What's new

Plagiarism

AnonOrange

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hubbard stole the e-meter. The patent originator got fair gamed and Hubbard took the credit for the patent.

Last edited:
Hubbard stole the e-meter. The patent originator got fair gamed and Hubbard took the credit.

the e-meter was a party gag back in the 1940s, before Hubbard added it to his scam

emeter.gif

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Is it all based on one man’s work?
Although Dianetics and Scientology were discovered by L. Ron Hubbard, he wrote: “Acknowledgment is made to fifty thousand years of thinking men without whose speculations and observations the creation and construction of Dianetics would not have been possible. Credit in particular is due to:
“Anaxagoras, Thomas Paine, Aristotle, Thomas Jefferson, Socrates, René Descartes, Plato, James Clerk Maxwell, Euclid, Charcot, Lucretius, Herbert Spencer, Roger Bacon, William James, Francis Bacon, Sigmund Freud, Isaac Newton, van Leeuwenhoek, Cmdr. Joseph Thompson (MC) USN, William A. White, Voltaire, Will Durant, Count Alfred Korzybski, and my instructors in atomic and molecular phenomena, mathematics and the humanities at George Washington University and at Princeton.”
http://www.whatisscientology.org/html/Part12/Chp36/pg0636-a.html

Scientology fundamentals By L. Ron Hubbard
Yet the philosophic root of Dianetics and Scientology, the core truth upon which all is based, could hardly be simpler: “The spirit is the source of all,” Ron tells us, “You are a spirit.”
http://www.ronthephilosopher.org/phlspher/page42.htm

Soderqvist1: L. Ron Hubbard was to me a source of organization of knowledge, whatever its merit!

That would be all well and good if Hubbard sited his sources for people to study this knowledge further and understand it's development and origins, instead he goes out of his way to instruct his readers that looking for sources external to his body of work will damage their spiritual growth possibly even irreversibly. That is hardly what I would consider an organizer of knowledge, it's what I would consider a con man.

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Soderqvist1: Volney Mathison was not first with E-meters, Alfred Korzybski in Science and Sanity (1933), have already mentioned that the Psycho-galvanometer is under investigation by Science. Btw, where have Hubbard said that; “you should not look for the Origins and development to Scientology outside Scientology”, or “you shall not study other systems”? Furthermore; isn’t rather common that Religious Leaders are saying that their own religion is the only way to god?

Fundamentals of Thought
Page 18: One is self-determined, then, in any situation in which he is fighting. He is pan-determined in any situation which he is controlling.To become pan-determined rather than only selfdetermined, it is necessary to view both sides.

Soderqvist1: Volney Mathison was not first with E-meters, Alfred Korzybski in Science and Sanity (1933), have already mentioned that the Psycho-galvanometer is under investigation by Science. Btw, where have Hubbard said that; “you should not look for the Origins and development to Scientology outside Scientology”, or “you shall not study other systems”? Furthermore; isn’t rather common that Religious Leaders are saying that their own religion is the only way to god?

Fundamentals of Thought
Page 18: One is self-determined, then, in any situation in which he is fighting. He is pan-determined in any situation which he is controlling.To become pan-determined rather than only selfdetermined, it is necessary to view both sides.

You can't possibly be serious ... can you? Have you ever read Keep Sceintology Working? Hubbard was a con man trying to building, plain and simple.

Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter on Safeguarding Technology

HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex

HCO POLICY LETTER OF 14 FEBRUARY 1965

Remimeo
All Hats
BPI

Keeping Scientology Working Series 4

SAFEGUARDING TECHNOLOGY

[...]

In fifty thousand years of history on this planet alone, man never evolved a workable system. It is doubtful if, in foreseeable history, he will ever evolve another.

Man is caught in a huge and complex labyrinth. To get out of it requires that he follow the closely-taped path of Scientology.

Scientology will take him out of the labyrinth. But only if he follows the exact markings in the tunnels.1

It has taken me a third of a century in this lifetime to tape this route out.

It has been proven that efforts by man to find different routes came to nothing. It is also a clear fact that the route called Scientology does lead out of the labyrinth. Therefore it is a workable system, a route that can be traveled.

What would you think of a guide who, because his party said it was dark and the
road rough and who said another tunnel looked better, abandoned the route he knew
would lead out and led his party to a lost nowhere in the dark. You’d think he was a
pretty wishy-washy guide.

[...]

People have following the route mixed up with "the right to have their own ideas." Anyone is certainly entitled to have opinions and ideas and cognitions—so long as these do not bar the route out for self and others.

Scientology is a workable system. It white-tapes the road out of the labyrinth. If there were no white tapes marking the right tunnels, man would just go on wandering around and around the way he has for eons, darting off on wrong roads, going in circles, ending up in the sticky dark, alone.

Scientology, exactly and correctly followed, takes the person up and out of the mess.

[...]

Scientology is a new thing—it is a road out. There has not been one. Not all the salesmanship in the world can make a bad route a proper route. And an awful lot of bad routes are being sold. Their end product is further slavery, more darkness, more misery.

Scientology is the only workable system man has. It has already taken people toward higher IQ, better lives and all that. No other system has. So realize that it has no competitor.

Scientology is a workable system. It has the route taped. The search is done. Now the route only needs to be walked.

So put the feet of students and preclears on that route. Don't let them off of it no matter how fascinating the side roads seem to them. And move them on up and out.

[...]

Don't let your party down. By whatever means, keep them on the route. And they'll be free. If you don't, they won't.
— L. Ron Hubbard
HCO PL 14 February 1965 KSW 4 Safeguarding Technology

AnonOrange

Gold Meritorious Patron
the e-meter was a party gag back in the 1940s, before Hubbard added it to his scam

emeter.gif

What I find most interesting here is they're suggesting to regular folks that they can "simply" build a vacuum tube amplifier and do it for a few bucks. The skill of average folks back then was vastly superior to what it is today.

My father had a "do it yourself" encyclopedia from 60 years ago and they had the most amazingly complex projects in there. Today's "fix it" books have to explain how to change a lightbulb.

Soderqvist1: Volney Mathison was not first with E-meters, Alfred Korzybski in Science and Sanity (1933), have already mentioned that the Psycho-galvanometer is under investigation by Science.

The first reference to using galvanic principles for the purposes of spirituality & communication of which I am aware was Thomas Alva Edison. He discussed it in the first edition of his autobiography of which Hubbard was certainly aware. Edison is one of the individuals Hubbard acknowledged as "having made contributions".

Edison's comments were in some ways similar to references to "bt's", a fact with which his family, being more traditional "orthodox" christians, was immensely uncomfortable. After his death they ordered that the book be edited and revised removing all such references from subsequent editions. The original volumes remained in circulation and can still be found to this day. I also seem to recall a reference that it had been re-issued more recently in it's original form, but that may not be true.

Shortly after leaving the Co$ in '81 and while I was on OT III in the "independent field" of the day, I ran across an original edition of Edison's book in a public library. It was an interesting read for many reasons but I was especially amused by the stuff the family hadn't wanted in print. :coolwink:

Mark A. Baker

this is a bullshit apologist answer.

No. It is a simple recognition of the dichotomy between the absence of absolutes and Hubbard's tendency to speak absolutely. LRH cautioned about absolutes almost as much as he spoke in them.

Some people "get" the distinction and the implications thereof. Others have a harder time with it. This may be complicated for them by their own personal experiences with the cult.

Mark A. Baker

Veda

Sponsor
No. It is a simple recognition of the dichotomy between the absence of absolutes and Hubbard's tendency to speak absolutely. LRH cautioned about absolutes almost as much as he spoke in them.

Some people "get" the distinction and the implications thereof. Others have a harder time with it. This may be complicated for them by their own personal experiences with the cult.

Hubbard was a manipulator and double talker as are you. You must feel a special connection with him.

The first reference to using galvanic principles for the purposes of spirituality & communication of which I am aware was Thomas Alva Edison. He discussed it in the first edition of his autobiography of which Hubbard was certainly aware. Edison is one of the individuals Hubbard acknowledged as "having made contributions".

Edison's comments were in some ways similar to references to "bt's", a fact with which his family, being more traditional "orthodox" christians, was immensely uncomfortable. After his death they ordered that the book be edited and revised removing all such references from subsequent editions. The original volumes remained in circulation and can still be found to this day. I also seem to recall a reference that it had been re-issued more recently in it's original form, but that may not be true.

Shortly after leaving the Co$ in '81 and while I was on OT III in the "independent field" of the day, I ran across an original edition of Edison's book in a public library. It was an interesting read for many reasons but I was especially amused by the stuff the family hadn't wanted in print. :coolwink:

Mark A. Baker

lol I doubt Hubbard had any idea what Edison was up to, but it does make for nice revisionist history. Hubbard stole the use of galvanic skin response meter from a chiropractor named Volney Mathison. The meter Hubbard used was marketed to psychotherapists and use in psychotherapy long before Hubbard had any idea what it was, and certainly before he had any idea what Edison was doing with galvanic skin response.

EMeter-01.gif

EMeter-02.gif

The party gag version of this device was advertised in the second rate pulp fiction magazines Hubbard used to write for, he later wrote a simple instruction manual for it and attached his name to it.

volney-quiz-meter.jpg

Hubbard was a con man, plain and simple no amount of revisionist history will change that

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
Credit in particular is due to:
“Anaxagoras, Thomas Paine, Aristotle, Thomas Jefferson, Socrates, René Descartes, Plato, James Clerk Maxwell, Euclid, Charcot, Lucretius, Herbert Spencer, Roger Bacon, William James, Francis Bacon, Sigmund Freud, Isaac Newton, van Leeuwenhoek, Cmdr. Joseph Thompson (MC) USN, William A. White, Voltaire, Will Durant, Count Alfred Korzybski, and my instructors in atomic and molecular phenomena, mathematics and the humanities at George Washington University and at Princeton.”

Scientology fundamentals By L. Ron Hubbard

But don't let me see any of them come sucking around here trying to horn in on my cash cow! - LRH

:omg: :hysterical:

Veda

Sponsor
-snip-

If what Edison described in his 'The Diary and Sundry Observations' were the equivalent of "body thetans" which are "blown" per Scientology, then those completing NOTs would be quite dead.

"Take our own bodies. I believe they are composed of myriads and myriads of infinitesimally small individual, each in itself a unit of life, and these units work in squads - or swarms, as I prefer to call them - and these infinitesimally small units live forever. When we die these swarms or units, like swarms of bees, so to speak, betake themselves elsewhere, and go on functioning in some other form in the environment."

For an honest examination of this area, consulting many views, see the 'Are you Haunted?' chapter in 'Messiah or Madman?'

Veda

Sponsor
Although Dianetics and Scientology were discovered by L. Ron Hubbard, he wrote: “Acknowledgment is made to fifty thousand years of thinking men without whose speculations and observations the creation and construction of Dianetics would not have been possible. Credit in particular is due to:
http://www.whatisscientology.org/html/Part12/Chp36/pg0636-a.html

-snip Scientology propaganda link-

Hubbard didn't only plagiarize other subjects, he plagiarized his pretentious 'Acknowledgements' (to the great thinkers of history) !

See page 9 of 'Science and Sanity' by Alfred Korzybski ("To the works of"):

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=198036&postcount=142

Hubbard didn't only plagiarize other subjects, he plagiarized his pretentious 'Acknowledgements' (to the great thinkers of history) !

See page 9 of 'Science and Sanity' by Alfred Korzybski ("To the works of"):

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=198036&postcount=142

I'll never understand why people are still trying to protect Hubbard from the truth, he was a con man who used every one he can in contact with. If you think his material works for you then fine ... use it, but why continue to lie about the man? ... he was a piece of shit.

lol I doubt Hubbard had any idea what Edison was up to, but it does make for nice revisionist history.

Hubbard according to at least some of his associates was familiar with Edison's book. On some occasions when he was citing other's prior contributions he directly mentions Edison. Whether he was referring to these ideas or others is not certain.

The book had been published originally around the time of Edison's death in the early '30s. He speaks of the possibility of using galvanic phenomena to communicate with spirits and also of his own pre-cursor ideas akin to modern concepts of "intelligent cellular automata".

Mathison was the developer of an actual gsr meter which became the prototype of the emeter. His work was significantly later. Whether he was familiar with and influenced by Edison's ideas, I've no clue. It is not at all unlikely given the influence of Edison & his ideas generally.

The fallacy of sourcing: it's not really a question of either/or. The answers are often multiple.

Mark A. Baker

Hubbard according to at least some of his associates was familiar with Edison's book. On some occasions when he was citing other's prior contributions he directly mentions Edison. Whether he was referring to these ideas or others is not certain.

The book had been published originally around the time of Edison's death in the early '30s. He speaks of the possibility of using galvanic phenomena to communicate with spirits and also of his own pre-cursor ideas akin to modern concepts of "intelligent cellular automata".

Mathison was the developer of an actual gsr meter which became the prototype of the emeter. His work was significantly later. Whether he was familiar with and influenced by Edison's ideas, I've no clue. It is not at all unlikely given the influence of Edison & his ideas generally.

The fallacy of sourcing: it's not really a question of either/or. The answers are often multiple.

Mark A. Baker

I have never yet heard a scientific lecture, or a humanities lecture, or ever heard at any conference, or read in any professional journal anything that did attribute and give the reference for any ideas that are not commonplace. It just isn't done. There is no fallacy of sourcing in scientific or humanities professionalism.
Hubbard rarely gives exact credit yet demands of all others that they always give the exact reference for the things he said.
He took credit for the original ideas of others.

The Anabaptist Jacques