Los Angeles, CA
6:00 p.m.
Doors open at 5:30 p.m.

122709event.jpg

WWP Thread: New Year's Event - Sunday, 12/27/09 at Shrine Auditorium

/

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Now I know what I'm doing for New Years. NOT!

Besides, you can't celebrate New Years days before New Years. It's just wrong. LOL!!!

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Does anyone know for sure if this is the actual live event, or is this the recorded one? If this is the live one, does anyone know when the rest of the orgs have their NY event?

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Now I know what I'm doing for New Years. NOT!

Besides, you can't celebrate New Years days before New Years. It's just wrong. LOL!!!

That's exactly what i was thinking. It's not like a birthday where you can celebrate it a week early. If you'r timing is off you're off. How silly.:D

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's exactly what i was thinking. It's not like a birthday where you can celebrate it a week early. If you'r timing is off you're off. How silly.:D

Birthdays are to be celebrated for seven (7) days. And the last day of celebration is on the actual day.

The one thing my father and I had in common and agreed upon. LOL!!!

New Years is 12/31 at 11:59:59 or 1/1 12:00:00. That's it. It's a very small window.

nowout

Patron with Honors
Does anyone know for sure if this is the actual live event, or is this the recorded one? If this is the live one, does anyone know when the rest of the orgs have their NY event?

This is the actual event. It early enough so that it is recorded, edited and made into DVDs for each of the orgs to have their NY event.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is the actual event. It early enough so that it is recorded, edited and made into DVDs for each of the orgs to have their NY event.

That's great. Now we need to know when the rest of the orgs are having their pre-recorded NY reg event. Anybody who's been in recently, can you tell us if NY eve is still celebrated on NY eve in Scinoland?

Sydney is of particular interest to me, but Anons worldwide would like to know. No particular reason. :D

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
That's great. Now we need to know when the rest of the orgs are having their pre-recorded NY reg event. Anybody who's been in recently, can you tell us if NY eve is still celebrated on NY eve in Scinoland?

Sydney is of particular interest to me, but Anons worldwide would like to know. No particular reason. :D

Hi Kookaburra!

Last years NY event was held on NY eve in Sydney, as far as I know, I wasn't here at the time but I had friends that went to ALL events religiously (excuse the pun). Funny thing is, before I joined staff I hardly ever went to events, I found them as boring as all f--- and always fell asleep. Anyway the NY event is usually an early start so that public still get time to do the fireworks thing on the harbour with their family.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Kookaburra!

Last years NY event was held on NY eve in Sydney, as far as I know, I wasn't here at the time but I had friends that went to ALL events religiously (excuse the pun). Funny thing is, before I joined staff I hardly ever went to events, I found them as boring as all f--- and always fell asleep. Anyway the NY event is usually an early start so that public still get time to do the fireworks thing on the harbour with their family.

Great! Do they have it at the event space in the AOSH?

Nice to know they only have 4 days to shoop in several thousand people and edit out all DM's stuff ups AND get it out to all orgs. There's bound to be some delicious mistakes in there.

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
Great! Do they have it at the event space in the AOSH?

Nice to know they only have 4 days to shoop in several thousand people and edit out all DM's stuff ups AND get it out to all orgs. There's bound to be some delicious mistakes in there.

It's been at the AO the last few times, turn out isn't huge as most people are out of town or already have commitments. I mean really, who wants to spend NY eve at an event. :sleepy:

ml99

Patron
Scientology had it's New Year Event at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on 27 December 2009. Concerned about the continued abuse of street and sidewalk closure permits I arrived shortly after noon to see they had a public sidewalk blocked. The sidewalk permit did not allow them to place items on sidewalk until 3pm nor does the permit allow them to close a sidewalk to the general public.

As I walked down Royal Street to photograph how they blocked the sidewalk, Scientology's Jason True, a Sea Org member and the member of PAC security followed me and stepped in front of me to block my movement. He accused me of assault and said he was calling the police.

img2733ny.jpg

Royal Street

img2724f.jpg

Jason True called the police.

img2728x.jpg

Sidewalk blocked at 12:15

img2729r.jpg

Sidewalk blocked at 12:15

img2730i.jpg

Sidewalk blocked at 12:15 from Jefferson Blvd.

img2731he.jpg

Sidewalk blocked at 12:15 from Jefferson Blvd.

img2742f.jpg

OSA's Kristen Caetano, Jason True and another PAC Security Sea Org member complain to the LAPD.

The LAPD officer told me that they were taking no action, that there was not crime committed and they recognized the Jason True had tried to provoke me.

Shortly after 4PM, I and another person held signs on 32nd Street opposing the Scientology's policy of Disconnection that breaks up families.

We received many signs of support.

img2759n.jpg

Several men gave us the thumbs up and shouted, "We believe in Jesus. We are just working here tonight."

img2760.jpg

A special overtime detail of the LAPD arrived. OSA's Wayne Carnahan from PAC spoke to officers about their event.

img2762l.jpg

Scientologists block the sidewalk on 32nd Street

img2765l.jpg

As people gathered before on Royal Street before the event, 2 more protesters joined us.

I asked a Sergeant from the LAPD special detail what would happen if I or the other protesters were to walk on the south sidewalk of 32nd Street and he replied, "You would be arrested".

Buses arrived to drop of Sea Org member and public members. One bus unloaded passengers exactly where the protesters were standing. The bus drive got out of the bus and gave us a thumbs-up sign. Scientologists working the event ran over and tried to stop the passengers from getting off the bus. After half the passengers were off, the event staff member ordered the remaining passengers to stay on the bus and for the bus to turn around and unload the passengers on the other side of the street.

The other protesters and I went over to Jefferson Blvd.

img2772u.jpg

Scientologists blocking the north side Jefferson Blvd's public sidewalk.

On the Jefferson Boulevard sidewalk at Royal Street, people going to the event walked from a USC parking garage and waited for to cross the street. Tim Armer and Patty Baber, members of Scientology's OT Committee came over both with several helium balloons. As I walked down the sidewalk, Tim got in front of me very close and Patty behind walked behind me. Tim tried slowed down and stopped to block my ability to walk on a public sidewalk.

I went back to the intersection and summoned the police across the street. A detective on the special detail told me he saw what they did that they would be getting telephone call very soon. Just them Tim Armer's cell phone rang. I told the detective we were trying to avoid problems and thanked him for his help.

There were 5 protesters at this point. One protester, a former Sea Org member who had been posted at INT, said he liked being able to talk with people going to the event about his experiences with David Miscaviage.

After 7PM the event attendees were in the Shrine.

img2792m.jpg

Buses that shuttled public Scientologists from PAC wait outside the Exhibition Hall.

Thanks go to everyone who showed up to protest.

I wish everyone a happy new year!

Zhent

Leakus Maximus
Buses arrived to drop of Sea Org member and public members. One bus unloaded passengers exactly where the protesters were standing. The bus drive got out of the bus and gave us a thumbs-up sign. Scientologists working the event ran over and tried to stop the passengers from getting off the bus. After half the passengers were off, the event staff member ordered the remaining passengers to stay on the bus and for the bus to turn around and unload the passengers on the other side of the street.

Priceless!

Well done and thanks for the report.

FoTi

Crusader
Thanks for the report and for protesting.

I wonder how many public actually showed up for the event this year.

Gadfly

Crusader
Events - Blah!

Within the first year of involvement with Scientology, I had no interest in attending events. To me, I saw them as nothing much more than huge PR deals, often with extreme exaggerations, misrepresentations and lies. I early on wondered WHY this outfit, based on a technology that I had gotten such wonderful gains from, could at the same time behave like such morons and jerks.

I just wouldn't go to most events. It annoyed me how each upcoming event was promoted by staff as "going to be the best", "the most amazing", "unfolding the biggest wins ever" and on and on. I simply thought, "this is so stupid". "Do Church members really believe this endless PR nonsense?"

Apparently so!!!!! :duh:

I also saw how staff would keep confirmation lists, verify whether the people showed up or not, and then went after those who didn't shows up ("false reported") with ethics actions! Scary shit! It always involved way too much "control" for me.

I had my own sneaky ways of even getting out of going to events when I was in the Sea Org! :yes:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Does anybody know what this year's earth-shatteringly-special announcement/release/whatever was? Yet another tape package?