What's new

New Zealand hit by quake and tsunami

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

Thinking of you Glenda ... and hoping things have started to settle down for you and all around you.

You are being very brave and stoic, I don't know that I would cope as well as you.

:heartflower::heartflower::heartflower::heartflower::heartflower:

Glenda

Crusader
I keep intermittently crying. I am angry. I am confused.

Mountains have shifted. Literally. The seabed has shifted. Literally. There's a building in Wellington on the brink of collapse. It all feels so unsafe. So surreal. Even though I am not close to these events, these are my people, my homeland.

It's not shaking where I am. There are tiny tremors, but mostly I'm not feeling them. Sometimes the curtains move a little or the light swings a little. I check if the windows are open and if it is just the breeze making stuff move.

I was with a friend yesterday. She feels the same way. Unsafe, insecure. We sat in the car, sipping our weekly "treat" posh coffees, talking about it. That helped.

I wonder why we all live here. It is home I guess. But I have had serious thoughts these past couple of days of finding a place where the earth doesn't move.

You know how people bitch and are complicated with each other? It doesn't mean a fucking thing. And you know how people play head games and shift goal-posts? Doesn't mean a damn thing. Sitting on a hill in the middle of the night, hoping like fuck a huge wave didn't bash into my little part of the world, I thought about a lot of things. Thankfully no big wave barreled into my little corner of the world. But those of us sitting on that hill, glued to our electronic devices, hungry for information, were all deep in deep thoughts.

As my friend in the car said yesterday, "we gotta just try to keep busy." She's right. Too much thinking about the enormity of what has happened, and the big consequences created, is not healthy.

My t-shirt drawer is a complete mess. I'm going to go and tidy it up. And I have a whole bunch of craft stuff that is kind of messy too. Time to sort that out.

Leland

Crusader
Hi Glenda,

I'm curious....I know the earthquake hit at night....

But have to ask....did you see any animals exhibit any unusual behavior, prior to the quake? You know, people say that....that animals can pick up on something like that happening before it happens...

Just thought I'd ask.

From the pictures we are seeing here in the States...that was one strong earthquake! I've been through many in LA....and for some reason, they didn't bother me much. But then again....I never had a building fall on my head....or see the ground drop and crack open either....

Glenda

Crusader
Hi Glenda,

I'm curious....I know the earthquake hit at night....

But have to ask....did you see any animals exhibit any unusual behavior, prior to the quake? You know, people say that....that animals can pick up on something like that happening before it happens...

Just thought I'd ask.

From the pictures we are seeing here in the States...that was one strong earthquake! I've been through many in LA....and for some reason, they didn't bother me much. But then again....I never had a building fall on my head....or see the ground drop and crack open either....

No I didn't see any unusual behaviour from animals prior to this quake hitting due to it happening just after midnight (12:02 a.m.). However in the past I have seen animals behaving differently just prior to a quake hitting e.g. my old mate Fummy the cat.

I put this down to their sensitivity to shifting energy beneath their little feet. There is massive energy moving during an earthquake and no doubt there are small releases of that energy which animals are possibly able to detect. I really don't know though, just my thoughts.

On earthquakes not affecting people...

It's not the reality of what is happening that causes the reaction. It is the traumatising reality that things are way out of your control and that you could die if things escalate. In the middle of a big quake there is this sense of "fuck what if this gets bigger..." The more you know about seismic activity the more you are aware of when the earth moves. Even our scientists here admit to being "shit scared" during big quakes. You tend to stop being all bravado about it and face that it is potentially a life-threatening situation.

People joke about earthquakes. Gush all bravado. Kind of annoys me because those are the people that the rescuers have to dig out if a big one hits. These are the people that don't know what to do in an earthquake, that then panic when it goes pear-shaped, etc. No one, no matter how scientific they may be, or woo-woo with their "moon theories", can predict earthquakes within any workable protective levels. Fact of life. War can be predicted. Approaching weather chaos can be seen via satellite but earthquakes are in a league of their own. Unpredictable.

Having said that there is a lot of collated scientific data which scientists now work with. Mostly after a big quake. Here in NZ they release "probability" info which tells us what to expect for the next week, and the months ahead. This is not exact stuff. It is based on previous patterns of how seismic activity "behaves".

JustSheila

Crusader
I keep intermittently crying. I am angry. I am confused.

Mountains have shifted. Literally. The seabed has shifted. Literally. There's a building in Wellington on the brink of collapse. It all feels so unsafe. So surreal. Even though I am not close to these events, these are my people, my homeland.

It's not shaking where I am. There are tiny tremors, but mostly I'm not feeling them. Sometimes the curtains move a little or the light swings a little. I check if the windows are open and if it is just the breeze making stuff move.

I was with a friend yesterday. She feels the same way. Unsafe, insecure. We sat in the car, sipping our weekly "treat" posh coffees, talking about it. That helped.

I wonder why we all live here. It is home I guess. But I have had serious thoughts these past couple of days of finding a place where the earth doesn't move.

You know how people bitch and are complicated with each other? It doesn't mean a fucking thing. And you know how people play head games and shift goal-posts? Doesn't mean a damn thing. Sitting on a hill in the middle of the night, hoping like fuck a huge wave didn't bash into my little part of the world, I thought about a lot of things. Thankfully no big wave barreled into my little corner of the world. But those of us sitting on that hill, glued to our electronic devices, hungry for information, were all deep in deep thoughts.

As my friend in the car said yesterday, "we gotta just try to keep busy." She's right. Too much thinking about the enormity of what has happened, and the big consequences created, is not healthy.

My t-shirt drawer is a complete mess. I'm going to go and tidy it up. And I have a whole bunch of craft stuff that is kind of messy too. Time to sort that out.

Aw, Glenda. :bigcry:

I get it.

The T-shirt drawer is a good idea. And a good time to get to detailed things, like window crevices that need an old toothbrush, or light fixtures that need soaking and stuff like that.

At least the moon isn't going anywhere. In fact, did you know it was brighter last night than in 70 years? This is also as close as it gets to the earth all year long. http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-2016-supermoon-20161111-story.html

You said you had a cat, if I remember right. It's time for kitty to show YOU what to do. Dogs and cats not only predict earthquakes fairly well, they get over them pretty well, too. She/he's your buddy and has perceptions in ways that you don't. So watch the animals. If they show things are okay then by golly, they are.

And anyway, other places have droughts and other problems. NZ is one of the most fantastic places in the world.

I promise, Glenda, everything will be okay. Breathe. Just breathe.

Here's a FAVORITE You-tube vid I listen to when I'm taking a luxury bath with candles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv5t8NDczB0

JustSheila

Crusader
Your post before mine didn't post before I wrote mine, so I missed the part about animals.

Me, I'd have my pet in the bed with me and at my side for a long while.

Leland

Crusader
Glenda and Shelia, originally I did ask about Fummy, but then remembered that Fummy had passed. So changed my post to "animals." Sorry Glenda.

Yes...I was in quakes in LA...that got to that point. The point of realizing...what if it doesn't stop?

For quite some time I lived in an old wooden 4 story building in LA....and these were known to survive the quakes...because they could sway and move a bit. They were not rigid.

But there was a time or two....that I wondered if that swaying would stop.

Certainly if it didn't....sooner or later...it would have started to come apart. After the last big one in LA, the "Northridge" quake I believe....all those older buildings, like the one I lived in did have to go thru earthquake proofing retro-fitting. This was basically a more robust attachment of the first floor to the foundation...and attaching the walls of the building to the floors with steel.

Leland

Crusader
Another think that does scares me about earthquakes is called Liquification.

That is when "sand" or soil, i guess...becomes that is saturated with water....and basically turns liquid with the quakes vibrations.......and can't support any structure built upon it.

We are seeing some photos here in the States of the NZ quake....and that on of the green pasture area...with the cows....sure looks like it could be some type of liquification....

But I think this might be more related to Coastal area...and sand and beaches.

Glenda

Crusader
Another think that does scares me about earthquakes is called Liquification.

That is when "sand" or soil, i guess...becomes that is saturated with water....and basically turns liquid with the quakes vibrations.......and can't support any structure built upon it.

We are seeing some photos here in the States of the NZ quake....and that on of the green pasture area...with the cows....sure looks like it could be some type of liquification....

But I think this might be more related to Coastal area...and sand and beaches.

There is some liquification happening in region where this quake hit. With all the aftershocks still going on, the landscape is still "under fire". To date there has been over 1500 aftershocks, most either slight or moderate, with a few strong and a couple of severe.

The Geo science folk up-graded the quake to a 7.8 (from 7.5) late this afternoon after analysing a lot of data.

Glenda

Crusader
Aw, Glenda. :bigcry:

I get it.

The T-shirt drawer is a good idea. And a good time to get to detailed things, like window crevices that need an old toothbrush, or light fixtures that need soaking and stuff like that.

At least the moon isn't going anywhere. In fact, did you know it was brighter last night than in 70 years? This is also as close as it gets to the earth all year long. http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-2016-supermoon-20161111-story.html

You said you had a cat, if I remember right. It's time for kitty to show YOU what to do. Dogs and cats not only predict earthquakes fairly well, they get over them pretty well, too. She/he's your buddy and has perceptions in ways that you don't. So watch the animals. If they show things are okay then by golly, they are.

And anyway, other places have droughts and other problems. NZ is one of the most fantastic places in the world.

I promise, Glenda, everything will be okay. Breathe. Just breathe.

Here's a FAVORITE You-tube vid I listen to when I'm taking a luxury bath with candles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv5t8NDczB0

Thanks heaps for the above vid. I'm going to have a bath (with relaxing stuff in it) tonight and listen to this, then go to bed early.

My cat Fummy died a couple of years ago. I haven't got another cat because I'm too scared to love like that again. I realise that probably sounds pathetic but there you have it.

I was with a Ministry of Ed appointed person this afternoon who ensures policy is implemented re: safety, etc. We were talking about things. It helped. I'm not the only one who is feeling vulnerable. Cold comfort - but comforting nonetheless.

Enough. I'm going to go fold all my linen neatly. Some of it needs freshening up so I will wash it. I might get rid of some of it. I have no idea why some of the stuff in my life is in my life. After that I think I will alphabeticalise (sp?) all my books - categories first, then alphabetical. I might cull a few. I don't need all these books. Then I think I will start researching monastic life options. Even that feels problematic - I don't subscribe to beliefs and rules easily. Not after that other shitty spiritual experience I had. :)

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Glenda,

I watched some shocking pics on the news tonight and thought about you! :unsure:

I don't know what to say...
my best thoughts are with you so that you will feel soon more secure and recover from this traumatic scary event

:hug:

Glenda

Crusader
Glenda,

I watched some shocking pics on the news tonight and thought about you! :unsure:

I don't know what to say... just my best thoughts that you will feel soon more secure and recover of this trauma.

:hug:

It's not good news on our fair shores at the moment. I'm going to make some changes in my life soon. More changes. I can't live this shallow meaningless life any more Lotus. I thought it had meaning - until the middle of the night, sitting on a hill, praying for the best outcomes possible after a huge earthquake in my country. I think I opened up something deep inside myself. I am just so sick and fucking tired of cruelty and trite crap.

I have a good therapist. I'm seeing her on Friday.

You know what is missing in this world? Love. People are so afraid of love. And by God the games they play to act that out leave me speechless sometimes. There's a bit more going on here with me than just the huge earthquake. I admit. I think my faith in humanity has taken a nose-dive this week. I really don't know.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
It's not good news on our fair shores at the moment. I'm going to make some changes in my life soon. More changes. I can't live this shallow meaningless life any more Lotus. I thought it had meaning - until the middle of the night, sitting on a hill, praying for the best outcomes possible after a huge earthquake in my country. I think I opened up something deep inside myself. I am just so sick and fucking tired of cruelty and trite crap.

I had never encounter an Earthquake in my life, so I don't know that kind of fear. However, I had face death and lord of death and agony.

When I came back..things were so ''super lucid'' I mean..''extra vivid'' and I felt sort of extra-lucid'' I felt like a stranger in this world..a world of dolls, mooving on slow motion; I was like an observer... normal things went out of meaning , although meaningless things became so meaningful...amplified...like love and friendship..I remember since that time I look at clouds and saw there were in suspension in the sky..It remained so...I am completely obnibulated by cumulus coulds...

I think you may have presently similar feelings...It's normal...since deep fear, flirting with death, facing it, brings about a sudden extra-lucid perspective and it shakes the pillars...It's like walking on a tight wire and trying to get back on on ground...Some experience mystic things..
You certainly are encountering an inner earthquake Glenda......well you will adjust, make any change you wish.... you are here..that's a beautiful gif and certainly many ideas comes to your mind..to make sense of it!

You know what is missing in this world? Love. People are so afraid of love. And by God the games they play to act that out leave me speechless sometimes. There's a bit more going on here with me than just the huge earthquake. I admit. I think my faith in humanity has taken a nose-dive this week. I really don't know.

I know! Speechless...here too!

life becomes suddenly so meaningless while small things become so meaningfull...it's like a inner shift of tectonic plates
but in the ugly there is beauty...otherwise we wouldn't know there is beauty! (like your friends up on the hill...)

You resiliency has always been and will always be your greatest friend Glenda!
You will make sense of all of it..your way! :coolwink:

Glad you have a good therapist and wish you also have friend's arms to comfort (hug) you! :wink2:

Love to you sister!

JustSheila

Crusader
Thanks heaps for the above vid. I'm going to have a bath (with relaxing stuff in it) tonight and listen to this, then go to bed early.

My cat Fummy died a couple of years ago. I haven't got another cat because I'm too scared to love like that again. I realise that probably sounds pathetic but there you have it.

I was with a Ministry of Ed appointed person this afternoon who ensures policy is implemented re: safety, etc. We were talking about things. It helped. I'm not the only one who is feeling vulnerable. Cold comfort - but comforting nonetheless.

Enough. I'm going to go fold all my linen neatly. Some of it needs freshening up so I will wash it. I might get rid of some of it. I have no idea why some of the stuff in my life is in my life. After that I think I will alphabeticalise (sp?) all my books - categories first, then alphabetical. I might cull a few. I don't need all these books. Then I think I will start researching monastic life options. Even that feels problematic - I don't subscribe to beliefs and rules easily. Not after that other shitty spiritual experience I had. :)

:wink2: I'm glad you found the vid helpful, Glenda, and hope you got a good night's sleep. I use the self-hypnosis vids a lot when my thoughts are scattered and I have too many things on my mind. YouTube has a lot of them and they've helped me relax and sleep more nights than I could count.

I'm sorry about Fummy. :bigcry:Somewhere out there, Glenda, is a cat needing adoption that freaked out during the earthquake and hasn't found stability since. I know it's a heartbreaker to lose a well-loved pet, but pets do more for us than we realize.

You may remember I adopted a year-old Boxer who has been a hellion until the last few weeks. It took her a while to warm up to me and maybe a lot of that was me, too. We both knew we'd eventually get there though. We're tight buddies now though. Pets, like children, give absolute, unquestioned love and loyalty. When you need a hug, they are there for you. When they need a hug, you're there for them. What they do is open your heart up all over again and keep it open and keep the focus on what is important. They heal you and if you have a rescue, you heal them, too. Nobody can ever replace your best friend. But somewhere out there is a scared, lonely animal who was lost and confused in the earthquake, just like you. Some animal that needs you - and you may find you also need him or her more than you ever realized.

What would Fummy want for you?

:bighug:

phenomanon

Canyon
We live on a tiny Peninsula , jutting out into the Sound on 3 sides. There is no way outta here if there is a quake. The Hood canal Bridge wouldn't make it.Ferries couldn't cross over to Seattle, there would be gridlock on the one hiway.
The Scientists predict a 9,5 mega quake here at any time. I have packed 2 bags. One is in the garage, in case there is any kind of 'foreshock', I am heading out. If it is the "big one", I have an emergency bag under "my " side of the bed, with a set of warm clothing, matches, emergency medical, etc etc packed in there. ( I also have my Ski suit under there handy.
This might seem overly concerned, but I am as ready as I can reasonably get for a disaster of any kind.
No. I am not crouching in fear, or doing anything differently ( xcept being sure that there is gas in my Prius), i realize that this probably won't happen in my lifetime, but but but...what if?
These guys in NZ probably didn't expect it, either.
However, NZ is a hot spot for big quakes, since there are actually TWO subduction zones there. Two Tectonic plates, and many faults surround the Island, making quakes and Tsunamis a probability, rather than a possibility.
Very unusual Geology around NZ.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

I'm glad to see you make a decision to make positive changes. I'm always happy when people get strength out of adversity instead of sinking into despair. The world is only as good as we collectively make it and it sounds like your ready to make things better.

Glenda

Crusader
I wish I could construct some sentences that made some sort of sense. I'll try...

I'm heavily restricting myself looking at the images that come in from down south, though I am reading the "best science" stuff I can get my hands on. This is serious shit and anyone that shoves their heads into the sand and says otherwise, well... enjoy the sand.

The ocean bed has risen at least a metre down on parts of the southern coast near the epicentre. Rocks that used to be under the sea are now acting as great perches for birds. Rivers now have dams formed by huge rock/mud slides, causing major issues with water volumes building.

We're working on "probability scenarios". These have been worked out by scientists collecting all available local info, and in collaboration with international scientists/data.

The most likely scenario (+99%) is that the usual pattern of aftershocks will continue. That means aftershocks will continue to decrease in frequency over the next 30 days. This includes the potential for aftershocks of between 6.0 and 6.9 (95% within the next 30 days).

Scenario two sucks! It is unlikely but is 30% likely in the next 30 days. An earthquake smaller than Monday's mainshock and between M7.0 to M7.8. Potentially on a mapped fault or an unmapped fault. Basically the bigger quake early on Monday morning could trigger another fault.

Scenario three: truly sucks (less than 1% likely in next 30 days)

"A much less likely scenario than the previous two scenarios is that recent earthquake activity will trigger an earthquake larger than Monday's M7.8 mainshock. This includes the possibility for an earthquake of greater than M8.0, which could be on the 'plate interface' (where the Pacific Plate meets the Australian Plate). Although it is still very unlikely, the chances of this occurring have increased since before the M7.8 earthquake." [Source: GeoNet - the official source of geological hazard information for New Zealand.]

So, thus far the early pattern is typical aftershock patterning. But we need to get out to 30 day range to gain confidence that will be the likely scenario. We are on day four, about to go into day five in a couple of hours.

Wish us love and luck. God bless the folk living in the heart of this stuff (down south). Kia kaha (stay strong) my people.

p.s. oddly I felt slightly better after dissecting the above info. Facing demons is never easy but there is something strangely empowering knowing what you are up against.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I wish I could construct some sentences that made some sort of sense. I'll try...

I'm heavily restricting myself looking at the images that come in from down south, though I am reading the "best science" stuff I can get my hands on. This is serious shit and anyone that shoves their heads into the sand and says otherwise, well... enjoy the sand.

The ocean bed has risen at least a metre down on parts of the southern coast near the epicentre. Rocks that used to be under the sea are now acting as great perches for birds. Rivers now have dams formed by huge rock/mud slides, causing major issues with water volumes building.

We're working on "probability scenarios". These have been worked out by scientists collecting all available local info, and in collaboration with international scientists/data.

The most likely scenario (+99%) is that the usual pattern of aftershocks will continue. That means aftershocks will continue to decrease in frequency over the next 30 days. This includes the potential for aftershocks of between 6.0 and 6.9 (95% within the next 30 days).

Scenario two sucks! It is unlikely but is 30% likely in the next 30 days. An earthquake smaller than Monday's mainshock and between M7.0 to M7.8. Potentially on a mapped fault or an unmapped fault. Basically the bigger quake early on Monday morning could trigger another fault.

Scenario three: truly sucks (less than 1% likely in next 30 days)

"A much less likely scenario than the previous two scenarios is that recent earthquake activity will trigger an earthquake larger than Monday's M7.8 mainshock. This includes the possibility for an earthquake of greater than M8.0, which could be on the 'plate interface' (where the Pacific Plate meets the Australian Plate). Although it is still very unlikely, the chances of this occurring have increased since before the M7.8 earthquake." [Source: GeoNet - the official source of geological hazard information for New Zealand.]

So, thus far the early pattern is typical aftershock patterning. But we need to get out to 30 day range to gain confidence that will be the likely scenario. We are on day four, about to go into day five in a couple of hours.

Wish us love and luck. God bless the folk living in the heart of this stuff (down south). Kia kaha (stay strong) my people.

p.s. oddly I felt slightly better after dissecting the above info. Facing demons is never easy but there is something strangely empowering knowing what you are up against.
:omg::nervous::omg::confused2::flowers2::hug::bighug:

Lots of love flowing your way Glenda.

Just wow that is a lot of earth shaking experience

Here is a link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale#

I have been through a few just over M5 earthquakes, but a M6 is Ten times that but releases about 32 times the M5.
A M7 about 1000 times as much energy is released compared to a M5.
But wow you experienced one approximately 25 THOUSANDS times more energy. Unfathomable to me.!

Kinda at a loss for words at the moment except to say as a fellow from the RiM of Fire dweller its a wild ride through the universe.
Make the best of what you have to hand, be thankful for each breath, share the good and bad times and jump up and down all you want cause ' mother earth' has a mind of her own and sometimes like to remind us we are not the only boss of our journey.

Be safe as you might and keep on experiencing and sharing the moments for all we can and fill them with friendship and love

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I've only experienced a couple of mild tremors in Victoria ... we face wild fires, flooding, storms and stingy things that can kill you but having the earth move is a whole different scenario. We take for granted that we walk and exist on a firm footing, so I can't imagine what you are going through.

New pictures show the land raised off the coast by up to 2.5 meters. Perhaps the energy has now been released and it will be quiet a while (says the optimist).

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/3321826...w-seabed-lift-north-of-kaikoura/?cmp=st#page1

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/...hways-after-kaikoura-earthquake/?ocid=9newsfb

Stay strong sister, the physical and mental upheavals may shake other things into place that you couldn't have imagined.
Hugs
<3

Glenda

Crusader
I don't know what to say. Things are so surreal here. I've tried writing about it but the words all seem so limiting, so ridiculous.

I find myself questioning everything. I saw my therapist yesterday. She said all her clients are in a similar boat as me - talking about our fears of dying and our fears of living.

One day at a time.