What's new

OPEN CALL TO EX COMMUNITY: Louis Theroux working on Scientology documentary

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
OPEN CALL TO EX COMMUNITY: Louis Theroux working on Scientology documentary

Digital Spy: Louis Theroux working on Scientology documentary
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a550272/louis-theroux-working-on-scientology-documentary.html

Louis Theroux is working on a documentary about Scientology.

The British broadcaster put out a request on Twitter today (February 10) for Scientologists who would be interested in getting involved.

He posted: "Open call to any #Scientologists out there. I would love to speak to you for a documentary I am working on. About Scientology.

"The idea is it for it to be a non-judgmental inquiry into Scientology beliefs and practices, from inside the Church," he continued.

Further details of the documentary are yet to be announced.

He has previously worked on a number of documentaries for BBC Two, including Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends and When Louis Met....
https://twitter.com/louistheroux

attachment.php

attachment.php

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Well, I wish him luck but we all know he won't get any participation if he also features bitter defrocked apostates in his doc.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
His docos can be interesting, he tends to 'go where angels fear to tread...' I think that's exactly what he is doing!

I think it would be fascinating because he is not afraid to ask questions!

:biggrin:

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
I note he isn't seeking Cheapzoners. But then, I suppose John Sweeney already did that angle.

Paid up, present-day Scientology victims... Better hurry, Mr Theroux; Hubbardists a vanishing species.

MissWog

His docos can be interesting, he tends to 'go where angels fear to tread...' I think that's exactly what he is doing!

I'm all for it!
His twitter replies were kinda interesting.. One person even told him only OSA can take an interview.

still here

Patron with Honors
I love Louis!

He does wonderful programmes, and always from "inside". He has covered every weird and creepy practice he can find, and although he tries to come across as very friendly and non-judgemental he deftly portrays the insanity at work! (he did Westboro baptists)

His programmes normally consist of him securing an "in" somewhere, and being talked to and invited along. I can't see that he has, I doubt the established COS would have any more of this, so it could be just families, or people who "practice", I am sure he hopes to line up a few. I am not on twitter but it might be an idea to ask if he has, I suspect not, as he is asking for Scientologists to come to him to be involved.

Be interesting if any do - I am sure BlackRob could help with some candidates! :coolwink:

CommunicatorIC

I note he isn't seeking Cheapzoners. But then, I suppose John Sweeney already did that angle.

Paid up, present-day Scientology victims... Better hurry, Mr Theroux; Hubbardists a vanishing species.
I think it would really be most wise not to make assumptions regarding what he is seeking, regardless of what he says. He is doing a documentary on Scientology. It is unclear how much research, if any, he did before he made his tweets. He may not even know of the existence of the Freezone and Independent Scientology.

My point is that IF people want to be heard, IF they want to be included, this is their notice and this is their opportunity. If the result turns out to be perceived as relatively pro-Scientology, or as a white-wash, I quite frankly won't want to hear people bitch about it. Everyone is on notice.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

Sounds good. Maybe we can send him some suggestions for some questions he might ask. :coolwink: :whistling:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
What exactly does Scientology and Scientologist's believe? Once again, I could not explain IT when I was IN, and now that I am out, I still can't explain what Scientology IS.

I know what it isn't! :wink2:

He usually makes his subjects look like dingbats, dupes, charlatans etc but does it in
a sort of soft almost innocent sort of way. I can't imagine the COS will let him touch
any of their slaves, but OTOH since they don't watch TV they might be lured into
Theroux's own form of bait and switch.

MissWog

Well he won't get an interview. All Journalists are to be treated the same way...ignore!
That's my guess...unless he swears he won't be including any exes, but then I bet they just string him along and he never gets anywhere. Especially right now with the lawsuits and DM running scared!
but what do I know..I'd love to see another doc from any perspective to be honest. Even a puff piece will have foot bullets. Can't hide crazy, just sayin'

CommunicatorIC

That's my guess...unless he swears he won't be including any exes, but then I bet they just string him along and he never gets anywhere. Especially right now with the lawsuits and DM running scared!
but what do I know..I'd love to see another doc from any perspective to be honest. Even a puff piece will have foot bullets. Can't hide crazy, just sayin'
Notice how he is approaching this. If he simply wanted to embed himself, and/or work directly with the Church of Scientology, he could have easily approached them. Instead (apparently) he is TWEETING Scientologists for interviews (probably not realizing that there are no un-official, un-regulated corporate Scientologists on Twitter). To me that indicates he is trying to avoid corporate control.

If there are any un-official, un-regulated corporate Scientologists on Twitter, or lurking, I'm sure OSA is not scrambling to make sure that nobody contacts him without authorization, approval and monitoring.

still here

Patron with Honors

My memory is not what is was, and I have not seen anything new from him for a while, but as far as I remember he meets several members (2 or 3 families) who are members of something.

His easy charm and little boy approach often lulls them in. He spends time with them asking them about their beliefs and practices. (and asks some hard questions). He then "attends" their group, or centre and tries to meet their guru or leader, (and is often not permitted to, or blocked as they are more secretive and more suspicious). My guess is he is looking for a few "practising" Scientologists/families.

Outethicsofficer

My memory is not what is was, and I have not seen anything new from him for a while, but as far as I remember he meets several members (2 or 3 families) who are members of something.

His easy charm and little boy approach often lulls them in. He spends time with them asking them about their beliefs and practices. (and asks some hard questions). He then "attends" their group, or centre and tries to meet their guru or leader, (and is often not permitted to, or blocked as they are more secretive and more suspicious). My guess is he is looking for a few "practising" Scientologists/families.

Any practicing Scientologists unless they're so new to the whole thing they know no better will know well to stay away from Journalists no matter their guise. I tend to think this is more so the case now than it was a few years ago, due to in the main the level of exposure the cult has had at the hands of the media and Journalists. Anyone who has done an "Ups and Downs in Life Course" will know this and nearly 100% of practicing Scios have been through this course.

Anyone doing an authorized interview will find themselves on a routing form to Department 3 the moment it is known.

still here

Patron with Honors
Any practicing Scientologists unless they're so new to the whole thing they know no better will know well to stay away from Journalists no matter their guise. I tend to think this is more so the case now than it was a few years ago, due to in the main the level of exposure the cult has had at the hands of the media and Journalists. Anyone who has done an "Ups and Downs in Life Course" will know this and nearly 100% of practicing Scios have been through this course.

Anyone doing an authorized interview will find themselves on a routing form to Department 3 the moment it is known.

I agree but I think the distance with the media was more upheld many years ago. Certainly in my day we were made very aware that all journalists were enemies and to never agree to any interview. However, in recent times we see Scn has indeed met some, and made comments, John Sweeney to name but one.

I think that this is a product of of true believers arrogance. (ignorance too maybe, and not only scientologists, all cults can exhibit it).

I think they live in such a bubble with their very blinkered view of world and that they actually believe they are "right", and that the tech works.

They often genuinely believe that Scientology is wonderful, helpful and assisting people all over the planet, they want to tell the world how wonderful it is, (how else do you clear the planet?).

They are also quite often naive and gullible when dealing with the media, think of the clip of Tommy storming off, of Miscaviage looking deeply uncomfortable, of Tom losing his cool?

Many journalists are far quicker and more manipulative than them, it is their trade.

So good-hearted believers who are convinced they can get the real message across get sucked in, as in the above cases and end up looking like idiots.

Prime fodder.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

He usually makes his subjects look like dingbats, dupes, charlatans etc but does it in
a sort of soft almost innocent sort of way. I can't imagine the COS will let him touch
any of their slaves, but OTOH since they don't watch TV they might be lured into
Theroux's own form of bait and switch.

Maybe we shouldn't tell about his form of journalism. :coolwink:

tetloj

I would love for him to look into the CCHR

Jon Ronson's book 'The Psycopath Test' would give him good insight into the stance on psychology

Maybe we shouldn't tell about his form of journalism. :coolwink:

Well, did you know his parents are RIGHT UP there in BP and he is connected to all sorts of opinion leaders in local goverment around E.G?.....and he has reality on past lives and I heard that once he had a headache when he was in a restaurant and a student from a local org was there and she have him a touch assist and he had this big cog! and the headache totally as issed