What's new

No Politics! ESMB is about Scientology!

JackStraw

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hi Lotus,

Are there people in France that talk this way? Is it a particular region if so?
I realize these people's ancestors left France a long time ago....just wondering.
The way I understand it, lots of folks from France migrated to the new world into Canada. My father's family, f'rinstance.
Lots of them settled in the eastern parts in a place called Acadia. They became known as Acadians. Some time later there was a further migration of some (many) of these people to the American South, mainly to Louisiana. The name Acadian gradually corrupted to Cajun, Kinda like Indian became Injun...

Jack (Jacques) :beer:

RogerB

Crusader
Ok, but the 'Home Counties' accent is essentially no accent at all. Look at it this way. A 'London accent' is plain vanilla, and all the other regions have different
flavours. Sorry, but it's the best I can do.
Your best is good enough, Strattie!

Since London is the place at the center of the universe, of course anything else is accented! :D

After living there for nearly 20 years I got used to all the Pommie accents . . . but today, after nearly 40 years in the US . . . umm, Mate, I have real trouble understanding Bonny Prince Charlie Boy when he mumbles his way through anything!

Of course it is an example of the affected British Public School, upper crust shit.

I also ran into it with a Texas guy I was doing consulting with in London. We were coming down in the lift (elevator to you Americans) with some Hoytie-Toytie very senior board member executive types of the bank building we were in. As the Brits conversed, it was the same closed mouth mumble P. Charles uses. After we got out of the lift, Ty (the Texan) said to me: "If they were any more British, they wouldn't be talking at all!" This pantomimed as he acted out the very strained use of his mouth to squeeze out the final part of his comment.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Since London is the place at the center of the universe, of course anything else is accented! :D

After living there for nearly 20 years I got used to all the Pommie accents . . . but today, after nearly 40 years in the US . . . umm, Mate, I have real trouble understanding Bonny Prince Charlie Boy when he mumbles his way through anything!

Of course it is an example of the affected British Public School, upper crust shit.

I also ran into it with a Texas guy I was doing consulting with in London. We were coming down in the lift (elevator to you Americans) with some Hoytie-Toytie very senior board member executive types of the bank building we were in. As the Brits conversed, it was the same closed mouth mumble P. Charles uses. After we got out of the lift, Ty (the Texan) said to me: "If they were any more British, they wouldn't be talking at all!" This pantomimed as he acted out the very strained use of his mouth to squeeze out the final part of his comment.
A couple of years ago, for want of something better to do, I got into re-learning how to solve quadratic equations (really I think it was some kind of attempt to keep my grey matter working in the hope it might help ward off senility in one form or another).

Anyway, I found a video tutorial that explained how, but the young guy who made the vids had the most pronounced cockney accent I think I've ever heard. For some reason I found that a bit odd. Perhaps I was expecting the clipped speech of an Oxford don and got a market stall trader instead.

I have to say his vids were excellent!

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
A couple of years ago, for want of something better to do, I got into re-learning how to solve quadratic equations (really I think it was some kind of attempt to keep my grey matter working in the hope it might help ward off senility in one form or another).
Strattie,

I was concerned with he same issue (especially because Dad died a few years ago with a severe dementia) and thus, watched a few documentaries made with neurologists experts on this matter.

What I recall is when they talked about the hyppocampus ipart of the brain that must be stimulated to make new routes and connections to avoid the ''scarves'' efect in that area when people are aging.

So I still used 3 things they mentionned:

1) each night when I get into bed try to view my home form above and see the floor plan of each room. (very good exervice)
2) I try to stay away from the GPS to trace my itinerary...I look on a 2d google map (sometiems print it) and then use the old good method and still use my brain to find where i am located in a city and to know the directions.
3) I learn new languages (english and spanish) This is one of the best thing since learning a new language uses part of the brain that will prevent alzheimer and dementias to developp.

And I will stick to it as long as I can, like coming on ESMB to perfect my english.

Although, one thing that will allow dementias to developp, are the routines; Doing the same things, same places, same people, and avoiding challenges, new things, new places, new people. So we must remain intellectually and socially curious and willing for new adventures.
;)

strativarius

Strattie,

I was concerned with he same issue (especially because Dad died a few years ago with a severe dementia) and thus, watched a few documentaries made with neurologists experts on this matter.

What I recall is when they talked about the hyppocampus ipart of the brain that must be stimulated to make new routes and connections to avoid the ''scarves'' efect in that area when people are aging.

1) each night when I get into bed try to view my home form above and see the floor plan of each room. (very good exervice)
2) I try to stay away from the GPS to trace my itinerary...I look on a 2d google map (sometiems print it) and then use the old good method and still use my brain to find where i am located in a city and to know the directions.
3) I learn new languages (english and spanish) This is one of the best thing since learning a new language uses part of the brain that will prevent alzheimer and dementias to developp.

And I will stick to it as long as I can, like coming on ESMB to perfect my english.

Although, one thing that will allow dementias to developp, are the routines; Doing the same things, same places, same people, and avoiding challenges, new things, new places, new people. So we must remain intellectually and socially curious and willing for new adventures.
;)
Thanks for your post lotusblossom, the 3 'exercises' you list sound interesting.

Apart from solving quadratic equations (lol), I write the odd computer program in Perl or C from time to time to keep the old grey matter occupied, but the SCARY thing about your post is that my day-to-day life is one enormous routine. I get out of my bed at approximately the same time every day and ditto for my meals and the time that I go to bed each night. When I switch on my computer in the morning I go through the same routine in the same order (check emails, scan what's going to be on TV that day in case there's something that catches my eye (usually nothing) and so on.

I absolutely love routine and now you've got me worried.

Apart from noticing that I've typed absolute gobbledegook when I think I've typed everything correctly and have to edit my work before posting for example, so far I can't say I've noticed anything amiss regarding my brain cells malfunctioning. I just hope things stay that way.

tesseract

Patron with Horrors
You could, ofcourse, become a phone poster. A smartphone will prevent you from developing any routines, not unlike being a secret agent or troubleshooter in a nuclear plant, as whenever you have solved a problem, there will be a scheduled system update plus updates for every single app and at least 5 new problems (plus either Google or Apple looking over your shoulder) plus the question where is that function or setting hidden away now that you just figured out how to disable yesterday.
(All kidding aside, this is severely exaggerated and I love my phone and hate my computer every day more because of all the waiting... :p )

Luckily, I might be able to help with the transition. Currently I am offering the following Freakzone seminars, taking place every 6th Friday each month in a certain cellar bar in Vienna, free of charge.
(You are hereby informed that the presenter might show up in leather, for bullbait reasons ofcourse and so that objectives are more fun: Touch that body part (you worthless slave). Thank you.)
  • P-1 / YOU-PAY: Your Often Unused Phone And You - how to do anything with your phone (at all)
  • P-2 / BORE: Bothered Over Risking Extremes - accepting to be the average user
  • P-3 / ASAP: Assuring Smartphone Addicts Prevail - living with the addiction, and making other people's lifes hell
  • ARC-1: Maintaining ARC: how to organize up to 2000 reaction pics and find them again when needed
  • SP-1 / R&R: Ridges and Righteousness: removing your inner barriers to shitposting
  • SP-2 / 66D: The 66 dynamics of shitposting
  • NEW: SP-3 / DX: Dementia and how to make it an advantage when shitposting
  • NEW: POL-1 / GO-/POL/: Getting Overly Political Over Life
:cool:

strativarius

You could, ofcourse, become a phone poster. A smartphone will prevent you from developing any routines, not unlike being a secret agent or troubleshooter in a nuclear plant, as whenever you have solved a problem, there will be a scheduled system update plus updates for every single app and at least 5 new problems (plus either Google or Apple looking over your shoulder) plus the question where is that function or setting hidden away now that you just figured out how to disable yesterday.
(All kidding aside, this is severely exaggerated and I love my phone and hate my computer every day more because of all the waiting... :p )

Luckily, I might be able to help with the transition. Currently I am offering the following Freakzone seminars, taking place every 6th Friday each month in a certain cellar bar in Vienna, free of charge.
(You are hereby informed that the presenter might show up in leather, for bullbait reasons ofcourse and so that objectives are more fun: Touch that body part (you worthless slave). Thank you.)
  • P-1 / YOU-PAY: Your Often Unused Phone And You - how to do anything with your phone (at all)
  • P-3 / ASAP: Assuring Smartphone Addicts Prevail - living with the addiction, and making other people's lifes hell
  • ARC-1: Maintaining ARC: how to organize up to 2000 reaction pics and find them again when needed
  • SP-1 / R&R: Ridges and Righteousness: removing your inner barriers to shitposting
Thanks, but I have no intention of becoming a phone zombie like about 80% of the population seem to have has turned into. I have a mobile phone that's about 15 years old all charged-up and ready to go in case my landline goes down and I need to contact the outside world, but that's as far as it goes. I wouldn't have a clue how to use it if I did get a 'proper' one anyway.

phenomanon

Canyon

The Female Brit talks through her nose.

phenomanon

Canyon
Strattie,

;)

JackStraw

Silver Meritorious Patron

Sign me up! I have the 6th Friday of most months free, as it turns out. (getting from SF to Vienna could be a problem, though)

Jack

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
By the way, I'm known as a bit of a grammar Nazi and pedant around here, so let me put you straight. First of all, sentences begin with a capital letter, so that should have been 'So what if you don't like it GFY'. Secondly, if I were you I'd have put a comma after the word what, so it would read, 'So what, if you don't like it GFY'. Finally, I really really think another comma wouldn't go amiss after the word 'it', so it would read 'So what, if you don't like it, GFY'.

Moral: If you had insulted me using better grammar and punctuation, maybe I would have had a little more respect for you.
This here below illustrates how critical it is to use proper grammar in order to convey the correct meaning:

grammar.png