What's new

Oncebitten, Randomx & me in Spanish short doco

Glenda

Crusader
A friend brought to my attention that a Spanish documentary maker has used some footage of me, Oncebitten and Randomx from the NZ How to Spot a Cult documentary we were (heavily) involved in back in 2008.

I remain very proud of us. And now we find the work lives on. May it continue to help keep people out of scientology.

Oncebitten: 3:58 to 4:53 and 5:25 to 6:19
Randomx: 9:29 to 10:11
Me: 8:26 to 8:58.

As I do not speak Spanish and have not done a full translation of the vid I only know what I am saying (my friend sent a translation).

Here is a link to the film makers Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/losdoqmentalistas/

Here is the vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Gf_ytH44k

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Cool!

Hi Glitter Glenda,

I'd like you link me to the original documentary you were part of.. didn't see it.
Was it really in 2008 ????

I am too proud of you :yes:

Glenda

Crusader
Cool!

Hi Glitter Glenda,

I'd like you link me to the original documentary you were part of.. didn't see it.
Was it really in 2008 ????

I am too proud of you :yes:

Thank you. There are tight copyright issues surrounding the documentary. Any copies that appeared online were always taken down fast. It was a legal nightmare in several ways, not just because scientology were yapping at the NZ production teams ankles and threatening to take me to court. The cult failed. All I will say is I am possibly way smarter than the cult anticipated. :wink2:

I have a DVD copy which I am allowed to have and show for specific purposes. Gibson Group own the footage but they won't slap me if I privately show friends for educational purposes (and other fancy legal reasons).

I will get a link sorted for your private viewing. Give me a day or 2 to get my act together. And remind me if I forget. :)

p.s. you will need your own popcorn. :p

Glenda

Crusader
It takes a little bit of rebel to do what we did. We hit so much shit from the cult. The cult tried to tie us all into inert knots. When I think about what we did - and I include all the production/legal crew in that - I get a huge sense of pride. We simply rocked! And told OSA to go suck eggs. Nicely of course. :wink2:

Playing this loud. Real loud! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fICcfY3r7YE

Free Being Me

Crusader
I've watched a lot of cult exposure documentaries through the years. The How to Spot a Cult documentary is probably the best doco I've ever seen in terms of first hand testimony, information, and a compelling story weaving together ex-cultists exposing what happened to them. If you have an opportunity to watch it do not pass it up.

Glenda

Crusader
I've watched a lot of cult exposure documentaries through the years. The How to Spot a Cult documentary is probably the best doco I've ever seen in terms of first hand testimony, information, and a compelling story weaving together ex-cultists exposing what happened to them. If you have an opportunity to watch it do not pass it up.

Thanks FBM. The production crew were some of the best in the industry. They took their time and left no stones unturned type thing. I believe they worked on the production for about one year. They had so much footage of various ex-culties (not just ex-scientologists) and had a hell of a job editing it down into 2x one hour episodes. That's partly why there wasn't much footage of me. They had so much good stuff from others. Another reason was I literally got filmed in the last few days before they went into the editing suite. I was an 11th hour arrival to the project. And I came with well-predicted legal issues.

Those legal issues presented an interesting scenario. Apart from the obvious that it could cost the production company a bucket-load of money if the legal stuff proceeded (and we were fully prepared to go all the way to the court system and were gearing up in that direction), there was also the huge amount of time and energy it took to deal with the pesky cults legal noise.

Another aspect on the timing was the damn cult did what I thought they would and waited until the last minute to do their legal threats about using footage of me. That no doubt influenced what the editing team felt comfortable using while we sorted out the legal stuff.

Meanwhile all through that I was having a fairly intense break-down. I can laugh about it now but back then, it was dark days. My point is the production crew were simply amazing professionals on so many levels. They dealt with making this documentary like the extraordinary creative professionals they are.

RogerB

Crusader
It takes a little bit of rebel to do what we did. We hit so much shit from the cult. The cult tried to tie us all into inert knots. When I think about what we did - and I include all the production/legal crew in that - I get a huge sense of pride. We simply rocked! And told OSA to go suck eggs. Nicely of course. :wink2:

Playing this loud. Real loud! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fICcfY3r7YE

Yes! And you should be proud!

When this all first happened, I was way pissed that the documentary guys and local TV peeps chickened out on making this documentary public.

I know you put a lot into it . . . and it took real guts!

But good for you . . . you have grown so, so much since those earlier darker days.

Rog

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Playing this loud. Real loud!

Normally I love your choice of vids sweetie, but in this case not so much. While we were on the RPF together, Dart Smohen used to play this song morning, noon and night, day after day. You can have too much of a good thing you know, and whenever I hear it I go right back there again.

Glenda

Crusader
Yes! And you should be proud!

When this all first happened, I was way pissed that the documentary guys and local TV peeps chickened out on making this documentary public.

I know you put a lot into it . . . and it took real guts!

But good for you . . . you have grown so, so much since those earlier darker days.

Rog

Thank you Roger. It did air on NZ TV and there was even a re-run of it a couple of years later. Internationally it doesn't seem to have had any distribution though. And of course on the internet the production company held it on tight reins. When I get a bit of time I may make some inquiries.

Yeah I have changed a lot the past few years. I hardly recognise the "old" Glenda. I am so glad I did the documentary because it was a move that has helped in ways that are often not apparent on the surface of things. It sure as hell wasn't all about me. Even though I was very messed up at the time the doco was made, I still had a strong sense of "things future".

The strangest thing I learned from that experience: I am a very private person. Which consistently baffles people because I can be so "out there" sometimes. I.e. I write stuff straight from my heart and don't hold back. But in my real life I am at my best behind the camera (not in front of it) and thoroughly enjoy solitude.

The other big thing I learned from being part of the doco was I am fearless where the cult is concerned. There is so fear in so much of how the cult conducts itself. I was able to go deeply into all that and make sense of it. If that makes sense. :)

Glenda

Crusader
Normally I love your choice of vids sweetie, but in this case not so much. While we were on the RPF together, Dart Smohen used to play this song morning, noon and night, day after day. You can have too much of a good thing you know, and whenever I hear it I go right back there again.

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I totally get how powerful music can be. I was sitting in a waiting room recently and THE song that the guy I married played on our very first date came on the receptionists radio (or whatever it was she was listening to). I sat there trying to hold back the tears. All these years later a song can impact, out of the blue. :)

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Sorry, sorry, sorry. I totally get how powerful music can be. I was sitting in a waiting room recently and THE song that the guy I married played on our very first date came on the receptionists radio (or whatever it was she was listening to). I sat there trying to hold back the tears. All these years later a song can impact, out of the blue. :)

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me that despite my memory being shot to pieces generally speaking, out of the blue I'll hear a song I've totally forgotten about and haven't heard in fifty years and find I can remember it note-for-note and word-for-word. It really does astound me. Where on earth has that information been lying dormant for all of that time, never mind all the thoughts and emotions connected with it?

Glenda

Crusader
Whoa! Here's Gary. :clap::clap::clap:

Gary Scott was the extraordinary Producer of the documentary I participated in back in 2009. I spent many hours on the phone with him, bashing our way through the details of my interview and also the legal drama the cult threw at me and Gibson Group (production company).

I've never seen this interview before this morning.

He speaks briefly about the cult documentary starting at 9:22.

My transcript:
"The most stressful one I've done recently was How to Spot a Cult for TV3, where, you know, you're dealing with people who have; a) been through traumatic experiences and; b) you've got some quite strong enemies who don't really like what you're doing, to wit scientology. So, you know, that was quite involving."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Okg7ggcfiE

Thank you Gary. For your perseverance, your patience, your kindness, your stunning intelligence and for having such a strong awesome team around you. xxx

:clap::clap::clap: