What's new

OMG! Marty Rathbun's Letter to TC's Lawyer!!

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I don't think Tom Cruise is a violent man, the cult may have tried to implant him with thought of violent behavior so they could use it against him if need be and claimed to have cured him of this behavior, but that's about it. In fact who knows what is real and what is fantasy in someones's PC folder, when they are intentionally hypnotized and fed suggestions for hundreds if not thousands of hours

I don't think anyone's saying he's violent (though his pal, DM, certainly is) but TC may be tacitly or even openly allowing or fostering abuses. That's a damn shame. I think he used to be a much much nicer guy.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. DM hits people because he can. He's like a 4 year old kid who was raised by people who not only didn't correct the child, but actually congratulated the child on his moxie and his wonderful spirit every time the child hit someone or talked back. Do that enough with people- children OR adults- you get a monster. DM has been in CofS since he was a kid. His lust for power and his attacks on people went unchecked. Do this enough with TC and he'll end up being corrupt as well, if it hasn't already happened.

That's why I believe in standing up to people. And this is exactly why bullies don't approve. It's like kids- kids hate being corrected but they need it if they are to straighten up and fly right. Sometimes, though, with adults and maybe even some kids (hopefully not, though) it's too late.

This is what happened to Hubbard, as well, although there are signs that even early on, he was irresponsible. But believe me, it only got worse. Kowtow enough to someone with those tendencies and it gets really really psychotic.

My friend's friend also told her that Nicole Kidman was a raving bitch. Hopefully, she's chilled out some since then but being a celeb and being catered to all the time- I doubt it. Ever read any of the books written by "assistants" to producers and other famous/powerful Hollywood types? Ick!

byte301

Crusader
Yeah. That one is just naughty sensationalism, latching onto Marty's innuendo and making more of it than was there in the original. Marty's a smart guy — he must have known this would happen out in tabloid land.

Paul

Paul,

Dawn (the lady who wrote the article) has this to say later in the comment section of the article:

"I may have jumped the gun with using “physically” in my title. I simply extrapolated what Marty said and applied it to Tom. We know Miscavige is being accused of horrific instances of physical abuse, what Marty said, which I think is both implied and implicit, was

“I have also counseled people who were abused by Tom personally – in matters that eerily resemble the behavior of Miscavige – to give Tom the time to get educated and do the right thing which I have convinced them he ultimately will do.”

The question isn’t whether Tom abused anyone, it’s what KIND of abuse. For me personally, reading Marty’s very articulate and well written response, he is suggesting, WITHOUT stating explicitly, that Tom has followed in the footsteps of his mentor and friend Miscavige. Really it’s a very clever way of getting the information out there about Tom, without getting himself into more hot water legally.

It’s a fine line we tread and I stated that from the beginning of the article. Hence my usage of a question mark. Marty brings up the matter, I point it out and now it’s up to the powers that be to disclose the truth. That’s journalism folks.

Comment by Dawn — August 27, 2009 @ 4:28 pm"

It’s a fine line we tread and I stated that from the beginning of the article. Hence my usage of a question mark. Marty brings up the matter, I point it out and now it’s up to the powers that be to disclose the truth. That’s journalism folks.

Comment by Dawn — August 27, 2009 @ 4:28 pm"

Pass the following on to Dawn:

H.L.Mencken, Edward R. Murrow, & Eric Sevareid would be sorry to hear it called journalism. But frankly you are mistaken. It isn't "journalism". It is "muckraking".

Journalism involves fact checking a story and publishing confirmed facts. Journalism does not entail miscasting information obtained from a blog to over emphasize seemingly sensationalist material so as to ensure "human interest" for the "infotainment" industry in which you choose to work.

What you do is called "rumormongering". That suits your industry's business model but has nothing to do with "journalism". Sue your school of journalism. They obviously failed to teach you anything valuable.

Mark A. Baker

Yeah. That one is just naughty sensationalism, latching onto Marty's innuendo and making more of it than was there in the original. Marty's a smart guy — he must have known this would happen out in tabloid land.

Paul

Yes, that's the word.... innuendo.
Very deliberately, and carefully, and skillfully crafted by Marty.

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
There are fighters, there are observers and there are critics.
For some of the latter...

“A critic is someone who never actually goes to the battle, yet who afterwards comes out shooting the wounded” Tyne Daly

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
There are fighters, there are observers and there are critics.
For some of the latter...

“A critic is someone who never actually goes to the battle, yet who afterwards comes out shooting the wounded” Tyne Daly

Tyne Daly! Quoting a TV actress!

You wrote some, and underlined it.

Exactly what kind of critic is the kind described as above, and what kind is not?

Are you able to spot the differences, similarities and identities here?

Let's see it.

Last edited:

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
I don't think anyone's saying he's violent
I am honestly not that sure. After stating:
I am a person who helps many people who have been abused by David Miscavige.

That includes someone you know personally, Mike Rinder, whom I witnessed Miscavige savagely beat on at least a dozen occasions. Bert, I am not talking about an isolated incident. I am referring to more than a dozen incidents wherein David Miscavige performed aggravated assault on the same person you and your lovely wife dined with at the Celebrity Center. Three witnesses to this type of activity on Miscavige’s part corroborated me a series of articles published in the St. Petersburg Times 21-23 June. You can view that multi-media presentation at the following link.
Marty goes on to state:
I have also counseled people who were abused by Tom personally – in matters that eerily resemble the behavior of Miscavige– to give Tom the time to get educated and do the right thing which I have convinced them he ultimately will do.
The parallel use of the word "abused" in both quotes might lead one to believe that Marty is asserting that, just as DM allegedly engaged in physical abuse, TC also allegedly engaged in physical abuse.

Unfortunately, the phrase "in matters that eerily resemble the behavior of Miscavige," and particularly the use of the word "matters," is ungrammatical and vague, to say the least. If the word "manner" had been used, I would say the implication of alleged physical violence by TC would be stronger. But the use of the word "matters" implies a parallel concerning when, or under what circumstances, the alleged abuse occurred, as opposed to what type of abuse (e.g., physical vs. verbal or emotional) allegedly occurred.

On the other hand, when discussing TC's "abuse" Marty says it "resemble the behavior of Miscavige."

Let me put it this way, if TC sued Marty for slander, libel or defamation, I am not confident that Marty would prevail on the argument that it is not a rational inference or implication of his letter that TC engaged in violence or physical abuse.

If TC wants to sue Marty for slander, libel or defamation on the ground that a rational inference or implication of Marty's letter is that TC engaged in violence or physical abuse, I think TC may have a case.

Last edited:

Sassy

Patron Meritorious
I think if Marty was hoping to endear himself to Tom Cruise, perhaps he could have selected a better word than "plummet" when referring to Tom's image & career :confused2:

The woman who refers to Nicole Kidman as a "raving bitch" should disclose what timeframe that was. Think it's when she had decided she'd had enough of the cult and that maybe she would have to agree to leave her children behind? That would turn most people into a raving bitch, right?? :unsure:

I am secretly wishing that Marty is getting legal advice from Katie's father Martin, who is an attorney. Marty's letter almost smacks of a desperate father picking a fight legally & anonymously with the mighty TC & DM in order to get his daughter & granddaughter rescued from a cult :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

byte301

Crusader
Dawn has been a great friend to us in our fight against the cult. She has written several articles supporting Anonymous and critical of the cult. She has followed the whole thing very closely.

This is the first time she has "jumped the gun" (her words). Please don't assume that she did it on purpose since she has been totally professional in every story I've ever read from her.

I think Marty is inferring that TC was violent but that's just my opinion. I think that reporters probably have their own opinions as well and sometimes they slip and show those opinions.

MostlyLurker

Patron Meritorious
The woman who refers to Nicole Kidman as a "raving bitch" should disclose what timeframe that was. Think it's when she had decided she'd had enough of the cult and that maybe she would have to agree to leave her children behind? That would turn most people into a raving bitch, right?? :unsure:

Exactly. Also, I wouldn't be so sure knowing it was coming from a scientologist. I have heard all sort of criticism spread with the purpose to DA someone leaving the group. They have to explain out with DA material why a person leave, because people ask. I was told by an OT scientologist that Nicole was having an affair and that's why Tom left her.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Exactly. Also, I wouldn't be so sure knowing it was coming from a scientologist. I have heard all sort of criticism spread with the purpose to DA someone leaving the group. They have to explain out with DA material why a person leave, because people ask. I was told by an OT scientologist that Nicole was having an affair and that's why Tom left her.

Sorry to burst your bubble there, buddy, but she's not a Scientologist. Doesn't know jackshit about Scientology.

Believe it or not, a lot of my friends are non Scn'ists. Most, in fact. And their friends, too, of course.

And, no, this was said years before they split up. That's evident from my post, if you'd care to read it again.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I think if Marty was hoping to endear himself to Tom Cruise, perhaps he could have selected a better word than "plummet" when referring to Tom's image & career :confused2:

I am secretly wishing that Marty is getting legal advice from Katie's father Martin, who is an attorney. Marty's letter almost smacks of a desperate father picking a fight legally & anonymously with the mighty TC & DM in order to get his daughter & granddaughter rescued from a cult :thumbsup:

It's quite obvious from my post as to when this was taking place. When were Cruise and Kidman living together and married? In the 90s. When did NK leave CofS? After the 90s. So there goes that excuse for her shitty behavior.

Kidman's being or not being part of the cult has nothing to do with anything. The nanny was not and never had been a Scn'ist of any sort. Had the nanny been a church member, I'd have said so.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
From Marty's letter “I have also counseled people who were abused by Tom personally – in matters that eerily resemble the behavior of Miscavige – to give Tom the time to get educated and do the right thing which I have convinced them he ultimately will do.”

Why are we assuming it was physical abuse ... Miscavige apparently does a fair amount of verbal abusing too and that is far more likely to be what Marty was 'mentioning' IMHO.

Tom Cruise is a lot of things, but he is certainly not silly and I doubt very much he would have physically abused anyone.

:no:

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
Why are we assuming it was physical abuse ... Miscavige apparently does a fair amount of verbal abusing too and that is far more likely to be what Marty was 'mentioning' IMHO.

Tom Cruise is a lot of things, but he is certainly not silly and I doubt very much he would have physically abused anyone.

:no:

But I think Marty implies that he has done just that, which could start a lawsuit. I, for one, assume that Marty witnessed TC abuse people while visiting Scientology premises purely going by his comment.

This could turn into something big and be a real leg-bazooka for the cult. But it probably will not.

Do I want Marty instead of DM in charge of the cult? The answer is "no". I want the cult to be destroyed and DM is achieving that and is the best person for its rapid destruction. But if it came to a big legal battle between Marty and DM then Marty would end up winning and the membership would put him in charge of Scientology.