Nick Xenophon fights back

Carmel

Crusader
Can any of you guys do this???
Ive heard from Xen's aide that he wants us there Thursday (tbc). At this stage I'm in.

For those considering it, tomorrow we'll have more of an idea on what we'd be doing there, and at that point we can let ya know so ya can weigh it up.

slimjim

Patron with Honors
Um, what?

All I'm saying is, kids will be vulnerable to cult manipulation no matter what you teach them (unless you teach them REALLY well). And if they are unlucky enough to actually be sucked into a cult, I'm not so sure that having been told that they are now invulnerable to cult tactics would be all that helpful to them getting out...

So it's better to not educate kids about cults, really.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Ive heard from Xen's aide that he wants us there Thursday (tbc). At this stage I'm in.

For those considering it, tomorrow we'll have more of an idea on what we'd be doing there, and at that point we can let ya know so ya can weigh it up.

Thursday is actually a very bad day because the special ed people are demonstrating outside Parliament House. I will be supporting their demonstration, although I could possibly flit from one to the other.

On the whole I am available whenever needed though, pretty much. What time? Would we be meeting on the lawns?

slimjim

Patron with Honors
It would be great if Aaron could tell the senate in person some of the things he did to people, or some of the stuff he saw. It gives a strong balance, victims and victimizers. There's something about someone saying, I did this and these were the results.... that is very impactful. And if he was unable to make it due to work, he could do a video that could be played there, specifically addressing them.

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Amusingly, the subjects you bring up are the clearest examples of how our education system fails us.

Dietary habits taught in schools are a joke, as is the education against substance abuse. In fact, most of the "education" we get about substance abuse is complete disinformation.

And I don't doubt that many teachers will teach the subject of cults completely backwards... Imagine if we had C.A.N. teaching kids about cults :no:

But, maybe you're right. I guess there's no harm in bringing up cults in school, but I really doubt it would be all that effective.

I beg to differ but the main reason that education fails is because parents don't get involved with the process much anymore.

Don't know about others but no child of mine is going to be spoon fed any information without also getting plenty of alternate viewpoints and ultimately challenged in a respectful, fun and healthy way to form some individual perceptions and conclusions concerning the material.

As I mentioned, I believe it takes time, talking about it and open discussion.

I've no problem with complaints about schools yet for anybody who is not taking a primary role in their child's education.... the complaint is more about themselves or the neglectful parent.

Feral

Rogue male
Can you fellers get your own thread on education?

Carmel, I'm in, Ill fly to Cantburrough.

I also know some one else who'll come.

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Can you fellers get your own thread on education?

Understandably, the education aspect is not the only aspect to Xen's 'fight back' but it was an important issue that Xen brought up that is part of this threads OP.... as well as protesting the parlament which is exciting to see as it gets underway.:thumbsup:

byte301

Crusader
Thursday is actually a very bad day because the special ed people are demonstrating outside Parliament House. I will be supporting their demonstration, although I could possibly flit from one to the other.

On the whole I am available whenever needed though, pretty much. What time? Would we be meeting on the lawns?

Having the special ed people there would work imo. The senators could be educated on how the CoS views "special ed" people.

"They are db's and pulled that body in because of past lifetime overts. We don't have time to deal with them now so we'll handle them next lifetime. But in spite of them being db's we'll still accept their degraded money. We won't accept THEM, just their money, because we're so homo novice and are the only ones who can help. We CAN help, we just WON'T help. We have much better things to do right now. Buying and remoldeling buildings and beating staff is a much higher priority right now then a bunch of retarded db's."

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
I am sure Nick Xenophon would have some great input into what such a cult education would involve. When I was at school, we were briefly taught about cults in one or two Scripture lessons. Scientology was one of the few cults mentioned, and it was coveyed as quite sinister. Too little time was spent discussing it though to leave an effective impression on me when I was routed in off the street and love-bombed some years later. It would be great if many ex-cult members (I'd do it if asked) were scheduled to visit schools, and also if lots of audio-visual material was utilised over several lessons to really get the message across.

Yes, I think kids need to hear the story of another person who got in young, and be given a few key warning signs, such as:

Beware of any group that:
  • tells you they have all the answers
  • discourages you from listening to people outside the group
  • tries to occupy all of your time
  • tries to get you not to trust your family and friends

Age-appropriate materials could be developed, of course, with the older kids being shown programs such as the Four Corners one or "How to Spot a Cult" (what a great title).

Barbie

Patron
Yes, I think kids need to hear the story of another person who got in young, and be given a few key warning signs, such as:

Beware of any group that:
  • tells you they have all the answers
  • discourages you from listening to people outside the group
  • tries to occupy all of your time
  • tries to get you not to trust your family and friends

Age-appropriate materials could be developed, of course, with the older kids being shown programs such as the Four Corners one or "How to Spot a Cult" (what a great title).

Right On Cherished! I am in Australia and I have been working with CIFS and contacted Sen X regarding development of just such an education program. We have a teen targeted video that has been produced by another Ex Cult member, and I am now applying for grants to push the program forward.

I have been keeping it pretty quite up till now, but since I will be speaking to a public audience about it this month I decided to reach out on ESMB too.

Minnie, I don't know where you are but I would like to take you up on your offer to speak out. Cherished, please PM me too if you can, it seems like you have specific ideas that are right along the lines of the program we are putting together and I could use some input. Anyone else welcome as well!