What's new

People you got IN Scientology

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
I can't imagine why anyone would ever go back in the Sea Org after successfully getting out whether they remained in Scientology or not.
My (dear disconnected) brother wound up in a career dead end. He did the kind of work young guys are best suited for, for thirty years after leaving the SO. By the time he hit 60, no one would hire him.

He had no savings, no credit, no house, no pension, and no other marketable skills. He'd also run out of sympathetic family members to lean on, and was afraid of becoming homeless.

I have no idea what's going to become of him when the SO offloads him for committing the crime of growing old.
Maybe he's hoping he'll die on post :keelover:

Voodoo

Just a quick interruption to this thread ...

I've been meaning to welcome you to ESMB @Voodoo ... I'm really enjoying your posts and hope you hang around ... welcome @Karakorum too (I just noticed you joined us yesterday).

We love new people joining us.

:welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:
Thank you so much!

Glad to be here, and only wish I'd joined years ago, post cult. I haven't been a part of such open and frank discussions about Scientology.....ever.

It's verrrry refreshing. :yes:

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
Glad to be here, and only wish I'd joined years ago, post cult. I haven't been a part of such open and frank discussions about Scientology.....ever.
After having fled, I needed several years to cut myself off from anything scn related. Shed the lingo, get readjusted to life in "the big outside". I needed that.

Now I spent the past years amongst people who never heard of CoS or just had snippets from celeb magazines ("Oh its some new age stuff for rich Hollywood people"). I guess it feels refreshing to be able to make scn-jokes that people actually get. I just think its time I calmly looked back to my time in scn and come to grips with that part of my life.

Learning what went on in scn and the anti-scn scene since I left is interesting. I've cut myself entirely from all such info for years.

Voodoo

After having fled, I needed several years to cut myself off from anything scn related. Shed the lingo, get readjusted to life in "the big outside". I needed that.

Now I spent the past years amongst people who never heard of CoS or just had snippets from celeb magazines ("Oh its some new age stuff for rich Hollywood people"). I guess it feels refreshing to be able to make scn-jokes that people actually get. I just think its time I calmly looked back to my time in scn and come to grips with that part of my life.

Learning what went on in scn and the anti-scn scene since I left is interesting. I've cut myself entirely from all such info for years.
I suppose we all leave with varying degrees of rejection. Some leave with their belief in the tech fully intact, only rejecting management and their abuses. Some leave with their faith in the tech and management shaken. Then there are some who leave rejecting the whole ball of wax.

And there are shades of gray and combinations of all kinds in between. Myself, I'm in between the first and second types.

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
Well, suffice to say I was never entirely on board with the 'save the universe' crap.
I suppose we all leave with varying degrees of rejection. Some leave with their belief in the tech fully intact, only rejecting management and their abuses. Some leave with their faith in the tech and management shaken. Then there are some who leave rejecting the whole ball of wax.

And there are shades of gray and combinations of all kinds in between. Myself, I'm in between the first and second types.
I know what you mean and I can sympathize with people who left with their belief in tech. Many of the meditative techniques or manipulation/communication/interpersonal stuff is useful. I also wouldn't trash the idea of having a community of people engaged in mutual therapy/meditation.

But all of that needs to be done in a freeform manner, the bureaucracy, money, labour management, rat-culture, needle-watching, strict "adhere-to-the-fucking-LHR-format" mentality needs to go.

In short, most stuff needs to go. Its easier to make something radically new and then maybe just integrate the few positive scn elements. But even most of that can be replaced with its 'real-science' equivalents from gestalt psychology.

Last edited:

Antinatalist

Unfortunately I contributed to the creation of one hardcore Scientologist. I got him in decades ago. I called him up at the org while he was on staff and told him to blow because Scn was a scam. Now I see that he's a Super Power completion. Not something that I'm proud of.

Voodoo

Unfortunately I contributed to the creation of one hardcore Scientologist. I got him in decades ago. I called him up at the org while he was on staff and told him to blow because Scn was a scam. Now I see that he's a Super Power completion. Not something that I'm proud of.
Hey, at least you tried. Your friend can never say that he wasn't warned.

I was warned back in 1983, but like a fool, I reported my friend to Ethics and stayed firmly in the grip of the cult. :(

JustSheila

Crusader
When I was on the EPF, I had a lot of doubts. I chatted with another EPFer who was having a hard time and we had a bit of a bitch-fest. I lent her my suitcase for a weekend and she never came back. I'm sure she knows I would have let her keep it anyway and I'm very proud I helped convince her to blow. :happydance:

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
I tried and failed several times to get friends in.

Later though, I had 2 friends I met in Scientology that I FSMed - one on an OT3 package and another on a clear package.

Happily, they're both out (I worked them harder to get out than I did to FSM them).

We're close friends to this day!

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
So many heart wrenching stories but some with good endings thankfully.

A friend at the time from high school got me and 4 others conned into joining the cult. All but the friend left stemming from the Mission Era Debacle of 1982-1983. The "friend" was a true believer to the end having achieved OT8 then died of cancer at the age of 60 a couple years ago.

I never was one to pressure someone into joining. I took the passive approach and gave books as xmas gifts to family members or telling friends and co-workers tidbits of how much I thought it was helping me out. Fortunately no one took the bait and started on the bridge to total annihilation.

I often think of the people I liked whom I met while in the cult who as far as I know are still in. How would their lives have turned out if they had escaped at the time I did?

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I never got anyone or even tried to bring anyone in. I had reservations about several Policies and practices. I never was a cultie or a koolaid drinker.

I was however an honest student of Hubbard's work and remain so.

Having received great benefit from, most particularly ability to do good things for others it would be highly dishonorable to renounce Hubbard or his work

Dotey OT

Cyclops Duck of the North - BEWARE
Having received great benefit from, most particularly ability to do good things for others it would be highly dishonorable to renounce Hubbard or his work

What good thing is it that you would do for others, and what piece of tech would you use?