What's new

Paul Haggis on Australia's Nine TV Network

mate

Patron Meritorious
Hi guys.
I realize that this should be in NEWS and I’m sure it will end up there, but it is red hot, so forgive me.This item has been posted on the Australian Nine Network, one of the two major TV networks in Australia, the other being the Seven Network. BTW, this is the network in which the Packer family had a controlling interest, yes James Packer.

Enjoy, David.

Oscar-winner Haggis quits Scientology
10:28 AEST Tue Oct 27 2009

Oscar-winning filmmaker Paul Haggis has severed his ties with the Church of Scientology in protest against the sect's position on gays and its treatment of members, it has been reported.
The Canadian-born director, who scooped Oscars for the hit films Crash and Million Dollar Baby, resigned from the organization in a letter to church spokesman Tommy Davis.
The letter, which surfaced on the blog of former Scientologist Marty Rathbun, was dated August 19.
Blasting the highly secretive organization as "morally reprehensible," Haggis took Davis to task for not denouncing statements by the church's San Diego branch supporting Proposition 8, a controversial ban on gay marriage in California.
"The church's refusal to denounce the actions of these bigots, hypocrites and homophobes is cowardly. I can think of no other word," Haggis wrote in the August 19 letter that was later published on the blog of former Scientologist Marty Rathbun.
"Silence is consent, Tommy. I refuse to consent."
Haggis, 56, said he had urged Davis to speak out against the ballot measure but received no reply.
He also criticized the church for its alleged policy of "disconnection" in which members must cut ties with anyone deemed critical of the organization that counts Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Fatal Attraction star Anne Archer — Davis's mother — among its followers.
Haggis said his wife, Deborah Rennard, had been forced to "disconnect" from her parents after they resigned from the church, and did not speak to them for a year and a half.
"Although it caused her terrible personal pain, my wife broke off all contact with them," Haggis wrote.
"I refused to do so. I've never been good at following orders, especially when I find them morally reprehensible."
He repeated accusations by other former Scientologists that church leader David Miscavige routinely abused staff mentally and physically, and that the group denigrates former members by leaking details of their private lives to the media.
Founded in 1954 by science fiction novelist L. Ron Hubbard, the Church of Scientology claims to have over eight million members who attend 6,000 churches in 159 countries.
The church could not immediately be reached for comment.
( http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/920638/oscar-winner-haggis-quits-scientology )

Blue Spirit

Silver Meritorious Patron
The Ship Is Going Down

This is another major leak in the "Church's" ship's hull.

This can be visualized as the crew running all around the ship stuffing

mattresses and what not in all of the big leaks, and more are coming

beyond their ability to handle.

Haggis and now two Major books released on the same date !!!:thumbsup:

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is another major leak in the "Church's" ship's hull.

This can be visualized as the crew running all around the ship stuffing

mattresses and what not in all of the big leaks, and more are coming

beyond their ability to handle.

Haggis and now two Major books released on the same date !!!:thumbsup:

Don't forget Nightline. This is like a torpedo at midship. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at OSA HQ, wherever the hell that is. Poor ole davey must have ulcers the size of manholes at this point. Poor thing. :bigcry:

WOW, Scn must be expanding like never before!!!!!!! :duh: :duh: :no:
:dieslaughing:
Pinchy

While most well managed organizations are streamlining by reducing their "brick and mortar" facilities and using the internet to deliver products and services; the cult is bankrupting themselves by building empty store fronts and facades in an attempt to try and attract new members. Unfortunately the for them, the public who looks at Scientology as nothing more than a freak show to be used strictly for comedic value.

Lucretia

Patron with Honors
From what I can gather on the net - James packer is still the grand poohba of PBL, which includes channel 9 and the Australian newspaper and others, along with almost every magazine published in Australia. I wonder whether he would exert editorial control from such an exalted position, but knowing our favourite cult, they will take him to task over allowing nasty entheta to grace his media outlets. Now, to whether Packer cares or not - that's another matter.

I also doubt that many of the staff would actually see any of this news. I managed to successfully encapsulate my life, including never reading newspapers, and instantly turning off the TV the minute $cn was mentioned, in case it was bad news.

But anyway it's great news, and will make the general public stay away in droves, and surely some of it must seep through the cracks. Maybe we can expect another exodus from the ranks.