What's new

new in town....already making a mess...

WhatWouldXenuDo?

I left this mini synopsis in the "welcome to the newbies" thread....whoops!
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?5598-Welcome-to-the-newbies&p=831588#post831588

Hello all, I am a newbie, and glad to be here!

My family spent the first month of summer break in Clearwater, Florida from the time I was 5 til I graduated from high school. As the years went by, each subsequent summer Clearwater seemed to become more and more populated by Scientologists. When you would be in the tourist traps proper, you would be accosted by young people, with happy smiles and the image of wanting to save the world, and you with it. On a walk through town one day, I was approached and offered a "personality test" .... my dad was near enough to hear the young man talking to me, and before I knew what was happening he pretty much forcibly removed me from the conversation and told the man to never EVER EVER even walk on the same side of the street as me, and tell his other disciples the same.
Color me bewildered and confused at the time, but now I can't thank him enough. I was exactly the kind of candidate Scientology would be thrilled to indoctrinate.
That summer my dad absolutely forbid the topic of scientology and we sure didnt walk the town much.
As I got older, my dad was honest about his fear of scientology and back then he said "CULT".... So I count myself lucky.
Cut to years later, my very best friend-my soul sister got wrapped up in a cult situation, nothing nearly as organized--more like a Manson Family--I haven't seen her in five years.
Sorry, this is a bit discombobulated, I swear I usually more coherent!

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome to ESMB. I'd love to hear more from your viewpoint of Scientology. I think most people in Clearwater hate Scientology unless they were one already when they went there.

Bad news about your friend. I am starting to see more and more that Scientology is a cult and follows the cult pattern. Absolutely nothing special about it.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I left this mini synopsis in the "welcome to the newbies" thread....whoops!
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?5598-Welcome-to-the-newbies&p=831588#post831588

Hello all, I am a newbie, and glad to be here!

My family spent the first month of summer break in Clearwater, Florida from the time I was 5 til I graduated from high school. As the years went by, each subsequent summer Clearwater seemed to become more and more populated by Scientologists. When you would be in the tourist traps proper, you would be accosted by young people, with happy smiles and the image of wanting to save the world, and you with it. On a walk through town one day, I was approached and offered a "personality test" .... my dad was near enough to hear the young man talking to me, and before I knew what was happening he pretty much forcibly removed me from the conversation and told the man to never EVER EVER even walk on the same side of the street as me, and tell his other disciples the same.
Color me bewildered and confused at the time, but now I can't thank him enough. I was exactly the kind of candidate Scientology would be thrilled to indoctrinate.
That summer my dad absolutely forbid the topic of scientology and we sure didnt walk the town much.
As I got older, my dad was honest about his fear of scientology and back then he said "CULT".... So I count myself lucky.
Cut to years later, my very best friend-my soul sister got wrapped up in a cult situation, nothing nearly as organized--more like a Manson Family--I haven't seen her in five years.
Sorry, this is a bit discombobulated, I swear I usually more coherent!

:welcome:

It sounds as if you had a lucky escape, I'm sorry to hear about your friend though.

Welcome to ESMB.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
Every May I participate in a Top Producers Conference for a financial firm in Las Vegas. There is a nice couple from Clearwater that attend every year. Upon learning that they were from there I of course had to ask what they thought of the scios taking over Clearwater. The wife's eye-roll and look of disgust said it all. I didn't want to get into it much since I was a working professional for the firm but she had a lot to say about the the scios tarnishing Clearwater. Needless to say I was all ears and lapped it all up! She really made it "clear" that she despises their presence in her home town.

Last edited:

Adam7986

Declared SP
Sorry about your friend. you are fortunate to have cautious parents. My parents dragged me into Scientology when I was 5.