OSA and The Children of God.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was "flirty fished" once by two girls, one in particular cottoned on to me. It was rather pleasant to my naive 16 year old self! :wink2:

But I knew a cult when I saw one, so declined the invitation! :yes:

Then a few years later I was beguiled by Hubbo's DMSMH and parked my doubts about cults in favour of his superficially "scientific" thesis! :duh:

If those cults don't get you one way, they get you in another! :duh::duh::duh:

Sharone and FTS, I agree with you entirely. It is for the innocent kids that I protest scientology! :thumbsup:

I remember the first Anon raid on St Hill, when we walked around the back of the estate, and the little toddlers at the glass doors having their party in the castle, looking excitedly and innocently at the people in funny masks. And the adults who put up posters on the doors to shield their children's eyes and their awareness from anything that might be wrong with their indoctrination! :grouch:

The governments who fail to investigate these cults properly are guilty of negligence towards the children!

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
Free to shine wrote;

Wow, you got to meet them! What brave people they are. I have the utmost empathy for that family.

It seems The Children of God is much more extreme than scientology, but it is not. It's just that the concentration is more on sex. In fact in the book it says some of the ways they operated were based directly on scientology techniques.

Yes, I met Kristina and Celeste, I thought they were extremely brave in speaking out about their experiences.When you think of adults sexually abusing children, it makes my blood boil and all in the name of some perverted entity that thinks of themselves as a god. It is a cruel world.

Speaking of scientology, I am continually haunted and reminded of this post which I found on alt religion scientology when I first got on the net.

Life aboard Scientology's ship 'The Apollo' in 1968
Posting of Steve Manning 8 Mar 2000

Working twelve hour days for little or no money. Sleeping in over crowded dormitories with strange adults led to sexual abuse. And all this in the good name of Scientology. If any of you sick fucks who are in the business today can explain why this happened to me, especially while "God" himself was on board, I'll be happy to know.

http://sexual.taxexemptchildabuse.net/

In fact the whole of Mike Gormez's Tax exempt child abuse website is a frightening picture of life for children in Scientology, whether it was in 1968 or today.

Sharone Stainforth

Lionheart wrote;

Sharone and FTS, I agree with you entirely. It is for the innocent kids that I protest scientology!

I remember the first Anon raid on St Hill, when we walked around the back of the estate, and the little toddlers at the glass doors having their party in the castle, looking excitedly and innocently at the people in funny masks. And the adults who put up posters on the doors to shield their children's eyes and their awareness from anything that might be wrong with their indoctrination!

The governments who fail to investigate these cults properly are guilty of negligence towards the children!

I remember also Lionheart, and couldn't agree with you more regards governments who fail to investigate the negligence towards children who have grown up in cults.

I'm still waiting to hear back from our own new government with regards some of these issues.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
?Wasn't River Phoenix?

In Australia around the early to mid '90s there was a Government raid on a group called "The Family" or "The Children of God".

They lived communally and the children were kept in a creche under the care of one or two members, their parents were expected to work serving the group, but the upshot was it was believed by the Dept of Community Services (DOCS) based on information provided by defectors that the children were being abused, neglected and sexually interfered with by the adults.

This group believed in free love and the women were expected to "body route" and recruit new members through a technique known as "flirty Fishing". They were regarded highly if they actually slept with the new public to ensure his participation.

Based on the evidence at hand the children were taken away by DOCS in what is now considered a largely bungled case.

I was briefed at the time about it from an OSA terminal, I think it was Vicki Dunstan, then Hannah. I remember her detailing how it was an attack by SPs on religion and how OSA were in there helping them to defend the case and get their kids back. While most would call it child sex offenses "The Family" called it "loving the children". It seems OSA and the Church of Scientology agreed.

I particularly recall her nodding and telling me how they were "really nice people" (add vacant stare) and how we had an obligation to help them as this attack signaled a potential loss of religious freedom for all Scientologists.

Well, eventually OSA succeeded in getting the kids back from the SP government that was bringing down the darkness of night upon the last freedoms man has.

Now the founder, David Moses Berg had an adopted son who later wrote his experiences outlining his father perversions, his name was Ricky Rodriguez.

Ricky was among nearly 50 of the children who grew up in "The Family" that have subsequently killed themselves. His suicide was more significant than most for two reasons, firstly, as I said, he was the stepson of the Founder (deja vu?) and secondly he sought out his mothers best friend, who was someone who had interfered with him on many occasions, he stabbed her to death before going away and shooting himself in the head. This was in 2005.

The devastation and fallout from this small group is horrible to behold and the scars live on in the recovering victims that were born into and grew up in that nightmare.

Who knows, it well may have been cleaned up by the Govt. here in Australia before the real damage was done without the intervention of the Church of Scientology and the ever vigilant OSA.

Wasn't River Phoenix (and his siblings) born into and raised for awhile in this cult?

Sharone Stainforth

Minnie wrote;

Note the section about his having lost his virginity at age 4.

This is terrible, I had no idea.I scrolled down and had to stop reading the stuff the 'family international' had written, it is gross.

AnonKat

Crusader
Oingo Boingo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jItz-uNjoZA

Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oingo_Boingo

Oingo Boingo was an American new wave band. They are best known for their influence on other musicians, their soundtrack contributions and their high energy Halloween concerts. The band was founded in 1972 as a performance art group called The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo, and from 1976 it was led by songwriter/vocalist Danny Elfman, who has since achieved substantial renown as a composer for film and television.

The group's format changed twice. In 1979, it changed from a semi-theatrical music and comedy troupe into a ska-influenced New Wave octet and shortened their name to Oingo Boingo.[5] In 1994, the band reshuffled its lineup, adopted an alternative rock sound and rechristened themselves Boingo. The band retired after a farewell concert on Halloween 1995, having reverted to the name Oingo Boingo for the concert.

minnie

Patron with Honors
I felt the same.

I have a friend who after I revealed my scientology past to her surprised me by telling me she had been in the Children of God. She didn't tell me specifics except that flirty fishing was used alot, and that she had a period in her life where she came close to suicide. It didn't help that she had missed out on a good education.

I didn't know alot about this cult except apart from catching some of the scandal on TV in the past. But I was reminded of OSA's defence of this group which of course would have only added to the misery of my friend in front of me.

Minnie wrote;

This is terrible, I had no idea.I scrolled down and had to stop reading the stuff the 'family international' had written, it is gross.

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Steve Hassan's book Combatting Cult Mind Control has an amazing story of a family he helped get out of the Children of God.

Getting out of it is the same shit we're doing....

"Late night cab rides to the airport, handlers trying to 'salvage' you, getting back home safe, not answering your phone, they show up at your front door anyway...."

I've had 5 :)omg:) of them show up in person in the last two weeks!

I'm SICK of it!

AnonKat

Crusader
ARE THEY STILL DOING THIS

Steve Hassan's book Combatting Cult Mind Control has an amazing story of a family he helped get out of the Children of God.

"Late night cab rides to the airport, handlers trying to 'salvage' you, getting back home safe, not answering your phone, they show up at your front door anyway...."

I'm SICK of it!

I AM CRYING FUCKING CULTS And yes I know It was not me that got hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69S2fI_GAzo

minnie

Patron with Honors
I'm foggy on the specifics but in the 90s Jan Eastgate etc organised a religious freedom type of march which included crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Some members of the Children of God had been invited and actually marched with us all.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

I've been wanting to read this book for a while now even since meeting Steve several months ago at the Boston Megaraid. This gives me even another reason why! :yes:

I'm SICK of it!

Maybe putting up a hidden video camera/microphone outside your door would make for some interesting future postings here on ESMB. :coolwink:

This is really heartbreaking to watch this. :bigcry:

Feral

Rogue male
I'm foggy on the specifics but in the 90s Jan Eastgate etc organised a religious freedom type of march which included crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Some members of the Children of God had been invited and actually marched with us all.

I was in that march.

Didn't know that I was fighting for the rights of a child abusing cult as well as Scientology!:duh:

Div6

Crusader
I think it is really important to shine the light on the Scumbaggery of OSA...perhaps we could do a big glossy "Info Pack" type thingy for government officials and others new to the scene, highlighting the criminal acts of the GO\OSA over the years, as well as the groups they DO support.....just so pollies can have a heads up on who\what they are getting in bed with.......

Feral

Rogue male
I think it is really important to shine the light on the Scumbaggery of OSA...perhaps we could do a big glossy "Info Pack" type thingy for government officials and others new to the scene, highlighting the criminal acts of the GO\OSA over the years, as well as the groups they DO support.....just so pollies can have a heads up on who\what they are getting in bed with.......

That's my intent Divvy.

OSA and The Children of God have enjoyed an unholy alliance without any scrutiny, right now with the revelation of potential cover ups of sex offenses, child abuse, labour law violations and fraud within the CofS in Australia I thought it might be wise to shine a bright light on it.

Hubbard had a lot to say about the criminality of others, let's see if it applies here as well;

Doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists and the government form a tight clique. Only the government would support such people as the public hates them.

From all this we get another datum:

INDIVIDUALS WITH CRIMINAL MINDS TEND TO BAND TOGETHER SINCE THE PRESENCE OF OTHER CRIMINALS ABOUT THEM TENDS TO PROVE THEIR OWN DISTORTED IDEAS OF MAN IN GENERAL.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
I recall in the 70's the GO had formed a close alliance with the Moonies and were defending them when they were "under attack". I don't recall what the attack was.

Minuet #1 in G

Patron with Honors
I recall in the 70's the GO had formed a close alliance with the Moonies and were defending them when they were "under attack". I don't recall what the attack was.

I remember this and also I remember awaiting data to write a press release in support of Jonestown mass suicide blaming this on the CIA or some such. An experienced reporter with the Adelaide Advertiser suggested that the church should not hitch its little red wagon to this matter. Probably wise counsel but why should it heed advice about positioning itself against a raving loony who ended up murdering his congregation?

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

I also remember this. I remember OSA rounding up us Boston staff (around 1979 or early 1980's) to attend some kind of court hearing that the Moonies were involved with. I don't recall the particulars of the case though. :unsure: