What's new

New Scientology Mark Uvlta VIII E-Meters defective or have obvious corrosion?

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
New Scientology Mark Ultra VIII E-Meters defective or have obvious corrosion?

From Scientology Celebrities and Human Rights:

http://scientologycelebrity.wordpre...e-ass-infected-scilons-with-spiritual-herpes/

Excerpt:
On top of all that crap, what a fucking night – many staff got pulled a few hours ago to help Gold tech staff test reads & other bullshit with the 16 or so “new” meters that got sold so far but are on the fritz and were returned by some pretty fucking fed up publics. Even the demonstration meters in the lobby & Bookstore had some issues which cost the slimy fat ass porkbellied regges a few hefty sales. Shouldn’t surprise anyone that up until the very last minute they were pushing publics & staff to buy the 1996 Quantums even though the regges & Bookstore officers already knew about the announcement of the new meters but which hadn’t been disclosed to publics yet. Up to the very last minute! These fucking garbage meters are so cheap and seems like they didn’t properly inspect a lot of them because when opened up some of them have obvious corrosion – we’re not geeks so we have no idea if that crap can be fixed or if the insides need to be completely replaced or what the fuck ever. Lame ass, really lame and oh so not OT. Woo x 2.
Any validity to this? Any other reports of this?

Last edited:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
New Scientology Mark Ultra VIII E-Meters defective or have obvious corrosion?

From Scientology Celebrities and Human Rights:

http://scientologycelebrity.wordpre...e-ass-infected-scilons-with-spiritual-herpes/

Excerpt: Any validity to this? Any other reports of this?

9 years in a storage warehouse would be enough for me....but the Scientologist's "don't know" that! :whistling: Don't think this a mistake....DM cleverly planned this. After people buy 2 corroded E-Meters for $11,500 including tax (WTF?) they will be command intentioned in to purchasing new ones again...you guessed it folks - an SP had sprayed a mist of water over the meters before they were boxed up (he is now declared) and THAT is why they are defective....the SP was found to have been hired by THE PSYCHS! LOL Now that the fraud raising for Super Power has been knocked to its knees (thank you Luis Garcia) DM needs another avenue and this is it!! You can't expect the Church of Scientology to give refunds for these defective meters and all 9,000 have to be sold before they can manufacture any more......so strap on your boots Scientologist's and get prepared for another ride inside the wacky world of Scientology! NO REFUNDS....it is a suppressive act and a high crime to even consider the Church to refund your money or exchange the meters for new ones....take responsibility for the SP's everyone....it is the SOP in Scientology!!

pollywog

Patron with Honors
"Defective" for who? For the buyer, well, natch. For the seller? At something like $5k a pop, I'd say that's pretty "effective."

BTW, anybody know where I can get a refund on a Pet Rock? That fucking thing is TOTALLY defective.

David C Gibbons

Ex-Scientology Peon
The lab I work in performs testing of electronic devices under many different conditions, and corrosion-related problems are one of the things we look for. Humidity testing can tease out problems of contamination of circuit boards, poor plating of metal items, or problems of corrosion caused by dissimilar metals being in contact in humid environments. The storage conditions over long periods of time can cause trouble in any of these areas. Outgassing of materials after manufacture can also be a factor, but is less likely as a cause of serious corrosion. Corrosive atmospheres can also cause trouble, but it is not likely that the meters were exposed to such conditions.

You may notice small desiccant packages in sealed shipping containers for expensive electronic devices, just to forestall these sort of problems. They are not a cure-all, but they can help for short periods of time.

What happened to the e-meters? Give me 5-10 samples, and our failure analysis lab would be able to home in on what went wrong in detail. Of course, if you want the broad-stroke answer right away, the problem is Scientology.

Ignorance of the way things work, and a prioritizing of 'intention' over true understanding lead to many disappointing results when organized Scientology tries to deal with the physical universe. When I served in the 'Estates Org' at the Cedars Complex (AO, ASHO, LA Org, Etc.) in LA in the late 1970's, we Sea Org 'snipes' would look at each other and say "If this place was a ship, it would be sunk". I'm not surprised at all that the e-meters turned out to be defective. So much of what Scientology creates is.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Re: New Scientology Mark Ultra VIII E-Meters defective or have obvious corrosion?

Why, if this is factual, am I so not surprised? From David Miscavige's claim to have spent over 20million dollars to develop the Mark VIII (laugh my frikken ass off, only the truly gullible would buy into that doozie), to having that junk sitting in storage for almost a decade, of course they turn out defective.....
The whole cult is defective and corroded imho.
Bwahahahahahahahaha & ha!

Gib

Crusader
The lab I work in performs testing of electronic devices under many different conditions,
and corrosion-related problems
are one of the things we look for. Humidity testing can tease out problems of contamination of circuit boards, poor plating of metal items, or problems of corrosion caused by dissimilar metals being in contact in humid environments. The storage conditions over long periods of time can cause trouble in any of these areas. Outgassing of materials after manufacture can also be a factor, but is less likely as a cause of serious corrosion. Corrosive atmospheres can also cause trouble, but it is not likely that the meters were exposed to such conditions.

You may notice small desiccant packages in sealed shipping containers for expensive electronic devices, just to forestall these sort of problems. They are not a cure-all, but they can help for short periods of time.

What happened to the e-meters? Give me 5-10 samples, and our failure analysis lab would be able to home in on what went wrong in detail. Of course, if you want the broad-stroke answer right away, the problem is Scientology.

Ignorance of the way things work, and a prioritizing of 'intention' over true understanding lead to many disappointing results when organized Scientology tries to deal with the physical universe. When I served in the 'Estates Org' at the Cedars Complex (AO, ASHO, LA Org, Etc.) in LA in the late 1970's, we Sea Org 'snipes' would look at each other and say "If this place was a ship, it would be sunk". I'm not surprised at all that the e-meters turned out to be defective. So much of what Scientology creates is.

I doubt it's corrosion of the circuit boards, solder joints, etc, but could be. It could be leaking batteries since in storage for 9 years.

Here are pictures of my Mark Super VII e-meter. Click on the attached images. You can see the batteries leaking the white stuff. The one picture of a component is made by Electroswitch stamped "205 8814". The "205" is the EIA manufacturer code, the "8814" denotes the switch was made in 1988, 14th week. My meter was purchased in 1989, so the switch in it is from 1988 which is about right.

Now, theses new e-meters will have the switches in them and other components dated stamped as well. Thus, one can verify they were made 9 years ago which would be a better test to see how long ago they made and subsequently stored.

Attachments

• meter1.jpg
    meter1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 63
  • meter2.jpg
    meter2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 54
  • meter3.jpg
    meter3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 57

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
These e-meters are old, right? I mean, they've been sitting around for years, prior to sale?

Solder went lead-free in Europe in mid 2006. You're simply not allowed to sell old-style solder anymore, except in military hardware and medical devices. (Proper medical devices, not cult paraphernalia.)

So... when were these meters made?

Early lead-free solders were plagued by production and reliability problems. Late lead-bearing products could face all kinds of import and/or export bans.

Wouldn't it be fun if Midget Davey had an even harder time shifting his bogus magic moonbeam meters?

Just a thought.

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
I doubt it's corrosion of the circuit boards, solder joints, etc, but could be. It could be leaking batteries since in storage for 9 years.

Here are pictures of my Mark Super VII e-meter. Click on the attached images. You can see the batteries leaking the white stuff. The one picture of a component is made by Electroswitch stamped "205 8814". The "205" is the EIA manufacturer code, the "8814" denotes the switch was made in 1988, 14th week. My meter was purchased in 1989, so the switch in it is from 1988 which is about right.

Now, theses new e-meters will have the switches in them and other components dated stamped as well. Thus, one can verify they were made 9 years ago which would be a better test to see how long ago they made and subsequently stored.

These are NiCd-accus. You can be sure, that with time they will be broken (like yours). The problem is, that this "white stuff" is very agressive and will damage every electronic board down to the tracks. They will be "etched" away.

If you have any older electronic equipment (computers, music instruments etc.) with a "backup-battery"you should have a technician look inside and remove the accumulator from the pcb into a seperate plastic bag or box to avoid any damage of your electronics. You can be sure that EVERY NiCd-accu will look like this, no matter of the manufacturer.

Hopefully these accus have already been removed from the e-meter and the surrounding area carefully cleaned.

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
These are NiCd-akkus. You can be sure, that with time they will be broken (like yours). The problem is, that this "white stuff" is very agressive and will damage every electronic board (music instruments, computers etc.) down to the tracks. They will be "etched" away.

If you have any older electronic equipment (computers, music instruments etc.) with a "backup-battery"you should have a technician look inside and remove the accumulator from the pcb in a plastic bag or box.

Here are pictures of my Mark Super Quantum e-meter.

The meter was certed in 2011 and the battery pack was replaced back then. You can see some "green" in the ends of the individual batteries.

The Electroswitch is stamped "205 0450" meaning made in 2004, 50th week.

Also of note is the addition of the cables being run around the ferrite coils for the purpose of reducing high frequency noise in electronic circuits. These were not in earlier Mark VII e-meters, see my last post with pictures of the Mark VII meter. The significant of this is that using the older e-meters could pick-up electrical high frequency noise resulting in bad e-meter reads. LOL

Attachments

• mt1.jpg
    mt1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 42
  • mt2.jpg
    mt2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 45
  • mt3.jpg
    mt3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 41
  • mt4.jpg
    mt4.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 40

Gib

Crusader
My Mk5 is really bad about picking up RF interference.

There you go. Who knows how many e-meter reads were actually because of electrical interference back in the day like the 1950 to present time that were reads of electrical interference. Science it is ------> :roflmao:

Here are pictures of my Mark V e-meter, just for shits & giggles.

Attachments

• ma1.jpg
    ma1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 32
  • ma2.jpg
    ma2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 41
  • ma3.jpg
    ma3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 48

kate8024

-deleted-
Who knows how many e-meter reads were actually because of electrical interference back in the day like the 1950 to present time that were reads of electrical interference

Indeed. I'm actually surprised to hear that the Mk7 Quantum ones have some protection, I always thought that meter reads for no obvious reason was supposed to be a hidden feature lol

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
These e-meters are old, right? I mean, they've been sitting around for years, prior to sale?

Solder went lead-free in Europe in mid 2006. You're simply not allowed to sell old-style solder anymore, except in military hardware and medical devices. (Proper medical devices, not cult paraphernalia.)

So... when were these meters made?

Early lead-free solders were plagued by production and reliability problems. Late lead-bearing products could face all kinds of import and/or export bans.

Wouldn't it be fun if Midget Davey had an even harder time shifting his bogus magic moonbeam meters?

Just a thought.
According to Mike Rinder the Mark Ultra VIII E-meters were manufactured in 2004:
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/mark-viii-ultra-e-meter-9-years-in-storage/

Do you think it may be the case that the Mark Ultra VIII E-meters cannot be legally imported or sold in Europe because they contain lead solder?

Gib

Crusader
According to Mike Rinder the Mark Ultra VIII E-meters were manufactured in 2004:

Do you think it may be the case that the Mark Ultra VIII E-meters cannot be legally imported or sold in Europe because they contain lead solder?

NO!

The only way to verify the date of the actual meters is to look at the EIA date codes stamped on the individual components in the e-meter, see my above posts.

kate8024

-deleted-
CommunicatorIC;890856 Do you think it may be the case that the Mark Ultra VIII E-meters cannot be legally imported or sold in Europe because they contain lead solder? [/QUOTE said:
Considering the very low quantity of e-meters sold compared to a typical consumer electronics device I doubt anyone in the EU would go through the trouble of testing the solder for lead anyway...

Gib

Crusader

Here is some info on EIA date codes that apply equally to ALL electronics made anywhere on the planet:

• "On American made vintage guitars and gear, the pots and speakers provide an excellent opportunity to date a piece of equipment by referencing their "source-date code".The source-date code found on pots and speakers gives the manufacturer and date (roughly) when the components were made. It may have been some time before the part was installed at the factory, but it still provides a good approximation of when the gear was made. This is especially helpful on (less popular) gear that doesn`t have reliable serial#`s or other information to date them."

http://www.gregsguitars.net/Vintage_Guitar_Codes.html