On journalists joining the Sea Org

Undercover

I've been researching Scientology from the inside as an active "parishioner" on and off for the past few years, having thus far trained and audited up to Grade II. I've kept a daily journal of my observations and experiences, and while I've collected a massive amount of very interesting and original material, I still haven't much that I'd say would provide much insight into daily life in the Sea Org. I've been regged constantly to join the SO and so far I've been able to resist the temptation to go through with it all the way - I have done the application (along with meter check and OCA/IQ/Aptitude/Leadership tests) a few times during this time and was able to pass, but I avoided signing the contract and routing into the EPF since covertly researching Scientology as a public is obviously very different and less risky than doing that as an SO member.

I'm not worried about the meter checks, since the meter never seems to catch me when I lie (about having done drugs, for example, or having worked as a journalist), and I'm not even worried about the background check since they've had my SS# on file and I know for a fact they've pulled my records (only once, the second time I filled out an application). Getting caught doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, since it'd likely just result in being thrown out and declared an SP. What does worry me is making mistakes that would prevent me from getting promoted into those SO orgs where the major problems and abuses are carried out. Ideally this would mean working at Int Base, but this seems highly unlikely and almost impossible at this point.

Has any journalist or writer investigated the SO from within within the last 10 or 20 years (as a member) that would provide some help in this? Any thoughts on outlining a strategy or words of advice?

Purple Rain

Crusader
I've been researching Scientology from the inside as an active "parishioner" on and off for the past few years, having thus far trained and audited up to Grade II. I've kept a daily journal of my observations and experiences, and while I've collected a massive amount of very interesting and original material, I still haven't much that I'd say would provide much insight into daily life in the Sea Org. I've been regged constantly to join the SO and so far I've been able to resist the temptation to go through with it all the way - I have done the application (along with meter check and OCA/IQ/Aptitude/Leadership tests) a few times during this time and was able to pass, but I avoided signing the contract and routing into the EPF since covertly researching Scientology as a public is obviously very different and less risky than doing that as an SO member.

I'm not worried about the meter checks, since the meter never seems to catch me when I lie (about having done drugs, for example, or having worked as a journalist), and I'm not even worried about the background check since they've had my SS# on file and I know for a fact they've pulled my records (only once, the second time I filled out an application). Getting caught doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, since it'd likely just result in being thrown out and declared an SP. What does worry me is making mistakes that would prevent me from getting promoted into those SO orgs where the major problems and abuses are carried out. Ideally this would mean working at Int Base, but this seems highly unlikely and almost impossible at this point.

Has any journalist or writer investigated the SO from within within the last 10 or 20 years (as a member) that would provide some help in this? Any thoughts on outlining a strategy or words of advice?

Not that I know of. You would have to have a whole lot more privacy than a regular Sea Org member to journal safely - think Winston Smith in 1984. I would actually think what you're planning could be quite dangerous. They had no qualms in running Marc Headley off the road on a motorcycle when he was escaping, for instance. It could make a fascinating story, however, and they must be quite short of people these days.

Undercover

Dude, you need to get a life. Seriously.

TG1

I suppose the same could be said of anyone who spends time here discussing Scientology, or of journalists like Tony Ortega who have literally spent years writing and researching Scientology, even at the expense of their own careers. Or any of the many other Scientology critics who have sacrificed countless years pursuing their investigations of Scientology. But thanks for the sentiment all the same.

Undercover

Not that I know of. You would have to have a whole lot more privacy than a regular Sea Org member to journal safely - think Winston Smith in 1984. I would actually think what you're planning could be quite dangerous. They had no qualms in running Marc Headley off the road on a motorcycle when he was escaping, for instance. It could make a fascinating story, however, and they must be quite short of people these days.

I don't know about the management orgs, but the Sea Org members I've encountered at the service orgs are all given smartphones for work, and those who can afford it are also allowed to have their own. They're also allowed personal laptops, but I believe they have to have permission or what have you. The safest time to do any serious writing would obviously be during those times that one could take a break from the base on Sunday mornings.

I can't imagine that at Int it would be very easy to even attempt to keep a journal, though it doesn't appear that ordinary Sea Org bases operate anything like that.

Purple Rain

Crusader
I don't know about the management orgs, but the Sea Org members I've encountered at the service orgs are all given smartphones for work, and those who can afford it are also allowed to have their own. They're also allowed personal laptops, but I believe they have to have permission or what have you. The safest time to do any serious writing would obviously be during those times that one could take a break from the base on Sunday mornings.

I can't imagine that at Int it would be very easy to even attempt to keep a journal, though it doesn't appear that ordinary Sea Org bases operate anything like that.

Smartphones would be quite workable because you could type notes in a toilet cubicle or something, or record messages to yourself as you're walking down the street and shoot them off to a skydrive or something, making sure nothing was left on the phone itself. I'm not sure about smartphones really because my phone is a bit intellectually challenged, but there are definite possibilities if you can have one of those. When I was in the Sea Org back in the early nineties smartphones were not du jour.

If you wanted some half way point you could get yourself recruited for a Class V org-based Sea Org post such as Flag Rep, FBO or LRH Communicator. That would certainly get you the EPF experience and some experience with cont management and ethics/discipline whilst having the relative freedom of a staff member whenever you were sent back to your org on post. Flag Rep is a pretty good post because you are equally ranked with the ED and can call down a Sea Org mission upon their head if they give you attitude. Not that I ever did that, because I was a bit of a mouse.

TG1

Angelic Poster
I suppose the same could be said of anyone who spends time here discussing Scientology, or of journalists like Tony Ortega who have literally spent years writing and researching Scientology, even at the expense of their own careers. Or any of the many other Scientology critics who have sacrificed countless years pursuing their investigations of Scientology. But thanks for the sentiment all the same.

BTW, welcome to ESMB.

Yes, I do think there's a danger of wasting all or a portion of one's life obsessing about Scientology, even as an ex or a never-was or a critic or a journalist.

As with many things, it's a matter of degrees.

IMHO, someone who's actually "studying Scientology" (it's hard not to type that without air quotes) in a real Scientology org as a lark and knowing it's all bullshit -- pretty strange.

On the other hand, if you're not just doing this as some bizarre hobby and you're a working journalist (make your living at it), have you published articles about your Scientology training experiences yet?

TG1

Smartphones would be quite workable because you could type notes in a toilet cubicle or something, or record messages to yourself as you're walking down the street and shoot them off to a skydrive or something, making sure nothing was left on the phone itself. I'm not sure about smartphones really because my phone is a bit intellectually challenged, but there are definite possibilities if you can have one of those. When I was in the Sea Org back in the early nineties smartphones were not du jour.

If you wanted some half way point you could get yourself recruited for a Class V org-based Sea Org post such as Flag Rep, FBO or LRH Communicator. That would certainly get you the EPF experience and some experience with cont management and ethics/discipline whilst having the relative freedom of a staff member whenever you were sent back to your org on post. Flag Rep is a pretty good post because you are equally ranked with the ED and can call down a Sea Org mission upon their head if they give you attitude. Not that I ever did that, because I was a bit of a mouse.

BUT... isn't their phone system their own private phone system??? at least at Int, Twin Peaks, etc.?

Not to mention all the cameras and listening devices built in here, there and everywhere! :no:

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Just act like a "big being".

Seriously, if you simply join and are articulate and want to be an "executive", you have a good chance of moving up as long as you can show some results.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
It would be a large investment of time, and there are lots of Scn expose's coming out. Do you really think a publisher is going to pay enough for it to be worth the time investment?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Any thoughts on outlining a strategy or words of advice?

Someone who was in the SO for years and recently left would have a far better view and understanding of things than a relatively new infiltrator.

The only things that I see you could possibly bring to the mix are:

1. A totally up-to-date view of how things are from the inside (somewhat) in 2013.
2. Any credibility you may have already established as a non-Scio journalist for some kind of reputable outlet.
3. AUDIO/VIDEO of the inside!

1 & 2 are pretty meh. #3 is the biggie and very rare, apart from events/fundraisers etc. Videos of normal, everyday face-ripping staff meetings or product conferences would be good. :)

Paul

OhMG

Patron Meritorious
3. AUDIO/VIDEO of the inside!

1 & 2 are pretty meh. #3 is the biggie and very rare, apart from events/fundraisers etc. Videos of normal, everyday face-ripping staff meetings or product conferences would be good. :)

Paul

This.

Anything else wouldn't be worth the time. Only problem is that Int is in CA. As a journalist you know what that means as far as hidden video goes. :no:

Lulu Belle

Moonbat

I have to say, this whole post seems very strange to me.

If you are undercover as a journalist, why would you posting that you are posing as a public in an org and asking questions about secretly sneaking into the SO ...

...on an open ex-Scientology message board that is monitored by OSA?

Does this make any sense at all?

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron

5mg Valium will make your needle float through the sec-checks...

Best advice I might give you.

regards
arnie lerma

OhMG

Patron Meritorious
5mg Valium will make your needle float through the sec-checks...

Best advice I might give you.

regards
arnie lerma

You don't need to go that extreme. I few minutes practice with someone (while you watch the e-meter) and you can cause it to "float" whenever you like.

Dilettante

Patron Meritorious
What a novel idea! What are you investigating exactly? What daily life is like for SO? The only way to get that is putting some skin in the game and cozy up to an SO. You have to move in with a scio, get a job working for scio's, you aren't really a prospect until they know all angles and aspects of you. I assume you are not dating or living with a scio....that would be a VGI to scio's that you are invested. I am not suggesting you mockupa2d to gather intel. If you have time to sit at a computer and you are unaccounted for-not likely you are a hot prospect nor is anyone going to share their wackadoodle OT stories that they're not supposed to talk about but you're special so they can tell you about amazing abilities.

You have no family with which they can leverage.
You probably have not given them enough of an overt for the folder.
You are not romantically involved with a scio that they can manipulate.
Your livliehood does not depend on their acceptance of you.

You cannot skate through scio and expect the inner doors to open. Too many layers and the initiations are hard to fake, I don't mean the sec checks, I mean putting it ALL on the line. I'm not saying you don't have what it takes but if you have critical thinking skills you are already disqualified. :duh:

Go for the post in your org that requires you to be an OOT at an AO within two weeks of quitting your job and landing on the purif ic's couch. No billion year contract and your training will make your journal read like time place form and event.

:blush:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Go for the post in your org that requires you to be an OOT at an AO within two weeks of quitting your job and landing on the purif ic's couch. No billion year contract and your training will make your journal read like time place form and event.

Heh. Typical life as an OOT will very rapidly bring about a wonderment as to how anyone puts up with this shit for months/years on end!

Paul