What's new

New here - need advice please

Greetings,
I have a situation, I'm not personally a Scientologist but I worked for a Scientologist owned business for many years that was run out of their home. I recently left due to poor ethics which they always said would improve but never did.
I'm trying to start my own business. I've had a couple of meetings that have been open to the public to try and bring in new clientele. At my second meeting a Scientologist walked in in the middle handing out his card for auditing. He began pushing Scientology which of course hit a nerve with me. in hindsight I wish I would not have reacted but I said some pretty negative things about scientology. I didn't mention names specifically of my bosses but there were some details. After I ended the meeting and started talking to other people about it, I figured my bosses had sent this guy to check on me. So what do you guys think ? I figured since I said some things that weren't so nice that I will probably see this guy again. Any advice on how to handle this?
Thanks

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
If they hassle/stalk/damage property/ try to intimidate you in any way at all calmly inform them (once only, and preferably in writing) that you will be contacting the Police unless it stops immediately ... and then do so if it continues.

Keep very specific notes of any harassment or suspected harrassment for the Police report (times, dates, names, damage etc) and stay very alert but do try not to become paranoid.

These days a clear warning should be enough to make any negative behaviour stop instantly. A few years ago they would have just increased it because they are a very vindictive cult at heart but in the last 10 or so years they have been thoroughly shamed and exposed for what they truly are and are forced to be very careful when they are in spiteful mode. Hubbard wrote many policies on how they are to damage people who are considered 'enemies' and they will not hesitate to use them if they think they can get away with it.

Good luck ... I hope everything works out well for you.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I would also add: be assertive.

In the ocean, a shark will bump a prospective victim, to gauge its reaction. A weak response indicates an easy victim, and the shark will then attack. In self-defense training, the term "shark bump" describes the initial interaction of the mugger with the potential victim. The mugger asks for change, or if you have a cigarette, and evaluates your response to see if you seem like a safe victim.

Scientologists are trained to exploit weakness. If they push, and you submit, they will push more. Do not appear weak or wimpy. Don't over-react, but make it clear that you will aggressively defend your space, both physical and mental.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Why would someone feel that they could do something like that? Are your clientele Scientologists? Do you think your former employers are doing this because they are afraid you are competing with them?

You may want to have a friend or several help you with these meetings until things are under control. Someone to operate a camcorder, someone to call police, a reliable witness. Scientology businesses are probably being coached by WISE and I would expect that a lot of Wise guys are former Sea Org, GO, OSA types who have backgrounds in conducting these kinds of intimidation ops. They try to push your buttons to get you to react in a way that can be used against you.

Another thought would be to have some kind of counter dead agent pack or flyer on hand for people to explain how this kind of thing is deeply entrenched in the Scientology culture. I would point to what they have done to Leah as a prime example and The Aftermath explains this. Give links to The Underground Bunker, Rinder's site and here.

If you have friends help you make sure they are grooved in on how Scientology operates and self controlled so they don't get triggered and play into their game.

phenomanon

Canyon
Why would someone feel that they could do something like that? Are your clientele Scientologists? Do you think your former employers are doing this because they are afraid you are competing with them?

You may want to have a friend or several help you with these meetings until things are under control. Someone to operate a camcorder, someone to call police, a reliable witness. Scientology businesses are probably being coached by WISE and I would expect that a lot of Wise guys are former Sea Org, GO, OSA types who have backgrounds in conducting these kinds of intimidation ops. They try to push your buttons to get you to react in a way that can be used against you.

Another thought would be to have some kind of counter dead agent pack or flyer on hand for people to explain how this kind of thing is deeply entrenched in the Scientology culture. I would point to what they have done to Leah as a prime example and The Aftermath explains this. Give links to The Underground Bunker, Rinder's site and here.

If you have friends help you make sure they are grooved in on how Scientology operates and self controlled so they don't get triggered and play into their game.
"they" used to do this at meetings in LA held by the FAIR Class Action group and by The Council of Spiritual Integrity. In the mid 80's.
They invaded small field practices and threatened field practitioners with lawsuits and eternal punishment.
They can't do that now. You have the Internet.
Your old employer is probably orchestrating this harassment. WISE is most likely involved.Expose their bad asses every time there is a blip on your screen from them.
If intimidation doesn't work against you, then maybe Infiltration will.
Beware, and be safe.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
They try to push your buttons to get you to react in a way that can be used against you.
Yes, this is important. Their ideal outcome is for you to either implode into depression, or explode (make threats, become violent, etc) in a way that allows them to take legal action against you. Either way, they feel they've won.

The key is to be calm but assertive.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
One additional point about videoing incidents: check the laws in your state about whether the consent of all parties is required before recording.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

Ask your lawyer about the specific quirks in your area. Generally, it's best to openly record, and announce "I am recording this interaction. Your continued presence in my event constitutes consent to be recorded".

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, this is important. Their ideal outcome is for you to either implode into depression, or explode (make threats, become violent, etc) in a way that allows them to take legal action against you. Either way, they feel they've won.

The key is to be calm but assertive.
There's good advice on this thread.

Be especially attentive to this