ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Oz ABC Four Corners on Scientology March 8

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by behindmycamel, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Discussion forum? :)

"Tommy's a wanker but Ann Archer's a bit of a MILF"
    "You gotta be a moron to join a cult like that" etc.

(not verbatim)

Paul

2. oneonewasaracecar

oneonewasaracecar Gold Meritorious Patron

That's just gas. If you look closely, their are no teeth in what he is presenting as his mouth. Tommy is upside down, mooning the interviewer. You'll also notice how much his eyes dart around, they're googly eyes that have been stuck to his butt and are jiggling around.
    You have...

Carmel, everyone at work said the same thing - TD is a creep and the response about the RPF and TD being on drugs. Also people were saying - why should I pay tax and these people don't?

3. minnie

minnie Patron with Honors

The show was riveting. I watched it with some non-scientologists and they too were riveted, and furious over the Andersons and Joe Reaich being prevented from seeing their kids. And the haggard, sleep-deprived and demoralised appearance of the crew on the ship spoke for itself. I still can't get over Hana Whitfield talking about the slop bucket...it just keeps coming back to me at random moments throughout the day. Surreal...

Well done to all concerned, and thankyou too to the particular individual who had been working hard for some time now lobbying 4 Corners to look into scientology in the hope that that government officials would get involved in investigating the cult. I asked his permission to acknowledge him here.

Well done, Alert! :happydance:

4. Emma

Emma Con te partirĂ² Administrator

I second this. I hope it made him very happy to see his vision realised :)

5. KnightVision

KnightVision Gold Meritorious Patron

This 'X-Files' Expose is one hard hitting & effective series of very personal and emotional stories by some very wonderful people. It really communicates.

Watching Tom Davis deny everything, as usual... I had this realization:

It is believed (and often evidenced) by a growing number of Ex'es and or Never Been In's that Scientology 'Tek' is an extremely tricky and deceptive practice wherein it dupes one, first, into a self created acceptance of 'their' awful, difficulty laden 'whole track', secondly to 'become aware' that it exists and thirdly to 'suddenly realize' that only the 'Tek' can help them 'erase their whole track'.

There are many who believe otherwise and thats just fine.

Yet in terms of Ex SO staff, it appears quite universally to be true.

A. Scientology 'Tek' is used to trick and deceive SO staff into self created acceptance of 'their' awful/difficulty laden Scientology Staff 'Whole Track'.

B. The SO staff member eventually 'becomes aware' that this scenario exists.

C. After leaving, by either being fearfully held in silence or by official denials of their outspoken statements... they come to 'suddenly realize', the real meaning of those fateful words...

the 'Tek' can 'erase their Scientology Staff whole track'.

.....Of course the 'promises' are standardly over inflated, and often fail or backfire completely.... :D

6. rhill

rhill Patron with Honors

I was pleasantly surprised to see Hana Eltringham Whitfield back in the media, and no doubt Marty Rathbun would have been against featuring her, as she provides key insights that it was also that bad under Hubbard's rule (so whatever Rathbun's efforts here weren't successful in that case.)

I was expecting Marty Rathbun to ignore yesterday's Australian coverage from his blog, and so far I am right.

Thanks Hana!
    (Need more former members from Hubbard's time)

7. KnightVision

KnightVision Gold Meritorious Patron

Rathburn.... Phfffft... 'Do I smell Puthy?'

8. nozeno

nozeno Gold Meritorious Patron

Bump

Nice one Emma.

9. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

I don't know who has been telling you what, but it was about a week after the "government officials got involved in investigating the cult" (Xenophon's speech in the Senate), and because of that, that Four Corners decided to make the doco.

I heard recently of someone claiming to have "lobbied" 4 Corners, to do a doco on Scn. I was curious as to whether or not he actually had, so I asked one of the 4 Corners team, whether or not he actually had, prior to them deciding to make it. She told me, in no uncertain terms, absolutely not.

Feel free to quote me to that individual.

10. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

And thanks to one of our darling girls here on ESMB, who had the smarts to think of Hana, and find her for the doco!

Hana was just awesome!

11. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

Love your avatar Carmel!

Lady Penelope was my fave!

12. minnie

Carmel, I am not implying that this individual as opposed to another individual caused the government officials to get involved. I am saying that he had had this idea for some months now - for the purpose of activating our politicians where scientology is concerned.

I know that Alert had been wanting to get a 4 Corners show happening based on what he told me at the time he first asked me if I knew anyone that could be interviewed. Thus I sent Scooter, then you a message about it back in November mentioning that Alert wondered if anyone would like to be on 4 Corners. If I didn't tell you it was Alert, then I told Scooter it was. I remember you being quite happy being informed, and that you would see about who could be interviewed. Besides that, I knew for a long time - a few years maybe before that Alert was toying with the idea of how good it would be to get 4 Corners involved, but it was not yet acted upon. I'm a bit vague on the details as I do not have ancient pm's in front of me.

I don't see the problem here. Is there one?

I was simply acknowledging his efforts.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  13. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Agreed. I'd posted before having seen the show, while I was still thinking of the NYTimes story. Marty really wasn't relevant here, thank god.

Zinj

14. OHTEEATE

OHTEEATE Silver Meritorious Patron

We are winning

Just a friendly word of advice to friends: we are winning; let's not blow it by infighting. We ARE getting our stories told, and your stories are just as pertinent as mine, or his or hers. They are the real stories of real people who are GOOD people who tried their best to help and assist others, and that help was BETRAYED. God bless anyone who has the guts to stand up to DMs goons squad and talk to the press, and take their chances. I goddamn salute you, with tears of pride in my eyes. I have your back. Stand up and fight. Other people on ESMB or anon or Aaron Saxton or Marty Rathbun are NOT YOUR ENEMY. DM is the evil son of a bitch who betrayed us all, and I say we do not rest or let up until that bastard is put away for good. At that point, let those who wish to continue picking up the cans do so, and the rest of us can refrain from doing so as we choose, in Peace and accord.

15. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

Yeah, got it. I now know that "Alert" is *not* who I thought you were referring to. From what I've heard, Alert has made some very good efforts.....good on him and all who have been! :)

I would give credit to Xen and his media advisor for being instrumental in getting Four Corners to finallly do a doco. But then they wouldn't have even been on board in the first place if wasn't for the French Court convictions, and *much* (too much to list) before that.

No.....In the last 48 hours or so, I've heard of a few claiming credit for things they didn't do, and it was just getting on my nerves. All cool :)

16. minnie

Thank Christ, lol!! :)

17. Outethicsofficer

Outethicsofficer Silver Meritorious Patron

It is sometimes hard to hold a steady course in rough seas, I think all in all we are making progress, we are at least free to move and be, those still within the clutches of the church are the least free and I feel for them, we can at least chart our own course even if at times we are limited to some extent by our considerations but I realize some of those considerations are not mine but ones that were to some extent implanted from within the matrix of Scientology.

I take my hat off to all who help us to hold to our course of action.

James

18. Happy Days

Happy Days Silver Meritorious Patron

Yep ... "When the going gets tough the tough get going."... I think this is pretty much where we are at.. and what a tough bunch we are. :thumbsup:

19. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

You sure are a tough one, my dear!

I can't help but smile about what ya said before the doco went to air.....about how much was being put on the line, and the hope that it'd be worth it, or make a difference.

Holy moly, what a bloody *difference* it's made. Your testimony and the testimony of the others, put together by the fine 4 Corners team, has made *all* the difference. We now have never scio, never critics, who are "OL's" in this country, fighting the fight for us.

Worth it? Sooooo - worth - it - ALL, and what a *huge* difference!!!

Lots of love and appreciation to you and all! :happydance:

20. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

I can't get over how well-done and professional that vid was. Watched the whole 45 minute vid on their site.

And :wow: did Tommy Davis ever lie sooooo much! And the way he would 're-word' things too :angry:

I am so proud of the Headleys, the Andersons, Laura, Hana, etc for speaking
    out!!! :clap: :hug: