What's new

Open letter to Leah Remini

Leah - I want to say I really enjoyed your book - I finished it this morning. I waffle between whether Tom Cruise is Miscavage's tool or he is worshiped by him. There is some sort of bromance going on. I guess in the classic Scientology meaning of the word, Tom is not a suppressive, in that he's promoting the subject, (or was) but the how he does that - mano a mano with Matt Lauer, publically belittling Brooke Shields, Dancing with Couches or his nasty treatment of Naz, I can see your point he is harming Scientology's image, rather than helping it.

Perhaps that's because of all of the love bombing, that has jacked his ego (sorry to use a word from another practice) so straight up and vertical that he has lost touch with reality. But whatever, the whole idea you presented that his wedding was deliberately used as a massive PR coup for Scientology, was something that had never occurred to me. Knowing that, it is no wonder she divorced him, and thus proving your point that he 's a suppressive.

So thank you - it was a really clear read, and I appreciate your honesty.

Best, Mimsey

Last edited:

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I would love to see it as a movie, even if it were just a made for TV movie.

The book I'd like to see as a movie is Blown For Good.

It has Marc Headley escaping on his motor cycle and then Claire escapes and is chased halfway across the country.

If only it could end with Miscavige going to prison it would be perfect.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I have a two inquiries for us former trained ex scios. I'm reading Leah's book Troublemaker. Near the end of Chapter Four she defines WOG as "Well and Orderly Gentleman". In Jenna's book the same or similar definition occurs. Back in the bad ol' days the Tech dictionary I had defined WOG as "Worthy Oriental Gentleman". Does the West Coast have an alternate definition that came into later use or is it verbal tech or did Miscavige change the meaning of the acronym? I'm wondering where this use came from.

In chapter eight Leah writes
"According to LRH, each of us has something like 800 million overts...."
Say what??? Where the hell did that info come from? I didn't do OT levels or train beyond Class IV or Level B of the Briefing Course. Does this info appear in confidential materials or a tape that I never heard or verbal or hidden data line?

Clues anyone?

I have a two inquiries for us former trained ex scios. I'm reading Leah's book Troublemaker. Near the end of Chapter Four she defines WOG as "Well and Orderly Gentleman". In Jenna's book the same or similar definition occurs. Back in the bad ol' days the Tech dictionary I had defined WOG as "Worthy Oriental Gentleman". Does the West Coast have an alternate definition that came into later use or is it verbal tech or did Miscavige change the meaning of the acronym? I'm wondering where this use came from.

Say what??? Where the hell did that info come from? I didn't do OT levels or train beyond Class IV or Level B of the Briefing Course. Does this info appear in confidential materials or a tape that I never heard or verbal or hidden data line?

Clues anyone?

I remember from the Tech dictionary and from the yellow Student Hat/PRD dictionary it meaning "Worthy Oriental Gentlemen."

And that definition of it goes as far back at least to Rudyard Kipling.

The poor lady is simply confused.

As far as the other point, I have no data other than my own 200 million overts.

The Anabaptist Jacques

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

Clues anyone?

I recall it meaning (in the cult) "WithOut Goals" ... there were other definitions too (outside the cult) ie "Western Oriental Gentleman".

:confused2:

Anonycat

Crusader

Clues anyone?

It was the same on the West Coast. Since forever. I think someone made up a new definition, because that is not the correct one. It's always been Worthy Oriental Gentleman. As far as the second question, it sounds like something a Reg would say. I have never seen nor heard of any lecture or written mention of it.

I just looked it up, and found this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wog

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron

I find that meme ironic because the actual woman that Lorraine Bracco was portraying in Good Fellas was Karen FRIEDMAN Hill - a 100% Jewish woman that an Italian gangster married and fell in love with exactly because she didn't take any shit. So for that image text that reads "Jewish Women: Do not fuck with them, even if you're a gangster" is far more apt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Friedman_Hill

(Henry had to hide his gold crucifix and tell her parents he was "half" Jewish (the good half!) when he went to her house to pick her up for a first date; didn't matter they still hated Henry's guts and with very good reason. lol.)

It was the same on the West Coast. Since forever. I think someone made up a new definition, because that is not the correct one. It's always been Worthy Oriental Gentleman. As far as the second question, it sounds like something a Reg would say. I have never seen nor heard of any lecture or written mention of it.

I just looked it up, and found this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wog

What a fun word :duh: - how did I believe what Ron said it meant?

W.O.G.S are in Australia, it is a racist term used against Italians, Greeks, Lebanese and Maltese. Wogs wear tracksuits, use a lot of hair gel and wear lots of gold. Wogs are known to hang out with their cousins alot and go clubbing. driving hotted up cars while pumping dance music.
What is WOG? WOG is "Offensive term for a black person" or "A foreigner"

Wog is a slang word in the idiom of Australian English and British English, usually employed as an ethnic or racial slur and considered derogatory and offensive.

In British English, wog is an offensive racial slur usually applied to Middle Eastern and South Asian peoples. In Australian English, wog is a term used as a racial slur for people from Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, and the Mediterranean region of the Middle East.

Origin[edit]

The origin of the term is unclear. It was first noted by lexicographer F.C. Bowen in 1929, in his Sea Slang: a dictionary of the old-timers’ expressions and epithets, where he defines wogs as "lower class Babu shipping clerks on the Indian coast."[1] Many dictionaries say "wog" derives from the golliwogg, a blackface minstrel doll character from a children's book published in 1895, or from pollywog, a maritime term for someone who has not crossed the equator.

Suggestions that the word is an acronym for "wily Oriental gentleman", "working on government service", or similar, are examples of false etymology.
See? Even the great and powerful Wizard of Ron got it wrong....

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I remember from the Tech dictionary and from the yellow Student Hat/PRD dictionary it meaning "Worthy Oriental Gentlemen."

And that definition of it goes as far back at least to Rudyard Kipling.

The poor lady is simply confused.

As far as the other point, I have no data other than my own 200 million overts.

The Anabaptist Jacques

TAJ, your case is in far better shape than the average person since you have 600 million overts less than they do.

I'll just chalk it up to Leah getting her information mixed up. Maybe it was a reg's comment as Anonycat speculated. I have noted that a lot of scio tech stuff that Leah references in her book are not exactly spot on and I find sometimes confusing the way she writes about it. Nevertheless I'm enjoying the book. Her non-scio life is far more interesting to me than her scio life.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Western (or Westernised) Oriental Gentleman apparently began as a derogatory British Army term.

Wikipedia (scroll to the bottom) even has the cult definition, I just recall it meaning "WithOut Goals" (a derogatory word for non scientologists).

Scientology
The word "wog" is used by Scientologists to refer to non-Scientologists. Scientology's founder L. Ron Hubbard defined wog as a "common, everyday garden-variety humanoid ... He 'is' a body. [He] doesn't know he's there, etc. He isn't there as a spirit at all. He is not operating as a thetan."[11]

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

I have to say that most exes who think it means "Worthy Oriental Gentleman" somehow managed a total brain fart - how would that definition become "wog" in Scientologese? Think about it for a second.

I grew up with the word in Britain - including such gems as "wogs begin at Calais". there was no doubt that it was insulting and no doubt that it was an offhand insulting and dismissive term for those who were identifiably "not British".

And the term is used in Scientology in the exact same way.

Just some editing here -

For those who subscribed to the "Worthy oriental gentleman" faux etymology

How did you reconcile THAT with the use in Scientology? I mean, seriously - how on earth did that make any sense at all?

It was coined as an insult originally and it was adapted by Hubbard in the exact same manner.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
It's interesting to note the differences in interpretation of the word 'WOG' here. 'Worthy/Westernised Oriental Gentleman' being one.

In the part of North London where I grew up there was one definition and one definition only, and that was that a WOG was a dark-skinned person from the Caribbean or the continent of Africa, and we understood it to be derived from the word 'golliwog'.

The golliwog, golliwogg or golly was a black character in children's books in the late 19th century usually depicted as a type of rag doll. - Wikipedia.

golly.jpg

My apologies for any offence caused.

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have to say that most exes who think it means "Worthy Oriental Gentleman" somehow managed a total brain fart - how would that definition become "wog" in Scientologese? Think about it for a second.

I grew up with the word in Britain - including such gems as "wogs begin at Calais". there was no doubt that it was insulting and no doubt that it was an offhand insulting and dismissive term for those who were identifiably "not British".

And the term is used in Scientology in the exact same way.

Just some editing here -

For those who subscribed to the "Worthy oriental gentleman" faux etymology

How did you reconcile THAT with the use in Scientology? I mean, seriously - how on earth did that make any sense at all?

It was coined as an insult originally and it was adapted by Hubbard in the exact same manner.

Hubbard sourced that definition. Heard it myself on a taped lecture many years ago. No big deal really when considering Hubbard made stuff up on the fly and often with disregard to facts. However, you are correct. The term is used derogatorily.

As a NZer, When I read "wog" in policy/tek, I understood it as a word used to put down non scientologists (unenlightened by Hub's genius).

I instantly understood it as a term borrowed from the racist slur as explained by the Brits and Brit expats, and others. In NZ, we did not use it precisely as Brits may have regarding origin of people it was applied to. I heard it used to refer to Italians or Greeks or those of indeterminate Euro-origin. I think the racial slurs for Pacific Islanders were different; not "wog".

Anyhow, I had a sort of inbred understanding that Brits used it in their particular way, and I always understood that it was a Brit word, just because I heard it on Brit TV, more than we used it ourselves.

Thing is though, when I heard someone (possible a course super) in the org tell a public person that it meant "Worthy Oriental Gentleman" I instantly recognised that he said that because he did not want to say it was a racist term being used by Ron. This scenario was repeated in different settings. Any NZer would have known it was a racist slur, of British origin (as far as we knew), at that time. There were one or two foreigners who came through and were genuinely in ignorance of the term and needed to ask, and then were NZers, who knew, but a strange kind of cognitive dissonance made them ask for a definition.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
What a fun word :duh: - how did I believe what Ron said it meant?

See? Even the great and powerful Wizard of Ron got it wrong....

The common British usage at the time of LRH at Saint Hill had the connotation of "trash person", someone who was "not one of us", a Third Worlder.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Hubbard sourced that definition. Heard it myself on a taped lecture many years ago. No big deal really when considering Hubbard made stuff up on the fly and often with disregard to facts. However, you are correct. The term is used derogatorily.

Oh yes, I know Hubbard did that - he was passing along a "definition" which had been coined in polite society in order to make the word seem slightly less objectionable. My comment was aimed at the mental gymnastics of "worthy oriental gentleman" eliding over to "someone who is not even trying". How did this not generate cognitive dissonance? I had no problem understanding Hubbard's use of the word and I doubt that any Kiwi, Aussie, South African, Canadian or brit from that time period would either. He intended it to be demeaning and insulting.