What's new

No Politics! ESMB is about Scientology!

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
You often hear Americans say that they have had difficulty understanding what some Brits are saying. Whether they come from Alaska or Texas I have no problem understanding what Americans say.
I think part of it is the slang

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I think part of it is the slang
Yes, English is replete with slang, and there are many many words that are only used in localised regional areas. Where I live at present is a place frequented by visitors in the summer months seeking the warm southern sunshine, and the locals here call 'em grockles. If you were to go to London, that isn't a word anyone would be familiar with. Likewise the Scots have many words, 'dreich' for example, that only they use and understand. It means dull and miserable weather by the way, something the Scots are only too familiar with.

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
You often hear Americans say that they have had difficulty understanding what some Brits are saying. Whether they come from Alaska or Texas I have no problem understanding what Americans say.
You haven't spent a day working in a campsite in the south, then. Last week someone called the Ranger office with a deep accent, poor phone connection and talking real fast. All I could make out was what sounded like 'auto' and 'accident.' I radioed the Ranger to have a look at the site.

The Ranger rushed over there and about bust a gut laughing when he saw the aut-er. I heard he was literally on the ground laughing.

It turned out the camper called about otter antics. The camper was tossing sticks from the dock and the aut-er was fetching them.

:hide: I didn't answer the radio when he splained it to me...

True story. :redface:
River-Otter-1262076372yQjlRvz-700x525.jpg

Last edited:

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
You haven't spent a day working in a campsite in the south, then. Last week someone called the Ranger office with a deep accent, poor phone connection and talking real fast. All I could make out was what sounded like 'auto' and 'accident.' I radioed the Ranger to have a look at the site.

The Ranger rushed over there and about bust a gut laughing when he saw the aut-er. I heard he was literally on the ground laughing.

It turned out the camper called about otter antics. The camper was tossing sticks from the dock and the aut-er was fetching them.

:hide: I didn't answer the radio when he splained it to me...

True story. :redface:
River-Otter-1262076372yQjlRvz-700x525.jpg

Jesus H. Christ!

lol

JustSheila

Crusader
Jesus H. Christ!

lol
Yeh, embarassing as hell, but very funny and awfully cool. Apparently the native river otters were getting scarce, so the State restocked them. So now we have a few and they're coupled up, too. :arose:The state wildlife guys came by a few days later and I asked them about the otters. They said they're very smart and friendly and extremely playful but not dangerous to people. They'll chase beavers out of their homes, though. Well, hey, beavers can build some real nice lodges so I can't say I blame the otters.

beaver-house-kids-can-press-beavers-beaver-house-broken-arrow.jpg

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Yeh, embarassing as hell, but very funny and awfully cool. Apparently the native river otters were getting scarce, so the State restocked them. So now we have a few and they're coupled up, too. :arose:The state wildlife guys came by a few days later and I asked them about the otters. They said they're very smart and friendly and extremely playful but not dangerous to people. They'll chase beavers out of their homes, though. Well, hey, beavers can build some real nice lodges so I can't say I blame the otters.

beaver-house-kids-can-press-beavers-beaver-house-broken-arrow.jpg
Well, one things fer sure. It sure has been a long time since I last saw a beaver. :biggrin:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Once, when hitch-hiking in England, I was picked up by a family with the most amazing accents. They were black and had emigrated from America from the deep-deep south but had lived for quite a while in East End London. The combined accent of American-black-deep south-cockney was absolutely wonderful. Mind you, I only understood about half of what they said.
To me

this

:p
is the same than this

AS I wrote the other day, one has to learn to say ''fucking'' with all words and there it is.. :D

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Hi Lotus,

Are there people in France that talk this way? Is it a particular region if so?
I realize these people's ancestors left France a long time ago....just wondering.
No they don't talk this way. (As a waiter you have certainly served many french in the south\east USA)
Cajun mean acadians (new brunswick north of Canada) It's a mix of french\english language
You are right, their french ancestors left France long time ago to establish in the new world ; But they have been chased by brits who burned their properties and deported all of them , either back in France, England, USA louisianna, or new-brunswick (for those who escaped). This was intented to destroy their culture .
So many of them are established in south USA for a few centuries and it's really amazing that they retained their french culture and language within this vast english speaking country.

:cool:

Last edited: