O/W write ups - good for the soul?

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I have a confession to make. (Pardon the pun) :coolwink:

In Scientology, the most spiritually fulfilling thing I ever did was to write up my O/Ws. In hindsight it was probably the dumbest thing I ever did as they still have those write-ups, but what the hell! :D

As a Div 6 Course Sup in my earlier days on staff, I put many people through the "Personal Values and Integrity" course to marvelous results. Really. Fantastic results. I have no doubt that people benefited from writing those O/Ws. I had to work very hard to earn their trust, and had to word clear "justification" a zillion times with my students, but invariably the end result was a happy shiny person who was freed from enormous burden.

When I got sent to ethics (for something REAL as opposed to arbitrary "head on pike bullshit") and wrote up my real transgressions against myself, or my family and friends, I felt enormous relief and a much increased level of personal responsibility for my actions.

Stupidly, I thought LRH invented O/W tech. I was raised a Roman Catholic and did have a few confessions with a priest, but I was a kid who didn't take it seriously and never saw the benefit of saying six Hail Mary's after admitting to stealing Billy's apple.

If I miss anything in Scientology, it is the facility to "come clean" either in session or in an O/W write up.

After I left the CoS I flirted with the idea of returning to Christianity. I even went to a Lutheran service to get a feel for it. My first question to the pastor after the service was "do you do confessions?" He explained that outside the Roman Catholic Church, confession is mainly done between yourself & God in prayer. This didn't really suit me because I realised at that time that the Christian God was not real to me. It still isn't.

Then I started looking into this idea of confession and found that pretty much every major religion on earth has a form of it.

From Wikipedia:

Confession in other religions
In Buddhism, confessing one's faults to a superior is an important part of Buddhist practice. In the various sutras, followers of the Buddha confessed their wrongdoing to Buddha [1].

In Judaism, confession is an important part of attaining forgiveness for both sins against God and another man. However, confession of sins is made to God and not man (except in asking for forgiveness of the victim of the sin). In addition, confession in Judaism is done communally in plural. Unlike the Christian "I have sinned," Jews confess that "We have sinned."

In Islam, confession, or declaration to be more precise, of faith is one of the five pillars of Islam (see Shahadah). The act of seeking forgiveness from God is called Istighfar.

In 12 step programs, a lot of attention is given to this process of confession & personal responsibility.

Step 4: Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
Step 5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
Step 6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
Step 7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
Step 8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
Step 9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
Step 10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

The Big Book was written in 1939 and the bible and other religious books were obviously written thousands of years ago, so Hubbard was very late on the scene.

Anyway, back to my original point - O/W write ups.

I believe if you took away the Big Brother effect of Scn, and just sat down and wrote them up every now & again and showed them to a trusted friend (or not), or just burned them, it is not a bad thing to do. If it means you are unburdened and able to regain some control of your life, this is a good thing.

I'm not sure if I'm trying to make a point here or just rambling on. I guess I want to say that if you found value in writing up your transgressions whilst in Scientology, don't throw that away just because you were introduced to it in Scientology. Like anything of value in Scientology, it was already a proven spiritually sound thing to do that Ron "borrowed" and claimed as his own. Even if you use the same formula i.e time, place, form & event that LRH introduced us to, don't worry about that either. The Roman Catholics had nearly the exact same format for confessing sins to priests a thousand or so years ago.

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
I never did an O/W writeup, but did get the benefit of doing a Sec Check - benefit in that it did help me, although there are many negatives to it as well.

To me, I think the true relief comes in the 'looking', the 'as-ising' of the event being written up, or sec-checked. The actual process helps one to 'look', and accurately see time, place, form, event. But I think, theoretically, one could bypass the process, and just look, and acknowledge what they see (at least to themselves).

I say theoretically, as this is not an easy thing to do. But ultimately, I believe, the benefit of the confessional is in the act of 'looking', and therefore, being honest, even if only with oneself.

Neo

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I never did an O/W writeup, but did get the benefit of doing a Sec Check - benefit in that it did help me, although there are many negatives to it as well.

To me, I think the true relief comes in the 'looking', the 'as-ising' of the event being written up, or sec-checked. The actual process helps one to 'look', and accurately see time, place, form, event. But I think, theoretically, one could bypass the process, and just look, and acknowledge what they see (at least to themselves).

I say theoretically, as this is not an easy thing to do. But ultimately, I believe, the benefit of the confessional is in the act of 'looking', and therefore, being honest, even if only with oneself.

Neo

You NEVER did an O/W write up?

WTF?

Were your stats NEVER in Danger? Not even once?

Errol, Errol, Errol! You have a lot to answer for! :D

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
You NEVER did an O/W write up?

WTF?

Were your stats NEVER in Danger? Not even once?

Errol, Errol, Errol! You have a lot to answer for! :D

Mostly affluence, or normal. I made those guys a lot of money.

:)

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I didn't gain anything much from either O/W writeups or sec checks. This is probably because I was aware from a young age that in Scn it was part of a punishment and control system. I am happy about that now. Perhaps the innate knowledge I had that personal integrity is that - personal - saved me a lot of grief.

However the subject is a vast one and dear to my heart. Because I had to find my own way so often, without outside help, I learnt that the person I had to answer to was myself. If I did something awful, then it needed to be handled with that other person asap. I didn't tend to let things fade into the past and become great weights of baggage. Yes, sometimes that included writing it up for myself, or talking to a friend. But mostly my own examination of the 'time/place/form/event' and figuring out how to avoid it in future.

I think if you put great significance on "crimes" they become so. We make mistakes, we take a wrong path, hey fix it as best as possible and forgive yourself. There is no need for outside approval of that. I think the very fact that you can get relief from O/W writeups - because that can happen - is also part of the trap, like having a win in auditing. You want more, you expect the same results and it doesn't work well that way. If you commit big crimes then you also have to realistically take the consequences of that, and evolving into a state where you can is personal growth.

This journey of life is about becoming more aware. IMO. "Coming clean" is part of that, though without judgement and punishment as part of the process. (Unless that's the road you want to take.) At some point you always face results and consequences, some call it karma, so it's in one's best interests to learn to keep yourself 'clean'. It's a good thing to do, as long as finding your integrity is done with integrity!

Tanstaafl

Crusader
I didn't gain anything much from either O/W writeups or sec checks. This is probably because I was aware from a young age that in Scn it was part of a punishment and control system. I am happy about that now. Perhaps the innate knowledge I had that personal integrity is that - personal - saved me a lot of grief.

However the subject is a vast one and dear to my heart. Because I had to find my own way so often, without outside help, I learnt that the person I had to answer to was myself. If I did something awful, then it needed to be handled with that other person asap. I didn't tend to let things fade into the past and become great weights of baggage. Yes, sometimes that included writing it up for myself, or talking to a friend. But mostly my own examination of the 'time/place/form/event' and figuring out how to avoid it in future.

I think if you put great significance on "crimes" they become so. We make mistakes, we take a wrong path, hey fix it as best as possible and forgive yourself. There is no need for outside approval of that. I think the very fact that you can get relief from O/W writeups - because that can happen - is also part of the trap, like having a win in auditing. You want more, you expect the same results and it doesn't work well that way. If you commit big crimes then you also have to realistically take the consequences of that, and evolving into a state where you can is personal growth.

This journey of life is about becoming more aware. IMO. "Coming clean" is part of that, though without judgement and punishment as part of the process. (Unless that's the road you want to take.) At some point you always face results and consequences, some call it karma, so it's in one's best interests to learn to keep yourself 'clean'. It's a good thing to do, as long as finding your integrity is done with integrity!

More wise words! :)

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
O/W write ups are a Godsend to the Ozzie case - :)

Sec Checks also work great on the Ozzie case - :)

No-one in the universe commits more continuous overts in a given day than an Ozzie - especially on Pommies! :lol:

O/W write ups are okay - but they are negative processes........most Scio's are grossly overrun on O/W.

The command is: What have you done? - that means good dones as well as bad.

What have you withheld? - that also means good w/hs as well as bad.

In cleaning up Ex-Scio's we usually have to put in the commands:

What good things have you done?

What good things have you withheld?

It is amazing the amount of suppression that comes to view when a person starts to confront their GOOD ACTIONS!

Alan

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
O/W write ups are a Godsend to the Ozzie case - :)

Sec Checks also work great on the Ozzie case - :)

No-one in the universe commits more continuous overts in a given day than an Ozzie - especially on Pommies! :lol:

It's the ANZO case. :D

Zander

Patron with Honors
I also got something out of sec-checks in the beginning, and probably o/w write-ups too. I suppose it's like a lot of things in scn, they may have some beneficial effect to some extent, but there is nothing original there.

But I think that like most things in scn this is taken to the absolute extreme and becomes very introverting on a person, especially when it is not about helping that person.

So the stats are suffering and all staff are assumed to have committed overts, WTF. Assigning them to do o/w writes is not for their benefit.

You have a few doubts or ask questions about int management: off you go to 2+ intensives of sec checks. Again, whose benefit is this for? The name itself gives a clue that this is not about you it is about the organization exerting it's control over you.

Zander

I agree with Freetoshine on the point about not needeing outside approval for the process of dealing with your "transgressions".
I was a catholic as a kid so went to confession there. Later in scio i had lots of rundowns that involved o'w stuff. These days I see it as a process of looking at an area where you might have inner conflict and so analyzing it and being honest in order to resolve the inner conflict. The "justification" is sometimes what makes the conflict but it can be dissapiontment in not living up to one's own -or someone else's standards.
Lots of potential for abuse of course. The Chinese have a history of public renouncing of one's "heretical" ideas. Lots of public humiliation and of course acceptance of "re education" to get your mind straightened out according to Mao or whoever was in at the time. Rpf anyone?

Tanstaafl

Crusader
-snip-
O/W write ups are okay - but they are negative processes........most Scio's are grossly overrun on O/W.

-snip-

I think this is a crucial point which Alan has raised before IIRC.
Relief can quickly turn to introspection. Looking at both sides keeps in the balance and perspective. Just looking at overts could lead someone to identify all action as an overt act if the procedure is abused. But, of course, that would never happen would it? :eyeroll:

Pixie

Crusader
I never got anything from o/w write ups or sec checks, I always felt intimidated, interrogated and way overrun. Towards my last days in the cult, my then husband and I were locked in a room for almost two weeks to fess up our 'crimes'. I almost lost my sanity in there.

Then, the whole way through my KTL I was hauled into the auditing room for sec checks and screamed at to once again fess up my crimes. I have had enough of this and to this day feel overrrun in the extreme.

I do not feel the need to do any type of 'write up' for myself, or for anyone else. If I have done something I personaly feel is wrong, I make peace with myself first, and then if I've hurt anyone I then make peace with them.

Good and bad, right and wrong, are mere viewpoints, it is how things are judged, where one comes from or their background, religion etc. For twenty years I have answered to lron, and I promise myself I will never answer to anyone but myself again.

If I deliberately do something, knowingly, to hurt another, or they to me, my view now is: 'Long runs the fox'. People don't need this for the universe to balance an imbalance if there is one, people who do wrong eventually hang themselves anyway. We are only ever responsible for ourselves. Real truth comes from within. This is my view anyway. :yes:

Div6

Crusader
I had great wins on all forms of O\W, from write-ups to FPRD. I never got much out of the "canned" sec checks, but I did get into firefights with the C\S about what i perceived to be "auditing is for the PC" vs "HCO Confessionals for the group". I thought they went batshit crazy with the HCO confessionals, and were just dramatizing a make-wrong mechanism and dishing out injustice.

So I am vehemently against that sort of faggotry.

But for personal gain...."humility is the heart of review" as it says in the data series.

Even in solo, you "gotta pull the O's if you wanta get to Cause, and you know it don't come easy...." (Apologies to Ringo Starr...)

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
I was absolutely hopeless at O/Ws. When I did a meter confessional it something like two hours of continual prodding just to get one little detail so that the whole thing would blow--and I swear to this day that the "detail" in question had not crossed my mind for the entire session, I had not attempted to suppress it or gives something as a substitute.

Was it Zing or DOF who said, he sat down and looked at his real "crimes", like parking on a yellow line, or jaywalking, or slipping an extra receipt into his tax return and compared those to the gravity of "org crimes" and hey! Just get a grip.

I know that writing up anything can help a person get a better grip by organizing their thoughts, and I have used writing as a tool for this purpose.

I AM who I AM -- that it is my crime. It is also my punishment.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

In cleaning up Ex-Scio's we usually have to put in the commands:

What good things have you done?

What good things have you withheld?

It is amazing the amount of suppression that comes to view when a person starts to confront their GOOD ACTIONS!

Alan

More wise words.

Oh and Ozzies don't have cases. They are just right all the time. :D

Carmel

Crusader
Hi Folks,

The following is part of a post I did on another thread (which I think is relevant):

"FOR EXAMPLE: there's a mountain of tech on o/ws, yet it's been twisted beyond belief with verbal lines, used to make wrong or supress. O/W tech is only about the individual, HIS responsibility level, HIS reach, and HIS survival. It's got absolutely nothing to do with the group, crimes or transgressions against the group (per all the theory it certainly hasn't!). Yet evidently, per the "think" of most, it has. This tech has been twisted by LRH, DM, Execs or whoever, then forwarded and used to dominate. This twisted version has become the "tech". It's certainly not the tech that I learnt and use...."

All the ANZO dudes that I know (who are pretty well all ANZO cases), are absolutely fed up with o/w write ups. Down here they've been used to punish and introvert ya up your arse (as I'm sure they have been in other places and up-lines.

I think the theory on them, and sane application of them is great. If used at the right time and for the right reason - all good stuff. If used to make wrong, punish, force into submission, they're a shocker!

Also, limiting ow write ups to Flow 2, or to transgressions per the "group's" morale code (rather than one's own), is a worry. It's a major twist and mis-use. Flow 0 (what one does to oneself), can be very impinging on a case. So too can the likes of standing by and doing nothing when a friend is being supressed by another (Flow 3). The validity of such overts have been negated by EO's/Maa's who don't know the difference between an o/w and their arsehole.

Glad you made the post Emma. Cheers

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I agree with the beneficial nature of writing up O/W's, or even formal confessional procedure, with the caveat that it must be done strictly for the benefit of the person receiving the help, rather than with ANY intention of using the information gained for ANY purpose other than cleaning up the charge. For this reason, I agree with Ken Ogger's viewpoint that after a session having to do with O/W, given that the session wasn't red-tagged, I'm all for burning any session notes, ritualistically, so that the person can let go of whatever charge might be generated by the fact that the o/w are externally recorded. The same can be true of o/w write-ups done personally. I have found them immensely helpful, except where there was blame/shame/regret attached, which can be cleaned up with "who has had that attitude about that" and then prepchecking whatever terminal comes up.

Don't forget the "take a walk" part, if getting introverted. And make sure to END CYCLE on it, rather than freewheeling after the session.

I don't LIKE to do o/w write-ups, but they have certainly been beneficial to me.