New e-book by Jon Atack - Scientology: The Cult of Greed

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Tony Ortega: Jon Atack packs a lot into a new short book — ‘Scientology: The Cult of Greed’
http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/12/jo...new-short-book-scientology-the-cult-of-greed/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

What do you do if you’re Jon Atack and you’re already known for writing one of the best and most comprehensive books about the history of the Church of Scientology? Apparently, you do it again, but in digest form!

We’re pleased to announce that an 83-page, 13,000-word e-book by Jon that gives an excellent overview to L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology is now available at Amazon under the title “Scientology: The Cult of Greed.”

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Amazon: Scientology: The Cult of Greed
http://www.amazon.com/Scientology-Cult-Greed-Jon-Atack-ebook/dp/B00QVDPM62/

41IiNesoDzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Kindle Price: $5.99

Kindle Unlimited Read this title for free and get unlimited access to over 700,000 titles. Learn More

Length: 88 pages (estimated)

Due to its large file size, this book may take longer to download

Book Description

Publication Date: December 10, 2014

A hard-hitting introduction to the history and practices of the Scientology cult by a highly respected expert.

Product Details

File Size: 18647 KB

Print Length: 88 pages

Publisher: Richard Woods (December 10, 2014)

Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

Language: English

ASIN: B00QVDPM62

Text-to-Speech: Enabled

X-Ray: Not Enabled

Word Wise: Not Enabled

Lending: Not Enabled

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #58,042 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)

#18 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions, Practices & Sacred Texts > Scientology

Biography

Jon Atack was born in the cathedral city of Lichfield, in the heart of England, in 1955. He left school at 17 to play drums in various rock bands. When he was 19, he joined the Scientology cult. Although he was never a live-in member, he took many courses and 25 of the available levels of the 'Bridge' - to Operating Thetan Section V. Jon left the cult in 1983, appalled by its aggressive behaviour towards members. He refused to 'disconnect' (or shun) a close friend and was shocked to find that eleven senior members of the cult - including the leader's wife - had been sentenced to prison terms for kidnapping, breaking and entering, theft, burglary and false imprisonment, based on their own confessions.

Jon put aside his career as an artist (www.jonatack.com) to help those harmed by the cult's hypnotic practices. In 12 years, he saw over 500 former members and helped many to recover the money that had been extracted from them by Scientology's hard selling techniques. He was active on over 150 court cases and was consulted by many government organizations. Jon also gave several conference papers and his work was supported by more than 40 academics, including Professor Stephen Kent, head of sociology and history of religion at Alberta University, who said that Jon's work was beyond the standard for a doctoral thesis.

Jon was subjected to constant harassment by Scientologists. His house was picketed by placard carrying cult members. Spurious reports were made to various authorities. Rumours were spread. He was falsely accused of child abuse, attempted murder, rape and heroin addiction. Jon was followed by private investigators, one of whom tricked him out of the manuscript to his book, A Piece of Blue Sky, so that the cult could sue prior to publication.

Jon's book A Piece of Blue Sky, was published in 1990, after a court battle in New York. It became an Amazon top 100 best seller. However, because of a precedent over the letters of JD Salinger, 60 passages in the book had been paraphrased. This included some of the most important material from Jon's vast collection. In 2013, the book was reissued with all 60 passages back in place. The new edition is called Let's sell these people A Piece of Blue Sky, to distinguish it from the earlier edition, which remains in print, without the author's consent.

Jon is the author of many papers about Scientology, most of which are available on the internet. He has blogged at Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker since the Spring of 2013 - http://tonyortega.org/category/scientology-mythbusting/. His concern is for the recovery of former members, from the hypnotic enslavement of Scientology.

Jon continues to paint and play drums. He has written several novels, including Voodoo Child (slight return) and the upcoming Halcyon Daze. He has also made a character by character translation of Lao Tze's Tao Te Ching, which will be published in 2015. He lives in a charming village near Nottingham, where, as Voltaire advised, he cultivates his garden. Jon had four children and one grandchild.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Tony Ortega:

"The richly illustrated book hits all of the highlights of L. Ron Hubbard’s actual history and the controversies surrounding Dianetics and Scientology. And, since this is Jon Atack, it packs a punch. Even for a longtime Scientology watcher, this short book will have you running for the endnotes to see where Atack found such startling facts."

Sounds good. :yes:

Thank-you Jon! :clap:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
There's a great article from Jon in the Bunker this morning!

Jon Atack: Scientology’s elusive ‘Clears’ and ‘Operating Thetans’ — where have they been?

Jon Atack is the author of A Piece of Blue Sky, one of the very best books on L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. He has a new edition of the book for sale, and for more than a year on Saturdays he helped us sift through the legends, myths, and contested facts about Scientology that tend to get hashed and rehashed in books, articles, and especially on the Internet. He was kind enough to send us a new post.

Jon, we’ve wondered about the earliest group around L. Ron Hubbard when he published Dianetics, and where were the results of this research he had supposedly done before the book came out. As you point out, we thoroughly went through the book and were pretty surprised by its claims about how easily it would be to create Clears. And so we’re very excited that you’re taking a close look at that period and the claims Hubbard made for Clear and later “OT.” Take it away!

JON: I spend very little time surfing the Internet. I find that researching my pieces for the Bunker uses every moment of my spare time. I did spend a little while in Jeff Hawkins’ fascinating corner of the Bunker, last year, but I’ve finally peeked at the equally fascinating Blogging Dianetics series, with Vance Woodward, and was struck by this L. Ron Hubbard statement (as I have been several times before, in the — oh, no! — forty years since I first read it):

“You will find as you read that many things ‘you always knew were so’ are articulated here. You will be gratified to know that you held not opinions but scientific facts in many of your concepts of existence.”

About three decades ago, it was first put to me that Scientology snares people, because it is based upon the truth. This idea nagged me, because it seemed to me that Scientology is based upon telling people what they want to hear. Mixed in with a certain amount of folkloric wisdom (ie, bullshit). “What’s true for you is true,” minus the elaboration that you should check it thoroughly before accepting it. “Scientific fact” was not of much interest to Ron Hubbard, much less so scientific method.

This perhaps seems harsh, but I am not aware of these truths that Scientology is based upon. Whenever I look at the basics of Scientology, I see hyperbole and verbal deception, not testable scientific evidence. No single scientific study (save for the failure to recover an “engram” at the LA Foundation, using “pain, drug hypnosis”). However, I do know what most people want to hear, at least in western culture: We are immortal beings with the power of gods. Or should I say “powers?”

The initial promise was that 273 people had successfully achieved a permanent state of “Clear.” This was announced in 1950, in Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health. The Clear was very exactly defined, as this extract from Let’s sell these people A Piece of Blue Sky shows:

A “Clear,” according to the book, would have no compulsions, repressions, or psychosomatic ills. A “Clear” would have full control of his imagination, and a near perfect memory. With Dianetic counseling, IQ would “soar” by as much as “50 points,” and the Clear would be “phenomenally intelligent.” Dianetics would even rescue a broken marriage.

It was claimed that through Dianetics the individual would be freed of psychoses and neuroses. Among the “psychosomatic” conditions Dianetics claimed to cure were asthma, poor eyesight, color blindness, hearing deficiencies, stuttering, allergies, sinusitis, arthritis, high blood pressure, coronary trouble, dermatitis, ulcers, migraine, conjunctivitis, morning sickness, alcoholism and the common cold. Even tuberculosis would be alleviated. Dianetics would also have “a marked effect upon the extension of life.” A Clear could do a computation which a “normal would do in half an hour, in ten or fifteen seconds.”

Hubbard claimed to have examined and treated 273 people and, through this research, found the “single and sole source of aberration.” The book claimed that Dianetics was effective on anyone, who had not had “a large portion of his brain removed,” or been “born with a grossly malformed nervous structure.” Better yet, Dianetics could be practiced straight from the book with no training. Therapy would take anything from 30 to 1,200 hours, by which time the person would be Clear and thus free of all irrationality, and every psychosomatic ailment.

In the 31 years since I began interviewing former members, no one has ever claimed to be one of those 273 mysterious, and vanished, Clears (except for the occasional and untested claim of reincarnation by younger members, not one of whom offers any proof). No one who was still “in the body” among those 273 Clears ever made a public statement of any kind, as far as I can tell. And believe me, I’ve read an awful lot of material over the years, and spoken to hundreds and hundreds of former members. From the publication of Dianetics: MSMH, in 1950, to the present, not one of these people has spoken out about their experience with Hubbard. Not one of them came to his defense when the first demonstration of a Clear went so horribly wrong, at the Shrine Auditorium in 1950. The only explanation for this is that Hubbard’s statement was simply not true, and there is plenty of evidence to support this.

<snip>

Full Article: http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/31/jon-atack-3/#more-19876

Many other good posts from Jon at this site as well. Here's a list of them:

Scientology Mythbusting with Jon Atack: The Tomato Photo! (2/2/13)

Scientology Mythbusting with Jon Atack: Original Spin (2/9/13)

Scientology Mythbusting with Jon Atack: And With Help From Harlan Ellison! (2/16/13)

Scientology Mythbusting with Jon Atack: Fair Game! (2/23/13)

Scientology Mythbusting with Jon Atack: That L. Ron Hubbard TV Ad! (3/2/13)

Scientology Mythbusting with Jon Atack: Xenu the Galactic Overlord, Part 1! (3/9/13)

Xenu the The Movie Star! When Scientology Almost Revealed Its Secrets on the Big Screen (3/16/13)

Blood Brother Ron: Starting Out Life on the Wrong Blackfoot (3/23/13)

Independent Scientology: The Ballad of Captain Bill (3/30/13)

One of Scientology’s Early Celebrities: Charlie Manson! (4/6/13)

The Saga of David Mayo: Scientology’s Banished Tech Wizard (4/13/13)

African Queen: The Man L. Ron Hubbard Thought He Was (4/20/13)

Scientology’s Notorious R2-45 Policy: Is There a Smoking Gun? (4/27/13)

Jon Atack Helps Us Remember Scientology’s “Religious Freedom Crusade” (5/11/13)

Jon Atack on the Hypnotic History of Scientology Auditing (5/18/13)

Jon Atack on Scientology — “The Church of Hate” (5/25/13)

Jon Atack on Why It’s So Hard To Recover From Scientology (6/8/13)

OT Powers: Jon Atack on Scientology’s Promise to Make You Superhuman (6/15/13)

When Jon Atack Declared David Miscavige a Suppressive Person (6/29/13)

Best Account of Life in Scientology? Jon Atack Makes the Case for Counterfeit Dreams (7/6/13)

Leaving Scientology: Jon Atack Navigates the Labyrinth of Paranoia (7/13/13)

Jon Atack: A Case of Scientology Fair Game Deflected with Disinfecting Sunlight (7/27/13)

Scientology’s Crumbling: Can Gerry Armstrong Begin to Think of Crossing the Border? (8/3/13)

Jon Atack and a Special Guest Wrestle with Gerry Armstrong’s Legal Scientology Nightmare (8/10/13)

How Does Scientology’s Cosmology Really Work? Historian Jon Atack Has a Theory (8/19/13)

What Motivated L. Ron Hubbard? Historian Jon Atack Follows the Clues (8/26/13)

The History of Scientology’s Weird Vaults — The Bizarre Battlefield Earth Connection! (8/31/13)

Scientology Heresy: Jon Atack on L. Ron Hubbard’s Debt to Psychiatry (9/7/13)

FEAR: Jon Atack on Scientology’s Essential Ingredient (9/21/13)

Blood Relation, Blood Ritual: A Hubbard Family Occult Mystery (9/28/13)

Jon Atack Considers L. Ron Hubbard’s Tangled Relationship With Mind-Altering Substances (10/26/13)

Jon Atack Answers The Question: How Do Smart People Fall for Scientology? (11/2/13)

Jon Atack: Did Mary Sue Hubbard Doubt Scientology’s Key Experience? (11/16/13)

Jon Atack: Why do Scientologists Find it So Difficult to Apologize? (11/23/13)

Scientology Celebrates its Legal Defense Slush Fund, and What a Party! (11/30/13)

Jon Atack: What we have here — in Scientology — is a failure to communicate (12/14/13)

Jon Atack: For Scientologists, thinking outside the church can feel like breaking a taboo (12/21/13)

Jon Atack on Scientology’s fundamental feature: the thousand-yard stare (1/18/14)

Jon Atack: Do Scientology’s training routines turn you into a sociopath? (1/25/14)

Jon Atack takes apart the Scientology E-meter (2/1/14)

Jon Atack on Scientology’s methods of ‘thought stopping’ (2/8/14)

Jon Atack puts it to Scientologists — did L. Ron Hubbard have the qualities of a leader? (2/22/14)

Jon Atack: The harassment of independent Scientologists didn’t begin with David Miscavige (3/1/14)

Jon Atack: Why it takes so long to recover from Scientology (3/8/14)

Jon Atack: Why I call Scientology a cult and not a church (3/22/14)

Jon Atack’s final weekly column for us on Scientology, and it’s a doozy (4/5/14)

Jon Atack: The abandoned ideas that L. Ron Hubbard turned into Dianetics (7/9/14)

Jon Atack: Did L. Ron Hubbard want to be considered a god? (7/31/14)

Jon Atack: Escaping the trap Scientology sets for the mind (8/9/14)

Jon Atack: The games L. Ron Hubbard played (8/21/14)

Jon Atack: How Scientology’s methods of manipulation stay with you after you leave (8/23/14)

Jon Atack takes his presentation — ‘Scientology: The Cult of Greed’ — to Russia (9/29/14)

Jon Atack: How to talk to a Scientologist to plant the seeds of doubt (10/4/14)

Jon Atack: The question Scientologists aren’t allowed to ask each other (10/18/14)

Jon Atack: Scientology and hypnotism — even some ex-members can’t admit its central role (10/25/15)

Jon Atack: Are cult members — like those in Scientology — unduly influenced? (11/1/14)

Jon Atack: At the heart of Scientology is L. Ron Hubbard’s paralyzing use of contradiction (11/24/14)

Jon Atack excavates the Scientology mind for L. Ron Hubbard’s most harmful implants (11/29/14)

Jon Atack: How to get a convinced Scientologist on the road to recovery (12/6/14)

Jon Atack packs a lot into a new short book — ‘Scientology: The Cult of Greed’ (12/12/14)

Jon Atack looks back at his final Scientology auditing session — and how he broke free (12/20/14)

Jon Atack: What it’s like for the Scientologist who gives up the dream of being superhuman (1/3/15)