20 years in Scientology

by Robert Dam (Author)

4.5 out of 5 stars 2 customer reviews

Price

Kindle Unlimited $0.00

Kindle $8.72

Paperback $15.99

REVIEW: The DEFECTOR is a strong, personal story about the uncanny parallel world of Scientology. It is written by Robert Dam, who himself was a member of the mothership of Scientology in EUROPE – right in the center of Danish capital, Copenhagen – for 20 years, until he defected in 2004.The story of his personal life with Scientology, as well as the story of the movement itself, is not for the fainthearted. It is hair-raising reading. Scientology’s paranoid world view and the strict control of its members and critics make an alarming pivot point in the authors’ story as well as the story of the movement itself.

The book is extremely well written, a real page turner, an absolute thriller. The story opens with a classic thriller plot, in which part of the ending is unveiled after which we start at the beginning. Slowly, the context of the plot is unraveled, and finally we are at the beginning, and we have already understood, why it had to end this way.

Product details

File Size: 1795 KB
Print Length: 370 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1520441827
Publication Date: January 21, 2017
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
Language: English
ASIN: B01N4QV7ZK
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
Not Enabled
Word Wise: Enabled
Lending: Enabled
Screen Reader: Supported
Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #179,791 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#424 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Religious
#1763 in Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Religious
#2406 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs

More about the author

Visit Amazon's Robert Dam Page

Robert Dam

Biography

Born in Denmark in 1964 and set out for one failure after the other until that special day in spring 1984.... After a personality test and 2 hours of Dianetics therapy (auditing) I joined Scientology and remained a loyal and dedicated member for the next 20 years of my life until that special day where I had to realize that it was all yet another failure. 20 years, all my adult life, OT V (highest level available in Europe), highly esteemed member, but no more super human than anyone else.

Ironically, writing my story and releasing it in late summer 2011 through Danish publishing house, Kristeligt Dagblad, became a success and the book hit the bestseller lists and remained there for several weeks. The year after it was translated into Swedish and Norwegian and published on those markets as well. I gave interviews to practically all the biggest newspapers in the 3 countries and was in numerous talk shows on major television channels.

In 2015 my 3–episode documentary, produced by Warner Bros., was broadcast on Danish TV2 and became a huge success.

Now my book has finally been translated into English by a professional English translator and edited by a professional American editor and I hope that you will find it thrilling, interesting and inspiring.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

EDITED TO ADD: BOOK TWEETED.

As always, retweets, quotations and replies welcome.

https://twitter.com/IndieScieNews/status/890039843044110338

SBTHHO4.png

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Re: NEW book - The Defector: After 20 years in Scientology

[video=youtube;szohQyvYa6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szohQyvYa6o[/video]

Here's Robert Dam's website.

I got the distinct impression that he's still very much a Scientologist and a fan of Hubbard. It's the CoS and their current management he's got a problem with.

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

[video=youtube;szohQyvYa6o]Here's Robert Dam's website.

I got the distinct impression that he's still very much a Scientologist and a fan of Hubbard. It's the CoS and their current management he's got a problem with.
Then again, there is this from his author's bio on the Amazon book page linked and quoted at length above:

Born in Denmark in 1964 and set out for one failure after the other until that special day in spring 1984.... After a personality test and 2 hours of Dianetics therapy (auditing) I joined Scientology and remained a loyal and dedicated member for the next 20 years of my life until that special day where I had to realize that it was all yet another failure. 20 years, all my adult life, OT V (highest level available in Europe), highly esteemed member, but no more super human than anyone else.

Lone Star

Crusader

Well let me guess which outfit published and printed this book....could it beeeeeeeeee the

Troika Press? :omg:

:lol:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

[video=youtube;szohQyvYa6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szohQyvYa6o[/video]

Here's Robert Dam's website.

Interesting!

I think your comment is very relevant! To wit, on his website, he states:

" For non-Scientologists entertaining scandals and sci-fi stories are the first thing to capture the eye. Beware that this is not Scientology as a subject. This is all kind of informations which mainly originates as a result of all the conflicts following the Scientology organization. The Church of Scientology as it exist today does not anymore practice the original pure Scientology technology as developed by L Ron Hubbard. It practices an altered version.

This can be verified simply by going into the bookstore in any Scientology Church and take a look at the books they sell. They are not anymore by L. Ron Hubbard, but by CSI (Church of Scientology International) or by CST (Church of Spiritual Technologies doing business as L. Ron Hubbard Library). When comparing the new editions to the originals, one will find several changes from the original writings of L Ron Hubbard, fatal and less fatal. This is also the case for the councelling procedures, training courses etc.

These alterations has caused many branches of the subject of Scientology. So while the internet can be entertaining, be aware that a lot of the materials you will find has little to do with the original writings of L Ron Hubbard."

Yikes!

He doesn't want Scientology to get a bad name.

Little does he realize that his nightmarish multi-decade ordeal with the cult's fair-gaming terrorism happened because Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard ordered it to happen.

I always marveled at "indie" scientologists who celebrate Hubbard, the very same person that defrauded them and (if alive today) would do everything in his power to destroy them, drive them insane, falsely imprison them or kill they (by murder or induced suicide).

Yeah, it wasn't Scientology that was at fault, it was a bad management exec David Miscavige. LOL

Oh yeah, I didn't almost die from the poisonous soft drink, it was the fault of the bottle that held it. If not for that bottle, i could not have contained the liquid death and held it up to my lips to drink. It's the bottle, I tell ya! LOL

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

I guess the question is: does he think he would have achieved those superhuman powers if he had gotten pure and unadulterated Hubbard materials? Is he still a True Believer in Hubbard and just detailing in his book about how the organization and Miscavige screwed it all up?

If so, he's just delaying the completion of his waking up process.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

Then again, there is this from his author's bio on the Amazon book page linked and quoted at length above:

Perhaps he no longer considers himself a Scientologist these days. I read some stuff on his website from 2004 and certainly lots can change in 13 years.

But back then he wrote:
The beauty of the technology of Dianetics and Scientology

Excerpt:
What amased me when I first met Dianetics and Scientology was the amount of logic used in a field usually dominated by theoretical ideas. Hubbards approach to the human mind was entirely different from anything I had seen. He applied common sence, intelligence and plain observation. And he always used the parameter of results. The thesis could be interesting, yes, but did it work? If it did not produce a positive result then Hubbard would simply leave it. I warmly recommend books like Dianetics The Modern Science of Mental Health, Dianetics The Evolution of a Science and others. It is fasinating reading and the beauty of it all is that it gives you a technology.

A precise technology to deal with the problems of the human mind. And it works. <snip>

Full Post: http://robertdam-cos.dk/Beauty of the Tech.html

EDIT: OK, I just went back and saw he labeled these pages "historic", and that they are the views he had JUST after he defected in 2004, after being in for 20 years.

So disregard my previous comments. Sorry Robert for the misunderstanding (if you're reading this).

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

I guess the question is: does he think he would have achieved those superhuman powers if he had gotten pure and unadulterated Hubbard materials? Is he still a True Believer in Hubbard and just detailing in his book about how the organization and Miscavige screwed it all up?

If so, he's just delaying the completion of his waking up process.

Church of Hoaxology scripture instructs us that "Indie" Scientologists are in fact regular Scientologists using ultra-religious cloaking.

Instead of the plain religious-cloaking that COS Scientologists use.

Cynical, right? LOL

In any case, "Indies" are escaped concentration camp prisoners who voluntarily went back and turned themselves into the warden. Just to confirm all the time, place, form and event and information of what is going on inside the prison walls, for use in a later KR.

Ultra-cynical, right? LOL

CommunicatorIC

Interesting!

I think your comment is very relevant! To wit, on his website, he states:
[FONT=&quot]" For non-Scientologists entertaining scandals and sci-fi stories are the first thing to capture the eye. Beware that this is not Scientology as a subject. This is all kind of informations which mainly originates as a result of all the conflicts following the Scientology organization. The Church of Scientology as it exist today does not anymore practice the original pure Scientology technology as developed by L Ron Hubbard. It practices an altered version.

This can be verified simply by going into the bookstore in any Scientology Church and take a look at the books they sell. They are not anymore by L. Ron Hubbard, but by CSI (Church of Scientology International) or by CST (Church of Spiritual Technologies doing business as L. Ron Hubbard Library). When comparing the new editions to the originals, one will find several changes from the original writings of L Ron Hubbard, fatal and less fatal. This is also the case for the councelling procedures, training courses etc.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]These alterations has caused many branches of the subject of Scientology. So while the internet can be entertaining, be aware that a lot of the materials you will find has little to do with the original writings of L Ron Hubbard."[/FONT]
Yikes!

He doesn't want Scientology to get a bad name.

Little does he realize that his nightmarish multi-decade ordeal with the cult's fair-gaming terrorism happened because Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard ordered it to happen.

I always marveled at "indie" scientologists who celebrate Hubbard, the very same person that defrauded them and (if alive today) would do everything in his power to destroy them, drive them insane, falsely imprison them or kill they (by murder or induced suicide).

Yeah, it wasn't Scientology that was at fault, it was a bad management exec David Miscavige. LOL

Oh yeah, I didn't almost die from the poisonous soft drink, it was the fault of the bottle that held it. If not for that bottle, i could not have contained the liquid death and held it up to my lips to drink. It's the bottle, I tell ya! LOL
Very interesting. I see he joined in 1984, not long before Hubbard died on January 24, 1986 and DM took over, and left in 2004. As a result, he may have succumbed to the delusion of the Scientology Mythic Past. Having never really experienced much Scientology under Hubbard's control, he may have listened to and believed the stories that things were oh so much better under Hubbard, and it was DM that was the cause of ALL of the problems.

CommunicatorIC

Dice on Tony Ortega's blog commented:

http://tonyortega.org/2017/07/25/th...ons-about-his-legal-salvo/#comment-3435871991

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

[FONT=&amp]Type4_PTS on ESMB "I got the distinct impression that he's still very much a Scientologist and a fan of Hubbard. It's the CoS and their current management he's got a problem with"
[/FONT]

I'm pretty sure he is not. In the Docu he came to the conclusion that it was all fake and he trow out all his junk material in a compressor. He is clean!

Responding to a commentator quoting from Robert Dam's website, Dice goes on to say:

http://tonyortega.org/2017/07/25/th...ons-about-his-legal-salvo/#comment-3435883764

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Yeah.. but it's an old site and he has been trough this process. The last issues he had left he dumped after this docu series. imo! He was the first Whistle blower and that site has not been updated since RON's org was going strong

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

Very interesting. I see he joined in 1984, not long before Hubbard died on January 24, 1986 and DM took over, and left in 2004. As a result, he may have succumbed to the delusion of the Scientology Mythic Past. Having never really experienced much Scientology under Hubbard's control, he may have listened to and believed the stories that things were oh so much better under Hubbard, and it was DM that was the cause of ALL of the problems.

I edited one of my previous posts after seeing that Robert labeled the pages on that website with this at top:
Historic 2004 - my views just after defecting Church of Scientology

Clearly those pages I linked to don't represent his current views.

JustSheila

Crusader

Perhaps he no longer considers himself a Scientologist these days. I read some stuff on his website from 2004 and certainly lots can change in 13 years. But back then he wrote:
The beauty of the technology of Dianetics and Scientology

Excerpt:

What amased me when I first met Dianetics and Scientology was the amount of logic used in a field usually dominated by theoretical ideas. Hubbards approach to the human mind was entirely different from anything I had seen. He applied common sence, intelligence and plain observation. And he always used the parameter of results. The thesis could be interesting, yes, but did it work? If it did not produce a positive result then Hubbard would simply leave it. I warmly recommend books like Dianetics The Modern Science of Mental Health, Dianetics The Evolution of a Science and others. It is fasinating reading and the beauty of it all is that it gives you a technology.

A precise technology to deal with the problems of the human mind. And it works. <snip>

Full Post: http://robertdam-cos.dk/Beauty of the Tech.html

EEEyeeew! :puke2:

JustSheila

Crusader

JustSheila -- I suggest you read the entire thread. People seem to be coming to the conclusion he is no longer an Indie. There is a lot of data above.

Seems a bit more controversial than I first thought. But so much he wrote reminds me of "Ode to Hubbard." I don't think he's that out. I'm gonna personally PASS on the book. Too much sticky gooey about L Ron.

Last edited:

Terril park

Sponsor

Robert Dam is well known in the FZ. I havn't read anything from him
for quite a while, maybe years. All I read showed he liked Scn and
disliked CO$, a common view for indies. The 20 years quoted above
bring him to 2004, where he still liked Scn but defected from CO$.
What if anything has changed from this I don't know. Would help if
I read Danish.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
True or false : Both indies ( fz or WTFE they call themselves ) & mainstream scn'gists believe that old bat shit crazy hubbard is "right" ?

bullshit is bullshit no matter how much sugar is sprinkled on it.

bullshit is bullshit. Those who believe hubbard are gulping pure bullshit as soul food.

Ah, Doctor Hubbard ! :roflmao:

phenomanon

Canyon
True or false : Both indies ( fz or WTFE they call themselves ) & mainstream scn'gists believe that old bat shit crazy hubbard is "right" ?

bullshit is bullshit no matter how much sugar is sprinkled on it.

bullshit is bullshit. Those who believe hubbard are gulping pure bullshit as soul food.

Ah, Doctor Hubbard ! :roflmao:

:banghead: