What's new

New June 2016 Laws in Russia Bad for the Cult

Jump

Operating teatime
Where you said "separation of powers" I think that you really meant "separation of church and state".
(Another item on this subject is the Magna Carta when most citizens were not literate.)

I thought the doctrine of the separation of powers were where the church, state and judiciary were to remain separate.

Maybe I should read up.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
So my summary is that Russia has been at war with combination religious/political groups (mainly the Moslems/Tatars) for centuries and considers itself at war now, so is reinstating its own version of 'martial law.' This is serious stuff. The Church of Scientology, being so blatantly disrespectful of its subservient role as well as its obligation to loyalty to Russia financially and otherwise, plus its blatant attempts to record and hold confidential personal citizen records has set it up as an enemy to Russia. Footbullet, much? :footbullet:

So IMO, Russia sees COS as traitorous in intentions, actions and deeds and first wants to knock it out of the way like some undesirable hornets nest so it can get onto the much more serious job at hand of taking on its long-term enemy. Historically, a church is either 100% with Russia or against her, and it appears there will no longer be any middle ground. Russian martial law has begun.

Given the historical level of social paranoia in Russia, the idea of Russians having their primary loyalty being given to some outside entity (Scn), with a history of conducting covert intelligence ops against their host government (Operation Snow White, etc) is intolerable. Especially to a former KGB exec like Putin.

RogerB

Crusader
I think before the US constitution, the idea of separation of powers had never existed, so the state and religion were always intertwined.

In Russia, the Tzar was said to be appointed by God like all royalty, so there really never was a separation.

Ditto, rather as is the Monarch in England the head of the Church of England . . .

Actually, if you guys Google or do a wiki on Kievan Rus . . . you'll see how far back the link between the ruler of "Russia" and its church goes.

Note this excerpt from the online Encyclopedia Britannica:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Kievan-Rus

One development of enormous importance during Vladimir’s reign was his acceptance of the Orthodox Christian faith in 988. The conversion was born of a pact with Byzantine EmperorBasil II, who promised his sister’s hand in marriage in exchange for military aid and the adoption of Christianity by the Kievan state. After traditional religious practices were suppressed in Kiev and Novgorod, the Byzantine rite was propagated throughout Vladimir’s domain. Although the religion came from Constantinople, the service was in the vernacular, as the Bible had been translated into Old Church Slavonic by the missionaries Saints Cyril and Methodius in the 9th century.

PS: . . . seeing some comments just now about "Russia's" warring on other religions than its own . . . heh . . . historically, it responded to attacks upon it by "nations" or groups who coincidentally practice a religion other than its own.

Indeed, surprise, surprise, Alexander II (who was assassinated in 1881) and his son Alexander III (whose wife scolded him for not being hard enough on the associates of and plotters with the assassins) both provided funding and resources to Jewish schools within the realm.

There had long been groups and tribes within Imperial Russia faithful to different religions than that of the Russian Orthodox Church, and those members of the nation lived in peace.

It was not until the idiot Bolsheviks and "Uncle Joe" came on the scene that any religious persecution occurred.

I do recommend the book "Struggle for World Power," by George Knupffer . . . you'll get the real deal info there.

It happens that the "Cherch" of Scientology is not seen as a religion in Russia, and in keeping with other nations, it correctly sees it as a fraudulent money-making enterprise breaking the laws of the nation . . . .

What's not to like about the Russian action against Hubbard's con?
/

Last edited: