Paulette Cooper, With Help From the Voice, Discovers Her Heartrending Past

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
In the midst of all the articles about Debbie Cook, we shouldn't overlook this amazing article on Paulette Cooper from a few days ago. I've pasted in the first part here, it's well worth the click through for this one.

Paulette Cooper, With Help From the Voice, Discovers Her Heartrending Past

By Tony Ortega Mon., Mar. 5 2012 at 8:00 AM

​In December, I finally got the chance to meet Paulette Cooper when we had breakfast near the offices of the Voice. For many of us who toil in this business of reporting on Scientology, we have no greater hero. Paulette's 1971 book, The Scandal of Scientology, was one of the first exposes of the church and remains one of the best. And no other writer who revealed Scientology's secrets paid a higher price: As we told in new detail on Thanksgiving Day, Paulette was framed by Scientology operatives who were determined to get her imprisoned. She faced 15 years in prison at one point, indicted for sending bomb threats that had actually been faked by the church. She lived with extreme harassment from 1969 to 1985, when the last of 19 church lawsuits against her were finally settled.

Even today, 35 years after an FBI raid on the church turned up documents revealing that Scientology had set out to frame Paulette, there are still mysteries about the plot against her, which church operatives called Operation PC Freakout -- we are making progress even today filling in those details, the subject of a future story.

But there was another, unpredictable outcome from that December breakfast, another part of Paulette's story that suddenly opened up to her in dramatic fashion. And today, we have those details.

You might remember from that earlier piece that Paulette had been in town to see her sister, Suzy, and we casually mentioned what she said the two had been talking about...

...the two of them are still trying to piece together exactly what happened when, as young children, they were rescued from a Nazi camp in Belgium, sparing them the fate of their parents, who were shipped to Auschwitz for extermination. A Belgian man rescued the girls by paying the equivalent of what today would be about $2 million to save 22 children from the camp, and to this day Paulette would like to learn his identity.

Within two days of us mentioning that, Paulette tells me, she had heard from people in three different countries -- Belgium, Israel, and the Netherlands -- and newspapers in both Belgium and Holland had picked up the story.

Since then, we've worked with Paulette to piece together information from people who knew her parents, as well as newspaper archives and other official sources of historical data. Over Presidents' Day weekend, I visited with Paulette at her home in Palm Beach, Florida, and we went over some new photographs and information she'd gathered. We're still hoping to fill in a few gaps, but today we have a much clearer picture of her origins.

This is what we were able to put together.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/03/paulette_cooper_1.php

Veda

Sponsor
The second attempt to frame Paulette Cooper (after the first 1972 attempt was almost successful) was in 1976, and was called Op Freak Out. Amongst the many actions to be done (such as once again obtaining her fingerprints on a blank sheet of paper) was to have it appear that Cooper was making threats against the Arab consulate. The reasoning was that she would be viewed as a likely suspect because she was Jewish.

Some background for newbie lurkers.

From 1980, concerning the 1970s:

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Qa6WIedQ0&feature=related

Part 2, includes interview with and discussion of Paulette Cooper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOBGZyfw3o&feature=related

From 1985: Paulette Cooper discussed and Heber Jentzsch quotes from the Bible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Drk3eVQSg&feature=related

Recent interview with Paulette Cooper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjzOMbY8kfo&feature=uploademail

Interview with Nancy Many. (At 1:30): "Hubbard hated Paulette Cooper. He hated her and he wanted her destroyed."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY76WHmRlYA&feature=player_embedded

From the Affidavit of Tanja Burden http://www.lisamcpherson.org/burden.htm:

"At the Fort Harrison I remained LRH's personal messenger. I observed LRH control the operation of Scientology in various 'Orgs' worldwide from the Fort Harrison. I coded and decoded messages to and directly from Hubbard. Hubbard used approximately 15 codes at this time to conceal his operations, programs, and policies, which he disseminated worldwide. I personally delivered messages concerning Operation Snow White, Operation Freak Out, and other Scientology secret and illegal operations. I also filed these in Hubbard's personal filing cabinet..."

G

Gottabrain

In the midst of all the articles about Debbie Cook, we shouldn't overlook this amazing article on Paulette Cooper from a few days ago. I've pasted in the first part here, it's well worth the click through for this one.

This is a fascinating story. I am so happy for Paulette that she was able to get such important questions answered from publishing her story.

My father was a private in WWII and at Auschwitz on Liberation Day. He collected photos of the Jews that were tortured there that soldiers had posted on their lockers, brought the photos back with him as evidence of what happened there and personally safeguarded them under his bed all his life until the day he died (we were very surprised to find these). I believe my father considered them too inhumane and impersonal to feel right about sending them to a museum, but I understand my sister did so afterward.

His life was changed from that day. He was only 17 years old in WWII and spent the rest of his life serving the public good in every way he could, standing up for those who did not have a voice and with a terrific sense of fairness and justice.

I've seen a few of the photos and have some on disc. The photos are horrendous, the stuff of which nightmares are made.

Veda

Sponsor
Scientology, in the early 1970s, was aware of Paulette Cooper's past and that her parents had died in a German concentration camp. Between phone taps, various spies, and her psychiatric records being stolen (and read by L. Ron Hubbard), Scientology probably knew as much about her past as a small child in Europe, as she did at that time. Scientology had assembled a "time track" for Cooper that was several pages long, featuring details of her life from birth to present time, all of which were viewed, not with sympathy or empathy, but simply as data that would be used in evaluation so as to make more effective covert and overt attack actions.

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
Scientology, in the early 1970s, was aware of Paulette Cooper's past and that her parents had died in a German concentration camp. Between phone taps, various spies, and her psychiatric records being stolen (and read by L. Ron Hubbard), Scientology probably knew as much about her past as a small child in Europe, as she did at that time. Scientology had assembled a "time track" for Cooper that was several pages long, featuring details of her life from birth to present time, all of which were viewed, not with sympathy or empathy, but simply as data that would be used in evaluation so as to make more effective covert and overt attack actions.

The second attempt to frame Paulette Cooper (after the first 1972 attempt was almost successful) was in 1976, and was called Op Freak Out. Amongst the many actions to be done (such as once again obtaining her fingerprints on a blank sheet of paper) was to have it appear that Cooper was making threats against the Arab consulate. The reasoning was that she would be viewed as a likely suspect because she was Jewish.
From the Affidavit of Tanja Burden http://www.lisamcpherson.org/burden.htm:
"At the Fort Harrison I remained LRH's personal messenger. I observed LRH control the operation of Scientology in various 'Orgs' worldwide from the Fort Harrison. I coded and decoded messages to and directly from Hubbard. Hubbard used approximately 15 codes at this time to conceal his operations, programs, and policies, which he disseminated worldwide. I personally delivered messages concerning Operation Snow White, Operation Freak Out, and other Scientology secret and illegal operations. I also filed these in Hubbard's personal filing cabinet..."

Thanks for the great job on these, Veda.

When I was getting out of the church it was the full story of the extent to which the scilons went to harm Paulette that just sickened me on hubbard. As a citizen of the USA, one enjoys freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Hubbard took it on himself to deny these guaranteed freedoms to Paulette, setting himself above the Constitution of the United States.

This one story demonstrates better than any other what the vile, insidious, unconscionable, amoral nature and op basis of scientology really is and that it stemmed directly, only and originally from hubbard.

No one ever brought him or it to task and now it has grown into a monster with a not quite bright but quite sadistic opportunistic megalomaniac at the helm.

With all the illuminating bait in the trap such as 'infinity valued' logic and the Factors, hubbard actually tricked his followers into 'single valued' logic and through processing 'exteriorized' but really 'desensitized' some of his followers to any slightest sense of justice, fairness, compassion, humanity, freedom or reality.

Like an army of lemmings his robot slaves enforced his single value - do only what will raise the stat$, keep the stat$ up, protect the stat$. Fully desensitized so they could freely and without conscience harm anyone deemed a target, these minions operating at the whim of hubbard committed these despicable acts against Paulette Cooper.