What's new

Pension Credit (UK) for Ex-Sea Org 60+

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneyta...tsandothersupport/on_a_low_income/dg_10018692

A few years ago I wondered about my eligibility for a regular UK state pension, having "volunteered" for 23 years in the Sea Org, and working afterwards for several years and paying taxes, but in the US. I discovered that I only needed to make National Insurance contributions *for a further 30 years* and I would then be eligible.

Not too encouraging.

A few weeks ago I discovered about Pension Credit, for low-income people in the UK.

This is how it would apply to someone who is single, over 60, leaving the SO now with no home, no savings, no income, a not unreal situation. Let's assume they are temporarily being helped and housed by an ex and not homeless on the street. A British citizen like that is eligible for Pension Credit, and Housing Benefit. In general terms, that works out to £132 a week for the Pension Credit PLUS maybe £60 a week for the Housing Benefit. Which is enough to pay food, and rent, utilities, and have a bit of spending money on top. For someone who's been in the SO for years, it's actually a LOT of spending money. In other words, the fact of currently being broke and old(-ish) is NOT a stop on getting the hell out of the SO in the UK. :)

Paul

Ant Phillips and I are setting up a foundation (of sorts) for the purpose of helping:

Needy Scientologists' Recovery, Rehabilitation, and Aid Fund.

We are currently keeping alive (with a roof and food) one person, and aiding in his acquiring income and wherewithal.

Our previous foray into this was also successful, a near 80 year old ex Commodore Staff Class Vlll, with only $400 monthly Social Security income. She, now is doing OK.

we're playing this by ear, but the goal is to have a network of people with some money to keep people, who've spent their lives in the Scientology machine, from being rolled over by train of no security net and no sympathy from the Co$.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneyta...tsandothersupport/on_a_low_income/dg_10018692

A few years ago I wondered about my eligibility for a regular UK state pension, having "volunteered" for 23 years in the Sea Org, and working afterwards for several years and paying taxes, but in the US. I discovered that I only needed to make National Insurance contributions *for a further 30 years* and I would then be eligible.

Not too encouraging.

A few weeks ago I discovered about Pension Credit, for low-income people in the UK.

This is how it would apply to someone who is single, over 60, leaving the SO now with no home, no savings, no income, a not unreal situation. Let's assume they are temporarily being helped and housed by an ex and not homeless on the street. A British citizen like that is eligible for Pension Credit, and Housing Benefit. In general terms, that works out to £132 a week for the Pension Credit PLUS maybe £60 a week for the Housing Benefit. Which is enough to pay food, and rent, utilities, and have a bit of spending money on top. For someone who's been in the SO for years, it's actually a LOT of spending money. In other words, the fact of currently being broke and old(-ish) is NOT a stop on getting the hell out of the SO in the UK. :)

Paul

Alot unless you have to pay back a freeloaders.

What age are you loaded off fom the Sea Org?

and is there any requirement to pay a freeloaders then, or are you deemed to have done your term and are exempt from a freeloaders?

BC1

Patron with Honors

What age are you loaded off from the Sea Org?

and is there any requirement to pay a freeloaders then, or are you deemed to have done your term and are exempt from a freeloaders?

The freeloaders debt is not legally enforceable (at least not in the US) so it doesn't matter your age, you should not pay it back.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Indeed i recall a flap when it was found out some Crew were "supplementing" their pay with unemployment benefit at St Hill.

Few more black suits running around after that.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

What age are you loaded off fom the Sea Org?

I routed out in 1996, age 46. They decided I should pay a freeloader bill, but as said, it is not legally enforceable anywhere except on obedient serfs in the Kingdom of Hubbo the False.

Paul

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hope for the Brits. Not so good in the US.

The US has welfare, actually.

Which is separate from social security. Without enough social security credits, a person can't qualify or only gets a tiny stipend, but welfare is something else entirely and we DO have it.

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for the info Paul. I know someone who get's pension credit. It depends on what year you were born whether you are eligable. I lost my job due to government cut backs two years ago and I am 58 so I'm not yet eligable. I have a job now but only three days a week.