What's new

Once upon a time....

ttamaad

Silver Meritorious Patron
Once upon a time

Sydney Day Org was a fun place to work. it even had its own Touch Rugby side playing in the local competition. Every Sunday morning the team and band of supporters turned up at the game and not surprisingly, usually won handsomely.

I say not surprisingly as we had some pretty handy rugby players. A couple of us were playing the real game... Rugby Union for the Coogee Rugby Club.

Most teams thought they were going to have an easy day of it... playing the weird church mob with their blue tops with a scn cross plastered across the front but most came and then departed, dejected by another loss.

The Scn team had some big boys to handle the hard yards, David Bloomberg and Steve Stevens from the Tours Org based at Castlereagh St. were both big and yet still had some slinky skills. We even managed a ring in or two... Joe Reiche was a Rugby League player who was always on the verge of breaking into the NRL. He was on lines and drafted straight into the team. Nick Cramey was fast enough once you got the ball into his hands and if he had the space would run around most people. There were others too, Trevor Eade and Peter Crutchfield were another two who could pull out a blinder. Greg Tweedie had a great range of rugby skills so the fast guys always ran off him... and there were others. It was a well balanced team

I remember one game, the other team all arrived to play and most of them wore mouth guards so we guessed it was going to be a brutal affair and we weren't wrong. There was some pretty heavy stuff happening for a game of touch. It got sorted just before half time when some good punches were thrown and someone from both sides got sent off. Everyone enjoyed themselves. We ran out the winners.

Our Sideline supporters included Pat and Harry Bloomberg and the CO FOLO (at the time) Phyll Stevens.

Nothing like it!!!!

ttamaad

Not sure about now... but I am sure that there will be many here that will know

Hopefully we'll hear from someone more knowledgeable :yes:

Carmel

Crusader
They were such good times in Sydney in those days!

You guys were all young and such silly boys then - still free to muck around! I have fond memories of all you lot - flexing your pecs, bi-ceps, and abs (with open shirts sometimes).....in the Div 2 area - all trying to out do eachother! (competitive bunch for sure! :duh: )

Being on Sydney staff back then, was certainly a lot of fun - and the touch footy team was awesome!

ttamaad

yeah, Ceedia, we sometimes forget the great times we had, as a bunch of young blokes and blokesses. Although the reason we originally got together has turned to shit, the fact that we all met and managed to stay in contact (or come back into contact) is testament to the friendships we all made at the time.

I wouldnt change any of those connections. They are becoming more valuable as times go on.

and hey, we did cause some serious shit didnt we :thumbsup: :happydance:

Do you remember the time that those water pistols came into being. All the Qual boys bought water pistols and broke them down and remade them so they were small and easily hidden and then it was all on for young and old. I was auditing in the HGC and Paul Shobel and I had to rush out and buy a water pistol each and do the same just so we could compete.

Taking a PC to the examiner became a mission as the PC wasn't allowed to see what really happened... I usually got soaked but payback was great. Robert Illich was the examiner and as he was examining the PC, as soon as he said "yr needles floating" he got blasted. There were no prisoners. In the end, I think it was Pat Bloomberg, banned everyone from having a water pistol in their possession. I can think of some 12 people that carried a side arm during those days.

Kevin Dyer was the Cramming Officer and he would be cramming someone and everyone would attack him from all sides with the water pistols... he would sit there at his desk, his leg stuck out to the side, getting squirted and soaked while the person in cramming continued M9ing some HCOB

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron

It got sorted just before half time when some good punches were thrown and someone from both sides got sent off. Everyone enjoyed themselves. We ran out the winners.

:hysterical:

You've just gotta love those Aussies, any excuse for a punch-up. :eyeroll:

Of course, if there was an English team there, we would have shown you how to play Rugby the proper way. :coolwink:

Axiom142

klidov

O.K.-can someone explain this to a Yank?

How come for weeks before a Rugby match everyone whomps the stuffings out of each other, even children & women get rabid for their team, during the game you Guys try to rip off noses, and gouge each other's eyeballs....

Then after the game everyone goes out for a pint? AND buys each other drinks?

What is up with that??!?

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron

How come for weeks before a Rugby match everyone whomps the stuffings out of each other, even children & women get rabid for their team, during the game you Guys try to rip off noses, and gouge each other's eyeballs....

What is up with that??!?

Klidov,

It's what real men do. :)

As most people will be aware, we Brits love a good punch-up and rugby was invented as a way for us to indulge in our favourite pastime while dressing it as a ‘sport’ and appearing civilised. Getting hurt is part of the fun, so we don’t bear any ill-will towards our opponents.

Then, we can indulge in another of our favourite pastimes, getting drunk with our new ‘best mates’.

And of course, the colonials have to copy us and try and play rugby as well. So, every few years we have to teach them a lesson for being so uppity. :coolwink:

Axiom142

ttamaad

Klidov,

And of course, the colonials have to copy us and try and play rugby as well. So, every few years we have to teach them a lesson for being so uppity. :coolwink:

Axiom142

Yes every few years... actually its a bit longer than that, but hey, who's counting and I'm enjoying a drink with my new buddy Axiom!!

So Klidov, he has nailed it in one. Thats what happens. What happens on the field actually does usually stay there. Sure it gets expanded upon when the drinking starts but its all in good fun.

With the advent of professional sport, some of the spirit has gone from the top level but down in the Club levels, this comradeship still goes on today. Even after you give playing away, you can still enter any rugby club and you will be inundated with new drinking buddies all wanting to have a chat.

ttamaad

Of course, if there was an English team there, we would have shown you how to play Rugby the proper way. :coolwink:

Axiom142

Oh and I think that the Poms are fantastic rugby players at showing the world how to play rugby the proper way... they have managed to beat the All Blacks let me see

Ok, they have played each other 31 times since the game they play in heaven was devised by God himself (not LRH as has been bandied around of recent times)

of those 31 times, The Poms (England to all you that have missed out in wordclearing the derivation of the word England)... yes the Poms have won a whopping 6 times... yes that is six!!!! the All Blacks have won 24 times and there has been one draw (tied game)

Would you like me to go on... the All Blacks have score 337 more points (733-396) ON these counts alone, if England were a Scn team, they would have been RPFed BEFORE the game actually started :D

Oh bring it on!!! Sorry I digress from this threads original intention but hey, were are talking Rugby here

Carmel

Crusader
yeah, Ceedia, we sometimes forget the great times we had, as a bunch of young blokes and blokesses. Although the reason we originally got together has turned to shit, the fact that we all met and managed to stay in contact (or come back into contact) is testament to the friendships we all made at the time.

I wouldnt change any of those connections. They are becoming more valuable as times go on.

and hey, we did cause some serious shit didnt we :thumbsup: :happydance:

Do you remember the time that those water pistols came into being. All the Qual boys bought water pistols and broke them down and remade them so they were small and easily hidden and then it was all on for young and old. I was auditing in the HGC and Paul Shobel and I had to rush out and buy a water pistol each and do the same just so we could compete.

Taking a PC to the examiner became a mission as the PC wasn't allowed to see what really happened... I usually got soaked but payback was great. Robert Illich was the examiner and as he was examining the PC, as soon as he said "yr needles floating" he got blasted. There were no prisoners. In the end, I think it was Pat Bloomberg, banned everyone from having a water pistol in their possession. I can think of some 12 people that carried a side arm during those days.

Kevin Dyer was the Cramming Officer and he would be cramming someone and everyone would attack him from all sides with the water pistols... he would sit there at his desk, his leg stuck out to the side, getting squirted and soaked while the person in cramming continued M9ing some HCOB
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
I'd forgotten all about the water pistols! They were a hoot! Dyer used to get so cranky, and Illich was a classic with his tactics of retaliation!

You guys blew it with that game, when ya took it too far and decided to get the "wet t-shirt effect" on the girls. I remember one day a couple of us falling prey to a few "squirts" from you blokes and being sprung by the CO shortly after. She smiled at first, but then said "that's it, game's over". We were sent up to HCO, where we had help stuffing tissues down our bras, before we were sent back on post! We were all pissing ourselves laughing while contemplating a good come back.

So much fun and laughter back then, but any kind of fun, was certainly dampened in 83 - and it diminished on a steep decline from there on out! Your timing on getting out was pretty well on the mark!

Carmel

Crusader

What is up with that??!?
Hey Klidov, this old quote (from an author unknown to me) describes it well:

"Rugby rests entirely on the enthusiasm of players and ex-players; Its gate is microscopic; Its monetary return to players and officials is nil; It is fiercely and uncompromisingly amateur, the cult of free men who love their fellows with unparalleled ferocity. No other game permits men so to plough their opponents into the ground and then cheerfully help them to their feet to suffer like treatment in reverse.

For boys it is the game for the sunshine of their lives, when the world is full and round and there is health and wonder in the air; a game of the mind as well the body, and a test and source of character.

Rugby inspires all those qualities of skill and courage, magnanimity, cooperation and unselfishness that gives the game its universal appeal to men of free spirit."

Hey, "the game they play in heaven" - for sure! :coolwink:

Carmel

Crusader
:hysterical:

You've just gotta love those Aussies, any excuse for a punch-up. :eyeroll:

Axiom142

:eyeroll: Crikey! What? The proper way? The Johnny Wilkenson kicking game for example? :grouch:

Maybe you pommies had to change the dynamics of the game over the years, cause you lot have gotten a bit 'soft' my dear! :p

Come visit down under, and we'll show you the real way to play the game that's played in heaven! :coolwink:

Stan D'Teque

Patron with Honors
Memories!! i actually still had a blue T-shirt until about four years ago - still used to get comments whenever I wore it. And the waterpistols - being chased around by Nick Cramey and his fellow Royal Pistoleers. Most pleasurable moment was finally getting Paul Schobel back for several soakings by ambushing him just as he'd sat down in the Auditor Admin room with a folder. i had two water-pistols in each hand and it was sooooooo nice to soak him and all he could do was cover up the folder so IT didn't get wet. Great days indeed!

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh and I think that the Poms are fantastic rugby players at showing the world how to play rugby the proper way... they have managed to beat the All Blacks let me see

Ok, they have played each other 31 times since the game they play in heaven was devised by God himself (not LRH as has been bandied around of recent times)

of those 31 times, The Poms (England to all you that have missed out in wordclearing the derivation of the word England)... yes the Poms have won a whopping 6 times... yes that is six!!!! the All Blacks have won 24 times and there has been one draw (tied game)

Would you like me to go on... the All Blacks have score 337 more points (733-396) ON these counts alone, if England were a Scn team, they would have been RPFed BEFORE the game actually started :D

Oh bring it on!!! Sorry I digress from this threads original intention but hey, were are talking Rugby here

This is too easy! :stir:

Would you happen to be a Kiwi by any chance ttamaad? :stickpoke:

Typical - banging on about past glories. Here's a lesson for you - you are only as good as your next game!

And, if you are going to quote stats, how many World Cup finals have the All Blacks contested in the last 2 competitions?

Playing namby-pamby, arty-farty, ‘pretty’ rugby might please the crowd, but it doesn’t always get results, does it?

:eyeroll: Crikey! What? The proper way? The Johnny Wilkenson kicking game for example? :grouch:

Maybe you pommies had to change the dynamics of the game over the years, cause you lot have gotten a bit 'soft' my dear! :p

Come visit down under, and we'll show you the real way to play the game that's played in heaven! :coolwink:

Kiwis are undoubtedly better at the running game. Some might say that this was because they have so much practice chasing the sheep for, ah, other recreational purposes. :coolwink:

Besides, all our most athletic sportsmen play The Chosen Game (all hail The Gunners), which the Antipodeans don’t seem to bother with very much. And quite right too, this game takes real skill. :yes:

I mean, what kind of name is ‘Socceroos’? :eyeroll: Dunno what the Kiwis call their team, probably the ‘Pukeko Clowns’ or similar. :D

Axiom142

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
So much fun and laughter back then, but any kind of fun, was certainly dampened in 83 - and it diminished on a steep decline from there on out! Your timing on getting out was pretty well on the mark!

Ceedia,

This says a lot about what the CoS has become. Doing Scientology isn't fun anymore. What happened to 'The Spirit of Play'? :no:

You guys blew it with that game, when ya took it too far and decided to get the "wet t-shirt effect" on the girls.

Hmmm, maybe this could be reinstated to get the public (men at least) back into the orgs? :)

Axiom142

Carmel

Crusader
.....deleted.......
I mean, what kind of name is ‘Socceroos’? ...deleted....
Axiom142
"Socceroos' is the name for our national soccer team! (a bunch of pansy Brit descendants, obviously - who play that game you are referring to!). Our national rugby team (for the game that takes balls to play, and the game that counts) is called the "Wallabies" - and while they are a force to be reckoned with, they don't cut it like the kiwi "All Blacks" do. Who gives a toss about soccer? Not many of us, that's for sure!

Just for the record! :coolwink:

Last edited:

Feral

Rogue male
Besides, all our most athletic sportsmen play The Chosen Game (all hail The Gunners), which the Antipodeans don’t seem to bother with very much. And quite right too, this game takes real skill. :yes:

I mean, what kind of name is ‘Socceroos’? :eyeroll: Dunno what the Kiwis call their team, probably the ‘Pukeko Clowns’ or similar. :D

Axiom142

HAHAHA.

Ax, You know we only play 'soccer' in the southern hemisphere so that you POMEs don't get lonely! It's not a real game!:no:

BTW, you know what POME (correct/traditional spelling) is an acronym for? Prisoners Of Mother England!:hysterical:

Enjoy your English winter mate! I'll be thinking of you while I go surfing!