What's new

OT 8 Magic tricks at events

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Show me the papers or patents, and I'll be happy to eat crow.
Here you go for some:

Rusell Targ:

Xenon-Helium Laser at High Pressure and High Repetition Rate, Russell Targ and Michael W. Sasnett; U.S. Journal Appl. Phys. Letters, vol. 19, 1971, pp. 537-539.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3171053.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3444479.html

Harold E. Puthoff:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3624421.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5208844.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5845220.html

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Stan Gerson came to an event when I was in back in the late '80's. He put on a great magic show. It was no different than other magic shows I had seen, but he did a nice job linking rings, pulling rabbits out of hats etc. Very entertaining. The staff was utterly blown away, attributing it to his OT abilities. At the time I just figured they'd never been to a magic show, and the thought came to me that it was what they wanted to believe so they made themselves believe it. I just thought it was cute they were so devoted.

. . . . . IF ONLY I had taken this one step further in my mind at that time. I had realized that the staff believed Stan Gerson's magic tricks were OT abilities because they wanted to believe it, but the thought didn't cross my mind that they believed all of the "tech" because they wanted to so badly. :duh: It wasn't "cute" at all. It was flat-out gullible.

Thank Youuuuuuuu!

That is the kind of post I live for on ESMB!

There's a thing that happens to me when I read such marvelously entertaining and literally "unbelievable" stuff like that, only found at the 4-way intersection of Naiveté, Gullibility, Delusion & Stupid,

Upon encountering such deliciously diabolical delicacies my immediate reaction is always something like this……..

Tiger Lily
The staff was utterly blown away,
attributing it to his OT abilities.

HelluvaHoax!

OMG, no wayyyy!
LOLOLOL
No really, you're kidding right?
LOL
No way!!!!!!!!!!
LOL
But really….come on, that's a joke.
Right?
Please tell me you're kidding!
Unbelievable!!
LOL
hahahahehehehahaha
I don't believe it!
No really, that didn't really happen, did it?
GOD! NO WAY! THAT'S SO STUPID!!!
Okay, that didn't happen.
LOLOLOL
It didn't happen, right?
LOL
Please tell me it didn't happen!!!!!
lolololololol
They believed he was showing real OT abilities??!!!!
Nooooooooo!!!!
LOL
CRINGE!
ROFLMAO
CRINGE!
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
OMG I was a member of that stupid cult!
CRINGE
LOL
ROFLMAO

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
There are clams who actually think Misscabbage is "like about OT16". I actually had a guy say that to me! He hadn't' found out yet about the hidden teleprompter(s). This guy has spent/donated/wasted $970,000 on the cult.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Scientologists are programmed to be extremely susceptible to hypnosis, so it doesn't get much easier than working a crowd of Scientologists, but it even works on non-Scientologists.

[video=youtube;jTwCMX5sUQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwCMX5sUQU[/video]

Fascinating video. Terrific example :thumbsup:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
There are clams who actually think Misscabbage is "like about OT16". I actually had a guy say that to me! He hadn't' found out yet about the hidden teleprompter(s). This guy has spent/donated/wasted $970,000 on the cult.

I recently was approached by Div 6ers, and mentioned that it was odd that if the OT levels were so great, then why hadn't Davey Boy gone to the top of the Bridge.

They insisted he had, and I said it must be really recent... was that released at an event or something that it happened. They assured me, it had, and I thanked them for "updating" me, but I really felt bad because there was a bit of spin behind their eyes.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.

• Favorite things/random words: Note the fabric lining the hamper. In that tufted corner are 60 identical pieces of paper. He grabs the basket by the tufted corner, allowing the fabric to shift covering the audience responses and exposing his prepared ones.
  • Guess Whom: The deck of picture cards was a "stripper deck". He made sure the selected cards were put in upside-down so that he could move those four cards to the bottom of the deck without anyone noticing.
  • Locked Box After getting the name, Doris, he tells his story about the box as a distraction while he electronically transmits the word "Doris". If you look closely the "coin" is mirror-plastic, and was engraved by the laser head from a blu-ray burner contained inside the little red box. The wool and the two wooden boxes block the small amount of noise produced.
    1. Binaural Hypnosis: All stage hypnotists are fussy about their choice of subjects. Binaural sound is just a faster way to cull the non-suggestive ones.
    2. Being a plank: Under genuine hypnosis this is "dead" easy. (The speed with which he achieves the hypnosis could be considered "OT".)
    3. Drinking vinegar: I did similar to someone else while still in High School.
    4. Automatic writing: The "pencil" did nothing, the card was pre-written. How she picked out the guy with 23.40 in change I cannot fathom. OR he wrote the card after the event and switched it, because attention is heavily distracted from the card itself while de-smocking and counting the change.
  • Seance cage: Mostly inexplicable, but I'm not giving away the sneaky secret of the chalkboards! If you listen to the spirit bell, it is a different sound to the prop-bell.
  • Enigma voting was rigged just like the random words. Note that they all have to re-arrange themselves into a new order to the music of New Order. Quite how he finished this by arranging all the people in the right order escapes me.
The first rule is "Don't believe everything you see." He clearly has more than one assistant on the stage, so "No stooges or actors" is not necessarily entirely true.
Where I have put forward an explanation it is doable even if it differs from how "Derren done it"..

Loohan

Am I Mettaya?
It's so funny that you mention this.

At the Corona, one of the "Hotels" in Copenhagen where staff used to live, god I hope they don't live there anymore, Locals in the area used to leave doggy bars on the streets. I remember there was always someone coming in to the AOSH cursing, with boo boo bar cream uinder the shoes almost every single day.

Almost like someone mined the area intentionally. :)

That reminds me... there were a lot of homeless people around the area of Austin org when i was on staff (Reagan era :coolwink:). There was a back alley entrance and hallway...

I remember once the HAS called several of us to pick up a crashed-out drugged guy back there. He was alive but never woke up as we each picked up a limb and carried him out and set him on the back alley loading dock at night.
Walked away. Who cares if he gets mugged or something.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh God.

Russell Targ.

SOT knows a lot more about the guy's physics than I do, but unless s/he's been a defense contractor, I may know a little more about his reputation. He was well known in that community.

As a crackpot.

No, I take that back. As a fucking crackpot.

There are plenty of smart people, especially math-smart people, who fall into crankhood. This is expecially true of people who are not trained in the philosophical side of science: what is truth ("with a small "t"), and how do we find it and evaluate it in a world where all our theories are in some way false? Engineers, who would be excessively bothered and slowed in their work with philosophical considerations, are fed an exhaustive list of rules of thumb that some of the less thoughtful and more gullible ones take to be universial truths. Those types are especially prone to lending their technical expertise to pseudoscience when they reach into areas where they have no real credibility. The skeptics who fight Young Earth Creationism call this the Salem Hypothesis.

In science we have something similar called the Nobel disease. But I don't bring that up to insinuate that Targ should have gotten a Nobel for his work.

He shouldn't have.

Targ is a very smart guy. I would say almost an idiot savant when it comes to math. He did develop the very first Frequency Modulated Helium Neon laser, as well as LIDAR methods for detecting wind sheer in aircraft.

But he never even got a Ph.D. and he is not a theoretical phsycist, he is an applied pshycisicst, and basically is an Engineer, so now we are back in Salem Hypothesis territroy again. All his actual technical publications are about engineering developments, and other collaborators have had to put his experimental results onto firm theoretical ground. He claims far too much credit for his various inventions, as well. Research, especially defense research, is a collaborative effort. But as with most pseudoscientists, he needs to stretch his credentials a bit becasue his pseudoscience is so obviously flawed. The Nobel Disease is enough to sour scientists on argumentum ad auctoritatem, and Targ isn't even close to that level, as SOT indicates.

When I went to take a look at his pubs, I decided to look at Puthoff's, too, and holy shit!

You know, it takes a lot of chutzpah to come to an EX Scientology board and promote the "research" of a practicing scientologist who used other scientologists as test subjects into paranormal research. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

As noted by Martin Gardner:

Puthoff began his career as a dedicated Scientologist. He had been de¬clared a “clear”—a person free of malicious “engrams” recorded on his brain while he was an embryo.

Oh, a Natural Clear, eh?

And this guy:

The Targ and Puthoff experiments were part of the government funded research at Stanford Research Institute (SRI) from the beginning of the 1970's until 1992, when the project was transferred to the Science Applications International Corporation (Wiseman, 1998). The tests Parker refers to where conducted during the first decade with alleged high scoring subjects like Pat Price and Hella Hamid. Some of them had been recruited from the Scientology Church, due to the fact that Puthoff at the time were a member of the sect (Alcock, 1998).

My bold.

There were a lot of crackpots floating theories and getting money for this shit on both sides of the Cold War. Because, OMFG, what if it's true? Nukes won't be worth a fart in a windstorm, then! The Cold War brought out the worst in a lot of people.

None of the psychic stuff ever panned out, though. Not Targ's, not Kulagina's, not anyone's.

A final note on something that's of special interest to me. I keep poking at insanity in LRH's ancestors, because outright insanity and a predisposition to goofy fucking beliefs does tend to run in families. Targ's father owned a Chicago bookstore with a large occult section and ended up working for major publishing houses pushing pseudoscientific bullshit:

Russell inherited his psi beliefs from his father, William Targ. When I lived in Chicago I used to visit the father’s bookstore on North Clark Street, a store he opened when he was twenty-two. It had a large section devoted to books about the paranormal and the occult. After working for a time as an editor for World Publishing Company, in Cleveland, Targ moved to Putnam in Manhattan where he rose to editor-in-chief. His entertaining autobiography, Indecent Pleasures, was published in 1975. At Putnam Targ was responsible for many best-sellers, including Erich von Däniken’s notorious Chariots of the Gods. (In his autobiography Targ calls it a “quasi-scientific” work on archaeology.) Under his editorship Putnam also published a raft of books about psychic phenomena, such as Susy Smith’s Book of James in which she reports on channeled messages from the spirit of William James.

Targ married the sister of another famous person of unstable mind, chess genius and famous reckuse Bobby Fischer, and sadly his daughter seemed to have inherited a double dose of the stupid:

William Targ’s beliefs in the paranormal trickled down to his son Russell, and now they have descended on Russell’s attractive and energetic daughter Elisabeth. Her mother Joan, by the way, is the sister of chess grandmaster Bobby Fischer. Elisabeth is a practicing psychiatrist with an M.D. from Stanford University, and psychiatric training at UCLA’s Neuropsychiatric Institute. Ms. Targ is firmly convinced that persons have the power to use psi energy to heal the sick over long distances even when they don't know the sick but only see their photographs and are given their names.

Sadly, those beliefs killed her, or at least hastened her death.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
OT 8 REVEALED!!!

(kind of sad that a Scientologist at those events thought it was real "magic"! LOL)

Here you go. . . guessing a four digit number:

Imagine knowing something that would normally be impossible to know. For example you might want to reveal someone’s surname, even though you never met them before. You might want to know what their best friend’s hamster is called. Whatever it is, this Prediction effect will allow you to do so. In this case we will reveal the PIN number of a person’s bank account.

Basic Effect
You ask to borrow a pen and pencil from the subject. You confirm with them that they have a PIN number for their bank and that there is no way you could possibly know it. You write down a 4 digit number and return them the pencil. You ask them your pin number and it matches what you have written on the paper.

Full Methodology
To perform this effect you need what is known as a ‘Swami Gimmick’. This is a small device, which looks a little like a thin flesh coloured rubber band with a pencil nib in it. You can buy them from any magic store. They are designed for secretly writing information. If you don’t want to buy a swami gimmick, you can just break a piece of lead off the end of a pencil and wedge it under one of your finger nails. Personally I don’t use a swami gimmick, I find that lead from a pencil works brilliantly.

Before you try to perform the trick; take a piece of lead, find a way to attach it to your finger, I put mine just under my nail sticking out. If you bite your nails a tiny bit of sticky tape will work to hold it in place. Practice writing with the gimmick, try to make it look as much like your handwriting as possible.

You: Have you got a pen and pencil I can borrow there?

Subject: Yes

You: Great! Now let me just get things straight... You’ve got a bank account with one of those plastic cards - is that right? You have a PIN number for the card? Is that right? You’ve kept it secret, so there is no way that I could know it... is that right?

Subject: Yes, yes, yes, yes.

You: OK, what I want you to do is hold out your hand, place it flat on the table; I just need to be holding onto your wrist for this to work.

(This is the misdirection needed for the trick. Whilst you are holding their hand, explain to them how its possible to get clues about what a person is thinking just by holding on to a part of their body. Talk about eye accessing cues using the information I gave you in the previous effect, they aren’t needed for this trick - but the more ways you can distract attention away from the real method the better!)

You: Your PIN number is 4 digits long. I want you to visualise the 1st digit. Visualise it brightly in your mind, draw the shape of the number with you mind, let it burn and image there. Keep visualising.... (allow a few seconds of silence to pass) Stop.

(You need to repeat this visualisation process for each of the 4 numbers. At this point you should pretend to write a 4 digit number down. Just move the pencil across the paper very lightly, so it makes a noise as if you are writing but doesn’t leave more than a very faint mark. Make sure the subject can’t see that you’ve not actually written anything.)

You: Right, I’ve made my prediction, take the pencil back.

(Don’t make a big deal of passing the pencil back to them. However, the mere fact that you don’t have the pencil any longer will remove any suspicion that you have another way to write with the swami gimmick!)

You: What is your PIN number?

Subject: 1234

You: So it would be pretty amazing if I got that right?

(By asking the above question, you are delaying things by just a couple of seconds - this gives you the time to write the number they have just told you on the paper with the swami gimmick (or the pencil lead stuck in your nail.) With practice you will be able to write with just one hand, so you can be waving the piece of paper around as you are writing!)

Subject:
Yes

You:
Take a look at this!

Closing Notes

This is truly incredible effect. It is a very simple concept, but magicians frequently sell tricks based on this effect alone for many pounds. You can of course do it with anything! I’ve gone up to girls at clubs and bet them a kiss I can guess their second name - and it’s worked. Try it on people you’ve just met and win a drink out of it! People really are truly amazed - because they never consider the mere existence of the pencil lead!

Awesome! Thanks Hoaxie - now, hows about a little "Regging Magic Trick" - you know, the kind where the REG gets the guy to refinance his home WITHOUT wifey's permission....or hows about the magic trick of getting a guy to liquidate his 401K - for the IAS - ALL OF IT!! Promises of money coming back w/o any effort and how BIG THE BEAN IS!! LOL

START

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Heh - anyone interested in the "ILLEGAL PC TRICK"?

You know the one - a guy or gal is "illegal" - connected to a journalist, went to a psych, spent a nite in a Psych ward cuz Father drove them nuts for a day, worked in CIA, slipped a little LSD, xanax, prozac or a variety of other PSYCH drugs, looked at the confidential Xenu and Body Thetan info easily obtainable on the net, looked up the CLEAR COG (put my reactive mind there - mocked it up but can control it) or any other varities of excuses Scientology uses to eventually LABEL people, once they have all of their money, and kick them out of FLAG.

It is known by the small Class 5 Org that the person is "illegal" but (some auditing is better than no auditing - think) they get to start their journey of spinning up the Bridge to annihilation of their family, bank account and stability (those items they think about which they operate from to form their identity).

Once they get to a certain point - they are shipped off to FLAG or another higher Org for their "CCRD" or some other "program":eyeroll: so they typically are excited about going out of town to receive some special treat from the higher Org.

This is done to get them alone and far away from all support from family and friends....because they are going to get suppressed beyond belief...the hammer is coming and it is going to hit hard...

Upon arrival at Flag - they are given their TIP and regged for a butt-load of money to put on account.

They go through the routing form and their account is debited for that first intensive.

This is done to get their "lawyered up" contract signed (but you get no lawyer to review the contract nor do you get a copy of it - you sign everything w/o question because your TRUST YOUR CHURCH....Ever read one in a new unit of time? :omg: It is MAGIC how you ever allowed yourself to sign one!

Now - it is very cleverly and covertly done - but this contract deems all money anywhere with Scientology is now deemed a "donation"!!

Here is the real MAGIC - Scientology gets to keep it unless WE decide you are worthy of any refunds or repayments and we have the authority to decide how many hoops you will jump through.

If you question the contract - they will LIE to you and tell you it is only for your current service and they have to call all money "donations" because they are a CHURCH - but it is FOR Scientology to keep ALL OF YOUR MONEY AT EVERY ORG YOU HAVE PAID SERVICES!!

It is buried in the very fine print of the "slick" lawyered-up contract. What is kewl is this 60 year old Criminal Organization has perfected the "science of fleecing"...it is really magical!

Typically, they make the PC wait up to 10 days to see the MAA - done to maximize enturbulation (a clever mind-control technique).

It is to be expected during that wait - the REGGES/ Carnival Barker's stragically placed at the Fraud Scam Base will fleece them of every dime they have - this ensures the state of "utter confusion" and w/o any family or friend support - they are now primed for the ultimate betrayal....they are like BUTTER and will do anything they can to get on with the show....

They finally are allowed to go in-session and are allowed up to a max. of 1/2 hour of auditing (just enough to dip into that intensive) where the auditor will end session and ship them back to the MAA so they can get their gift of "covert invalidation and nullification" to send them on a lifetime spin!!

Finally, the MAA will see them to deliver the news - "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE BASE and CAN NO LONGER RECEIVE AUDITING - YOU ARE AN "ILLEGAL PC"! Please LEAVE NOW"!!
They receive the BOOT off the base....:whistling:but before they leave - they are routed to the various regges who will now pick the meat off the bones of this poor sap that is completely spinning, in apathy and total confusion! But they typically won't say ONE PEEP - "no case on post" - "must have done something" - "never critisize Scientology" etc.

They will be shown "the world going to hell in a handbasket" videos and heavily regged for the money they just put on account! The state of mind the "illegal" is in makes it very easy for them to want to do "something about it" - and will give it all away!!

Many people have received this magic trick according to my investigation - more than you even know...

It certainly is MAGIC how Scientology keeps padding their billion dollar reserves whilst fleecing and cannibalizing the members...

Remember -
"Covert invalidation and nullification is the social intercourse of the SP" LRH:coolwink:

Last edited:

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
No, I'm not; and I admit that Lockheed Martin and patents do sound more solid. I also see that Targ co-authored at least one paper on FM lasers with S.E. Harris, and Steve Harris is someone I've heard of — rather a grand old man, in fact.

Russell Targ himself is still no Steve Harris. I'll concede, however, that he may be a respectable middle-of-the-pack laser jock.