What's new

Peter Greene's children

CHRISTOPHER FAIRNINGTON

Patron with Honors
Peter Greene was my father. I last saw him in March 1955 at the end of my younger brother Philip's funeral. I was born in 1951 and have lived in London England all my life. I know very little about my father. I have an elder half brother named Martin, somewhere; and unknown younger half siblings, plus a nephew called Martin McArthur. I e mailed him once when I discovered him during a web search for information about my father. I must have expressed myself badly as he never replied. I have never had any dealings with Scientology. My purpose in being here is to learn as much as I can about him; and to connect and communicate with the family I never knew. (Until now, I hope) I am an open book, all questions will be freely and honestly answered. My own life has been very weird too.

christopher fairnington

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Welcome to ESMB Christopher.

You should fit right in here, most of us have had a weird life too ... at least until we got away from the cult!

I don't know anything about your Father, though I have heard of him ... but I'm sure someone around here will have some information for you (you may need to bump this thread every now and again though).

:welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Christopher, I've just noticed that some valuable info has been posted (to you) on chat ... I suggest that you cut and paste it and add it to this thread so that all the info you gather remains available and visible (chat info will disappear after a few days).

;)

Edit: I went ahead and did it for you (below) ...

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
phenomanon @ phenomanon: I knew him in Phoenix 1953? as an early Dianeticist. Then he went to So Africa, and I went to Texas. We met again in LA after the Mission Holders Conference. We were ships that pass in the night, but we knew each other from a mutual scn 'track'.
Any services that he did in LA would have been with the Old Timers Club, and any auditing there would be confidential. I can't think of his wife's name. She became a Stock Broker after they entered 'the real world' and I bought some absolutely worthless Gold shares from her. LOL! Peter was smart. He was a gentleman, he was tall and quite handsome. Welcome , Christopher.+1 Edited
Today at 6:01 AM
vumba @ vumba: According to my husband, he was married to Dorane Greene, mother of Lori Wood, and he was in Johannesburg with Hibbard in 1956, and devised the Joburg Security Check. My husband knew him in the late 50’s through to 1980 when he lived in Sherman Oaks. He was large as life and a good friend.+1

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
You said you're open to all questions, but feel free to ignore these personal questions if you'd like. It's none of my business but just am curious.
Why didn't your father maintain a relationship with you over the years? And was Scientology a factor at all?

I'm just curious as I know Scientology has been a contributing factor in ruining many thousands of familial relationships over the years.

CHRISTOPHER FAIRNINGTON

Patron with Honors
First, a big thanks for the copy n paste, a skill I never mastered.
Second, answers======prepare for a long tale in innumerable episodes, I told you all I have had a weird life; Peter was chucked out of home at age 16 by his mother. He married and had a son called Martin. This would be in the late 40's. He and my Mother, same age, artist, mutual friends, her family had gone to South Africa as soon as the war ended, she was alone, aged 16, in London, they got together, presumably the sex was marvellous but the relationship was not, I arrived in June 1951, my younger brother Pip at the end of December 1952, mum and dad fell apart in 54 I guess, Peter paid my mum £2 a week for a time, .While we boys were with a childminder, I never learned where Mum was, Pip fell, or was pushed, by another two year old boy, down a flight of stairs and broke his skull. My earliest memory is how I felt and what I saw while the police were investigating later that day. Wham. First memory, and more heavy stuff to follow. Lots. The one time I remember seeing Pater, at the end of Pip's funeral, a tall blond haired man with reddish skin, in a black suit, approached, someone said 'It's his father', he kissed me, said goodbye, turned and walked away. My mum hated him, said every time I asked, 'I am sorry Chris, but there is nothing good I can think of to say about him'. It became her mantra until I stopped asking when I reached 18. Later she told me her said to her at the funeral "I suppose you are going to blame me for this too, aren't you?' which astonished her and made perfect sense to me. She is still alive at 89, the same age he would be, has advanced dementia and lives in the same road we lived from 1956 on, 200 yards from where I now live. Because we are both housebound we don't get to see each other much, unless my sons arrange it and push our wheelchairs. She always acknowledged I have a right to know more about him; but made no pretence, she discouraged me strongly, so my efforts to learn more have been sporadic. I learned a little from two mutual friends of theirs, but most of all from web searches. Peter fell in love with Dianetics immediately, my mum was not impressed in the least. Scientology played no role in my life apart from being Peter's 'religion'. He did try to reopen communication with us in 1960, through a mutual friend; but was told my stepfather was huge and strong. I learned he had died in 1989, through a friend doing a web search for me in about 2002. I asked the Salvation Army to trace him, they used to provide that service, but, as my parents were not married, my rights as son were disallowed. That's more or less it. Some web searches but nothing much until I found this place.

CHRISTOPHER FAIRNINGTON

Patron with Honors
I don't want to have to keep typing your user name, 'trouble' and maybe it is true of you; but I am very touched by the welcoming you are giving me, and, of course I am asking to be allowed to get to know you too.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I don't want to have to keep typing your user name, 'trouble' and maybe it is true of you; but I am very touched by the welcoming you are giving me, and, of course I am asking to be allowed to get to know you too.
That's very sweet ... unfortunately you may find some of us are a bit hesitant to disclose much at all about our 'real' lives here (for various reasons), so please don't be offended if you get some rather vague responses to any questions. Many of us have known each other pretty well for a decade or more (from ESMB) but still choose to remain anonymous on the board.

If you poke around and read some of the old threads you will very quickly get an idea of who you are talking to and will no doubt warm to certain people.

Just hit the 'reply' button at the bottom right of any post you want to respond to (to save writing the full name).

:)

CHRISTOPHER FAIRNINGTON

Patron with Honors
Thanks, and the general caution is obviously wise. On the other hand I am incapable of being secretive, I am always an open book. I just read my sister Lori Wood died a long time ago, it is in a post here that also contains my father's famous debriefing in which he tells the long story of a protracted power struggle that ended with him being removed from the movement. I am very glad I seem to have been welcomed here in a very real way. Genuine friendships have been the best aspects of my life. Looks as though I will be finding more here.

CHRISTOPHER FAIRNINGTON

Patron with Honors
OK there remains a general appeal; since Lori Wood died in 1980, and my father and stepmother died in 1989, are there any other members of the family still living?

Babycakes

Patron
Hello Christopher, I wish I could help you find other members of your family. I'm really sorry about your younger brother and your father saying goodbye like that. That's really heartbreaking.
I knew your father and Doran and Lori at the Phoenix franchise in the mid-60s. It's a long time ago, I don't have really strong impressions. I remember them as being good at running the operation. They were kind and friendly. Sorry I don't have more.
Glad you're here and reaching out.
Cathy

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Oh, I know what you mean. I'm very lazy and I call her trubs. She doesn't seem to mind but will probably almost certainly let us know if I'm wrong. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I knew Peter Greene's other children in Atlanta in the 1970's. This is part of a blended family he had with Doran. I can give you more information if you send me a PM