NM SOS candidate Nora Espinoza says she walks ‘hand in hand’ with Scientology group

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
NM SOS candidate Nora Espinoza says she walks ‘hand in hand’ with Scientology front group CCHR.

NM Political Report: SOS candidate says she walks ‘hand in hand’ with Scientology group

http://nmpoliticalreport.com/54313/sos-candidate-says-she-walks-hand-in-hand-with-scientology-group/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

By Andy Lyman

Secretary of State Candidate Nora Espinoza recently appeared in two promotional videos for a group closely associated with the Church of Scientology that is critical of prescription drug companies. Months later, Espinoza received a large campaign contribution from a pharmaceutical company that clashed with the controversial religious group in the past.

This February, the Church of Scientology released a video featuring Espinoza praising the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR)—an organization founded by the Church of Scientology—for helping her pass legislation in 2015 prohibiting schools and school officials from coercing students into taking medication.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

[FONT=&quot]“That is the reason I walk hand in hand with you and you’ve walked hand in hand with me.”
[/FONT]

Jump

Operating teatime
Re: NM SOS candidate Nora Espinoza says she walks ‘hand in hand’ with Scientology gro

NM SOS candidate Nora Espinoza says she walks ‘hand in hand’ with Scientology front group CCHR.

NM Political Report: SOS candidate says she walks ‘hand in hand’ with Scientology group

http://nmpoliticalreport.com/54313/sos-candidate-says-she-walks-hand-in-hand-with-scientology-group/

By Andy Lyman

Secretary of State Candidate Nora Espinoza recently appeared in two promotional videos for a group closely associated with the Church of Scientology that is critical of prescription drug companies. Months later, Espinoza received a large campaign contribution from a pharmaceutical company that clashed with the controversial religious group in the past.

This February, the Church of Scientology released a video featuring Espinoza praising the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR)—an organization founded by the Church of Scientology—for helping her pass legislation in 2015 prohibiting schools and school officials from coercing students into taking medication.

[FONT=&quot]“That is the reason I walk hand in hand with you and you’ve walked hand in hand with me.”
[/FONT]

Well, there's one drug she overlooked. The political suicide pill.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology praises candidate who sought to legalize anti-gay discrimination

Scientology praises candidate who sought to legalize anti-gay discrimination

Santa Fe New Mexican: Rep. Espinoza runs from record in New Mexico secretary of state’s race

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...cle_42150c9b-e9eb-520a-980c-95abcd3eec65.html

During her nine-plus years in the state Legislature, Rep. Nora Espinoza of Roswell sponsored bills that brought heavy criticism from Democrats, including a measure this year that would have allowed businesses to turn away gay customers on religious grounds.

[SNIP]

In the 30-day legislative session that ended in February, Espinoza co-sponsored the bill that would have allowed businesses to refuse service to gay and lesbian customers. Espinoza now is trying to distance herself from the proposal, which died without receiving a hearing. She no longer wants to discuss business rights or gay rights, only voter rights.

Scrutiny of Espinoza’s legislative record has raised other questions. She has received nearly $23,000 in contributions from at least 10 pharmaceutical companies since her first legislative campaign in 2006. But she also aligned herself with the Church of Scientology on a measure related to use of medications in schools.

Espinoza in 2015 sponsored a bill that prohibits “school personnel from compelling students to use psychotropic medications.” Her bill cleared the House of Representatives 67-1 and the Senate 39-0. Gov. Susana Martinez signed it into law.

The Church of Scientology, along with an affiliated nonprofit organization called the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, has since produced two videos lauding Espinoza. In turn, she praises the church and its nonprofit.

In the video, Espinoza credits the nonprofit for helping her craft the 2015 bill. “For you guys to stand and to fight for this — love you guys. Love you guys,” Espinoza says. “That is the reason I walk hand in hand with you and you’ve walked hand in hand with me.”

Espinoza says the videos, which were released after she announced her candidacy for secretary of state in early February, are irrelevant to her campaign.
“My firmly held view is that the office of secretary of state is an administrative office, not a legislative office in which a person campaigns on numerous social and economic issues,” she said in an email. “Either a person administers the office competently, fairly and transparently, or she does not.”

Espinoza also has tried to distance herself from the church she praises in the video. “I do not support the Church of Scientology,” she said. “My statement was that the organization is supporting parents’ rights to determine if psychotropic medication will be given to their children.”