ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Picket Signs

Discussion in 'Other Locations Pickets and Protests' started by Dulloldfart, Feb 12, 2008.

1. neiljung

neiljung Patron with Honors

The sliding extension mate.

2. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

A good sign is two foam-boards with the pipe in the middle. Looks more professional :) After all, we're being subsidized by Global Pharma!

Clear packing tape around the edges of the foamboards to make them one.

For the extendable, I'd say, use 2 5' poles; one 3/4" and one just thick enough to slide through easily. The PVC pipes come that way; they fit well.

Make enough holes that you can use some kind of pin to keep them at least 6-8" overlapped for strength. If nothing else, you could use q-tips :)

Something not sharp enough to qualify as 'dangerous'

Zinj

3. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

OK, I see.

Do you see anything wrong with my idea some posts back of using the plastic sleeve and card either side of a single foamboard?

Paul

4. Zinjifar

I didn't really look at it that much at the time, but, it sounds at least interesting. A2 is how big? I'd say 24 X 30" would be as large as any sign should be, but, 8" X 11" is too small

The nice thing about using 2 foamboards is that it's rigid enough to stand up to moderate breeze.

A sleeve over them would be even better as far as making for convertible messages.

Zinj

5. Zinjifar

P.S. Kristi Wachter who was from the SF area used plastic sheeting over her signs, since she was used to doing inclement weather pickets. Your sleeve idea sounds better

Zinj

6. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

You guys are rilly into this SignTech thing, aren't ya?

7. Zinjifar

If yer gonna do it... do it insanely competently :)
    Or, just do it.

A card on a popsicle stick works too.
    as long as you carry it.

Zinj

8. Dulloldfart

Roughly, A2 is about 24" x 17". I gave the exact size in metric but can't be bothered to convert it so just measured it with hand-spans.

The 5 mm foamboard seems quite rigid, but I might make some kind of cross-piece arrangement so if there is any wind-shear twisting the board while I hold the handle tight all the strain won't be on the washers or screw-heads holding the board to the pipe.

Paul

9. Dulloldfart

Remember I'm going to be promoting my Robot Auditor, not just spotlighting the CofS, so it is worth it to me to spend a few bucks to do it right.

Paul

10. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

True!

Did you ever think of getting a booth?

11. Zinjifar

A doubled foam-board is far more rigid than anything you could do with a single and braces.

In my experience.

Packing tape around the edges makes it so.

Zinj

12. neiljung

neiljung Patron with Honors

Why the hell not. I've found the robot auditor very limited in scope, personally. Needs real people after a certain point to audit...or I could be wrong.

Great idea and thanks for creating it though.

13. Dulloldfart

Is this a variation on getting a room?

Paul

14. Dulloldfart

I agree. But then I wouldn't be able to use that nice sleeve and interchangeable cards.

Paul

15. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

No. Like when you go to a trade show.

Just kidding.

Not funny now. You ruined it with your limited English vocabulary.

16. Dulloldfart

I did get what you meant originally, but I think the whole idea of the Robot Auditor is too out-gradient for most of the general public. Certainly not worth me spending money on a booth at a fair or show. Then why will I be promoting it? Mainly for the Scn-savvy people. Plus it's free publicity to several thousand people if it makes it onto the local news, and some might benefit from that.

Paul

17. Zinjifar

Maybe I don't understand your sleeve

I would think a double-foam-board, with the pole through the middle and a sleeve over both

Wouldn't that work?

Zinj

18. Dulloldfart

Sure, but the sleeve comes in A2 size, not A2 plus an inch. I suppose I could hack an inch or two off the boards. :)

Paul

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  19. Zinjifar

That's what they're for :)

Use one of the welly-serrated bread knives
    they're best for cutting foam. Make even better edges than razor blades.

Zinj

20. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

K I S S

5ft is good. But one can find someone has a sign in front of one.

The Greek Hoplite spear length of 8 ft is good. Using 19x38 mil wood.
    Light and not considered a weapon. Can be rested on the ground no signs in front. Or held up above where it can be seen if another sign is directly in front.

I used the stuff house for sale signs are printed on. Corrugated plastic.
    very light and tough. Dunno what its called, but had one as we just moved and it was available.