ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

OSA capabilities

Discussion in 'Office of Special Affairs' started by Emma, Aug 29, 2019.

1. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Naah! It wasn't the OT's, it was Commander Birdsong and he did it all by himself.

2. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

That's a story I would believe.

He-man likes this.
  3. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

No Ideal Orgs appear to be in danger and I'm sure thousands of a dozen Volunteer Ministers are getting ready to travel to the Bahamas as soon as it's safe, to rebuild any infrastructure that was destroyed give touch assists, pass out Way to Happiness booklets, and provide any other assistance as needed.

tesseract likes this.
  4. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

Down to Cat 3. Winds at 120. Still in the same spot, Bahama's taking it all. Still winds of 75 around Miami and storm surges. They are waiting for an eastern high pressure area to descend and push it north.

5. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

Will they fly out on the Revolta Express?

6. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

The Cat 5 Labor Day Hurricane of 1935

7. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

I'm quite sure that OSA has order that hurricane and all the OSA volunteers who distracted us all by posting weather reports have been at their programs again. :D :sorry: :hemademe:

Meanwhile this is going on...

https://tonyortega.org/2019/09/03/t...art-one-the-lesser-whales/#comment-4603287898

and this

https://tonyortega.org/2019/09/03/t...art-one-the-lesser-whales/#comment-4603212981

but nothing on David Miscavige plotting on the 11th floor of the HGB building to hack the scientologyabuselawsuit website and break into the plaintiffs attorneys offices. :lousyputer: :gossip: :bignono:

8. Wilbur

Wilbur Patron Meritorious

Premises are never provable. You're confusing mathematics with the real world.

9. Wilbur

Wilbur Patron Meritorious

No, you've got your dates wrong, Stratty. Alex Hurricane Higgins was only the runner up in the World Snooker Championship in 1980. You're probably thinking of 1982.

Cat's Squirrel likes this.
  10. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

Oh yeah, we are just so mean to you. At least we tell you to your face.

Lurker5 likes this.
  11. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

Many interactions can look like gaslighting but it is the intention of the one employing it. A gaslighter wants to destroy you. Not everyone who makes a critical remark is out to destroy you. It's best to study the subject well so you can spot it when it happens or pass on it when it isn't.

Lurker5 and tesseract like this.
  12. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

I remember that I used to think it was the nuts getting one of their shiny plaques and a 10,000 dollar T shirt but now I think I was just nuts.

13. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

Why has a thread on OSA capabilities turned into a Hurricane Dorian Update thread?

14. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

Insouciance.

15. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

I donna know, Maybe because Mike Rinder has ordered OSA to get us all spinned in?

16. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

Marx, Lenin and Stalin all struggled with dialectics. They started out trying to understand logic that included mysticism as a variable but found that to be too abstract for class revolution doctrine and evolved into materialism but by the 1900s physics started breaking down the physical universe to the point where it was about as abstract as mysticism so what became important to them was what was observable but that is again dependent on perception and now they are pretty much back to mysticism again with everything being relative and subject to reinterpretation while still pushing materialism. I think they lost the plot because they were never really interested about logic - they were interested in forming revolutionary doctrine. Again the problem is motivation and self-interest. That is probably the biggest variable

I think if anyone is going to have a sensible debate they need to be willing to agree on the parameters of the specific issue without getting too abstract. Obviously if one's position is not logical or the ramifications are harmful or need to be obscured then they will be unwilling to agree on parameters to that degree. That is how I perceive much of the debate about Scientology. So much of what constitutes Scientology is not provable or even observable but the net harm it causes is, so one side must avoid anything that disproves Scientology or proves it's harm. That will be the side that is most dependent on deflective rhetoric, blame and division. I have noticed that much of Alanzo's premises depend upon logomachy or getting bogged down in arguments about words instead of things that can be agreed to be observable.

The whole agenda to stop calling Scientology a cult and to characterize critics as the cultists is basically logomachy. If Scientology funded a study to replace fair gaming or gaslighting as it applies to minority religions in the vernacular it would probably be something fancy and devoid of any derogatory meaning like "Perception Inversion" and ironically if you don't go along with the study and the new term you are still gaslighting and ignorant for not respecting the study. So the underlying motivation is really about deflecting and redirecting criticism and not reaching a logical premise or to make it impossible to conduct a sensible conversation about the subject in general.

Hubbard not only redefined words and created new words but he created a contextual bubble that made all words conform to Scientology's interests. That in itself is a special kind of indoctrination AND training. I would expect Scientologists to naturally gravitate to and depend upon logomachy as a basis for debate.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/logomachy

logomachy
    noun
    lo·gom·a·chy | \ lō-ˈgä-mə-kē
    \
    plural logomachies
    Definition of logomachy

1 : a dispute over or about words
    2 : a controversy marked by verbiage

Did You Know?
    It doesn't take much to start people arguing about words, but there's no quarrel about the origin of "logomachy." It comes from the Greek roots logos, meaning "word" or "speech," and machesthai, meaning "to fight," and it entered English in the mid-1500s. If you're a word enthusiast, you probably know that "logos" is the root of many English words ("monologue," "neologism," "logic," and most words ending in "-logy," for example), but what about other derivatives of "machesthai"? Actually, this is a tough one even for word whizzes. Only a few very rare English words come from "machesthai." Here are two of them: "heresimach" ("an active opponent of heresy and heretics") and "naumachia" ("an ancient Roman spectacle representing a naval battle").
    First Known Use of logomachy
    1569, in the meaning defined at sense 1
    History and Etymology for logomachy
    Greek logomachia, from log- + machesthai to fight

tesseract, Wilbur, scooter and 2 others like this.
  17. Cat's Squirrel

Cat's Squirrel Gold Meritorious Patron

Scientology's plan at the moment seems to be to departicularise the argument; to characterise any attacks on them, however well justified, as attacks on the right of Scientologists to believe what they want and then on the right of anyone to follow a religion outside the mainstream, i.e. to claim that their critics are religious bigots. As I've said before here, few people would give a scooby what they believed, Xenu and all the rest, if they didn't routinely abuse people and rip them off.

18. PirateAndBum

PirateAndBum Gold Meritorious Patron

:questions:

19. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

I think that this has been the plan all along. Kult has been trying to create “interfaith” relationships since before I joined in 1979. It’s been moderately successful in that it’s become the fallback position of “mainstream” cults like Catholicism etc.. I guess somewhere there are Hubbard Advices on this subject telling the Faithful how to gain “religious acceptance”

20. Glenda

Glenda Crusader

Nice to see you here Scooter. It has been a long time since our paths crossed. Hope all well with you and your family.

It's all part of the safe-pointing thing. "Allies made" (or similar wording) is a weekly stat that is counted in the OSA stats.