What's new

Now the NSW Government joined Senator Xenophon

mate

Patron Meritorious
The Greens Political Party of the State of New South Wales is now demanding action against the Scientology Athena School in Sydney.

Scientology school gets $1m from government

By state political reporter Mark Tobin

Posted 2 December 2009

Newly compiled figures show the federal and state governments will give a Scientologist-linked private school in Sydney more than $1 million.

The Athena School in Newtown says on its website that it teaches from the booklet The Way to Happiness, which was written by Scientology founder L Ron Hubbard.

New South Wales Greens MP John Kaye has compiled data sourced from answers given to questions on notice in both federal and state parliaments.

He found that over the next four years, the school will get about $1.4 million of government funding.

"Public money is now being used to support a school that admits to using the discredited Scientology-based teaching methodology," he said.

New South Wales Greens MP John Kaye told Parliament last week that recognising Scientology as a religion granted legitimacy to a cult that bullies, intimidates and exploits.

He says governments should not be funding the Athena School.

"It's time for both the state and federal education ministers to take this seriously," he said.

"The whistle has been blown on Scientology by Senator Xenophon.

"It's time for the state and federal governments to act to make sure that their money is not being used to promote Scientology."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/02/2759186.htm?section=justin

David.

Zhent

Leakus Maximus
Awesome stuff!

Heres another similar article with some additional info - http://www.smh.com.au/national/schools-linked-to-scientology-will-get-16m-20091201-k3y3.html

Schools linked to Scientology will get $1.6m
ANNA PATTY EDUCATION EDITOR
December 2, 2009

FEWER than 100 children will benefit from more than $1.6 million in Federal Government subsidies over four years to two schools strongly linked to the Scientology movement.

The Athena School in Newtown will receive $751,519 in recurrent funding from the Federal Government for the 2009 to 2012 funding period. It has also been allocated $135,287 for a new library, $114,713 for primary classroom refurbishments and $50,000 for other refurbishments under the Rudd Government's Building the Education Revolution program.

The Athena School is licensed by Applied Scholastics International, which has strong links to Scientology. The school's website says it teaches from the booklet The Way to Happiness, written by Scientology's founder, L. Ron Hubbard.

The Federal Government will provide an estimated $367,000 over the four-year funding cycle to the Yarralinda School in Mooroolbark, Victoria, which has about 30 students and uses teaching methods developed by Applied Scholastics.

The school's website says the education services and materials are based on Hubbard's works.

A NSW Greens MP, John Kaye, said the Athena School had enrolled fewer than 50 students last year, according to NSW Government figures. He said the Rudd Government, despite its concerns about Scientology, had endorsed the use of public money to support a school that promoted Hubbard's teaching.

''Public funding to the Scientology schools promotes the teachings of an organisation that has been accused of intimidation, blackmail and fraud.''

The executive director of the Association of Independent Schools, Geoff Newcombe, said the school was registered by the NSW Board of Studies ''and as such, is entitled to a certain level of Government funding for both recurrent and capital purposes''.

A spokeswoman for the Board of Studies said the Athena School was registered to teach kindergarten to year 10, but was not accredited to offer the school certificate.

byte301

Crusader
Good. If they knock out these schools that means some scientologist's kids may actually get to go to public school and get a REAL education.:happydance:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Last I heard, Yarralinda had 17 students housed in a building that had had 300 plus when it was a Catholic school.

I was a Board member for this school and - I have doc.s !!:happydance:

OSAbots, welcome to more nightmare. :woohoo:

I'm off to send them to Dr Kaye.:D

byte301

Crusader
Last I heard, Yarralinda had 17 students housed in a building that had had 300 plus when it was a Catholic school.

I was a Board member for this school and - I have doc.s !!:happydance:

OSAbots, welcome to more nightmare. :woohoo:

I'm off to send them to Dr Kaye.:D

LOVE THOSE DOXS!!!:D